Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,306 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? (28101 Views)

Quit Notice To A Tenant / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? / My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 8:57am On Jun 10, 2020
What is Your Worst Experience with a Tenant?

As there are terrible experiences with landlords there are also terrible experiences with tenants. Today i will like to share a worst experience with a tenant.

My dad happens to be a landlord so we have met alot of tenants.

There was a stubborn tenant that rented a 3 bedroom flat worth 300k. He told my dad he will pay 250k now when he has the remaining he will pay. That's when the notoreity started. The tenant refused to pay the 50k, despite my dad's constant reminder.

When his rent expires he said he will soon pay that he needs more time, that he wants to pay everything at once. The next time my dad ask him, he said he is in financial crises all this was while i was in school. When i came back for end of semester break i still heard that the man hasn't paid his rent. I began pressuring my dad to collect this rent, the tenant has spent over 5months without paying a dime. My dad said the man lost his uncle and went for burial recently. Thats when i realize he has been given excuse to my dad for a very long time.

After sometimes i told my dad not to allow the man stay one more month without paying. My dad threaten to bring the police and take him to court. The man blocked my dad number, then my dad called him with another number when he picked and discover it was my dad he claim he didnt see my dad's initial call that he was sick. The man then switched off his phone.

We decided to go to meet the man together with a lawyer but he was not around. I placed a 2month notice and that he must pay for the months he has stayed in the house. After a week the man called with a new number pleading that he should not be evicted. He asked for my dad's account number so that he will pay. The man send 50k only. My dad told him he just completed his last year rent and will have to pay for the current year. The man refused. After the two months my dad changed the door lock thereby preventing him from getting inside even though his stuffs are inside.

After a month, a woman from the Neighborhood told my dad that the man we evicted is still living in the house. He usually comes in late at around 11-12pm and goes out around 7am. The next day we arrived there few minutes past 6 but the man has already gone. We discover that he changed the lock to the house. We end up confiscating all his properties and emptied his room. Till today he is yet to be found.

I have others stories about other tenants but i will love to hear your story. Over to you.

What is your worst experience with a tenant?

56 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 8:59am On Jun 10, 2020
HoliMaree, KingAzubuike and Enoch07
Come and share Your story here lets discuss

Modified:

Pls we need to understand that the relationship between a tenant and a landlord is not of friendship but a business relationship.
Landlords require that payment of rent should be made as at due and like obedience from their tenants.
Remember that the landlord is handling a business, He or she is a business owner and you are a customer. It is not of the landlord in his right senses to maltreat his tenant intentionally.
There are good tenants who try their best to pay their bills and do what is right.

I also understand that their are bad landlords that try to exploit their tenants and their are bad tenants that are disrespectful and don't pay their rents. There are some bad Landlords but Many bad tenants. This is the exception not the rule.
Let us try to settle the differences and leave as one.
Some tenants are landlord somewhere while some landlords are tenants somewhere.

Regards.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Davash222(m): 9:03am On Jun 10, 2020
OP, I wonder why you were persuading and forcing your dad to evict the man. The man dey follow you drag your girl
Oga landlord, travel and see.

76 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Vyzz: 9:06am On Jun 10, 2020
grin

I remember one...

When I was a kid... Maybe I still am

There was this lady that always fight with everybody especially my grandmother...

There was a day she went out living her twin kids who isn't upto two months inside the house....

As children we were playing in the compound when we heard the children cry and we told our grandmother who was around.. Initially didn't want to have anything to do with them but after 30mins and the kids were still crying...

She told us to go bring them.. Guy man jump window enter carry kids come out like fire marshal... As the door was locked.

She came back and rained insult on my grandma may her soul rest in peace

That lady been strong pass everybody but funny enough her husband is an easy going man

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 9:10am On Jun 10, 2020
Davash222:
OP, I wonder why you were persuading and forcing your dad to evict the man. The man dey follow you drag your girl
Oga landlord, travel and see.
The thing affected me in school.
My dad always complaining there is no money

96 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Robnectar(m): 9:12am On Jun 10, 2020
the ones that don't like paying Nepa bill, anytime you go meet them, they will be behaving like they don't understand the language u speaking cheesy

114 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 9:19am On Jun 10, 2020
Robnectar:
the ones that don't like paying Nepa bill, anytime you go meet them, they will be behaving like they don't understand the language u speaking cheesy
You remind me of another Stubborn tenant. He refused to pay Nepa bill and anytime Nepa cut their wire, he will send his children to go and buy wire and they will join the light again. Their bill became 200k, despite we telling them to pay they refuse, saying no money.

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Kalatium(m): 9:40am On Jun 10, 2020
Dpsychologist:
What is Your Worst Experience with a Tenant?

As there are terrible experiences with landlords there are also terrible experiences with tenants. Today i will like to share a worst experience with a tenant.

