Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,229 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools (26751 Views)

NAAT Warns FG Against Accepting ASUU’s UTAS / Oyo Re-opens Schools On Monday; Parents, Teachers In Dilemma / Parents, Teachers Panic As Lunatic,hoodlums Take Over Ekiti School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by bayotwice(f): 6:31am On Jun 16, 2020
…It is better to lose a session than lives — NMA; Appropriate time to reopen is September — AMLSN

…Safety & health of all is paramount — NAPTAN; Health factor takes pride of place — NUT

As pressure mounts on the Federal Government to reopen schools across the country in the wake of the 2nd phase relaxation of the COVID-10 restrictions on socio-economic activities, critical stakeholders in the health and education sectors have called on the Federal and state governments to exercise restraint in reopening schools.

In May, the Presidential Task Force, PTF, on COVID-19 had recommended that states be allowed to decide on the reopening of schools, has not fixed issued for resumption and reopening of schools across the country.

Calling for caution, the Nigeria Medical Association, NMA, and the Association of Medical Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria, ALMSN, warned against any plan to rush to reopen schools.

In a similar response, the National Parent Teacher Association of Nigeria, NAPTAN, and the Nigeria Union of Teachers, NUT, said a critical appraisal of the situation must be done to arrive at a decision that would not lead to regret later.

It is better to lose a session than lose lives — Prof Innocent Ujah, National President, NMA

On his own part, the President of the Nigeria Medical Association, NMA, Prof Innocent Ujah said the coast was not yet clear to reopen the schools.

“We may not have to rush; if it is left to me I would say we should have waited for the next quarter and see what will happens. It is better to lose a session than losing our lives. It does not matter whether we are losing a session rather than escalating the community transmission and die of COVID 19. Nobody has the answer when it is rising or the trend.

Ujah, who frowned on the poor compliance of the public with the relaxation guidelines, argued that it is better to lose a session than lose lives.

“I think it is better to be alive than dying or be infected. I think we should be cautious. If the coast is not clear because we don’t even know the directions that we are going, the coronavirus cases are increasing. Fatality is increasing even though it is about is still under 3 percent but any one life lost matters.

“It is difficult to say what is on ground to make the state government think of telling students to go back to school. Have they gotten the emergency protocols including the wearing of face masks, hand washing, and use of sanitisers and social distancing?

“Those are the basic protocols that they need. We don’t even know the capacity of the classrooms. Are they congested? Will they just sit down and take lectures and go home and not go for sports? If they go home and they are infected will they not infect their family members? There so many questions unanswered so we need to be cautious, ” he asserted.

Most appropriate time to open schools is September — Dr Casmir Ifeanyi, National Publicity Secretary, AMLSN

In the views of the National Publicity Secretary, Association of Medical Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria, AMLSN, Dr Casmir Ifeanyi who expressed worry about Nigerians compliance to the lockdown protocols, said it is not safe to open schools now because Nigeria has not run enough tests for a reasonable time to determine the curve of the infection.

“If I am a part of the technocrats driving this intervention, our schools should have remained closed until sometime in September. That is a more effective thing to do in this circumstance. That way, we would have had enough time to interpret this spike with epidemiological parameters to decide the prevalence of the disease and where we are in the pandemic in Nigeria."

“There are a lot of uncertainties on where we are in Nigeria and the disease morbidity in-country. Unfortunately, people are in a hurry and I have always advocated we make haste slowly. That is not happening and that is worrisome.”

Safety & health of all is paramount — Haruna Danjuma, National President, NAPTAN

In a telephone call on Sunday, the National President, NAPTAN, Haruna Danjuma, told Vanguard that the Association has entered into discussion with the Presidential Task Force in COVID-19 on the matter.

“Two weeks ago, we had a meeting with the committee and a number of issues and proposals were raised. The committee put forward some conditions that must be met before schools will be reopened. This is because we are not talking only about public schools, private schools are also involved and we cannot reopen one and leave the other.

