Stats: 3,150,287 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me (28351 Views)

Should I resign or continue? / Can I Resign In The Bank And Concentrate With The POS Business / Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? (2) (3) (4)

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by sniperr007(m): 8:33pm On Jun 14, 2020
bigtimemugu:
Gudnoon Nairalanders, I have been working for a company for 35k per month for 12 months no increment. I have been promoted from one position to another without a payrise.

Late may this year my salary was increased to 50k with a whole lots of task, I work Monday to Sunday, 7.am to 7pm some times down to 9pm.

1st week of June a similar company based on recommendations invited me for an interview, they offer to pay me 120k, which I insisted on 150k, finally they agree to pay but when we went to the business place, it is a little beginning business that I have to grow from the scratch in an isolated area. I began to reason if I opt out of my present job and venture into this, how long will this payment last, if the business folds up, where will I start from?

In my present job it might take another 12 months before another increment but I can work there as long as I may wish to work cos it has job security.

Please advice me am confused and I have family with kids.

Until you leave a company to another company, your value never really increases.

Advice is to accept this new challenge.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Smhaykins(m): 8:36pm On Jun 14, 2020
bigtimemugu:
Gudnoon Nairalanders, I have been working for a company for 35k per month for 12 months no increment. I have been promoted from one position to another without a payrise.

Late may this year my salary was increased to 50k with a whole lots of task, I work Monday to Sunday, 7.am to 7pm some times down to 9pm.

1st week of June a similar company based on recommendations invited me for an interview, they offer to pay me 120k, which I insisted on 150k, finally they agree to pay but when we went to the business place, it is a little beginning business that I have to grow from the scratch in an isolated area. I began to reason if I opt out of my present job and venture into this, how long will this payment last, if the business folds up, where will I start from?

In my present job it might take another 12 months before another increment but I can work there as long as I may wish to work cos it has job security.

Since we cannot see the future, how can we know what decision is right or wrong.

If you are Muslim do isthikhara(am not saying you should visit any cleric ooo, it's a special prayer for God's guidance when making decisions), and do whatever comes to your mind. If you are christain pray for Jesus guidance...so that if anything happens you won't blame yourself much...you will console yourself with the believe that is God's will.

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by frozen70(f): 9:06pm On Jun 14, 2020
bigtimemugu:

You are already tired with the first one

Try your luck on the second one because it comes with a higher pay and your experience and knowledge will make it grow

Always focus on the success of your imput not really the pay rise

Your importance and input will prompt them to increase your salary

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Nickymichy(m): 9:21pm On Jun 14, 2020
U know what to do..it's just DAT you are afraid to do it...be bold in making decisions... Great people don't think about if not...what if...
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Mobog(m): 9:45pm On Jun 14, 2020
Your salary increment after a year if you were able to showcase your skills is visible...
35*12=
150*12=
How many years will you have to work with them to get just a year of what you'll have with your coming job...think about it

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Bbbwings: 9:47pm On Jun 14, 2020
Enskynelson:

Life is full of risks. Prepare and take the risks. If actually you have been surviving with 35K, 35k jobs are not so difficult to find. I advice you take the new job paying 150k. Spend only 50k if possible (since you have been surviving with 35k - 50k). Save up 80k every month. In a short while, you would have saved up money that can help u start some biz, buy a job or keep u till you finf another in the event of the company folding. Pray about it and commit it into God's hand as well. Life is full of risk and not taking risk is even another risk on its own.
So, bottomline, go for the new job, save from the first month and be prepared for any eventuality.
Who is selling jobs?
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Grateful02(m): 9:54pm On Jun 14, 2020
OP don't let your village people been functional abi you want me to come and flog you to go get the new job ??
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by jaxxy(m): 10:20pm On Jun 14, 2020
bigtimemugu:
Thanks to all of you who take their time to advise me, it shall be well with you all,candid advice will always come your ways. I put a call to our accountant few hours ago asking if I can apply for annual leave since am due for it, this is to give me a space to checkout the new place, although the leave is just 14days, she said am due but the operations manager instructed her to monetize annual leave of some key staff which I happen to be among the list ,it pains me so much cos i belong to those list only when it come to duty ,but in payroll am far behind, am finding it very tough to decide , a bird at hand they say ...... But 150k will take me 3months here, and my savings @ 150 for 3 months might take me 12months here, pls more advice my people.

B4 u jump ship and take risk be it wise or foolish like many people who don’t know jack about both companies are saying. U need to do a better accessment of both companies and possible growth projections or careers growth. Job security can be bondages so don’t get too comfortable with it.

How remote is this new place? What is the history of the company, structure and experience? It this purely new area for them or just a expenation? Are they established in some other areas and trying to grow this or just a Virgin coy?

This will help u analyze ur risk properly and prepare ur mind.

