Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . (1432 Views)

7000 People Displaced In Benue And Other Emerging Facts / NASS Officers Election: Crisis Brews In PDP / Fresh Crisis Brews In APC As Tinubu Posters Disappear From APC’s Secretariat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by mohadana: 4:56pm On Jun 12, 2007
Crisis brews over 4,000 Yoruba displaced in Akwa Ibom

12/6/2007

From Damisi Ojo, Akure

Crisis is looming between the people of Ondo and Akwa Ibom states as over 4,000 members of the Ilaje Yoruba community in Akwa-Ibom State were at the weekend displaced by rampaging youths.

The youths reportedly invaded their enclave in Okoritak, Ibeno Local Government Area and destroyed property worth several millions of naira. Some members of the affected Yoruba community are now taking refuge with their relatives in nearby Ondo State.

The Nation gathered that trouble ensued when the youths abducted a Yoruba and thereafter demanded an undisclosed amount as ransom from his kinsmen, who refused to pay.

This development angered the youths who invaded Okoritak in the night and set ablaze over 200 houses. Besides, they were alleged to have raped about 10 women and seven girls.

The aggrieved Baale of the Yoruba community, who are mostly fishermen, Chief A. Ikusemuya traced the crisis to 2002 when the youths in an earlier move, abducted some members of the community.

He said the Yoruba were forced to raise about N50,000 to secure the freedom of their member adding that they later reported the case to the then police commissioner who arrested the youths and ordered them to write an undertaking that they would not be involved in such act anymore.

However, Chief Ikusemuya said some days ago, the youths invaded the community to abduct some of his people.

His words: "After deliberating with my people, we agreed that we are not going to give them any money henceforth, but we were surprised when they came in the night to set ablaze our houses".

Another community leader, Mr.Bayo Omogbemi threatened that the community would take vengeance on some Akwa Ibom indigenes resident in Ondo State if government failed to address the issue urgently.

The lawmaker representing Ilaje Constituency II, Hon. Oyebo Aladetan who later addressed the internally displaced persons, assured them of government urgent assistance. He appealed for calm saying the matter would be attended to on the floor of the house immediately.
Re: Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by laudate: 4:57pm On Jun 12, 2007
Ehm, where is xtycod that Akwa Ibom man to shed more light on this issue?
Re: Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by McKren(m): 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2007
really is xtycod from Akwa Ibom, may be this is one of the reasons he likes casting aspersions on Yorubas.
Re: Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by laudate: 5:13pm On Jun 12, 2007
McKren:

really is xtycod from Akwa Ibom, may be this is one of the reasons he likes casting aspersions on Yorubas.

Hehehehe. . . he is truly from Akwa Ibom o! But he tries as much as possible to pass himself off as an Igbo man. McKren, how can we help him to acquire Igbo citizenship, please? Thank God, most of the Igbo people I have met, are not bitter, like he is. Neither are most of the Akwa Ibom folks that I know. My neighbour is Ibibio from Akwa Ibom, and she made me this tasty Afang soup over the weekend. Ah, omo na die!
Re: Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by McKren(m): 5:23pm On Jun 12, 2007
achike:

look at this yoruba want to be .anyway this is good news.

Sorry but what do you find good about this news??
Re: Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by laudate: 5:24pm On Jun 12, 2007
achike:

look at this yoruba want to be .anyway this is good news.

Who are you talking to??  angry
Re: Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by laudate: 5:26pm On Jun 12, 2007
xtycod:

This is just the beginning. They will vomit all the oil and fish that swells their rotten stomach. Pity I am in far away Europe on AKS govt scholarship. I would have joined to deal them a deadly blow. AKS all the way grin grin grin

You?? In Europe, ke? Who dash you?? Na which passport you take go there? Na Naija passport you use, abi wetin? Make you no lie o!  angry

If you join dem go fight, na you go first kaput! *Hiss*
Re: Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by Mamajama(m): 5:43pm On Jun 12, 2007
where is the admin when you need him to help Foster sanity in this forum?

xtycod I am still appalled you have not been ban. start counting your days because the day a Yoruba boy will see you WILL WILL GIVE YOU DIRTY SLAP
Re: Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by Iman3(m): 5:50pm On Jun 12, 2007
achike:

look at  this yoruba want to be .anyway this is good news.
xtycod:

Waoh! What a bang.
This is just the beginning. They will vomit all the oil and fish that swell their rotten stomach. Pity I am in far away Europe studying on AKS govt scholarship, from oil in my backyard. Otherwise, I would have joined to deal the Yoruba idiots a deadly blow. AKS all the way grin grin grin

May you meet Afam in person.What a bunch of idiots
Re: Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by Afam(m): 6:04pm On Jun 12, 2007
I-man:

And why will this pig bring my name on a thread I never even commented on?

mohadana:

The youths reportedly invaded their enclave in Okoritak, Ibeno Local Government Area and destroyed property worth several millions of naira. Some members of the affected Yoruba community are now taking refuge with their relatives in nearby Ondo

Is Ibeno now close to Ondo state or what? How valid is this information? Is Ondo state near Akwa Ibom?
Re: Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by Iman3(m): 6:08pm On Jun 12, 2007
And why will this pig bring my name on a thread I never even commented on?

Hey schmuck!I was paying you a compliment,in a tongue-in-cheek way grin. Xytcod needs the close personal attention of a wild animal and I know you fit the part grin Any article in your in box?
Re: Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by laudate: 6:14pm On Jun 12, 2007
I-man:

Hehehe. . . . oh, have you now changed your mind? When you said Afam was being unfair (in another thread) to this little twerp xtycod, I laughed. wink What made you have a change of heart?
Re: Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by Beline(f): 12:09pm On Jun 13, 2007
How truthful is this information? Do the Ilaje or the Yorubas have their own community in Ibeno? all the girls and women attacked were they all yoruba? what is the possibility of this thread?

What is N50,000 that a group of youth will abduct someone for? even secondary school students will not go for such a cheap business at least not in that region
Re: Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by ono(m): 12:33pm On Jun 13, 2007
I doubt the authenticity of this story.
Re: Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by McKren(m): 12:35pm On Jun 13, 2007
I honestly did not even picture where Akwa Ibom is relative to Ondo State.
This story is like to be a farce
Re: Crisis Brews Over 4,000 Yoruba Displaced In Akwa Ibom . by etrouble: 11:30am On Nov 28, 2022
What are Yorubas doing in Akwa-Ibom?

(1) (Reply)

May His Soul Rest In Peace / Plateau Governor Sues Yar'adua Over Jos Crisis / The Latest On Okada And Helmet (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.