Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,674 members, 7,801,946 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:39 AM

Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki (2868 Views)

2023: Wike Changes Permutations In PDP, Becomes Major Threat To Atiku / PDP: Fresh Defection Fears Trail Two Southeast, South-South Governors / Presidential Election Dispute: Tribunal To Hear Atiku, Pdp’s Fresh Motion, July (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by kahal29: 6:39pm On Jun 15, 2020
ABUJA- Ahead of the governorship primaries of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in Edo state, embattled Governor Godwin Obaseki is set to run on the platform of the party following his disqualification from the race by the screening committee of the All Progressives Congress, APC, on Friday.

Obaseki who has since met with PDP chieftains including Governors Udom Emmanuel and Nyesom Wike of Akwa Ibom and Rivers states respectively has made up his mind to defect to the PDP this week, Vanguard gathered on Monday.

Although defection of a sitting governor is considered a big harvest by the receiving party in this part, Obaseki would settle for terms put in place by the PDP in a bid to push for the renewal of his tenancy of Osadebe Avenue, the Edo state Government House.

Until Obaseki’s ordeal hit a new height last Friday, the PDP had settled for Hon. Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama, a member of the House of Representatives and Chairman, Committee on Culture and Tourism as their preferred flag bearer. However, it appears the lawmaker from Oredo Local Government would have to settle for another election cycle, if recent developments in the camp of Obaseki are anything to by.

Findings by our correspondent reveal that though Obaseki would be no part of the July 22 primary election, the winner would pave way for Obaseki by way of substitution of candidate by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC rules. However, this would come with a price as the party has come up with a strategy to appease its members, particularly those who obtained the nomination forms to participate in the primaries.

Obaseki, Vanguard gathered, would have to sacrifice his trusted ally and incumbent Edo state deputy governor, Philip Shaibu, with whom he had expected to run jointly for a second term. A member of the National Working Committee of the PDP told our correspondent in confidence that to reward loyalty, Obaseki’s running mate would be provided by the party “if things go as planned.”

He said: “The party would accept his defection and would let him run on its platform. The reason for this is partly because the party believes Adams Oshiomhole’s vindictiveness must not be condoned in this circumstance. Again, you would recall that this party once lauded the governor’s development strides sometimes ago. So, we believe he has something to offer the good people of Edo state.

“But the matter at issue is a bit sensitive. We have leaders who stayed put with this party and refused to jump ship when we lost power to the opposition. In the past twelve years that we have been in opposition, they stayed and helped provide a robust opposition to the Edo state governments of Oshiomhole and later, Obaseki.

It is for this reason the party has told the governor some truths, which are being seen as conditions. He would have to pick a running mate from the crop of our eminently qualified party chieftains from Edo state.”

Apart from Ogbeide-Ihama, the duo of philanthropist, Kenneth Imansuangbon and Engineer Gideon Ikhine, also obtained the governorship nomination forms but Imansuangbon is tipped to run with Obaseki in the September 19 election. The major factor working in his favour is that Imansuangbon, who like Ikhine, hails from Edo Central Senatorial District, is a serial contestant for the office who has paid his dues.

However, a confidant of Governor Obaseki who also worked with Oshiomhole in the past has cast doubt over the choice of Imansuangbon as a possible running mate to the embattled governor. Speaking on condition of anonymity, he said, “The governor will make up his mind on a running mate if he can’t go to this contest with Mr. Shaibu. Everybody is talking about Kenneth (Imansuangbon) but it might end up being another person. There are reasons for this which I won’t disclose yet. Urged to disclose at least a reason, he noted: “Do not forget that the PDP Edo state chairman is from Edo Central, same Senatorial District as Imansuangbon. These things count and is going to count.”

It is not clear yet how Shaibu, the sacrificial lamb in the ensuing political chess game is taking the new permutations.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/06/edo-guber-pdp-fresh-permutations-favour-obaseki/

1 Like

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Finnese001: 6:44pm On Jun 15, 2020
okay
Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Olofin2(m): 6:45pm On Jun 15, 2020
Nyamirin newspaper.

Shuaibu don buy markate!

2 Likes

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by slivertongue: 6:46pm On Jun 15, 2020
guess work

1 Like

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Bewiseedet(m): 6:50pm On Jun 15, 2020
Poor shuaibu. But what ever it takes to down Adams is welcomed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by drskyfly007(m): 6:50pm On Jun 15, 2020
Imansiagbon is loved by edolites due to his many years of philanthropy.

2 Likes

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by comos: 6:52pm On Jun 15, 2020
Obaseki will win with any party

4+4 Torgba

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Brandstudio01: 6:53pm On Jun 15, 2020
Okz
Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by IJOBA2: 6:54pm On Jun 15, 2020
OVER TO MY BRETHREN
Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jun 15, 2020
Shaibu is the person OSHIOMOLE is afraid of.

