Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,014 members, 7,803,370 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:31 PM

Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. - Family (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. (10626 Views)

What’s The Hardest Part About Marriage That No One Ever Talks About? / Things I Saw In A Coded Bar/motel, Bothering Me About Marriage! / What's Your Biggest Fear About Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by ThaThinka: 4:52pm On Sep 13, 2020
AnonymousRebec:

My dear, my value matches yours. I'm below 26 and my portfolio is good enough for my age. I'm an igbo girl who prays to marry an igbo man. I am open to having a conversation with you if it's ok with you.

Open am make we see.
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by Nobody: 7:50pm On Sep 13, 2020
ThaThinka:

Open am make we see.

grin. I don't want to open my portfolio here except the need arises grin
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by Nobody: 7:53pm On Sep 13, 2020
GuyInTheMirror:

smiley Thanks .

You're welcome cool
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by dep07(f): 8:44pm On Sep 13, 2020
GuyInTheMirror:

smiley Thanks .
l like your courage.You are a very confident young Lady.
@Op, please don't forget to send Nairalanders wedding invite.
Congrats in advance.
I quoted the wrong person.
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by DAramis: 2:25am On Sep 19, 2020
It was an interesting read from the first page though the thread was derailed at some point. The beauty of a forum is the ability to see things from different perspectives of individuals rather than one perspective.

I wish the Op well in his quest and may it be easy for him as he seeks out that which his heart seeks. As for the West, time shall come they will simply move back to stone age but they should be kind enough to keep other continents out of it.

My only advice is this: Everyone has standards classified into Major and minor ones but there may be a situation where you will need to chip off one or two things from the minor list and work towards actualizing his or her aim without losing out entirely.
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by GuyInTheMirror: 4:50am On Sep 19, 2020
DAramis:
It was an interesting read from the first page though the thread was derailed at some point. The beauty of a forum is the ability to see things from different perspectives of individuals rather than one perspective.

I wish the Op well in his quest and may it be easy for him as in seeks out that which his heart seeks. As for the West, time shall come they will simply move back to stone age but they should be kind enough to keep other continent out of it.

My only advice is this: Everyone has standards classified into Major and minor ones but there may be a situation where you will need to chip off one or two things from the minor list and work towards actualizing his or her aim without losing out entirely.
Thanks for your suggestions, would you mind being more explicit ? wink wink
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by DAramis: 4:56pm On Sep 19, 2020
GuyInTheMirror:

Thanks for your suggestions, would you mind being more explicit ? wink wink

I mean, the major standard could be:
Good woman, honest woman, respectful, easy going etc. On the otherhand, minor standard could be being maximum of 26 years, slim shaped, graduate, prayerful, from rich family etc.

In this 2 standards, you might not meet all the standards in one woman. you need to chip off some while still working towards actualizing your aim without losing out.

For example, you might meet a woman who is less than 26years, slimed shape, but not from a rich family, not prayerful, respectful, honest, not a graduate etc. If you notice, the woman met some standards which you might have wanted and miss other ones, while another woman above 26years (probably 28 or 29 yrs) who met most of the standards more than the first woman but unfortunately age knocked her off.

It is now left for you to look between the two ladies and decide on which one to follow while still actualizing your aim which is to marry a woman that will give you piece of mind and free from nagging attitude. You being a quiet person (according to you), the worst thing that will happen to you will be to marry a nagging woman. Your 10 years peace which you have achieved over the years would be wiped out in less than 2 months.

Na wah, see as I dey write epistle on top this matter. Abeg no vex say I write long epistle.

1 Like

Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by DayTen: 10:02pm On Sep 19, 2020
GuyInTheMirror:
MODS PLEASE NO FRONT PAGE!!!

Hi everyone, so I am not a new member of Nairaland.
I decided to create this new profile so that I can be annonymous.
I was hoping to speak with some matured people here about the issue of marriage.

I am a 34 year old man who happened to immigrate about 2 years ago, I am a very gentle and highly ambitious person and God has blessed me.
I work for one of the biggest firms here in North America , I used to work in a great firm too back in Naija before immigrating.

Now to the issue of marriage, I am in a kind of dilemna.
I am the type of person that values marriage and a quiet life.
I do not smoke, drink or womanise. I am actually the type you'd call a church boy. I dream for a respectful wife whom I can love and adore and build a family with.

But it seems being in North America makes that complicated.
1. Majority of the women that surrounds me are in their 30s. I personally would prefer to marry someone not older than 26 years for personal reasons.
2. Many of these women are closet feminists and they tend to be much louder than the personality I am looking for in a woman I'd like to settle with.

I have attempted to start relationships with ladies that tend to meet my description back in Nigeria, but I became shocked cos it seems once a lady knows a man is abroad they become lovey dovey. They start to pretend like they are saints so that has put me off as I do not want a lady to pretend for me.

The options before me are :
1. Look for someone that is close to my requirement here and marry her and hope for the best.
2. Look for someone back in naija and marry and sponsor her to North America.
3. Wait for 2 more years, get my citizenship, come back to naija and blend in like a regular guy and try to meet a lady that does not know I am an abroad person to avoid pretense then try to get a babe. (In 2 years time I will be 36 years old, is this not too old ?)

I would like people with a lot of insight to educate me on what appears to be the best option.
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by ecolime(m): 6:40am On Sep 20, 2020
@OP

Being abroad shouldn't be your sole selling point. What type of person are you? What is your faith, tribe and value system?
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by dingbang(m): 6:46am On Sep 20, 2020
Boss13:

Unfortunately, men in the western world don't have rights anymore. Attention is paid more in the follow category

Men's rights < women's rights < LGBTQ rights < Animal rights < Children & vulnerable people's rights.

