Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,648 members, 7,801,891 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:01 AM

INSPIRATIONAL SHOT- How All The Rejections Could Turn To Blessings. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / INSPIRATIONAL SHOT- How All The Rejections Could Turn To Blessings. (181 Views)

What Will You Change, If You Could Turn The Hands Of Time? / INSPIRATIONAL SHOT- How The Garage Made Jeff Bezos The World Richest. / Funny But Inspirational Quote I Saw On A Vehicle In Benin City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

INSPIRATIONAL SHOT- How All The Rejections Could Turn To Blessings. by anekearinze(m): 11:27pm On Jun 13, 2020
[b][/b]
"I came from an ordinary everyday family- my parents were artisans. Sending my siblings and me to school was a huge struggle for both. I recollect going to school with torn shirts and shorts because my parents could only afford one set at a time. I lost count of the number of times that I was sent home from school because the payment of my school fees was delayed. College was not different. My parents did their best but everything they came up with was suboptimal. I was lucky to have won a scholarship that helped me conclude my tertiary education. Unfortunately, I graduated with a third class. I was combining classes with selling stockfish- which served as a source of funding for our education- at the market for my mother. You don't need a soothsayer to see why my performance was that poor."

You could see the hurt in Jerry's eyes as he said, "Graduating with a third class was a big disappointment, for me and everyone. I knew I didn't put in my best. But what did I expect from a situation where I tried putting two hands in the mouth at the same time. Nevertheless, I started submitting an application for jobs as soon as I was ready to do so. It was a very troubling situation for me. I was waiting for that surreal moment that I would be empowered to give back to my parents- I needed to wipe away their tears even if it's just a drop of it. Unfortunately, every publicized vacancy shuts the door for third-class honors even before they announce their availability. I recall walking into the branch of a bank to submit my Curriculum Vitae(CV). The manager of the branch looked at the CV and tossed it back across the table. He said, 'we don't employ dullards. Please, check the next door'. I got home that day and cried my eyes out."

He went on with his story. "I would go on and try a couple of other options. But my academic performance was a leperous situation that everyone avoided. There was a day that I submitted my CV to one of the multinationals in the beverage industry. The secretary went through the document, stared at me through the rim, and then said, 'you better sell this to those hawking on the streets and find someplace to start afresh by enrolling as an apprentice'. Every single person that promised to help me with a job once I get out of school saw my result as an escape route to renege on that commitment."

His mood was better this time. "On this memorable Saturday afternoon, a man came to the market to purchase some stockfish. We negotiated for a while before I was able to close the deal. He made the payment and left behind his business card while leaving. He requested that I call him later. About a month later I was about washing my clothes when I felt something in the pocket of one of the pairs of trousers. I pulled it out and the business card flashed in my face. I called the phone number on the card and was booked for an appointment with the strange customer. I left for his office the next day and met the secretary who told me to wait at the reception. When I was finally called into his office, he inquired why I was selling stockfish in the market. I told him my story. He listened keenly. When I was done with my story, he hesitated for a moment as if he was searching for the right words. He finally said to me,

'My mother has a shop close to your mothers'. She has told me so many good things about you. She actually advised me to employ you. She said that you have so much potential that I shouldn't allow you to be passed to another employer. I run a private oil servicing firm. We just opened an office in one of the African countries. If you are ready, I would want you to work with us at the new station'"

REFLECTION
Don't let rejections demean your worth. It doesn't add up for me when I see people who allow another person's opinion to evaluate their self-worth. It is not everybody that will appreciate our value. And the solution lies in holding on until we find that place or person who really appreciates us for who we are. Even in relationships, a rejection should not be a death sentence. Once you pull yourself together and continue to tick all the right boxes, someone that values you would come knocking someday. Jeremiah got that employment and he has been working with the firm for 7 years. He was awarded the 'Best African Staff Award of Excellence" in his second year of joining the company.

Don't give up. People that value you will be sent your way one day. Then all the rejections wouldn't matter anymore.

For more:
https://anekearinzeblog.com

(1) (Reply)

Check Out Latest Nigeria Newspaper Headlines For Today, Wednesday, June 17th, 20 / Confidence In The Lord / Trump Fires Back At John Bolton: Book Is Full Of 'lies, Fake Stories' He Said

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.