Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,426 members, 7,800,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:19 AM

Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas (4932 Views)

The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by babtoundey(m): 3:18pm On Jun 08, 2020
TAO12:
Hahaha!

Gregyboy being agitated and on the defensive for being exposed to be one and the same person as Edeyoung. grin cheesy lmao!

Moving on, your claim that the deity "Olokun" is indigenous to Benin is just as absurd as claiming that "Samudradeva" (the Indian deity) is indigenous to Benin.

Just as the words "Olokun" and "Samudradeva" have absolutely no meaning in your Edo language, they therefore can never possibly be indigenous. cheesy

The former (Olokun) is indigenous to Yoruba, and the latter (Samudradeva) is indigenous to India.

I challenge you to break down the word "Olokun" into its components parts and then give the Edo analysis of each component (if any). grin

cc: BabaRamota1980, MetaPhysical

He will soon come to tell you Olokun is shining okun or red okun (after all red is sacred in Edo culture). He and gregboy think alike. awkward.

2 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by TAO12: 3:21pm On Jun 08, 2020
babtoundey:

He will soon come to tell you Olokun is shining okun or red okun (after all red is sacred in Edo culture). He and gregboy think alike. awkward.

Hahahaha! He is the same person as gregyboy I have exposed him already.

See link where I first exposed him:

https://www.nairaland.com/5846948/benin-yoruba-speaking-empire/12#90427617

3 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by babtoundey(m): 3:24pm On Jun 08, 2020
TAO12:

Hahahaha! He is the same person as gregyboy I have exposed him already.
He must surely be. They sound and think alike.

2 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by TAO12: 3:26pm On Jun 08, 2020
babtoundey:

He must surely be. They sound and think alike.

See these links where I exposed him:

(1) https://www.nairaland.com/5846948/benin-yoruba-speaking-empire/12#90427617

(2) https://www.nairaland.com/5846948/benin-yoruba-speaking-empire/12#90441591

Moreover, he has admitted that the name "Olokun" is absolutely absent in the Edo's tongue. grin

2 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by gregyboy(m): 5:18pm On Jun 08, 2020
babtoundey:

You guys are lost trying to find your history in the past that never existed.....
Tell me why i should believe yoruba own account of ownership of olokun against the scrrenshot edeyoung gave

3 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by gregyboy(m): 5:19pm On Jun 08, 2020
Tao11 is busy matching two different account i guess she is just one step to full time madness

2 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by babtoundey(m): 5:44pm On Jun 08, 2020
gregyboy:

You guys are lost trying to find your history in the past that never existed.....
Tell why i should believe yoruba own account of ownership of olokun against the scrrenshot edeyoung gave

Why wouldn't you believe the account you cited? You cited it and you believe it even when it has weak and untenable backings
Anyways you are asked to give the meaning of olokun, ogun, esu etc in Edo language. People here have given you accurate analysis of their meaning. Many may even volunteer to delve into giving you the Yoruba eulogy of those gods.
Try and convince us in your own way. Just don't try the same tricks you played with the meaning of the word oba. Nobody will buy that nonsense. All those unagreeable terms like shinning Seki, it's red, it's shinning you used to analyse "oba" are awkwardly appalling.

4 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Edeyoung: 6:39pm On Jun 08, 2020
gregyboy:

Tell me why i should believe yoruba own account of ownership of olokun against the scrrenshot edeyoung gave

They are mofos
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Edeyoung: 6:43pm On Jun 08, 2020
babtoundey:

Why wouldn't you believe the account you cited? You cited it and you believe it even when it has weak and untenable backings
Anyways you are asked to give the meaning of olokun, ogun, esu etc in Edo language. People here have given you accurate analysis of their meaning. Many may even volunteer to delve into giving you the Yoruba eulogy of those gods.
Try and convince us in your own way. Just don't try the same tricks you played with the meaning of the word oba. Nobody will buy that nonsense. All those unagreeable terms like shinning Seki, it's red, it's shinning you used to analyse "oba" are awkwardly appalling.

