Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,334 members, 7,808,184 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:14 AM

Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead (42034 Views)

Henrietta Alokha Is Dead! The Principal Of Bethlehem Girls College Dies In Lagos / Samuel Oladipo Suspended By UNILAG For “Sex For Admission” Scandal / Okikioluwa Uzoma Oladipo Receives £16000 CBMBA Scholarship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by SamuelOamen: 6:26pm On Jun 15, 2020
Emeritus Professor Oladipo Akinkugbe is dead.

Akinkugbe, who was a foremost Nigerian Professor of Medicine at the University College Hospital (UCH) Ibadan, died at the capital city on Monday at 86 years.

He studied and taught at some of the world’s most prestigious universities, including the University of London, Balliol College, University of Oxford England and Harvard Medical School Boston, USA.

He was Chairman, Vesta Healthcare Partners and Chairman of the Presidential Projects Implementation Committee (PPIC) on refurbishing of Teaching Hospitals in Nigeria.

He was also a chairman of the Board of Management of University College Hospital Ibadan, Nigeria and one-time Chairman of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board.

He also served as Pro-Chancellor, University of Port Harcourt; was a former Vice-Chancellor, Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria; a former Vice Chancellor, University of Ilorin; and a former Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Ibadan.

Before hanging the stethoscope, Akinkugbe He practised medicine for 60 years. During the period, he pioneered the establishment of two critical clinics, one in hypertension and the other in renal disorders at the UCH, Ibadan. Both clinics were firsts in Africa.

After retirement, Akinkugbe established his own clinic, the Ibadan Hypertension Clinic, which he managed for 20 years.

A source privy to his death told The Nation that he died quietly in a private residence in Ibadan.

The family is yet to make an official statement.

https://thenationonlineng.net/breaking-prof-akinkugbe-dies/

52 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by tayebest(m): 6:29pm On Jun 15, 2020
Rest on Prof...

Your legacies will be forever remembered! cry

109 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Omihanifa: 6:51pm On Jun 15, 2020
He was a good man

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by decatalyst(m): 6:56pm On Jun 15, 2020
I will personally miss this man.

Well articulated and softly spoken man.

He was Obasanjo's personal physician. He still reads and strive to contribute to knowledge even at old age.

May His soul rest in peace. Chai! His wife will miss him so much.

133 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by decatalyst(m): 6:59pm On Jun 15, 2020
tayebest:
Rest on Prof...

Your legacies will be forever remembered! cry

Yes, as a Nation we lost an epitome of knowledge!

His wealth of experience and connection will be greatly missed.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Artiiclebeast: 7:01pm On Jun 15, 2020
A life well-lived.

It beats my imagination and comprehension that a vegetabled lifeless one would rule a country that parades intellectuals like these.

God, abeg forgive us our tresspasses and deliver is from these enemies of state.

Rest on Prof.

74 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Tolani0167(m): 7:02pm On Jun 15, 2020
Rip prof

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by chatinent: 7:07pm On Jun 15, 2020
Life like a mist.

3 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by mcjokee: 7:34pm On Jun 15, 2020
How time flies, just like yesterday we organized a personality lecture in his honor. Rest on professor of professors and a great Mellanbite.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by punisha: 8:40pm On Jun 15, 2020
Oh no! Why did he died?
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by ModestGal(f): 8:40pm On Jun 15, 2020
Well, these men never had influence on the common Nigerian. I'm sure he was able to have all that because of the way Nigeria was, but they all destroyed it for us.

Look at his profile and you would wonder if he wasn't born of a woman, yes he was, and he might even be from a poor family, there are many professors like that in UI

A time will come in this country, that we would do thesame thing the black Americans are doing for some statues in the US for some of our elders

A poor person would not be able to achieve what this man achieved in this age, not because he won't be brilliant but because he won't even have access to a good primary education

I do not like the old generation and have no respect for them because the destroyed the lifes of our generation. The old generation did not try at all

Edited
Look at how they have turned studying medicine to in Nigeria. Do you want to tell me they don't visit schools abroad and see how they treat students? University of Ibadan has the best school of medicine and yet, the students complain, whenever I hear them complain, I just shake my head because they are enjoying the most when it comes to medicine in Nigeria universities. In a university, they treat medicine students very badly and they go through lots of stress, is that how it is being done abroad, I had to connect with people studying Medicine abroad and saw how easy they made the lifes of their students.
Let's discuss getting admission to study medicine in Nigeria university like UI, isn't that a total nonsense? Tell me how a child with a poor primary education, poor secondary education ever get a chance to study medicine in Nigeria?

Good courses in Nigeria is now becoming that of the rich because the poor would never get that chance. Its becoming a thing for Children from good private secondary schools. I once taught a twins with a brain not beyond average, and they were able to score 300 in UTME, not because they are brilliant but because they attend good secondary schools, and the mother employed 3 of us as lesson teachers. One is studying medicine and the other is studying nursing, if the parents were poor, they may not even pass jamb.
Please check how flexible admission to these courses are abroad, do you want to tell me these prof don't see that? A law student can become a doctor and a doctor can become a law student

Tell me how that poor child will ever have this kind of chance? During these peoples time, every child had almost equal opportunities, and a striving child would make it, but today, a striving child in a school without a Math, English teacher can not make it. This is happening in our public schools
All these things make me cry whenever I see striving teenagers trying to pass Jamb and post utme and thus, I do not like the old people that ruined this country for us

Modified
I don't know this prof and not referring solely to him, but I do know that many of these old men didn't try for US at all. We should not make thesame thing happen to our coming generation and strive to make their lifes better so they won't send CURSES upon us in our graves

109 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by ElRapido: 8:44pm On Jun 15, 2020
Make dem transfer his brain give him first son.

