Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria (2827 Views)

Witchcraft And Charms Are Illegal In Nigeria. Read What The Law Provides On Them / Eating Cat And Dog Meat Is Now Illegal In The USA / Illegal Arrest: How 2 Young Men Were Rescued From The Hand Of SARS In Asaba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by FrostyButter: 10:29am On Jun 08, 2020
Lawyers and law enforcement people in the house, I plan on purchasing a crossbow for security purposes. I stay in a relatively sketchy area and recently just got a dog, but I feel that's not enough. I want to find out if getting a crossbow is legal and if any license requirements are necessary.
Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by Mynd44: 10:34am On Jun 08, 2020
Get a gun liecense as for the crossbow, I domt know if they are legal

1 Like 5 Shares

Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by FrostyButter: 10:37am On Jun 08, 2020
I dont have proper gun training, and then the noise that comes with. Also very terrified of guns. But just incase, any idea how much that costs and how long it takes to process a gun license?
Mynd44:
Get a gun liecense as for the crossbow, I domt know if they are legal

1 Like

Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by GabrielYulaw(m): 10:54am On Jun 08, 2020
OP I feel you. I have long wanted to get Katanas and crossbows from AliExpress, eBay or Amazon cos naija is just not safe.

I don't know if these are legal, but I don't really care since I will be using them in the house, rather than carrying them around. I just wish Naija is a place where you can easily get guns and gun license, cos security is very poor unless you live in highbrow areas. Only bad guys have guns and mostly unlicensed ones at that, and they use these to rob, rape and oppress.

Buy your crossbow. But if you are importing it be sure it won't be seized on arrival. When transporting it home, if police stop you just tell them you need it for a movie or want to hunt bushmeat with it.

3 Likes

Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by FrostyButter: 11:01am On Jun 08, 2020
Nothing seems very straight in this country. I researched items the customs wouldn't let into the country and I saw airgun. I spoke with someone in the customs and I wasn't provided reasonable answers. Spoke with a lawyer, same thing. So I made up my mind to just use a blueprint, books, tutorials, and have someone build one for me, if I have to go that route.
GabrielYulaw:
OP I feel you. I have long wanted to get Katanas and crossbows from AliExpress, eBay or Amazon cos naija is just not safe.

I don't know if these are legal, but I don't really care since I will be using them in the house, rather than carrying them around. I just wish Naija is a place where you can easily get guns and gun license, cos security is very poor unless you live in highbrow areas. Only bad guys have guns and mostly unlicensed ones at that, and they use these to rob, rape and oppress.

Buy your crossbow. But if you are importing it be sure it won't be seized on arrival. When transporting it home, if police stop you just tell them you need it for a movie or want to hunt bushmeat with it.
Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by GabrielYulaw(m): 1:37pm On Jun 08, 2020
FrostyButter:
Nothing seems very straight in this country. I researched items the customs wouldn't let into the country and I saw airgun. I spoke with someone in the customs and I wasn't provided reasonable answers. Spoke with a lawyer, same thing. So I made up my mind to just use a blueprint, books, tutorials, and have someone build one for me, if I have to go that route.

I wouldn't build a crossbow locally.
But it makes a little sense as a last resort and should be easy enough to do if the right materials are used. Just be sure you use imported arrows for it for maximum accuracy and penetration.

I think the best thing is to import a small toy crossbow first. If custom asks you tell them na Halloween toy for your nephew.

More, crossbow is not air gun. Also, there are companies on Instagram based in Lagos that sell Katanas. I don't want to buy from them though cos I want to buy what I want, not what's available in their stock.

I don't know if such companies also sell crossbow. However, there's bound to be Nigerian firms that sell bows and arrows. I'm talking modern bows and arrows, including compound and recurve bows.

Search for such firms if you can. Or send a mail to customs asking if it's ok to import crossbows for hunting bush meat. If you get no answer import an inexpensive toy crossbow. If nothing happens then import the real thing and hope for the best.
Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by GabrielYulaw(m): 1:42pm On Jun 08, 2020
Hi OP. I forgot something. AliExpress sells catapult. These are used with steel balls. Yes, steel. Imagine getting a steel ball from a catapult in your eye wink
So, if importing or building a crossbow fails, you could maybe buy a catapult and steel balls for it. Just tell customs you want to hunt rat smiley I'm serious, though a catapult won't have the same range as a crossbow.