“The meeting was not conclusive as there were some issues to be thrashed out and we are going to meet with them soon. However, one thing is important, the decision to be taken must consider the safety and health of all persons in the education sector,” Danjuma stated.

Health factor takes pride of place — Adesina Adedoyin, Lagos State Chairman, NUT

Also reacting to the development, the Lagos State Chairman of the NUT, Otunba Adesina Adedoyin, argued that the health factor must take pride of place in arriving at whatever decision.

“As teachers, we want to go back to our duty posts but safety first. When we talk about safety and the health of stakeholders, we are not just talking about the pupils and students, but also about teachers and other workers in the sector. It is only the living that can learn, teach or sponsor the education of another person.

“I understand the plight of our colleagues in private schools, most of whom are not paid salaries during this period, but that is not to say we should rush to do things we will later regret. Let us aggregate the opinions of experts and if they say it is safe for all to reopen schools, there is no problem with that,” he noted.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2020/06/covid-19-doctors-parents-teachers-caution-fg-against-opening-of-schools/amp/

6 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by Nobody: 6:36am On Jun 16, 2020
Earn up to 2k weekly
Check the link in my signature to get started

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by Goldenkrezi: 6:45am On Jun 16, 2020
Same news everyday

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by jakD: 6:46am On Jun 16, 2020
It's funny anyway. Markets are very crowdy and nothing like prevention. I understand market is essential though, but then, so should education be also.
Anyway, it seems the virus doesn't target markets, and other actively opened places. Maybe Government is aware that school is the major target of the virus.
Most students don't know anything anymore. Any school that will be starting exam immediately after this thing should be ready for mass failure.
May God be with us all.

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by TransflectTP(m): 7:05am On Jun 16, 2020
wink lipsrsealed
Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by YorubaKinging: 10:18am On Jun 16, 2020
Well, obviously, you don't know what you're doing

If you insist on not allowing your kids to go to school because of an UNdeadly virus

For how long ?

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by cryptotech: 10:18am On Jun 16, 2020
it important necessary precaution should be taken.
Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by Exxoonty(m): 10:18am On Jun 16, 2020
They should not open it ooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by IceLip: 10:18am On Jun 16, 2020
true

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by hisexcellency34: 10:18am On Jun 16, 2020
Let Buhari kukuma declare the total lockdown again

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by ODUBEZE: 10:19am On Jun 16, 2020
ShopifyWordPres:
I still don't know why schools are closed down and markets are opened... Anyway check my signature
Don't mind them, A handful of people will just stay somewhere and make decisions for millions of people

As I am typing this now children from different compound converged in my compound and have been playing since early in the morning

In fact it's was their noise that woke me, how many parents are there supervising them

What has happened to them over the month Tomorrow again, they will still converge

The children are restless with nothing to keep them busy, instead of them playing away their life, is its not better to keep them busy in school

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by fidelmarshal199: 10:19am On Jun 16, 2020
What I think is that this covid lockdown is a new way the federal government devices to punish the poor masses.
_How can u say their is an interstate lockdown when I can easily travel to any state of my choice in the country.
_How can u put schools on lockdown and also contemplating on direct primary.
The private school teachers will suffer the most

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by loadedvibes: 10:19am On Jun 16, 2020
Ogbeni open our schools joor.. what's all these na.

Anyway come and buy kids Educational Tablets for your your children to help them stay ahead of their peers view my profile now

7 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by money121(m): 10:19am On Jun 16, 2020
Ok
Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by NaijaRoyalty(m): 10:19am On Jun 16, 2020
Education is not a priority in Nigeria according to the federal government of APC

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by Nobody: 10:19am On Jun 16, 2020
Lies.... teachers that are crying..especially private school teachers....

