Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:53 PM

Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient (17315 Views)

Children Of Dead COVID-19 Patient & Pastor Test Positive In Rivers State / Family Drag Body Of Dead Covid-19 Patient With NCDC Officials / Did A COVID-19 Patient Die In Omole Estate? A Fact Check (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by agwom(m): 10:08pm On Jun 14, 2020
There was uproar weekend in Enerhen town in Uvwie Local Government Area of Delta State over plans to bury a man who allegedly died of COVID-19.

The deceased was receiving treatment at the Delta State University Teaching Hospital (DELSUTH), Oghara, isolation/treatment centre. The deceased (name withheld), hailed from Ikorodu in Lagos State, reportedly died two days ago at the Oghara treatment centre where he had been receiving treatment. The deceased COVID-19 patient, a retired NNPC staff, was alleged to have instructed his family to bury him at his residence located at Ekpiwhre Drive in Enerhen community upon death.

But shortly after the news of his death went round town, angry community youths converged, insisting that the deceased must not be buried in the community. The community youths held the notion that it was against their traditions for a stranger to be buried in the community let alone a COVID-19 patient.

A community youth, who simply identified himself as Obaro, said the people of the community have vowed not to allow the burial to take place. The deceased is believed to be in his 60s and was married to an Urhobo woman and had been living in the area for years. Sources added that the family of the deceased had also reportedly secured the permission of the Catholic Church in the area for the interment.

It was, however, not clear if officials of the state government and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) have released the corpse of the deceased to the family for burial. It was gathered that the family had reportedly dug the grave where the COVID-19 patient would be buried. They also pointed out that the development was also against the NCDC guidelines for the burial of coronavirus victims. The youths are threatening to take laws into their hands if nothing is urgently done by the state government about development.

“The man died two days ago at the isolation/treatment centre in Oghara. He is a former NNPC staff that is married to an Urhobo woman. The community has been boiling since morning when we got the information that the man who died of COVID-19 is to be buried in the community,” one of the community youths said.

“In the first place, it’s against our traditions for strangers to be buried in the community. Secondly, this is a man that was reported to have died of COVID-19. We won’t allow this to happen here. He should be taken to Ikorodu in Lagos State where he hails from.

“The excuse they are going is that, the man before now told the family that when he dies, he should be buried here. We are calling on the state government not to release the corpse for them to bury here. He should be taken home or a cemetery for burial.”

Efforts to speak with the commissioner for health, Dr. Mordi Ononye proved abortive as calls and text message sent to him were not picked nor replied as of the time of filing this report. Similar efforts to speak with Uvwie Council chairman, Ramson Onoyake, were also not successful as his telephone lines were said to be switched off.

Repeated efforts to speak with the family of the deceased were also not successful at the time of filing this report.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/uproar-in-delta-community-over-planned-secret-burial-of-covid-19-patient.html

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by GOFRONT(m): 10:14pm On Jun 14, 2020
They had better not bury that Covid19 patient secretly, else Buhari would be thrown in SHOCK!!!

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by lordm(m): 10:43pm On Jun 14, 2020
I thought the government handles burial of covid patients

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by Nobody: 3:30am On Jun 15, 2020
Seen
Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by JESUSisKING1: 4:26am On Jun 15, 2020
What is wrong with all these ignorant Nigerian youths. These people do not understand that we all must die at one point or the other?
The mode of exit (whether it's convid 19 or whatever)doesn't matter
Equally,where you are buried doesn't also matter (remember the story of Lazarus and the Rich man)
What matters most is the destination!
Having JESUS now, while we are still breathing, is the ONLY WAY to heaven

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by naptu2: 4:27am On Jun 15, 2020
And that's why the identities of Covid19 patients are usually not made public (except the patient gives permission).

Stigmatisation.

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by maximunimpact(m): 4:29am On Jun 15, 2020
The part that got my attention is the fact that a stranger cannot be buried in a house he built in another town within the country...

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by stainbaba(m): 4:30am On Jun 15, 2020
Buhari must be in shock upon hearing this grin grin grin

RIP to the dead

3 Likes

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by BeforeJuly: 4:30am On Jun 15, 2020
na tribalism and bigotry go kill Naija Laslas.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by Ghostrye: 4:31am On Jun 15, 2020
See the stigma that came with him having died of covid-19. Now imagine if the names of all the people that have had covid-19 mistakingly gets released.

Still, it is best that the family follows NCDC guidelines to bury the man

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by KingWarri: 4:31am On Jun 15, 2020
Another fat ass lie...

1 Like

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by Horllamideh(m): 4:31am On Jun 15, 2020
But but.... Covid-19 is a scamdemic in Nigeria nah.

Na the people wey discard the reality on ground dey always protect themselves pass, a pastor in my area do shout anybody wey wan convince am down. He gave me a lift some days back and I saw sanitizer placed near his gear lever...... since then, me sef double up my guard.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by Parable007: 4:32am On Jun 15, 2020
lordm:
I thought the government handles burial of covid patients
I was thinking same too
Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by mandalorian: 4:33am On Jun 15, 2020
I always laugh whenever I hear this "black life matter" nonsense. Whites treat us better than our brothers. Imagine refusing to bury someone simply because the person is a "stranger". We blacks hate ourselves dearly. That's why we've never moved forward for once as a country and as a continent.