If your heart is set on a crossbow it might be possible to import components separately and at different times and assemble these.

2 Likes

Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by Mightyhaiz: 3:20pm On Jun 08, 2020
should it? Are bows and arrows outlawed?
Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by FrostyButter: 4:17pm On Jun 08, 2020
GabrielYulaw:

But it makes a little sense as a last resort and should be easy enough to do if the right materials are used. Just be sure you use imported arrows for it for maximum accuracy and penetration.

I think the best thing is to import a small toy crossbow first. If custom asks you tell them na Halloween toy for your nephew.

More, crossbow is not air gun. Also, there are companies on Instagram based in Lagos that sell Katanas. I don't want to buy from them though cos I want to buy what I want, not what's available in their stock.

I don't know if such companies also sell crossbow. However, there's bound to be Nigerian firms that sell bows and arrows. I'm talking modern bows and arrows, including compound and recurve bows.

Search for such firms if you can. Or send a mail to customs asking if it's ok to import crossbows for hunting bush meat. If you get no answer import an inexpensive toy crossbow. If nothing happens then import the real thing and hope for the best.

Thanks, would try just that. Saw very amazing ones on amazon.
Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 4:36pm On Jun 08, 2020
GabrielYulaw:

There is a very well connected person in Lagos who imports air guns, crossbows and even (co2) air-pistols that look exactly like real semi auto pistols.

The clientele who buys from this source are wealthy enough to pay far more than the market price of their toys, just to get them into Nigeria hassle free. The importer is a true magician, because the laws prohibiting any gun imports to Nigeria, are brutal, to put it mildly.

Unfortunately, this is a highly secretive procurement channel, even though airguns are actually legal to own in Nigeria with no permit required, so I dare not give out any further details, since I do intend to do some more shopping via this method, and must therefore avoid pouring sand into my garri, so to speak.

E get as e be. Monkey no fine, but him mama love am. Who no know, go know.

Oga I hail o. You nogo see me leak any secret in Papa God name, amen.

2 Likes

Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by GabrielYulaw(m): 7:13pm On Jun 08, 2020
Jakumo:

There is a very well connected person in Lagos who imports air guns, crossbows and even (co2) air-pistols that look exactly like real semi auto pistols.

The clientele who buys from this source are wealthy enough to pay far more than the market price of their toys, just to get them into Nigeria hassle free. The importer is a true magician, because the laws prohibiting any gun imports to Nigeria, are brutal, to put it mildly.

Unfortunately, this is a highly secretive procurement channel, even though airguns are actually legal to own in Nigeria with no permit required, so I dare not give out any further details, since I do intend to do some more shopping via this method, and must therefore avoid pouring sand into my garri, so to speak.

E get as e be. Monkey no fine, but him mama love am. Who no know, go know.

Oga I hail o. You nogo see me leak any secret in Papa God name, amen.

Understood. Hooking up the OP with these sort of people is however not a good move. Like you said, he will have to pay through his nose for the goods. I don't like that and that is part of why I want to import my own Katana and crossbow, rather than buying from someone in Nigeria. Better to see if the OP can build or assemble his crossbow here.

I didn't even know airguns are legal here. Even so I simply won't buy one, cos explaining to police the difference between an air gun and a real one will take you years and cost you a live cow in bribeswink

1 Like

Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 8:40pm On Jun 08, 2020
GabrielYulaw:

Understood. Hooking up the OP with these sort of people is however not a good move. Like you said, he will have to pay through his nose for the goods. I don't like that and that is part of why I want to import my own Katana and crossbow, rather than buying from someone in Nigeria. Better to see if the OP can build or assemble his crossbow here.

I didn't even know airguns are legal here. Even so I simply won't buy one, cos explaining to police the difference between an air gun and a real one will take you years and cost you a live cow in bribeswink

This is all the more reason why man pikin must pasture several live cows at all times, so as to grease the wheels of progress as needed by the police.

http://nigerianlawguru.com/legislations/STATUTES/FIREARMS%20ACT.pdf

Nigeria's official firearm statue of 1990, which is currently in force in 2020, can be downloaded for perusal at the link above.

