Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,375 members, 7,800,753 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:47 AM

Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism (41403 Views)

‘you Can’t Question A Player Like Griezmann’ – Lloris Hits Back At Criticism / Mane Forgets About Black Lives Matter Kneel As He Dashes Into Everton's Half / Torino FC 'Black Lives Matter' Tweet That Got People Talking (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by Nobody: 5:57am On Jun 08, 2020
Anthony Joshua has hit back at criticism of his impassioned speech at Saturday's Black Lives Matter rally in his home town of Watford.

World heavyweight champion Joshua spoke out against looting and rioting and urged demonstrators to protest peacefully during the march, which was held in the wake of George Floyd's death last month.

While the 30-year-old's address garnered plenty of support on social media, he also faced a backlash after reading out a speech from somebody who could not attend.

An excerpt from the speech was uploaded to social media in which Joshua said: "Show them where it hurts.

“Abstain from spending your money in their shops and economies, and invest in black-owned businesses.”

The excerpt attracted some fierce criticism, with some labelling the speech as racist and others saying they would boycott Joshua's pay-per-view fights.

But Joshua has taken to Twitter to defend himself, clarifying that he was reading out somebody else's words, and pointing out that he also spoke personally about investing in his community to help forge unity.

Joshua's tweet on Sunday evening read: "If you think I’m a racist, go f**k yourself!

“If you watch the full video, the speech was passed around for someone to read and I took the lead.

“I personally spoke from the heart about the Watford community, ideas of us personally investing seven figures to create unity and opportunities and adding change to the African/Caribbean community.

“Shops aren’t the issue here. Before you talk s**t, you better boycott racism.

"I said what I said and will act to make the change."
Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/anthony-joshua-hits-back-criticism-22154154

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by Generalkaycee(m): 6:16am On Jun 08, 2020
E no go better for Derek Chauvin, J. Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao.....Racist Cops

98 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by Balaxx: 11:50am On Jun 08, 2020
So if Tyson fury come out tommorow con say "whites buy only from whites shop" e go like am

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by moscobabs(m): 2:22pm On Jun 08, 2020
angryW
Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by sammysneh(m): 2:22pm On Jun 08, 2020
AJ no mind them..

8 Likes

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by Jaysolu(m): 2:22pm On Jun 08, 2020
Racism is such a sensitive matter
you can't fight bad with bad.. it only brings more bad
blacks in America are a minority.. so there's not so much you can do to "show them where it hurts"
we just have to take this as it is... I don't see racism ending because of speeches and protests, we've been doing that for decades now

check out the link in my signature.. get paid for watching long YouTube vids.. registration is free.. no strings attached
I have no reason to scam you

15 Likes

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by Tranquillity360: 2:23pm On Jun 08, 2020
ok
Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by TissuePaper: 2:23pm On Jun 08, 2020
I don't expect anything less from him...he is already a slave to be the white man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by ArmaniUhuru: 2:23pm On Jun 08, 2020
Oga no just rant online, go out and punch somebody.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by YorubaKinging: 2:23pm On Jun 08, 2020
Blacks are the only one that take offence because someone says they are black

Foolish low self esteemed sets of people

Come back home and leave the city of whites

73 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by iWasNotHere(m): 2:23pm On Jun 08, 2020
Anthony Joshua is talking too much these days. Focus on your training

17 Likes

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by Gwan2(m): 2:23pm On Jun 08, 2020
I am black but you see all this protest by the black community and riots going on freely is simply because of excessive freedom and how liberal the western world had open up to people. I have traveled to 9 countries and I must say, I feel more attached and comfortable mingling with white folks than the blacks.
Where in the world aside the western world can you travel from GOd knows where and give birth to a child and the child automatically become a full citizen enjoying same privilege as the indigenous people. Where in the world can you automatically get citizenship by marrying a citizen. I studied in the UK, your child automatically get access to free education, health care and a lot of facilities by the virtue of your student status in the west. A lot of students exploit the system especially those on scholarship by bringing their spouse and children while on study, thereby overstretching the limited resources. Go to the hospital and see indigenous white queuing for appointments that might take close to a month before they get access to see a doctor because a lot of people both foreigners and citizen had booked earlier. They were overwhelmed by such things and displayed decorum in votes to pull out of EU rather than following the path of fellow BLACK xenophobic South Africans displayed some time ago.
See, typically the black man in a white man’s country is so sensitive to how the white react, speak or even look at him and point to racism at every instance. I had a friend who worked in a bar and was dismissed because of his carelessness and poor attitude to work...before he left the bar he made sure he created a scene shouting racism racism. They were so courteous not to respond or engage him in a fight because they know most of the black Africans use racism to cover their shits.