TAO11 aka BabaRamota1980

I told you you will getting insult from me
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by TAO12: 6:46pm On Jun 08, 2020
gregyboy:
Tao11 is busy matching two different account i guess she is just one step to full time madness

No amount of damage control can remedy the damage.

Forget it, you've already been exposed to the whole world as someone with bipolar disorder.

gregyboy:

Tell why i should believe yoruba own account of ownership of olokun against the scrrenshot edeyoung gave

Hahaha! To think this is coming from someone who doesn't know where the Edos/Binis originated from.

You, particularly, have suggested different roots for your ancestors.

Different roots/origin for the Edos such as: Nupe, Igala, Itsekiri, Udo, and even Birnin-Kebbi. grin

Having said that, stop passing off screenshots from your Edo blogs as academic materials.

Even your Edo blog screenshot (as junk as it obviously is) dared not identify "Olokun" as originating ab-initio from the Binis.

Notice that all your brothers and sister whom you called upon for help did not show up. cheesy

They've all actually forsaken you to continue your back and forth clown-jumping from "Edeyoung" to "gregyboy". grin

My question to you, which you're afraid of addressing, still remains as follows:

How come your supposed deity has a foreign name if it was indeed indigenously Edo? cheesy

What happened to its supposed indigenous Edo name? grin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- TAO-Webster Dictionary for Edo Dummies ---

---------------------------------- olokun --------------------------------
noun

o.lo.kun | /əʊ'ləʊku:n/

Definition
: an indigenous Yoruba deity of the sea, and of wealth in general

History
: the worship of Olokun was introduced to some neighbouring non-Yoruba regions

for example, the worship of Olokun was introduced to the Edo regions by the Itsekiri-Yoruba sub-group

Etymology
: Yoruba olu-okun sea lord, from olu the principal one + okun sea

See Also
: the alternative Yoruba name is umale-okun sea spirit, from umale primordial spirit + okun sea

Synonyms

noun imale-okun, umole-okun, imole-okun

4 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Edeyoung: 6:49pm On Jun 08, 2020
TAO12:

A deity which you have absolutely no name for in your native tongue was certainly imposed on you by others -- 100%.

"Olokun" was introduced to the Edo people by your closest Yoruba neighbours -- The Itsekiris.

"Olokun" [from the Yoruba words "Olu-Okun" -- "Lord of the Sea"] is a Yoruba deity with a Yoruba name.

We also alternatively call it by the name: "Umale-Okun", or "Imale-Okun", or Umole-Okun, or "Imole-Okun"; meaning "Spirit of the Sea".

All these are pure Yoruba words. Stop attaching screenshots from Edo blogs and fraudulently passing them off as academic materials.

She keep quoting me, you wasting your time bro.... My scrrenshot have adressed it already all this bull talk you given is irrelevant

Lol, you are so eager to debunk me bro take a chill
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by TAO12: 6:52pm On Jun 08, 2020
Edeyoung:

[s]She keep quoting me, you wasting your time bro.... My scrrenshot have adressed it already all this bull talk you given is irrelevant

Lol, you are so eager to debunk me bro take a chill[/s]

It's not about you, gregyboy. It's about lies. Any where I see lies, I attack and debunk.

See link below to be reminded of how I've debunked and rubbished your Edo blog screenshots. cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/5910322/olokun-worship-indigenous-benin-other/1#90453243

3 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by babtoundey(m): 6:56pm On Jun 08, 2020
Edeyoung:

TAO11 aka BabaRamota1980
I told you you will getting insult from me
Ki ni baba n so bayii??
Aitete mole, ole n moloko.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by TAO12: 6:59pm On Jun 08, 2020
babtoundey:

Ki ni baba n so bayii??

Hahaha! I swear!

4 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by MetaPhysical: 8:40pm On Jun 08, 2020
Edeyoung:

She keep quoting me, you wasting your time bro.... My scrrenshot have adressed it already all this bull talk you given is irrelevant

Lol, you are so eager to debunk me bro take a chill

If you didnt want a debunk, why did you open the thread?