Even a lawyer would need to read the convoluted prose of this statute several times, before the passage legalizing air rifles without the need for permits, can be identified. In the above PDF document, Page 13 contains the primary direct reference to air rifles, as Item 3 of Part II "Personal Weapons".

On Page 25 of this 26-page PDF document, item 51 spells out the exemption of air rifles from licencing requirements.

Here is the cut and paste of that paragraph 51 : 51. Without prejudice to the application of the Act to air rifles and air pistols, no air gun, being a
smooth bored weapon designed to discharge a pellet by means of compressed air or inert gas and having a barrel of more than nine inches in length, shall be subject to any of the provisions of the Act or of these Regulations.

In layman's terms, the above boldface sentence means that air RIFLES with barrels longer than NINE INCHES in length, do NOT require any permit by Nigerian law. All PISTOLS, including air pistols, remain banned in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by Exmilitant(m): 8:59pm On Jun 08, 2020
I shall never understand how you guys intends to use cross bow and toy guns to see off harden and determined criminals when the real thing is there!

2 Likes

Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 9:10pm On Jun 08, 2020
Exmilitant:
I shall never understand how you guys intends to use cross bow and toy guns to see off harden and determined criminals when the real thing is there! I planned to empty my armoury so whoever is interested in; AK 47,48. PUMP. PISTOLS, REVOLVER(12,6,8 ROUNDS). DYNAMITES. should indicate.

Na local MEANS man pikin dey find.

I need bullet proof juju.

I need juju to disappear if trouble find me come.

I need juju when go let all fine woman dey line up to open yansh for me.

I need juju when go dey bring money witout need for man pikin to work for inside sun.

Oya, Chairman. How much for all ?

1 Like

Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by FrostyButter: 6:56am On Jun 09, 2020
Wow, this is great, thanks for this man... In other words a cross bow works just fine.
Jakumo:

This is all the more reason why man pikin must pasture several live cows at all times, so as to grease the wheels of progress as needed by the police.

http://nigerianlawguru.com/legislations/STATUTES/FIREARMS%20ACT.pdf

Nigeria's official firearm statue of 1990, which is currently in force in 2020, can be downloaded for perusal at the link above.

Even a lawyer would need to read the convoluted prose of this statute several times, before the passage legalizing air rifles without the need for permits, can be identified. In the above PDF document, Page 13 contains the primary direct reference to air rifles, as Item 3 of Part II "Personal Weapons".

On Page 25 of this 26-page PDF document, item 51 spells out the exemption of air rifles from licencing requirements.

Here is the cut and paste of that paragraph 51 : 51. Without prejudice to the application of the Act to air rifles and air pistols, no air gun, being a
smooth bored weapon designed to discharge a pellet by means of compressed air or inert gas and having a barrel of more than nine inches in length, shall be subject to any of the provisions of the Act or of these Regulations.

In layman's terms, the above boldface sentence means that air RIFLES with barrels longer than NINE INCHES in length, do NOT require any permit by Nigerian law. All PISTOLS, including air pistols, remain banned in Nigeria.
Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by FrostyButter: 7:00am On Jun 09, 2020
No, i am talking about hunting crossbow, the military grade kind... My intention of going this route is to avoid problems with the law, and honestly, i am terrified of guns. embarassed
Exmilitant:
I shall never understand how you guys intends to use cross bow and toy guns to see off harden and determined criminals when the real thing is there! I planned to empty my armoury so whoever is interested in; AK 47,48. PUMP. PISTOLS, REVOLVER(12,6,8 ROUNDS). DYNAMITES. should indicate.
Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 8:58am On Jun 09, 2020
FrostyButter:
Wow, this is great, thanks for this man... In other words a cross bow works just fine.

From reading the entire 26 pages of Nigeria's firearms law, there is no mention of crossbows or compound bows at all, meaning that you ought to be able to import either type of bow into Nigeria. The pistol grip of a crossbow would likely raise eyebrows on arrival at Nigerian customs, but a compound bow cannot be mistaken for any type of gun.

To further my stealth hunting tactics, I do own a compound bow that I dismantled and took to Nigeria in my suitcase, but the damn thing is too heavy to lug around all day hunting, so now it is gathering dust. No, it is not for sale. My online life shalt NEVER intersect with the real world.