As you can see animals have more rights than men and men do not really have a say, but do all the biddings for other advocacy groups. As a result, a lot of western men are not considering marriage. Many are going their own way (MGTOW). This is what feminists caused. That's why I laugh at many African women claiming to be feminists. These women have more rights and are still screaming for more because they don't know what to do with the rights they already have.

The LGBTQ movement is getting more attention than the feminist advocacy group and these feminists don't like it. Anyways, feminists have destroyed traditional values and responsible for the breakdown of the family structure. Hence, I laugh again at African women claiming to be feminists. They clearly do not know what they are doing. There are some feminist group in America calling for the death of men just because they are men.

Young men who are unmarried, one of the first conversation to ask your date should include if she is a feminist. If she says yes, whether she understands what it means or not - abeg waka peacefully.
cool
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by Justkatty(f): 12:01pm On Sep 20, 2020
Seeing this post made me realize that, there are still men who look beyond the physical appearance before approaching a lady, though my advice maybe coming late but notwithstanding I'll still chip in my little advice. Don't allow that mind set of I'm established already to make you lost your ordain spouse think about it. Obrigado
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by GuyInTheMirror: 11:19pm On Sep 20, 2020
ecolime:
@OP

Being abroad shouldn't be your sole selling point. What type of person are you? What is your faith, tribe and value system?

I do not smoke, drink or womanise. I am actually the type you'd call a church boy. I dream for a respectful wife whom I can love and adore and build a family with.
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by GuyInTheMirror: 11:19pm On Sep 20, 2020
Justkatty:
Seeing this post made me realize that, there are still men who look beyond the physical appearance before approaching a lady, though my advice maybe coming late but notwithstanding I'll still chip in my little advice. [b]Don't allow that mind set of I'm established already to make you lost your ordain spouse [/b]think about it. Obrigado
Kindly explain the bolded .
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by Jotrade: 11:24pm On Sep 20, 2020
My guy the best advice I can give to you is to look for a very nice girl in which country you are base. I am a Nigerian living in Canada am talking from experience. Ninety percent of the people I know who went back home to get married later regrets that decision.

2 Likes

Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by GuyInTheMirror: 4:59am On Sep 21, 2020
Jotrade:
My guy the best advice I can give to you is to look for a very nice girl in which country you are base. I am a Nigerian living in Canada am talking from experience. Ninety percent of the people I know who went back home to get married later regrets that decision.
Thanks bro , when they went back home did they make it know that they were a sure ticket to the abroad or did they behave like a regular Nigerian.
I am quite certain most of this people met these ladies online or they were recommended to them by people and this ladies already knew they were based abroad so it was easy for those ladies to pretend.

What do you think ?
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by RuggedSniper: 5:32am On Sep 21, 2020
elektra:
If you don’t care about race/nationality then I recommend joining a church in the US where you live.
There are some churches here that operate like cults (not trying to be mean just saying the truth). Everyone in the church marries within the church and live church-approved lifestyles.
It is usually a small-medium sized church where everyone knows everyone and the women are extremely conservative (something you seem to prefer). The rate of divorce in those churches are 0%.
I doubt this suggestion with help with your age stipulation though, cos even conservative <26year old girls in US will prefer to marry someone in their age group. Good luck.
^^^Aha! Small town churches/religious groups are notoriously insular.
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by ecolime(m): 6:09am On Sep 21, 2020
GuyInTheMirror:

I can link you up with a decent lady that meets your spec.

The only issue I see here is the high age disparity. Let me know if you are interested.
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by RuggedSniper: 7:18am On Sep 21, 2020
GuyInTheMirror:
MODS PLEASE NO FRONT PAGE!!!

Hi everyone, so I am not a new member of Nairaland.
I decided to create this new profile so that I can be annonymous.
I was hoping to speak with some matured people here about the issue of marriage.

I am a 34 year old man who happened to immigrate about 2 years ago, I am a very gentle and highly ambitious person and God has blessed me.
I work for one of the biggest firms here in North America , I used to work in a great firm too back in Naija before immigrating.

Now to the issue of marriage, I am in a kind of dilemna.

But it seems being in North America makes that complicated.
1. Majority of the women that surrounds me are in their 30s. I personally would prefer to marry someone not older than 26 years for personal reasons.
2. Many of these women are closet feminists and they tend to be much louder than the personality I am looking for in a woman I'd like to settle with.

I have attempted to start relationships with ladies that tend to meet my description back in Nigeria, but I became shocked cos it seems once a lady knows a man is abroad they become lovey dovey. They start to pretend like they are saints so that has put me off as I do not want a lady to pretend for me.

The options before me are :
1. Look for someone that is close to my requirement here and marry her and hope for the best.
2. Look for someone back in naija and marry and sponsor her to North America.
3. Wait for 2 more years, get my citizenship, come back to naija and blend in like a regular guy and try to meet a lady that does not know I am an abroad person to avoid pretense then try to get a babe. (In 2 years time I will be 36 years old, is this not too old?)

I would like people with a lot of insight to educate me on what appears to be the best option.
^^^36 is NOT too old to get married for men as men still married for the first time right up to 50 for many reasons. It is not how long but how well. There are Nigerian/African churches and Nigerian cultural associations in major U.S. And UK cities for social networking and for referrals, etc. Last but not least, I'm in sync with your option #3. All the best.
Re: Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. by Justkatty(f): 7:22pm On Sep 21, 2020
GuyInTheMirror:

Kindly explain the bolded .
what I'm saying in essence is that, you should be mindful when choosing a partner. I pray God help you as you plan entering a new phase of life. Obrigado

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Is Writing A Will Really Advantageous To Your Children ? / Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? / Beware Of Craddle Robbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.