Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

Is Animal Science A Good Course?? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Animal Science A Good Course?? (22886 Views)

Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course? (my Story) / Please Between Biochemistry And Animal Science, Which Is More Lucrative? / UNN Gave Me Animal Science (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by dotunibrahim7(m): 6:44am On Jun 15, 2020
DavSagacity:
U are welcome. just give me a call anytime u are in Ogun state bro. 07066652745
thanks
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by chinoonew09: 7:07am On Jun 15, 2020
o boy u wnt treat goat & pig., see u, see animal hoarding ...i'm not understood ur point
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Dchampion65: 7:34am On Jun 15, 2020
Ayomisure:
Is animal science a good course?

What are the job opportunities and what is the average salary of an animal scientist.

Urgent answers needed please.

Some read Islamic studies and became deputy governor

We had a past president who graduated with B. Sc Zoology

Embattled governor studied classic

Postgraduate, M.Sc can be used to change later instead feeling frustrated at home.
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by shagamite: 7:41am On Jun 15, 2020
DavSagacity:
U are welcome. just give me a call anytime u are in Ogun state bro.45
pls can I work with you , ,
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by DavSagacity(m): 8:40am On Jun 15, 2020
shagamite:

pls can I work with you , I reside in Ogun , I need job pls
ok.
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Ayomisure(m): 8:53am On Jun 15, 2020
Softhands:
Very good course sef...you know how much farmers pay for information? You can be self employed with ease
thanks bro am curruntly studying Aph at FUTA.
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by shagamite: 8:59am On Jun 15, 2020
DavSagacity:

ok. send your
Done
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Ayomisure(m): 9:13am On Jun 15, 2020
Igbojihadist:
thats what my senior brother studied he is curently a manager at ota farm they gave him a brand new hilux and he has bought a land in ofada planing to build his own farm

wow thats interesting
thank you
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Ayomisure(m): 9:16am On Jun 15, 2020
horladtop:
Am an Animal Scientist, I bet you Animal Science is a very good and lucrative Course.. If u really knw in and out of all animal aspect, as u are aware is a very practical job, is not theory atall. As for job opportunities, I once a consultant with some farms b4 getting an appointment with one of leading farm here in Nigeria, d producer of Noiler (if u know u knw). Though to start a farm u require capital but if u are unable to gather capital as d start, u can start wit Consulting(if u really knw wat you are doing ooo)
thank you very much sir
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Zhahovic(m): 9:18am On Jun 15, 2020
In Nigeria any course is a good " curse" if you have the right connection or come out with good grades grin
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Igbojihadist: 9:19am On Jun 15, 2020
Ayomisure:
wow thats interesting thank you
you'r always welcome
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Ayomisure(m): 9:25am On Jun 15, 2020
keenn:
Pls listen to me advice.

This course Animal science was my first love, intact I had to quickly click on this thread to make my contribution.

I was wrongly talked out of studying this course by my teachers, friends and family because they saw a very bright science student. I am a doctor now, but I believe I would have been more fulfilled if I had studied animal science or fisheries.

This is the catch, population is exploding, u can choose not to wear good cloth or live under the bridge, some people have never visited a hospital before,...but Every living thing must eat.

Animal science or agriculture courses makes u self innovative and autonomous.
Please dont follow the band wagon my brother, please. There might not be jobs but your skillsets creates the jobs for u

Study and understand (not cram to pass) properly what animal science entails.

thank you very much sir, i really appreciate.
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Ayomisure(m): 9:31am On Jun 15, 2020
shovaychoco:
The truth is that there is no course that is good or bad. Iv seen Doctors who cant meet up with their mates and lawyers who have nothing to show for it. It is all left to you what you do with yourself after school.
I studied Animal Science and also did my masters in it. I currently earn over 250k monthly from my job and other side gigs but i still complain like most Nigerians do. At the end its all about how to increase your capacity to earn and your network.
Just for your information, if you work with the Federal Ministry of Agric you will earn a little over 100k as a fresh graduate of Animal Science
wow thank you sir

1 Like

Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Ayomisure(m): 9:44am On Jun 15, 2020
ekhai:
Are you guys aware that an animal scientist in the ministry is receiving medical salary? Pls my friend apart from saying you can establish an animal business like poultry production, if you can get a job in government sector, you're OK.
okay thank you very much
and pls can you enlighten me more about what you mean by "they recieve medical salary"
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by karbie(f): 10:31am On Jun 15, 2020
Do you need the new ACCA and ICAN (ATS & Professional) study materials and past questions and answers for your exam preparations?