For home defense, I can see the utility of a crossbow as a short range sniper weapon, especially if string silencers are added to quieten the shots down a bit. If visibility is good enough to take accurate shots, you can deploy a crossbow to dispatch threats out to ranges of 80 meters with surgical precision and in total silence, such that the invaders will have no idea what is dropping their colleagues in sequence like so many vermin.

You can even acquire a collapsible (folding ) crossbow that can be folded up to look like a piece of surveying equipment.

https://www.outdoorhobbies.co.uk/boomslang-recon-folding-crossbow-scope-package-1367-p.asp

Here is some more crossbow phorn for your viewing pleasure

https://www.ukcrossbows.co.uk/

Compound crossbows combine massive power and accuracy, with relative ease operating the cocking lever to reload. Check out these bad boys.

https://ukarcheryshop.co.uk/collections/compound-crossbows

3 Likes

Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by GabrielYulaw(m): 10:15am On Jun 09, 2020
Jakumo:

Na local MEANS man pikin dey find.

I need bullet proof juju.

I need juju to disappear if trouble find me come.

I need juju when go let all fine woman dey line up to open yansh for me.

I need juju when go dey bring money witout need for man pikin to work for inside sun.

Oya, Chairman. How much for all ?

Hahahaha. How much for all indeed wink
Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by FrostyButter: 4:47pm On Jun 09, 2020
Yes, no mention at all of it... Apparently its not seen as a threat. I want to try ebay, since they have a refund policy. With security issues in Nigeria, this is something people should be able to walk into stores and aquire.

My issue with thr compound bow is draw... Even the crossbow i have in mind has a wheel to take care of the draw.

Thanks a lot for the tip, I appreciate.
Jakumo:

From reading the entire 26 pages of Nigeria's firearms law, there is no mention of crossbows or compound bows at all, meaning that you ought to be able to import either type of bow into Nigeria. The pistol grip of a crossbow would likely raise eyebrows on arrival at Nigerian customs, but a compound bow cannot be mistaken for any type of gun.

To further my stealth hunting tactics, I do own a compound bow that I dismantled and took to Nigeria in my suitcase, but the damn thing is too heavy to lug around all day hunting, so now it is gathering dust. No, it is not for sale. My online life shalt NEVER intersect with the real world.

For home defense, I can see the utility of a crossbow as a short range sniper weapon, especially if string silencers are added to quieten the shots down a bit. If visibility is good enough to take accurate shots, you can deploy a crossbow to dispatch threats out to ranges of 80 meters with surgical precision and in total silence, such that the invaders will have no idea what is dropping their colleagues in sequence like so many vermin.

You can even acquire a collapsible (folding ) crossbow that can be folded up to look like a piece of surveying equipment.

https://www.outdoorhobbies.co.uk/boomslang-recon-folding-crossbow-scope-package-1367-p.asp

Here is some more crossbow phorn for your viewing pleasure

https://www.ukcrossbows.co.uk/

Compound crossbows combine massive power and accuracy, with relative ease operating the cocking lever to reload. Check out these bad boys.

https://ukarcheryshop.co.uk/collections/compound-crossbows

1 Like

Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by RessersJany: 9:53pm On Feb 15, 2021
I guess a gun will be much better. Just get a licence, a crosbow sounds more funny than dangerous.
Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by CameronGraham: 10:03pm On Feb 15, 2021
A crossbow sounds like something that is useless for the household. If you want to feel safe and protect yourself, you need to get a gun license and buy a normal gun. You cannot always reload your crossbow when thieves entered your house, that sounds too stupid and weak at the same time. But when you have a gun, you don't need to reload it, because you have at least 10 bullets inside which are enough for protection. Also, if you have less money, you can check on outdoorangle.com for a bow. They have many cool stuff there, a bow is much better and faster in combat. Also you will not have any problems with law. But I think you also need to have at least a certificate if you want to have a professional bow.

1 Like

Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by VictorUSA(m): 10:11pm On Feb 15, 2021
I`ll advise you get Christ instead of getting weapons that may be used against you!

Re: Are Crossbows Illegal In Nigeria by WhiteGoldz: 10:21pm On Feb 15, 2021
How can i get a pump action

(1) (Reply)

The True Definition Of Benefit Boys (ICYDK) / Man, 35, Caught Having S*x With Mad Woman, 63 / How I Got Scammed By A Nairalander (highroll)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.