Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,699 members, 7,802,067 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale (4613 Views)

Communal Clash In Ikale,ondo Leaves Many Dead And Properties Destroyed / OKITIPUPA: A Town In Nigeria Without Electricity For over 12 Years (Pictures) / My Findings About The Fulanis/Hausas That Came To Okitipupa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by MajorOvakporaye(f): 2:44pm On Jun 10, 2020
Mystiquefia:
Nice one bro.... This is quite revealing and i must admit that urhobos are a peace loving people. We are in delta, bayelsa, Edo and ondo but you do not see us making unnecessary demands and provocative utterances online. I believe, the God who remembered Ewrudjakpor in bayelsa will also remember other peace loving urhobos in other parts of NIGERIA.

Greatchizzy
Efe2real
Ovisfranko
Iriruaga100
MajorOvakporaye
Clint02
Coputa

peace be unto every urhobo man and woman
we are one.

2 Likes

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by hammer3: 2:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
Efewestern:

The Urhobos are people located in Southern Nigeria, near the northwestern Niger Delta.
Source:
Rural Migrants as Catalysts in Rural Development: The Urhobo in Ondo State, Nigeria by Onigu Otite (https://www.jstor.org/stable/1159555)

Ur a born fool for this Northwest NiGERDelta, u write here, y not kukuma write Katsina.

Ozua!

1 Like

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by darfay: 3:02pm On Jun 10, 2020
oyatz:
Which town in Ijebuland is having identity crisis?

Remo don't see themselves as ijebu people

1 Like

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by darfay: 3:07pm On Jun 10, 2020
Sammy07:

True sha

My guuuy
Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by Sammy07: 3:14pm On Jun 10, 2020
darfay:

Lol.
Remo are Ijebu people.
It's called.

"ijebu Remo"

Awolowo / osinbanjo are from ikenne, ikenne is under Remo, and Awolowo / osinbanjo are ijebu.

So how come they ain't ijebu?

3 Likes

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by coputa(m): 3:14pm On Jun 10, 2020
Mystiquefia:
Nice one bro.... This is quite revealing and i must admit that urhobos are a peace loving people. We are in delta, bayelsa, Edo and ondo but you do not see us making unnecessary demands and provocative utterances online. I believe, the God who remembered Ewrudjakpor in bayelsa will also remember other peace loving urhobos in other parts of NIGERIA.

Greatchizzy
Efe2real
Ovisfranko
Iriruaga100
MajorOvakporaye
Clint02
Coputa
All the Ewhrujakpor's has gone back home.Urhobo ovo ovoh.

2 Likes

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by Sammy07: 3:16pm On Jun 10, 2020
darfay:

My guuuy

Dunno where we met, but

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by atheistandproud(m): 3:17pm On Jun 10, 2020
@Efewestern

Vwo kobiruo mamo. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by Efewestern: 3:29pm On Jun 10, 2020
atheistandproud:
@Efewestern
Thanks Oniovo, forgot to cc you, will do that on my next thread.
Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by Efewestern: 3:30pm On Jun 10, 2020
hammer3:

Ur a born fool for this Northwest NiGERDelta, u write here, y not kukuma write Katsina.

Ozua!

This my friend, isn't necessary, Northwest Niger Delta means Urhobo land is located at the North-western end of the region.

2 Likes

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by lx3as(m): 3:50pm On Jun 10, 2020
coputa:
All the Ewhrujakpor's has gone back home.Urhobo ovo ovoh.
It's so surprising that their population reduced drastically. In Ekiti and many parts of Ondo State then, we used to have several Urhobo communities just like Ebiras; the two were the next main groups after Yorubas everywhere you went; farms, classrooms, churches, social gatherings, etc. Now Igbos have taken Urhobo's spot. Moreover, Ebiras, Tivs, Idoma groups and others keep growing in numbers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by oyatz(m): 4:57pm On Jun 10, 2020
Remo is different from Ijebu naw.

Remo was only grouped under Ijebu during colonial rule as a single unit of Administration called Ijebu Province (sometimes called Ijebu-Remo).

darfay:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by 9jakool: 5:06pm On Jun 10, 2020
Sammy07:

Lol.
Remo are Ijebu people.
It's called.

"ijebu Remo"

Awolowo / osinbanjo are from ikenne, ikenne is under Remo, and Awolowo / osinbanjo are ijebu.

Have you ever wondered why Ijebu Remo has a qualifier but Ijebu is a standalone that doesn't? Why does it matter that Remo people want to claim a separate identity when at the end of the day both are still Yorubas. To say Ijebu and Remo are exactly the same is to ignore the fundamental distinction between both groups.

Both have distinct oral history and it should be respected. Remo people have always been concise and consistent about their later migration, Ife origins and establishment of the 33 founding towns. I think the division is made worse as you have Ijebus claiming to originate from Sudan, Waddai or what have you. People from Remo simply don't entertain such tales by moonlight and are more in tune to their Yoruba identity.

I link the whole Ijebu/Remo saga to how some people erroneously class every Yoruba in Oyo state as Oyo because of political division and Oyo empire or how modern Yewa identity equates being Egbado (it doesn't). Education about our forefather's history is lacking greatly in Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by oyatz(m): 5:12pm On Jun 10, 2020
The same thing happened in my hometown in Osun State.

In the 1980s, separate smaller church services were usually conducted for Urhobo speakers.

Igbos and Igedes (Idoma) are apear to be replacing the Urhobo and Igbira of old.

Most Urhobos in my hometown don't even speak Urhobos language or wear Urbobos dressess anymore, they are gradually being Yorubanized no thanks for the widespread fornication of young people.