Click on the whatsapp link below to get them https:///2347084890881
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by merrymike47(m): 11:19am On Jun 15, 2020
DavSagacity:
Am a proud animal scientist. Studied Animal Nutrition @ FUNAAB and had my M.sc in Agricultural Biochemistry at U.I .
This last few month really opened my eyes to alot of things particularly how important farming is.
I work in An integrated Farm as the manager and during this lockdown, I placed an advert on social media for job opportunities. People with B.Tech, B. Engineer, and political science graduate applied for farm attendant Job.
The pandemic lead to alot of company and industries to lay off some of their staffs and there is massive unemployment in town at the moment. but farmers are still working, birds are still laying eggs, ours Pigs and goats are producing good litters and our staffs and labourers are still earning and meeting their needs.

To cap it all, the management increased salary for all her workers during the lockdown rather than lay off some like is happening in other sectors of the economy.

My guy just study hard and ensure u know the tifun tedo of animal science, the technical know-how and u are good to go.

Respect to all Practicing Farmers in the House.
the only sensible answer that i’ve Seen up to dis point. If you all insist that animal science z not gud, what course then is good? Brainless lots

1 Like

Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Elkcee(m): 11:50am On Jun 15, 2020
Yes... I will advice you to go for it if it makes u happy, don't worry about the job opportunities and all that. Actually animal science is my course in Ebsu, am not doing coz of money, is passion, my dream course. But last last the course no CM dey easy �
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by fatsonm: 1:44pm On Jun 15, 2020
Ayomisure:
Is animal science a good course?

What are the job opportunities and what is the average salary of an animal scientist.

Urgent answers needed please.

Well i guess you just gained admission to study the course or you are probably intending to further your study in this discipline. Anyway, which ever category you might fall in. Animal science is simply a discipline concerned about the production and management of domestic animals (encompassing ruminants and monogastric micro-livestock etc.)

In this discipline you are trained in Animal
nutrition, breeding and genetics, Meat science, Animal products/processing, dairy science reproductive physiology and nutritional biochemistry.
Therefore, (with diligence and good grades) to your advantage you can end up becoming an
Animal breeder, genticist, nutritionist, livestock inspection officer, meat scientist, or dairy scientist. In addition, you can become a consultant to different farms and/or work as a researcher at research institutes(e.g IITA), or ministry of Agriculture.

Just focus on your studies come with a very good grade (at least 2"1) , undertake your 6 months SIWES at a very standard Animal farm and make sure you learn thoroughly the essential skills for Animal production such as castration, debeaking, medication, vaccination, post-moterm inspection and the likes. If you do, even before getting job your expertise in these skills will continually fetch you money and you can set up an Animal farm for your self.. (You can raise any Animal for commercial purpose)

And if you have the intention of going for masters degree abroad after your Bsc.. .. With your 2'1, good GRE(300 above) ,TOEFL scores you will assuredly get admission for a full-ride scholarship at US, Canada universities.

The summary of my counsel to you is (as a certified Animal scientist), to study hard and come out the best grade as you can. Do not let anyone discourage you, with the help of God, you will surely stand out among the crowd..

1 Like

Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by fatsonm: 1:57pm On Jun 15, 2020
DavSagacity:
Am a proud animal scientist. Studied Animal Nutrition @ FUNAAB and had my M.sc in Agricultural Biochemistry at U.I .
This last few month really opened my eyes to alot of things particularly how important farming is.
I work in An integrated Farm as the manager and during this lockdown, I placed an advert on social media for job opportunities. People with B.Tech, B. Engineer, and political science graduate applied for farm attendant Job.
The pandemic lead to alot of company and industries to lay off some of their staffs and there is massive unemployment in town at the moment. but farmers are still working, birds are still laying eggs, ours Pigs and goats are producing good litters and our staffs and labourers are still earning and meeting their needs.