My dad happens to be a landlord so we have met alot of tenants.
There was a stubborn tenant that rented a 3 bedroom flat worth 300k. He told my dad he will pay 250k now when he has the remaining he will pay. Thats when the notoreity started. The tenant refused to pay the 50k, despite my dad constant reminder.

When his rent expires he said he will soon pay that he needs more time, that he wants to pay everything at once. The next time my dad ask him, he said he is in financial crises all this was while i was in school. When i came back for end of semester break i still heard that the man hasn't paid his rent. I began pressuring my dad to collect this rent, the tenant has spent over 5months without paying a dime. My dad said the man lost his uncle and went for burial recently. Thats when i realize he has been given excuse to my dad for a very long time.

After sometimes i told my dad not to allow the man stay one more month without paying. My dad threaten to bring the police and take him to court. The man blocked my dad number, then my dad called him with another number when he picked and discover it was my dad he claim he didnt see my dad's initial call that he was sick. The man then switched off his phone.

We decided to go to meet the man together with a lawyer but he was not around. I placed a 2month notice and that he must pay for the months he has stayed in the house. After a week the man called with a new number pleading that he should not be evicted. He asked for my dad's account number so that he will pay. The man send 50k only. My dad told him he just completed his last year rent and will have to pay for the current year. The man refused. After the two months my dad changed the door lock thereby preventing him from getting inside even though his stuffs are inside.

After a month, a woman from the Neighborhood told my dad that the man we evicted is still living in the house. He usually comes in late at around 11-12pm and goes out around 7am. The next day we arrived there few minutes past 6 but the man has already gone. We discover that he changed the lock to the house. We end up confiscating all his properties and emptied his room. Till today he is yet to be found.

I have others stories about other tenants but i will love to hear your story. Over to you.

What is your worst experience with a tenant?
Lol
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Kalatium(m): 9:42am On Jun 10, 2020
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Kalatium(m): 9:58am On Jun 10, 2020
One of our tenant has been refusing to pay money for rent. When we disturbed him too much, he said he will pay the money. After two days he said they lost 1 of their relatives and going for burial so they left the house. Little did we know that it was all a plan. He made his Wife and children to stay in her parents home. Meanwhile he usually sneak back in the night to come and stay in his room and then woke up early morning and leave. We later Caught him after some weeks. He promise to pay the money and even brought witness to sign an agreement. But he still ran away and refuse to pay the money.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Kalatium(m): 9:58am On Jun 10, 2020

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 10:05am On Jun 10, 2020
Kalatium:
One of our tenant has been refusing to pay money for rent. When we disturbed him too much, he said he will pay the money. After two days he said they lost 1 of their relatives and going for burial so they left the house. Little did we know that it was all a plan. He made his Wife and children to stay in her parents home. Meanwhile he usually sneak back in the night to come and stay in his room and then woke up early morning and leave. We later Caught him after some weeks. He promise to pay the money and even brought witness to sign an agreement. But he still ran away and refuse to pay the money.
Lol some tenants want to play sense for their landlords and end up getting Caught.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Jacqueline22(f): 11:09am On Jun 10, 2020
My own is that my tenant won’t, sweep, burn dirty, the guys smokes weed so tey me mk I no Dey smoke start Dey high.
the thing is that the tenant are much older than me.. if I talk I will start feeling guilty as if I’m insulting them.
There is one that is very manipulative this lady want to know every details about me...
Should I go on?

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 11:10am On Jun 10, 2020
Jacqueline22:
My own is that my tenant won’t, sweep, burn dirty, the guys smokes weed so tey me mk I no Dey smoke start Dey high.
the thing is that the tenant are much older than me.. if I talk I will start feeling guilty as if I’m insulting them.
There is one that is very manipulative this lady want to know every details about me...
Should I go on?
Yes pls

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Nobody: 11:14am On Jun 10, 2020
Jacqueline22:
Should I go on?
Fire on my sister.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by HoliMaree: 12:48pm On Jun 10, 2020
Dpsychologist:
HoliMaree, KingAzubuike and Enoch07
Come and share Your story here lets discuss

There is one that left after overstaying, he still owes N60K which he promised to pay but this is the third year and he is no where to be found. Another one destroyed the entire property, even blocked the borehole with stone because her boyfriend/maga is a custom officer, same person is a prostitute, I discovered most of the police officers in that district have ridden her so she thinks she is covered. The woman destroyed everything down to WC, packed her things but still held the key until the last day of the quit notice. Although I got her arrested, I learned that her boyfriends (police officer) didn't allow her spend the night in police custody. I got her to sign that she will buy back my water pump which she stole but after accessing the entire damage done, it was too late and she had bolted. The current one can't pay N2000K monthly light bill for the past 7 months, how will he pay his next rent?

PS: Lagos state government need to reopen magistrate courts. Some tenants are taking advantage of the extended closure because they know the average court case might take 2yrs then add these months of court closure to that, it means many landlords will be offering their houses for free to tenants for that long.