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Ace5(m): 10:47pm On Jun 14, 2020
bros, there is nothing like job security any where , there is no job that has security, even dangote can decide one morning to sell off one of his brand, what do you think would happen to all those who are connected one way or the other to that brand, it means they would be at home ( jobless). my advice pick the new job and start massive savings from the day one of resumption bearing in mind that if anything goes south you would still have something to last you for a while, meanwhile do some more findings on the job and make your final conclusion.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by blackslayer: 11:30pm On Jun 14, 2020
Why don't you get a piece of paper and write down the pros and cons of the two scenarios.
Based on the pros and cons, you can easily decide what your strategy would be.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by karferguso(m): 11:49pm On Jun 14, 2020
bigtimemugu:

Tbh, this is quite simple decision to make but because you’re concerned about the long term prospect of the new job, my advice for you is to

1. Take the new job
2. Maintain your current living condition. Don’t increase your standard of living. With this new job, you’ll earn your former job’s annual salary in 4 months.
3. What you need to do is to save aggressively for any eventuality.

Assuming you can even run this job for a year, you’ll have saved up to 1.2 million. This is enough for you to start your own business or survive for a long time before another job comes

Remember, everything in life comes with Risk. It’s the odds that makes it make sense. I think the odds here is greater.

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by efficiencie(m): 2:30am On Jun 15, 2020
@bigtimemugu, your moniker alone already shows that you will end up make a very dumb decision...and it may be a reflection of what you think of yourself! Nevertheless I would advice that you do not make a decision based on the sentiment of those who think you don't have guts. If you heed their advice and your expected 150k ceases after the first month, trust me na only you go dey chop the garri ohhh...none of the folks wey advice you go support you financially ohh! You either base your decision on faith or on evidence. If you are the man of facts, then get your facts about the new firm, inquire from other staff of the firm, learn about their business model and project their long term prospects. If the odds look good and you can earn that pay 150k for the next one year steadily then you can resign and move on to the next firm but have solid plans for business. If you are a man of faith, talk to your GOD, depending on who your GOD is, and ask about what the best decision. If you can hear from your GOD, then act on what you heard but if you cannot hear from GOD or your GOD is mute then revert to basing your decision on hard evidence...shikena!

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by zedegit: 2:54am On Jun 15, 2020
zenith4biz:
Good day brother, please be honest with yourself and answer the following questions.

Are you sure that the new salary is not a click bait that would be reverted after some months?

Are you sure that the organisation can conveniently pay that amount as a start up?
Is the organisation self sustainable for the first 5 months?

If you can answer the above questions, your problem is solved.

If he had a clear answer to those questions. I doubt he would be here.

It's part of the fears he's entertaining: What if...

It's even more worrisome knowing he has dependents: family.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Candoit: 3:30am On Jun 15, 2020
bigtimemugu:
Thanks to all of you who take their time to advise me, it shall be well with you all,candid advice will always come your ways. I put a call to our accountant few hours ago asking if I can apply for annual leave since am due for it, this is to give me a space to checkout the new place, although the leave is just 14days, she said am due but the operations manager instructed her to monetize annual leave of some key staff which I happen to be among the list ,it pains me so much cos i belong to those list only when it come to duty ,but in payroll am far behind, am finding it very tough to decide , a bird at hand they say ...... But 150k will take me 3months here, and my savings @ 150 for 3 months might take me 12months here, pls more advice my people.

Eya. I really feel your pain and you have a family making it more difficult to take risks.

Anyway, I'd advise you not to quit your present job yet but resume at the new place.

If something happens and you do not like the place, you can go back to your old place. Look for an excuse to tell them. Hopefully, they would take you back even if its a month after.

Also, look on the bright side, what if the new place is far better. You wouldn't know unless you try.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Ezyp(m): 3:31am On Jun 15, 2020
bigtimemugu:
Thanks so much , I reason towards that direction too, but fear of unknown, unknown fobia they catch me
Nothing like fear of the unknown. What you have is fear of change. Change is constant but planning is the key.

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by KingWarri: 4:39am On Jun 15, 2020
bigtimemugu:
Is just the salary no attachment except that u might been given a house rent loan without interest, nothing more, there are people I meet there that have spent 6yrs some 8 -10 years ,their life has been stagnant no reasonable or remarkable progress, I have seen all of that ,I have equally seen some who resign to other places and later come back begging for reemployment, I will not like any thing that will make me leave and come back to them agian or stay jobless and watch my kids hungry and out of school.the new place I can grow it up as a production manager,raise an active team that will make things happen but what if the owner lost patient and decided to shutdown,
If the owner at the new place can pay such amount, I don't see them shutting down soon.
And if it does happen, you will learn from it and move on.

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Nobody: 6:28am On Jun 15, 2020
bigtimemugu:
Thanks so much , I reason towards that direction too, but fear of unknown, unknown fobia they catch me
You don't need advice man. Please, stay where you are undecided.
As old as you are, you are still afraid of taking calculated risks that can better your future.

Since you are doubting the future of the new company, which means as the manager, you have nothing to offer to make sure the business survives.

This is the kind of mentality that keeps some of our youths pinned down to a private school teaching jobs that are paying peanuts for years.