To cap it all, the management increased salary for all her workers during the lockdown rather than lay off some like is happening in other sectors of the economy.

My guy just study hard and ensure u know the tifun tedo of animal science, the technical know-how and u are good to go.

A fellow practioneer. I will like to connect with you sire! Via ur e-mail
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Ayomisure(m): 4:06pm On Jun 15, 2020
fatsonm:

Well i guess you just gained admission to study the course or you are probably intending to further your study in this discipline. Anyway, which ever category you might fall in. Animal science is simply a discipline concerned about the production and management of domestic animals (encompassing ruminants and monogastric micro-livestock etc.)

nutrition, breeding and genetics, Meat science, Animal products/processing, dairy science reproductive physiology and nutritional biochemistry.
Therefore, (with diligence and good grades) to your advantage you can end up becoming an
Animal breeder, genticist, nutritionist, livestock inspection officer, meat scientist, or dairy scientist. In addition, you can become a consultant to different farms and/or work as a researcher at research institutes(e.g IITA), or ministry of Agriculture.

Just focus on your studies come with a very good grade (at least 2"1) , undertake your 6 months SIWES at a very standard Animal farm and make sure you learn thoroughly the essential skills for Animal production such as castration, debeaking, medication, vaccination, post-moterm inspection and the likes. If you do, even before getting job your expertise in these skills will continually fetch you money and you can set up an Animal farm for your self.. (You can raise any Animal for commercial purpose)

And if you have the intention of going for masters degree abroad after your Bsc.. .. With your 2'1, good GRE(300 above) ,TOEFL scores you will assuredly get admission for a full-ride scholarship at US, Canada universities.

The summary of my counsel to you is (as a certified Animal scientist), to study hard and come out the best grade as you can. Do not let anyone discourage you, with the help of God, you will surely stand out among the crowd..

kiss
fatsonm:

thank you very much sir i just gotten admission.
GOD BLESS
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Bimflake: 4:57pm On Jun 15, 2020
Animal science is not a lucrative course. Look into the prospects of any course you want to study to avoid been stranded in the labour market. But in all, part for God's favour.
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Ayomisure(m): 5:23pm On Jun 15, 2020
Bimflake:
Animal science is not a lucrative course. Look into the prospects of any course you want to study to avoid been stranded in the labour market. But in all, part for God's favour.
why do you said that?
are you in the field?
and what are those courses that are lucrative?
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by ekhai(m): 3:37am On Jun 16, 2020
Ayomisure:

okay thank you very much
and pls can you enlighten me more about what you mean by "they recieve medical salary"
Animal scientist work with Veterinary services in government office. Thus their salaries are calculated on medical scale, COHESS. (consolidated health services scale. The salary is very good. Take example of somebody on the same grade level and step on normal salary, the difference is more than #100k for those on level 14. You're entitled to Shift allowance, Rural posting allowance etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Ayomisure(m): 6:42am On Jun 16, 2020
ekhai:
Animal scientist work with Veterinary services in government office. Thus their salaries are calculated on medical scale, COHESS. (consolidated health services scale. The salary is very good. Take example of somebody on the same grade level and step on normal salary, the difference is more than #100k for those on level 14. You're entitled to Shift allowance, Rural posting allowance etc.
tank you
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by kollinskollins(m): 7:29pm On Jun 20, 2020
fatsonm:

pls, can you give me some insight on firms to apply for my upcoming SIWES??
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by fatsonm: 9:18pm On Jun 20, 2020
kollinskollins:
pls, can you give me some insight on firms to apply for my upcoming SIWES??