18 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Atikulated: 12:51pm On Jun 10, 2020
Good my fellow tenants!
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by deebrain(m): 12:51pm On Jun 10, 2020
Hmmm...
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by obicoolnino: 12:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
To shit and not flush the toilet based on face me I slap u compound, some people are pigs.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by feldido(m): 12:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
It's over 6 months into the rent and nothing to complain about for now except that the wife always burns her food, which is a cause of worry

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by drlaykay(m): 12:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
One tenant, after his rent expired and I asked him for rent, he would promise the month end, once it's month end he would say he has not been paid. After asking him till on the 7th, he woild promise 15th.
Once it's 15th he would promise weekend. Once it's weekend, he would promise month end again. And the cycle continues. He did that for about 7 months. The wife was a very nice woman who would always come and beg on his behalf.
I got so tired and angry that I threatened him, that if he refused to pay at a specified date, I would seal up his apartment.
I was still in 2nd year in the university, and that was basically what I needed to run a few things in school.
The day I threatened him, minutes later, police came to arrest me. He said I was trying to seal up his appartment and I threatened to call area Boys to beat him.
We got to the station, I narrated the whole story, the police men blamed him heavily but one idiot was supporting him saying I was lazy and I could have gotten my school fees from hustling while in school rather than hoping on a rent.
I insulted him instantly, he hit me from behind and it almost resulted in a chaos inside the station. The others were in my support and begging me.
At last, he signed an undertaking that he would pay in 2 months time. I didn't argue. I waited till then.
After 2 months he was yet to pay, he came with some men to beg me since he had defaulted. He came with a wine, I collected it and smiled with him.
I took the wine as a gift to the IPO that I want him punished. He finally paid after a week of being threatened. I handed him a quit notice the day he made payment.
I continually reminded him that I will not have mercy on him if he stayed an extra day and it will be my delight to have his loads thrown out. The guy no finish him money before e go.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by manuel4real(m): 12:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
light Is a major problem amongst tenants as far as I am concerned, my mum had to buy prepaid meter for her tenants just to settle this matter.

E no reach 1-month see these guys go bypass the stuff lipsrsealed

But there's this tenant a family actually, they packed into our house, the first year they paid 150k, that was August I think when time reach to renew rent, Na so so money no de we de hear for 2months till she finally paid. Before the next renewal she begged my mum to reduce the rent for her, that her husband does not do anything, she's the one taking care of everything in the family, my mum pitied her and removed 20k. when it was time to renew the rent story start again, firstly she paid 20k, in 3 months time she paid 50k, next 40k then 20k, Na so she pay house rent that year. But before she paid she informed my mum that her house needs maintenance, of which mumcy agreed to, unfortunately for her, something came up in her business and she needed lots of money to solve it, so she called this woman to explain to her, you need to see how this woman reacted, she didn't want to hear her out, she just hanged the call then call my brother and started shouting at him that she doesn't like such nonsense talk, saying all sorts of rubbish, the husband collected the phone and started shouting too saying he's a prince in his village and so on. Mehn, their statement angered my mum and she decided she won't maintain anything again, that if the house is no longer convenient for them, they should pack out when their rent expires.

Some people can be so ungrateful in this life

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by pstar234(m): 12:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
Playing high volume of music

9 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by seunlayi(m): 12:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
Thank God
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Hndrrxxx(m): 12:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
My girl getting on my nerves, I ain't going home ��

1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by LaIabobo: 12:53pm On Jun 10, 2020
Tenants that'll owe and take you to court to delay time and stop their eviction after settling those broke magistrate court officials.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:54pm On Jun 10, 2020
Dpsychologist:

When i came back for end of semester break i still heard that the man hasn't paid his rent. I began pressuring my dad to collect this rent
OP, you are an amateur. Your dad probably have experienced life as a tenant hence his hesitation

Only in Nigeria where the government claim to be serving the people will minimum wage be N30,000 per month and rents N250,000-N500,000 without soft loans to ease the stress of the peopleundecided

Buba Marwa, Fashola really tried to save the masses from, the çluches of crazy landlord bills

Now there's no job, where other countries are giving out huge palliative, Nigerians are expected to pay bills, from what

Them go steal

I wish this government will wake up from their slumber and re-visit this issue!!!

These are issues/laws worth giving attention to!!!

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Lovexme(m): 12:54pm On Jun 10, 2020
I'll come share mine when I build my houses.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by DropsMic(m): 12:54pm On Jun 10, 2020
Sips tea
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by afecgivers: 12:55pm On Jun 10, 2020
Warning!!! Some Tenants can kill landlord

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Nickshrapnel: 12:55pm On Jun 10, 2020
There was one dubious one who went to bypass the prepaid meter thereby attracting a N50k fine for me or the one who thought I had collected electricity/utilities bill with the house rent and so didn’t pay a dime until the expiration of his rent

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Got A Busy Schedule?...the Solution Is Here / Re: Pictorial Representation Of A Kitchen Cabinet And Doors / VIDEO: Government Destroys Homes In Lagos - Okokomaiko, Agbara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.