7 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Ghost1994: 8:50pm On Jun 15, 2020
We shall survive this 2020

1 Like

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jun 15, 2020
Rip to the dead
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by decatalyst(m): 9:07pm On Jun 15, 2020
ModestGal:
Well, these men never had influence on the common Nigerian. I'm sure he was able to have all that because of the way Nigeria was, but they all destroyed it for us.

Look at his profile and you would wonder if he wasn't born of a woman, yes he was, and he might even be from a poor family, there are many professors like that in UI

A time will come in this country, that we would do thesame thing the black Americans are doing for some statues in the US for some of our elders

A poor person would not be able to achieve what this man achieved in this age, not because he won't be brilliant but because he won't even have access to a good primary education

I do not like the old generation and have no respect for them because the destroyed the lifes of our generation. The old generation did not try at all

Shut your dirty mouth, you ignoramus!

Yes, remain poor and continue to blame others for your failures and misery. That's what people that epitomize failure do!

Just imagine the accomplishment this man was able to garner, the impact he had in medicine and the lives that were saved through his research works, yet a nonentity like you have the effrontery to spew thrash you wrote up there. I was equally impressed when I read about the father of Chimmanda, and the early days of Okonjo Ideals. I could only appreciate and hope I am able to give my kids the best out there.

Greatness and success is a product of our mindset, thoughts and hard work. Obviously you have bitterness in your heart. Your case is pathetic to say the least!

If your parents, family, government, guardian, society or friends fail you, don't fail yourself and your children!

ModestGal:

Lol, see this asslicker. Anyway, I don't blame you, you are wired and raised to be an asslicker and an uncouth human. Abeg, I no get time for u, look elsewhere to type the Grammer you memorized on Nairaland. You are too shallow for me, bye

Well, it is so sad that @seun created a platform for sane intellectually developed individuals to congregate, share views, proffer solution, help and generally support the gregarious nature of men. However, cheap or free mobile data dole out by mobile operators has contributed to spike in the number of docile and senile riffraff like you on the internet.

Do you have an idea of what it takes to really earn a B.Sc. not to talk of being an Emeritus Professor of medicine?

Truly, a prophet is not valued at his home.

PS: I would rather lick my own butt than lick that of a senile being like you!

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by ModestGal(f): 9:19pm On Jun 15, 2020
decatalyst:

Yes, remain poor and continue to blame others for your failures and misery. That's what people that epitomize failure do!

Just imagine the accomplishment this man was able to garner, the impact he had in medicine and the life's that were saved through his research works, yet a nonentity like you have the effrontery to spew thrash you wrote up there.

Greatness and success is a product of our mindset, thoughts and hard work. Obviously you have bitterness in your heart. Your case is pathetic to say the least!
Lol, see this asslicker. Anyway, I don't blame you, you are wired and raised to be an asslicker and an uncouth human. Abeg, I no get time for u, look elsewhere to type the Grammer you memorized on Nairaland. You are too shallow for me, bye

8 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by paulsir: 9:22pm On Jun 15, 2020
decatalyst:

Just imagine the accomplishment this man was able to garner, the impact he had in medicine and the life's that were saved through his research works, yet a nonentity like you have the effrontery to spew thrash you wrote up there.

See finishing! I need to put your words in London museum and preserve it for life. Eeeeeh people can talk Sha.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by ZACHIE: 9:22pm On Jun 15, 2020
A lived life.
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by bukkysam(f): 9:27pm On Jun 15, 2020
Repent today tomorrow is not sure for you

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Royalbloodline: 9:35pm On Jun 15, 2020
Rest in peace emeritus...
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Simeonjoe1: 9:37pm On Jun 15, 2020
chatinent:
Life like a mist.

Appears for a while then disappears
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by AmKen(m): 10:06pm On Jun 15, 2020
Don't just waste your data for nothing, Make money with it.

I am a DM away from showing you a few things that can pay you.

Just requires simple task being done to get paid.

I can also teach you 2d and 3d animation and logo design.
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by wabbyland(m): 10:11pm On Jun 15, 2020
ModestGal:

What are you saying?

11 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by bola4dprec(m): 10:28pm On Jun 15, 2020
ModestGal:

Grief

5 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by decatalyst(m): 10:32pm On Jun 15, 2020
ModestGal:

Well, it is so sad that @seun created a platform for sane intellectually developed individuals to congregate, share views, proffer solution, help and generally support the gregarious nature of men. However, cheap or free mobile data dole out by mobile operators has contributed to spike in the number of docile and senile riffraff like you on the internet.

Do you have an idea of what it takes to really earn a B.Sc. not to talk of being an Emeritus professor of medicine?

Truly, a prophet is not valued at his home.

7 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by JPAlagwu(m): 11:03pm On Jun 15, 2020
na wa o.. this Corona sef
Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jun 15, 2020
RIP Professor.
You have done Well.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by flokii: 11:27pm On Jun 15, 2020
Rest on Prof.. you lived a fulfilled life

1 Like

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by doggedfighter(f): 11:33pm On Jun 15, 2020
He has paid his dues

1 Like

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Randal: 11:58pm On Jun 15, 2020
A great icon has left.

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by lenghtinny(m): 12:18am On Jun 16, 2020
A trailblazer in his profession...

The kind of people worthy of emulation

1 Like

Re: Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead by Crackhead25(m): 12:20am On Jun 16, 2020
Rest in peace Prof

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Things You Don't Know About Japanese Schools / see What Fuel Scarcity Caused In FUNAAB / This Boy Wore Up To 8 Shirts To School To Lessen The Pains Of The Teacher's Cane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.