I only know of those in south west;
Chi (Ajanla) farms Lagos-Ibadan expresd way
Zartech Ibadan
Amoo Oyo
Hope Ibadan
Tuns, Osogbo
Leventis Foundation, Ilesha
Moor plantation (Federal College of Animal Health), Ibadan
And many others..
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by kollinskollins(m): 9:28pm On Jun 20, 2020
fatsonm:

I only know of those in south west;
Chi (Ajanla) farms Lagos-Ibadan expresd way
Zartech Ibadan
Amoo Oyo
Hope Ibadan
Tuns, Osogbo
Leventis Foundation, Ilesha
Moor plantation (Federal College of Animal Health), Ibadan
And many others..
thanks a lot.
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by GAPPLE: 10:59pm On Jun 24, 2020
It's really nice coming across this thread.
Thanks to all for the contributions.
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by chavic: 2:47pm On Aug 31, 2020
DavSagacity:

What do you advise a lady with MSc in animal Science without job placement and does not have capital to get herself established yet in the field?
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Ayopid: 11:10am On Sep 01, 2020
Cc: Lagusta adeolarg sisiafrika amarabae bizme and others ayomisure needs advise
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Sep 01, 2020
Ayopid:
Cc: Lagusta adeolarg sisiafrika amarabae bizme and others ayomisure needs advise

I have read some of the comments trying to respond to Op's question. Let me try as much as possible to respond to ayomisure.

1.) If the Op's intention is to get a job a good job in Nigeria with the course, a job that isn't lecturing and one that is related to Animal Science, then I wouldn't consider it as a good course. I have used the adjective 'good' to describe a job that pays about N100,000 monthly.
2.) If the Op has no intention of practicing his profession in Nigeria but plans to relocate to a developed country, then studying Animal Science is not a bad course at all because there is so much level of inter-relatedness among several courses in the life sciences now in developed countries and it will not be difficult for the Op to get a position in several of these disciplines related to Animal Science. Note also that animals (apart from humans) are as much legal citizens of those countries and Animal Science as a course is a good one.
3.) If the Op has a definite passion for Animal Science as a course, I will strongly advise him to follow his passion. When passion (well-informed passion) is in place, then nothing else matters.
4.) If the Op is simply accepting Animal Science as a course just because he didn't meet the admission requirement for his dream course, then he should go back to his dream.
5.) If No. 4 above is true but the Op doesn't have any such particular dream course, he only wants to get a university education, then any four-year course should do. If Animal Science is four years why not? Otherwise there is no point staying infinitely on campus for a five-year course when your intention is merely to get a university degree. Get a four-year course, spend the time doing it to develop yourself in the area you plan to build a life (e.g. programming, business, music, ministry, etc).

In the end there are no good courses or bad courses, just a mismatch of individuals with courses not meant for them.

Cheers.
Re: Is Animal Science A Good Course?? by Ayomisure(m): 4:26pm On Sep 02, 2020
bizme:

I have read some of the comments trying to respond to Op's question. Let me try as much as possible to respond to ayomisure.

1.) If the Op's intention is to get a job a good job in Nigeria with the course, a job that isn't lecturing and one that is related to Animal Science, then I wouldn't consider it as a good course. I have used the adjective 'good' to describe a job that pays about N100,000 monthly.
2.) If the Op has no intention of practicing his profession in Nigeria but plans to relocate to a developed country, then studying Animal Science is not a bad course at all because there is so much level of inter-relatedness among several courses in the life sciences now in developed countries and it will not be difficult for the Op to get a position in several of these disciplines related to Animal Science. Note also that animals (apart from humans) are as much legal citizens of those countries and Animal Science as a course is a good one.
3.) If the Op has a definite passion for Animal Science as a course, I will strongly advise him to follow his passion. When passion (well-informed passion) is in place, then nothing else matters.
4.) If the Op is simply accepting Animal Science as a course just because he didn't meet the admission requirement for his dream course, then he should go back to his dream.
5.) If No. 4 above is true but the Op doesn't have any such particular dream course, he only wants to get a university education, then any four-year course should do. If Animal Science is four years why not? Otherwise there is no point staying infinitely on campus for a five-year course when your intention is merely to get a university degree. Get a four-year course, spend the time doing it to develop yourself in the area you plan to build a life (e.g. programming, business, music, ministry, etc).

In the end there are no good courses or bad courses, just a mismatch of individuals with courses not meant for them.

Cheers.
thank you very much
am grateful

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sylvester Oromoni Not Taken To Hospital For Treatment – Family Doctor Testifies / 6 Kids Set To Represent Nigeria At World Microsoft Championship / NASU, SSANU Declare Strike Over IPPIS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.