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Zobbyjazzy(m): 7:21am On Jun 15, 2020
what kind of job is that, I am going through similar issue here in my company, my own never even increase My salary.

you mins sharing, what the job type is, I may be interested in bringing it up together with the knowledge i have.

what do you think?
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Emmadgrt20(m): 7:45am On Jun 15, 2020
*If I make a post that some Commercial Banks are looking for marketers, a great number of people will rush at the offer, they'll even reduce their age to fit into the requirements. (Big Sin)*��

*They'll be ready to wear suit and report to work 7am -5pm daily.� They'll be ready to go anywhere possible to talk and get customers without security of job. They'll be ready to work under stress,� and struggle to meet targets set for them...and so on, only for 30k, 50k monthly.��*
*Tell this same person of another opportunity where:*
�He'll be his own BOSS
�Report to work when he wants,
�Work at his pace,
�No targets,
�Market the opportunity to people,
and Earn more than they can imagine.�� AND THE BIGGEST IS THAT YOU WILL STILL USE THE AIRTIME ETC AND GET PAID FOR IT O

*This same person will suddenly realise he can't talk to people ����‍♂��‍♀*

*It's surprising how a lot of persons are more comfortable working for another person than working for themselves*.��

"IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BUILD YOUR DREAM SOME ONE ELSE WILL HIRE YOU TO BUILD THEIRS"

"Remember the great people we know today never stopped trying opportunities.. even when some may have made away with there cash.

*BE WISE AND BUILD YOUR DREAM*
Join RAGP... chat me if u r interested
Zero eight zero three seven three three five three six nine
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by HRMK: 8:01am On Jun 15, 2020
nobody needs to tell u its a #nogoarea!
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Enskynelson(m): 8:07am On Jun 15, 2020
Bbbwings:
Who is selling jobs?
Do you live in Nigeria or you live in another planet?

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Pzpropertylimit(m): 9:00am On Jun 15, 2020
Hmmmm may we never die in the hands of capitalists .

Oga if u don't have a way of making money from that company u are being paid 50 k other than ur salary , quit ooo
If u are not jobless , u will never think of what u can do .
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by cocoaempire: 9:13am On Jun 15, 2020
Art Space Nigeria Limited requires the service of a Marketing Exectutive

Requirements:
Minimum qualification OND in relevant field of study
At least 1year experience.

Job Description:
A go-getter Marketing Executive required to market Property Shortlist,
Good communication, computer, and marketing skills required.
Ability to meet set monthly targets required.
Staff must reside in ikeja Environs.
Experience in Digital and Internet Marketing is essential.
The ability to write business proposals and letters is required.
The ability to drive and with a current driving license is an added advantage.
The applicant must not be more than 32 years old.
The ability to multitask and work weekends is required.
Must be willing to work remotely sometimes.

Basic salary 50,000
Call Victoria on 07017699257
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Eshence: 10:03am On Jun 15, 2020
If u can put all ur effort in the new job just like ur 50k job u will definitely win. Just focus on the new job like its urs. Also commit it to the Lord in prayer
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by femmoy(m): 10:46am On Jun 15, 2020
Lamasta:
My brother take hthee job asap and try to save enough to start up a side hustle since that is where your fear lies 150k is better than 50k with hard labour. A word is enough for the wise

he's not wise,he's a bigtimemugu so what else do u expect from a mugu? stay at ur current job and earn peanuts,some people are just destined to be poor in their life. very annoying thing.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Derammie1(m): 12:50pm On Jun 15, 2020
You're currently earning 50k

Just take the new job and start saving, in just 6 months you can save up to 600k. Then even if that new job fail you'll have enough savings

What if your current company sack you and left you with no choice?
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by tdtravel(m): 1:06pm On Jun 15, 2020
I've been working with a travel agency for 2yrs with 30k without any sign of increment. But i haven't left the organization cos i need to gather enough experience if eventually i find myself in a bigger and better position it would help me cos experience is the best teacher. Since the management isn't ready to increase you salary why not opt out.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Pifot: 3:26pm On Jun 15, 2020
bigtimemugu:

I will advice you take the new offer. If this company could find you resourceful,it means more companies will. Face your fears.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by showafrica(m): 4:43pm On Jun 15, 2020
bigtimemugu:
I should use my brain, how do u mean sir, I have been thinking for two days now,

This is the same kind of decision you take during gambling. The risky part is always rewarding, take your chances. We regret things we didn't do more than things we did.

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by veave(f): 5:27pm On Jun 15, 2020
Ebonyigist:

This name is unique to one person.. Did you go boyfriend hunting in DBI? grin grin grin grin

grin cheesy grin

This can only be my run away boyfriend chubenny
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Ebonyigist: 11:59pm On Jun 15, 2020
veave:

grin cheesy grin

This can only be my run away boyfriend chubenny

You go mention all your boyfriend no worry grin grin grin grin
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by veave(f): 1:23pm On Jun 16, 2020
Ebonyigist:

You go mention all your boyfriend no worry grin grin grin grin

Whatsapp me joor

Globacom Staff Resignation Mail / Promoted Senior Nigerian Air Force Officers (Full List) / Can A Graduate Survive With N50,000 Salary A Month?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96