Now we have phrases like black excellence, black live matters, I am black and proud, black history....flip the coin and say something like white supremacy, white excellence, white rules and hell will be let loose from the black community pointing racism. What sort of inferiority can that be?
Lastly, you see this Arab countries or most Asian countries.. nobody do racism pass them, but why don’t the suppressed black population protest...because the freedom is limited and they make sure you understand from your first presence in the country that you are second class to them and nothing can change that. Anyway, as the saying goes...when you give somebody a yard he will later ask for a mile.

A man is only respected and modelled if he earns such. Look at the African continent, the poorest, the most docile, the most disease ravaged, the most corrupt, the most backward...who has ever earned respect by displaying such attributes??

215 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by Blacknote: 2:23pm On Jun 08, 2020
Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by WINDSOW(m): 2:23pm On Jun 08, 2020
angry
Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by sodiqapril(m): 2:23pm On Jun 08, 2020
C
Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by nijabazaar: 2:23pm On Jun 08, 2020
I am really not caring about black lives matter thing.

African Americans are the worst racist

You're better with a whitemam in America than an African American. Trust me

82 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by OLDESTWARRIBOY: 2:24pm On Jun 08, 2020
Chai Hometown in Watford? Yoruba people no go sleep well tonight o, no be dem dey claim am ever since.

This racism news dn dey tired me abeg white man heart no pure, blackman heart too. Anyhow dem do, na dem sabi o

2 Likes

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by paddyofboss(m): 2:24pm On Jun 08, 2020
Give them dead meat suya AJ
Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by garetz: 2:24pm On Jun 08, 2020
AJ fumbled

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by akinlaso(m): 2:24pm On Jun 08, 2020
Racism is bad
Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by AgroTrade: 2:25pm On Jun 08, 2020
Some people are expert in looking for faults where there's none.

fault finders well done oo

5 Likes

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by Devops: 2:25pm On Jun 08, 2020
African Americans are more rasict towards their African counterparts than whites. Stupid people

75 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by bjayx: 2:25pm On Jun 08, 2020
That was racist jorrr

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by trevorhorace(m): 2:25pm On Jun 08, 2020
grin
Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by darfay: 2:25pm On Jun 08, 2020
Hometown of Watford, lol shebi ndi sophisticated said he's from ijebu ode?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by Patrioticman007(m): 2:26pm On Jun 08, 2020
Goodmen don't keep silence in the face of tyranny

2 Likes

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by XaintJoel20: 2:26pm On Jun 08, 2020
AJ got that wrong

3 Likes

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by FlordFlorez(m): 2:26pm On Jun 08, 2020
AJ, original naija boy. Omoluabi.

3 Likes

Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by chimexdnice1(m): 2:26pm On Jun 08, 2020
v
Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by FrankBass281(m): 2:26pm On Jun 08, 2020
what can I say,I don't know,I am out
Re: Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism by joviegghead: 2:27pm On Jun 08, 2020
Hmm. Okay man. It wasn't his speech.

But, doesn't reading a racist speech also make you morally culpable and an accomplice of racism even though you aren't racist ideologically.

Okay, I'm not a killer and I don't support killing but I help my friend commit murder because he's indisposed. It's not my fault eh? I'm innocent. Right?

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

AFCON Draws: Nigeria Is In Pot 1. (Live Updates) / Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea / PICTURES: England And Russia Fans Clashed In France (euro 2016), Turns Bloody.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.