In the 1980s, young people did courtship and proper marriages involving families. Getting pregnant without marriage was a thing to be ashamed of.

Now, people just get pregnant for whosever they like and moved in to start living as husbands and wives. As a result of this, in my town now, the dividing lines between Yoruba, Urbobos, Igbira, Igbos and Igedes is appearing blurred.

Only Northerners live in isolated areas and they don't mingle with other people.

lx3as:

It's so surprising that their population reduced drastically. In Ekiti and many parts of Ondo State then, we used to have several Urhobo communities just like Ebiras; the two were the next main groups after Yorubas everywhere you went; farms, classrooms, churches, social gatherings, etc. Now Igbos have taken Urhobo's spot. Moreover, Ebiras, Tivs, Idoma groups and others keep growing in numbers.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by Sammy07: 5:25pm On Jun 10, 2020
9jakool:

Have you ever wondered why Ijebu Remo has a qualifier but Ijebu is a standalone that doesn't? Why does it matter that Remo people want to claim a separate identity when at the end of the day both are still Yorubas. To say Ijebu and Remo are exactly the wsame is to ignore the fundamental distinction between both groups.

Both have distinct oral history and it should be respected. Remo people have always been concise and consistent about their later migration, Ife origins and establishment of the 33 founding towns. I think the division is made worse as you have Ijebus claiming to originate from Sudan, Waddai or what have you. People from Remo simply don't entertain such tales by moonlight and are more in tune to their Yoruba identity.

I link the whole Ijebu/Remo saga to how some people erroneously class every Yoruba in Oyo state as Oyo because of political division and Oyo empire or how modern Yewa identity equates being Egbado (it doesn't). Education about our forefather's history is lacking greatly in Nigeria.

Yeah, I agree that both should be respected in accordance to their distinct oral history.
Even tho I don't subscribe to Ijebu claims.

I initially thought both have the same history.
Anyways, you've said it all

1 Like

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by okooyinbo(m): 6:06pm On Jun 10, 2020
nowpresence:

yeah
is it same as ilesha
Iléṣà is an Ìjẹ̀ṣà town, actually the most prominent Ìjẹ̀sà town. The people are called Ìjẹ̀ṣà. Iléṣà is One of their towns.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by darfay: 6:06pm On Jun 10, 2020
Sammy07:

Lol.
Remo are Ijebu people.
It's called.

"ijebu Remo"

I have 3 friends from ikenne Remo, 2 of which said they are ijebu while the last person vehemently disagreed
Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jun 10, 2020
atheistandproud:
@Efewestern

ose,mingwor
Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by atheistandproud(m): 9:10am On Jun 11, 2020
Heartlessbanker:
ose,mingwor

Bros, mi yeru vwe. Mavo na? Oma vwen gare?

1 Like

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by Efewestern: 10:31am On Jun 12, 2020
they barely move reasonable threads to FP

2 Likes

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by Efewestern: 11:11am On Jun 12, 2020
Sammy07:

They didn't see it ni, no vex Let's call mods of political and cultural section
Thanks bro, hope they answer the calls.

1 Like

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by Epistasis(m): 11:15am On Jun 12, 2020
Being from Okitipupa, the story is actually true. We have sizeable numbers of Urhobo people in that area. Urhobo people are peace loving and highly industrious, but with decline in agricultural production especially in oil palm has led to many of them returning to Delta state of late.

2 Likes

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by Sammy07: 11:20am On Jun 12, 2020
darfay:

I have 3 friends from ikenne Remo, 2 of which said they are ijebu while the last person vehemently disagreed

Alright, I understood
Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by OvisFranko: 9:36pm On Jun 14, 2020
Mystiquefia:

Greatchizzy
Efe2real
Ovisfranko
Iriruaga100
MajorOvakporaye
Clint02
Coputa

During my NYSC I came across 2 guys who are Urhobos by ethnicity,but from one of the Western states by State of Origin. They told me that their parents migrated their long ago.
We also have chunk of Urhobo community in Jos,Plateau State.
Erhuvwu re Urhobo!
Urhobo mena
Ovovuo

3 Likes

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by Azmanaty: 9:47pm On Jun 14, 2020
Davash222:

Thanks alot.
We have Anioma, Ijaw, Itshekiri, and Urhobo in Delta state. How come those people are claiming to be Okpe?

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by Efewestern: 7:14am On Jun 25, 2020
Let me also add that some of Urhobo brightest jurists were born and raised in Ikale, The late Chief Ayo Irikefe (former Chief Justice of the Nigeria) and Chief Victor Ovie-Whiskey (former Chief Judge of Bendel State) were two legal giants who were born in Ikale.

Already updated the OP.

cc: lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by flinder: 7:25am On Jun 25, 2020
We have them in Isua Akoko, Ondo state. They are called the Irhobo clan....still there till this very day

1 Like

Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by Efewestern: 5:35pm On Jun 25, 2020
flinder:
We have them in Isua Akoko, Ondo state. They are called the Irhobo clan....still there till this very day

Are the Isua Akoko people Ikale speaking? what's their population like? Are they the largest non indigene in that area?

Thanks for your contributions.
Re: A Look At The Urhobo Migration To Okitipupa & Other Parts Of Ikale by Thazard(m): 9:46pm On Jul 13, 2020
Proudly Urhobo from Ughelli North

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking News: Shiite Muslim Leader Sheikh Ibrahim Al-zakzaky Endorsed Peter Obi / To All APC Supporters, Put Your Mind At Rest. / Lamidi Apapa Attacker Escapes Death in a terrible accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.