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by redsun(m): 4:35am On Jun 15, 2020
These are the so-called leaders of tomorrow making life hellish for people that have lost a loved one, over nothing. You can tell how bright Nigerian future is with this kind of mindset and with the ones some of the bigots exhibit in this forums. So backward.

6 Likes

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by ecolime(m): 4:35am On Jun 15, 2020
The community youths held the notion that it was against their traditions for a stranger to be buried in the community let alone a COVID-19 patient.

Reason why I am against the 'Black lives matter' movement in Nigeria. We don't like ourselves and we want others to do. Really pathetic.

10 Likes

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by Nobody: 4:36am On Jun 15, 2020
maximunimpact:
The part that got my attention is the fact that a stranger cannot be buried in a house he built in another town within the country...
God will help us,

1 Like

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by Mindlog: 4:38am On Jun 15, 2020
Discrimination even in death but this same people will be screaming black lives matter! angry

4 Likes

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by Oduok(m): 4:39am On Jun 15, 2020
I think it is not a matter of Covid-19 but tradition. Since as Africans we honour religion and tradition, then their tradition should be respected. This may not respond to logic and reason.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by BrandAlliances: 4:40am On Jun 15, 2020
We ruined ourselves- I have never honestly thought that we ruined each other.

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by PrinceMajestic: 4:42am On Jun 15, 2020
The youths are just acting on something else personal. He has right to be buried in his compound whether its his state of origin or not. Urhobo have no tradition like that, how many strangers especially ibo women that married our men are always buried here without any problems. We have no tradition like that

5 Likes

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by Mindlog: 4:42am On Jun 15, 2020
Oduok:
I think it is not a matter of Covid-19 but tradition. Since as Africans we honour religion and tradition, then their tradition should be respected. This may not respond to logic and reason.

But when we go outside of Africa, we expect our host Country to bend their own traditions to accommodate us, screaming inclusivity.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by Samylekey(m): 4:45am On Jun 15, 2020
Another Covid 19 Brouhaha

But on a serious note, I thought Government buries corpses of Covid 19 Patients - So why is this person's case different. Is he another Abba Kyari that rules are bent for?
Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by Authoreety: 4:45am On Jun 15, 2020
That community na thief people, he can be buried in his own land bought by him na....

Which kain rubbish be that na...
Covid ni codeine ko.

I believe the youths have eyes on his properties... Or maybe the man no dey do well or maybe he was using his wealth to intimidate indigenes

3 Likes

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by redsun(m): 4:47am On Jun 15, 2020
Oduok:

Same as oloja collecting egunje from traders in Lagos,abi? Traditions are ways of life that are adaptable and suitable for the moment, not the past.

Some so-called traditions like this and that of Tinubu extortion in Lagos schemes in the name of tradition are primitive, irrational, irresponsible and retrogressive.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by francis5051: 4:47am On Jun 15, 2020
JESUSisKING1:
What is wrong with all these ignorant Nigerian youths. These people do not understand that we all must die at one point or the other?
The mode of exit (whether it's convid 19 or whatever)doesn't matter
Equally,where you are buried doesn't also matter (remember the story of Lazarus and the Rich man)
What matters most is the destination!
Having JESUS now, while we are still breathing, is the ONLY WAY to heaven
mr man respect tradition..if you don't have allow the people that have a tradition to practice it in peace
Remember Proverbs 22:28. "do not remove the landmark of the ancestors".
Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by Tonymegabush1(m): 4:50am On Jun 15, 2020
Delta state governments should take over the man's remains not because the man is a stranger but a convid-19 patient to avoid endangering other people around...
Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by RedBororo(m): 4:51am On Jun 15, 2020
May the death Rest In Peace
But this is a lesson for the living, no matter how rich you are, put a befitting structure in your own town, not because of your retirement but because of your death, no matter the amount of witchcraft in your own town, you don’t need to be there, if the man died abroad is a different ball game, the wife should pay the husband his last respect and take him home, just hope she has a good relationship with the husband people
Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by redsun(m): 4:55am On Jun 15, 2020
francis5051:
mr man respect tradition..if you don't have allow the people that have a tradition to practice it in peace
Remember Proverbs 22:28. "do not remove the landmark of the ancestors".

I wonder what your ancestors will make of you typing virtually in a 21st-century platform with a mindset that dwells irrationally in the past. I am they would have been more realistic and adaptable.

8 Likes

Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by adecz: 4:56am On Jun 15, 2020
Blackman too get wahala!!
Re: Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient by dennisworld1(m): 4:58am On Jun 15, 2020
Carry am to him village or cementary grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do Black Women Get Cellulite? / Does GNLD Drug/ Food Supplements Work? / COVID-19 Update For January 18 2021 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.