Bring an independent, non-edo source for this info on Olokun.
...and please hurry up! grin

3 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by TAO12: 2:08am On Jun 09, 2020
MetaPhysical:

If you didnt want a debunk, why did you open the thread?

Bring an independent, non-edo source for this info on Olokun.
...and please hurry up! grin

I wonder oo!

In fact, he can bring Edo author(s) if he likes, but provided they are academics in the relevant field, and their works are peer-reviewed.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by scholes0(m): 8:19am On Jun 09, 2020
TAO12:

A deity which you have absolutely no name for in your native tongue was certainly imposed on you by others -- 100%.

"Olokun" was introduced to the Edo people by your closest Yoruba neighbours -- The Itsekiris.

"Olokun" [from the Yoruba words "Olu-Okun" -- "Lord of the Sea"] is a Yoruba deity with a Yoruba name.

We also alternatively call it by the name: "Umale-Okun", or "Imale-Okun", or Umole-Okun, or "Imole-Okun"; meaning "Spirit of the Sea".

All these are pure Yoruba words. Stop attaching screenshots from Edo blogs and fraudulently passing them off as academic materials.

You really are schooling these Bini boys over here.

6 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Sammy07: 8:37am On Jun 09, 2020
TAO12:

They should tell us
What Olu means in Benin, what Okun means, some names and sentence where each of the words are used and their meanings

4 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by nisai: 10:31am On Jun 09, 2020

1 Like

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by nisai: 10:35am On Jun 09, 2020
TAO12:

No amount of damage control can remedy the damage.

Forget it, you've already been exposed to the whole world as someone with bipolar disorder.

Hahaha! To think this is coming from someone who doesn't know where the Edos/Binis originated from.

You, particularly, have suggested different roots for your ancestors including.

Different roots/origin for Edos such as Nupe, Igala, Itsekiri, Udo, and even Birnin-Kebbi. grin

Having said that, stop passing off screenshots from your Edo blogs as academic materials.

Even your Edo blog screenshot (as junk as it obviously is) dared not identify "Olokun" as originating ab-initio from the Binis.

Notice that all your brothers and sister whom you called upon for help did not show up. cheesy

They've all actually forsaken you to continue your back and forth clown-jumping from "Edeyoung" to "gregyboy". grin

My question to you, which you're afraid of addressing, still remains as follows:

How come your supposed deity has a foreign name if it was indeed indigenously Edo? cheesy

What happened to its supposed indigenous Edo name? grin

--- TAO-Webster Dictionary for Edo Dummies ---

---------------------------------- olokun --------------------------------
noun

o.lo.kun | /əʊ'ləʊku:n/

Definition
: an indigenous Yoruba deity of the sea, and of wealth in general

History
: the worship of Olokun was introduced to some neighbouring non-Yoruba regions

for example, the worship of Olokun was introduced to the Edo regions by the Itsekiri-Yoruba sub-group

Etymology
: Yoruba olu-okun sea lord, from olu the principal one + okun sea

See Also
: the alternative Yoruba name is umale-okun sea spirit, from umale primordial spirit + okun sea

Synonyms

noun imale-okun, umole-okun, imole-okun

Chai!

4 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by nisai: 10:37am On Jun 09, 2020
babtoundey:

Ki ni baba n so bayii??

Lol. Baba awon olodo. grin

1 Like

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Edeyoung: 9:51pm On Jun 09, 2020
nisai:
Lol. Baba awon olodo. grin

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by TAO12: 9:58pm On Jun 09, 2020
Edeyoung:

Thank you gregyboy, for proving my point that the Edos/Binis truly worship Yoruba deities -- e.g. Olokun among others.

Please keep more proofs coming. Thank you, thank you! grin

cc: nisai

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by davidnazee: 3:22am On Jun 10, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

Which includes forbidding them, at all ages, to wear clothes until he has given permission. If you see a 30yr old man or woman clothed, it is so because Omo Oba told them they can cover up, otherwise they dare not appear in public clothed.

