Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:49 AM

A European's Account Of Madagali During The Years Of Hamman Yaji - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A European's Account Of Madagali During The Years Of Hamman Yaji (170 Views)

Boko Haram Attacks Madagali, Adamawa, Kills 26 / See How Tinubu Square Was Remodeled Over The Years (PHOTOS) / Hamman Tukur Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A European's Account Of Madagali During The Years Of Hamman Yaji by OK2NVME: 12:46pm On Jun 12, 2020
The … [northern districts of Madagali, Cubunawa. and Mubi ] taken over by this province … are the most lawless, ill-governed places I have seen in Nigeria … Slave dealing and slave raiding are rampant … chiefs of minor importance were given rifles with which they were encouraged to attack the wretched pagans [who are] hiding like frightened monkeys on inaccessible hilltops … of course, everyone goes about fully armed: spears, shields, bows and arrows, clubs, etc. (The British Resident, Yola province, in 1920, cited by Anthony Kirk-Greene 1958: 84
Re: A European's Account Of Madagali During The Years Of Hamman Yaji by OK2NVME: 12:49pm On Jun 12, 2020
There is a historical perspective to this madness in the northeast with Boko Haram as can be seen with the constant slave raiding by Muslims on animist people in the NE.

The disdain for ISLAM was so ingrained in the minority tribes people in the NE that they resisted converting to Islam even at the threat of death since the Fulani raiders did not make any significant distinguishing case when raiding non hausa/fulani and kanuri settlers irrespective if they where converts to islam. This ought to explain the ethno-religious supremacy held by Kanuri/Hausa/Fulanis over minority northerners and why modern day jihadist criminals like boko haram are exclusively composed by these same ethnic groups. The indigenous people of the NE hated Islam so much no thanks to years of slave raiding by Islamists like Hamman Yaji that they converted to Christianity almost immediately when the first European missionaries arrived.

What we see in the NE with Boko Haram is nothing new but a sustained and systematic slow genocide carried out on minority ethnic groups in the north and middle belt by HAUSA/FULANI extremists jihadist criminals.
Re: A European's Account Of Madagali During The Years Of Hamman Yaji by OK2NVME: 12:49pm On Jun 12, 2020
12Monkeys:
Hamman Yaji: The Shekau of days past.

Hamman Yaji, a Fulbe{fulani} , was the last slave raider of the Northern Mandaras {northeast Nigeria, parts of cameroun and present day Chad }. He was arrested by the British in 1927 and montagnards from Sukur to Dughwede give explicite accounts on his relentless raiding. His diary was published in 1995 (Vaughan et al). It is historically unclear whether it was the suspicion of Mahdism or the complains from montagnards which led to his arrest (Muller-Kosack 1999).

The diary of Hamman Yaji is unique: a precious historical source, a fascinating social document. From September 1912 until the day before his arrest in August 19, an insider voice tells us of life in the early colonial period, on the furthest margin of European authority.

Madagali, in present-day northeastern Nigeria, was a tiny principality within the Adamawa emirate, itself a province of the Sokoto caliphate: all three were conquest states, ruled by Muslim Fulani. Hamman Yaji became ruler of Madagali in 1902, appointed by the Germans the day after they had killed the previous ruler, his father. He survived the change to French rule in 1916, to British in 1922. The British deposed him in August 19, allegedly for past slaving, but probably more for his Mahdist sympathies. From September 1912 until the day before his arrest, Hamman Yaji chronicled his activities, sometimes almost daily. Entries are generally sparse, but, read carefully, and with the helpful editorial material in this book, the ensemble is remarkable. The book is dedicated to all people of the Madagali district, with the hope that their future will be one of harmony and mutual cooperation.

A worthy hope, but sitting a little uneasily here, since Hamman Yaji was a dedicated slave raider.

The recurrent litany makes chilling reading:

May 12, 1913: "...I sent my soldiers to Sukur and they destroyed thehouse of the Arnado [village head] and took a horse and seven slave girls and burnt their houses."

May 21: "I captured 20 slave girls."

June 11th: "I captured six slave girls and ten cattle, and killed three men."

June 25: "I captured 48 slave girls and 26 cattle and I killed five persons."

July 6: "I captured 30 cattle and six slave girls."

All this (and more) on a single page. Exactly what such raids involved the diary itself does not say: traditions gathered later amongst the victimized populations are ghoulish indeed, comparable with another unique document, the eye-witness account of Bagirmi slaving a little further east and 40 years earlier, recorded by the German traveler Gustav Nachtigal in the third volume of his Sahara and Sudan.

Hamman Yaji's editors suggest, a little speculatively, that a word from a British officer in March 1924 sufficed to stop the raiding. The raiding did stop, and even the most tender liberal conscience, reflecting on colonialism, may take some comfort that a line was drawn under such entries as: "I sent Fadhl al Nar with his men to raid Sukur and they captured 80 slaves, of whom I gave away 40. We killed men and women and 17 children."

The troops were evidently out of control here: women and children were too valuable to be killed. The exploitation, often sexual, of women is clear: female slaves circulated as gifts, or in exchange (three for a horse, for instance). Hamman Yaji swapped female slaves with one of his men, even with his son, who objected that "he did not want a girl, he wanted a boy slave".

Even in such circumstances, a defiant female voice is audible: "I found that my slave girl in the absence of her fellow-slaves had said that she would not prepare my food for me. Why she would not cook my food I do not know, but anyway the result was that I got no food from her and was obliged to buy it."

Or again: "I my wife Umm Asta Belel said that in respect of her being a Muslim she was tired of it, and in respect of her being a pagan it would be better for her." Some passages are enigmatic, such as: "I fixed the penalty for every slave who leaves me without cause at four slave girls and if he is a poor man 200 lashes."

Is the implication here that slaves with cause could leave? How many slaves were rich enough to be able to pay a fine of four slave girls? What where the chances of surviving 200 lashes? Slavery is by far the most prominent single theme, but there are many others, such as local politics and power structures, the local practice of Islam, and the advance of colonialism. The diary ends on a homely note: "On the same day Sarkin Lifida ruined the onions."

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/books/deep-insight-on-an-african-despot/162186.article

(1) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Governor, Udom Emmanuel Commends Akwa Ibom People On Democracy Day / Group Celebrates Lawmaker's Giant Strides In His First 365 Days In Office / Nnamdi Kanu On The History Of Igbos, Biafra And Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.