How shall these things be...no shaibu? E pain me o

3 Likes

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by IJOBA2: 6:56pm On Jun 15, 2020
Olofin2:
Nyamirin newspaper.

Shuaibu don buy markate!
ALWAYS ON TIME

I’M ASHAMED OF MY PEOPLE

1 Like

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jun 15, 2020
Monies have been disbursed to online warriors, expect barrage of fake news against Obaseki in a few hours..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by WATCHOVER(m): 7:00pm On Jun 15, 2020
My appeal to the PDP and the governor is to compensate Phillip Shaibu well.
Because the guy has been of great help to Obaseki's administration.

I hereby launch the harsh tag #compensateShaibu

8 Likes

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jun 15, 2020
WATCHOVER:

Shuaibu might retain his position or get chief of staff... a chief of staff position is more involved than a deputy Gov.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by cpu2006(m): 7:05pm On Jun 15, 2020
Shuaibu will not defect along with Obaseki bcs of this issue. Both of them should go to SDP & contest.
They struggle together & they must enjoying or go down together.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by CilicMarin: 7:24pm On Jun 15, 2020
Esseite:

Shuaibu might get chief of staff..

All these ipob yoots self: So shuaibu will come down from the height of Deputy Governor, only to become Chief of Staff?

4 Likes

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by seanfer(m): 7:24pm On Jun 15, 2020
Esseite:

From Deputy Governor?

2 Likes

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by CilicMarin: 7:25pm On Jun 15, 2020
WATCHOVER:

Don't go and get yourself employed... Continue trending hashtags for politicians, while they steal your future. .. angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by joshjc(m): 7:37pm On Jun 15, 2020
Esseite:

just look at what you wrote,so he downgrade himself to the position of chief of staff.

1 Like

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Dansuqi: 7:37pm On Jun 15, 2020
slivertongue:
guess work

I think what obaseki will do will be close to this guess work
Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Dansuqi: 7:40pm On Jun 15, 2020
Esseite:

Funny apc hater.without shuaibu,oshiomhole will completely crush obaseki in Edo north same way bello crushed pdp in kogi central.. Apc can afford to lose Edo south and central,nothing will stop them from using Edo north margins to win
Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Dansuqi: 7:41pm On Jun 15, 2020
Bewiseedet:
Poor shuaibu. But what ever it takes to down Adams is welcomed.

Nothing can remove him for now
Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by festacman(m): 7:43pm On Jun 15, 2020
Why should PDP primaries go ahead, produce a clear winner and then the winner will step down for Gov. Obaseki. Believe me, Obaseki will be a mugu to fall for this trap. Legally speaking, participating in party primaries is crucial in becoming an official party candidate.

What if the winner of the primaries agrees to step down, allow Obaseki to spend all the money to campaign and run. Then if he wins the election, the original winner goes to court to say he won the primaries and ought to be official PDP candidate and not Obaseki who didn't participate in the primaries.

I just think something is as fishy as 'dry mangala fish' in this arrangement.

1 Like

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Bewiseedet(m): 7:51pm On Jun 15, 2020
Dansuqi:

Nothing can remove him for now
he's no god
Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jun 15, 2020
joshjc:
just look at what you wrote,so he downgrade himself to the position of chief of staff.

How do you call COS downgrade, that is the engine room of governance.
Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jun 15, 2020
seanfer:

From Deputy Governor?

A COS is more involved than a deputy Gov.
Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Nadaken: 8:19pm On Jun 15, 2020
Esan has given more to pdp than any of the other zones.

It is it's right to be governor/deputy because i don't see any other district that sacrificed more.

Airhavbehe, ogiewonyi, ize iyamu etc who enjoyed pdp largesse still ported when heat was on
Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Morisjohn(m): 8:24pm On Jun 15, 2020
Once a traitor always a traitor.I sympathize with Philip Shuaibu the deputy governor because he is the biggest loser.

1 Like

Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Flyingngel(m): 8:27pm On Jun 15, 2020
useless permutation.
If Obaseki drop his deputy then loyalty is not in his blood except the deputy willingly accept to drop for the greater good.
Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Johnnyessence(m): 8:53pm On Jun 15, 2020
Nice one from PDP family.
Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by FromZeroToHero(m): 8:57pm On Jun 15, 2020
Imansuangbon I can't even pronounce this name not to talk of spelling it. They should check this man's credentials to avoid the Bayelsa saga
Re: Edo Guber: PDP Fresh Permutations Favour Obaseki by Somodooo: 8:59pm On Jun 15, 2020
[s]
CilicMarin:

All these ipob yoots self: So shuaibu will come down from the height of Deputy Governor, only to become Chief of Staff?
[/s]
shatap there and get out NgeneUkwenu

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Seven (7) Dead As Military Men Attack Peaceful Protesters In Lekki Toll Gate / Breaking: Police Invade Kano Goverment Lodge In Abuja, Hold 5 Governors Hostage / “omisore Is After My Life, I’m Receiving Death Threats” – Lagbaja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.