17 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by ThatFairGuy: 10:19am On Jun 16, 2020
Year 2020 is gone. Only God can judge covid-19 Sha,.
NaijaRoyalty:
Education is not a priority in Nigeria according to the federal government of APC
Before talking trash, it is he who lives that seeks education. Life is a priority now, not education.

ArinzeAnthony03:
Useless government., And market and churches are open, which one now is easier to get the Corona?

If market places are not open, is it your faeces you will be eating?

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by Meel: 10:20am On Jun 16, 2020
Nigeria na Bleep up country, coro no fit leave this country till the en of this year.
Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by ArinzeAnthony03: 10:20am On Jun 16, 2020
Useless government., And market and churches are open, which one now is easier to get the Corona?

5 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by Anneka101(f): 10:20am On Jun 16, 2020
This long stay at home is a disaster to the education of our kids.

It's very unprofessional to open market and schools remained closed.

I think some measures are suppose to be taken and schools opened instead of closing for how long

Bulk sales of Luminous inverter and luminous battery 220AH Tubular.
Battery; SOLAR PANEL 150WATTS
SOLAR PANEL 250WATTS 24V

090 5042 9481

And Installation. Check my profile and contact me.

4 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by Goke7: 10:20am On Jun 16, 2020
ShopifyWordPres:
I still don't know why schools are closed down and markets are opened... Anyway check my signature

are you normal? do children go to markets, rubbish

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by Geofavor(m): 10:21am On Jun 16, 2020
Personally, I would like academic activities to be suspended until the end of the year...
By then, things would have normalized fully.
Better safe than sorry. I'm in my finals, but I can wait.
With or without schools, education continues. Children can always learn at home if their parents want. The truth is most parents use schooling as a way of getting rid of their kids during the day.
Teachers should try to hustle online or somewhere else where they won't easily be at risk in the meantime. After all, you can't teach if you're down with an illness, or worse, dead.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by chukwuibuipob: 10:21am On Jun 16, 2020
Who are those Fic,parents ooo? Cos sss 3,pry 6 peepz Dey attend lesson here in ibeju lekki oo.
Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by Jonasbadoo(m): 10:22am On Jun 16, 2020
Nawa oo
Open tertiary institutions at least na
Abeg I no won exceed my time for school oh

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by propsvilla3: 10:22am On Jun 16, 2020
Ok

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by chukwukapromise(m): 10:22am On Jun 16, 2020
So all these associations are saying that we should wait for the coast to be clear for us to reopen schools?..

So the question is, when exactly would the coast be clear?... And how do they plan on clearing the coast?

Even by September, our livescore would still be reading 300+ per day.. So what's the point again? undecided

Just try and put protocols in place for the Reopening and not waiting for the number of case to reduce before Declaring the coast a clear one.. The coast cannot be cleared and that was evident in the Lockdown.. And if we are waiting for the coast to be cleared, then nah 2021 we dey look so.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 16, 2020
They are not serious..

They should open University abeg.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Doctors, Parents, Teachers Caution FG Against Re-Opening Of Schools by jayworld15(m): 10:23am On Jun 16, 2020
When countries in Europe, America, Asia are easing their lockdown, that’s where you see Nigeria resonating her voice to locking down ironically her most vital sector( though not vital but least, through taking a thorough check on management, funding, policies, structures etc). It is appalling that the most crowded zone (Market) is opened without following laid down rules while schools are shut. It is more egregious that the makers of law are the breakers of same laws. And it is most unthinkably wicked that the government rather than providing palliatives for her citizens denied them of such but created daunting task of suffering to her citizens through taxations. The same government is without blueprint on how to combat this pandemic or scamdemic (according to individual’s belief) and is now telling her citizens that their “survival is now in their hands”. Oh! Lord. My pipu, make nnah try sheta nnah sef o! Nigerian government doesn’t give a Bleep if you live or die as long as money comes in into the national purse.

Protect yourself!

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between OND And ND? / Let's Know The English Names / Nigeria National Anthem & Pledge In English, Yoruba & Hausa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.