Cc
TAO12

Lilliputs talking trash again..
Edo people weren't wearing clothes till the 19th century and the same naked Edo poeple conquered and ruled your ancestors for over 500years up till the 19th century.. Was it the naked big balls of my ancestors that scared your weak ancestors??

4 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by davidnazee: 3:24am On Jun 10, 2020
gregyboy:

Bro no need to argue with lilliputs..
It's common knowledge that Olokun was founded in Ughoton by Oba Ewuare the great..

1 Like

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by nisai: 5:48am On Jun 10, 2020
TAO12:

Thank you gregyboy, for proving my point that the Edos/Binis truly worship Yoruba deities -- e.g. Olokun among others.

Please keep more proofs coming. Thank you, thank you! grin

cc: nisai
grin grin
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by TAO12: 5:59am On Jun 10, 2020
davidnazee:

[s]Bro no need to argue with lilliputs..
It's common knowledge that Olokun was founded in Ughoton by Oba Ewuare the great...[/s]

Yet your Oba Ewuare forgot to give it an Edo name after he "founded" it. cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by TAO12: 6:12am On Jun 10, 2020
davidnazee:

[s]Lilliputs talking trash again..
Edo people weren't wearing clothes till the 19th century and the same naked Edo poeple conquered and ruled your ancestors for over 500years up till the 19th century.. Was it the naked big balls of my ancestors that scared your weak ancestors??[/s]

That your Edo fore-parents (as adults) were largely raoming the streets shamelessly n@ked even in as recent as the early 1900s is a historical fact.

Moreover, when we checked history for evidence of your fantasy of of conquest, we found absolutely nothing.

What we found instead are contrary facts as follows:

(1) That Ife had imperial dominance over your 2by2 Benin Kingdom.

(2) That Ibadan, Ijesa, Owo, Otun-Ekiti, et al. all slaughtered Benin Kingdom for fun at different times.

(3) That the Yoruba language was imposed on Benin Kingdom as its lingua-franca.

(4) That Edos must continue to worship and adore many Yoruba gods.

(5) That all Edos are slaves of the Yoruba Oba of Benin, and these Edos (aka slaves) are beheaded and crucified annually to appease Yoruba gods at Benin Kingdom.

(6) That the Yorubas clothed your fore-parents' n@kedness through their manufactured products popularly known as "cloth for Benin.

And many more!

Historical evidence have been adduced at different times for each of these claims already.

Let me know which one of them you would like to see evidence for again.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by gregyboy(m): 9:18am On Jun 10, 2020
The yorubas have indeed be influenced by benins
Cultural wise and religious wise, it is noted benin warriors used to carry olokun along to battle, yorubas as we know is mixture of eastern Yoruba
Which was directly influenced by benins and a mixture the western yorubas which was influenced by oyo, tracing thier origin to one source oduduwa was a fictional move which was first done by Samuel Johnson in a bid to unite the entire yoruba after her various wars
Oduduwa existence was mere works of fiction, he was merely a god diety worship by the ife people since inception

2 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by gregyboy(m): 9:25am On Jun 10, 2020
davidnazee:

Lilliputs talking trash again..
Edo people weren't wearing clothes till the 19th century and the same naked Edo poeple conquered and ruled your ancestors for over 500years up till the 19th century.. Was it the naked big balls of my ancestors that scared your weak ancestors??

They aint even ashamed to say it, our naked ancestors gave them everything they hold as culture today..... They paid tribute to our naked ancestors, lol...... The yoruba people are good at mouth making....
Even female warriors from dahomey sacked thier empire at a time.....

2 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by TAO12: 3:08pm On Jun 14, 2020

1 Like

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by gregyboy(m): 3:21pm On Jun 14, 2020
TAO12:

Dont embarrass yourself all articles on net admit to the fact its an indigenous worship to benins

Not the imaginary itsekiri you put up there

For the record the ogiemen family(king of the sea) that is ruling the itsekiri they are the true worshiper of olokun that's why they are called ogie-men

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Translate Benin To English / Nigerian Women Are Becoming Monsters / Ibibio Has A Good Cultural Orientation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.