Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,196 members, 7,807,669 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:08 PM

Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice - Food (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice (54402 Views)

The Best Method Of Cooking Nigerian Egusi Soup / A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) / Gambia Beat Nigeria , Ghana And Senegal In Jollof Rice Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 11:12pm On Jun 16, 2020
sassysure:

Okay.

If u are a lady like me, I would have taken you deep into the various types of smoky jollof rice we have in Nigeria. Party jollof rice is just one of them and on the level of smokines, I will take the other two first. All don't have anything to do with firewood.

I agree firewood can give off smoky flavour. But we can get smoky flavour without using firewood.

You can fry your dry rice first before cooking. No be only us dey cook Smokey jollof rice. It's a very popular cuisine.

Please share your recipe. I no wan dey hear firewood firewood biko. I no get firewood and I wan chop rice.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by PattyMike(m): 11:14pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

You parboil rice by putting in cold water (without washing), cook for few minutes and wash. If you have been doing otherwise without issues, then I think you have no problem. I have three rice brands and they all have different methods for cooking.

I eat Mama Gold dunno if i am supposed to parboil it. Both jollof and white rice I have never parboiled, mostly due to absence of culinary skills. But I'll try it out an note the difference, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 11:14pm On Jun 16, 2020
emperorblog21:
comma teach me how to make ewa agonyi and dodo with assorted ponmo

Why will you wanna eat all that? cheesy Check my topics, you will see easy process for ewa agonyi. Fry your dodo, cook your ponmo and throw into the sauce. That is all ba? cheesy

Bestvicky16:
I can't use basmati for party jollof either. Nice one dear, I'm sure going to try your method.

Why can’t you use basmati and what’s your previous method? smiley
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Why will you wanna eat all that? cheesy Check my topics, you will see easy process for ewa agonyi. Fry your dodo, cook your ponmo and throw into the sauce. That is all ba? cheesy

Why can’t you use basmati and what’s your previous method? smiley

cos it my fav
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Keketu(m): 11:36pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Pic 1: Ideal Pot.
Pic 2: Groundnut oil you should avoid, IF YOU CAN...
Pic 3: The rice on the left is Basmati, obviously more beautiful- but not fit for the job. So, I use the thai rice (on the right) for the cooking. However, if you have to use Basmati, do not parboil. Just soak and wash with hot water.
4: Wooden spoon.
wow see your hand shocked I love you kiss kiss
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jun 16, 2020
Very standard you try :
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by bigfrancis21: 12:34am On Jun 17, 2020
pocohantas:
I created a thread previously; How To Make Home Made Ewa Agonyin and despite the “criticism”, I am glad it helped some people. grin

For today, I would like to remind us that we have jollof rice and we have party jollof rice. I don’t need to explain the difference between the two, we all know as e dey go. I get bored with the former, never the latter. I have watched this being cooked a few times and they didn’t put anything special, none that I saw at least, but I never quite got it. Always ended up with sweet concoction rice.

It took me sometime to figure out the process and there has been no going back.

To get this, you have to be thorough and generous with ingredients. There is really no magic.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11740895_9fcdd30edb384100915fd777e8e92929_jpeg_jpegfd967c6fc5203a749e6281c586ea048c

Lol you don’t need all that. I make Nigerian party jollof rice in my own kitchen all the time with only basic ingredients. The key to getting the Nigeria party jollof rice is really simple. Really simple.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by duchaB(m): 12:52am On Jun 17, 2020
Mariangeles:

For just 200g?? shocked
We need to start churning our own butter ASAP!
Nigeria is just so productively lazy it's annoying!
Even with all the raw materials and potential at our disposal, we'd rather settle for the available than create and fill the need. What an annoying creatively lazy country!

Nne, u fit start to dey make the butter na..
Take the initiative, you are very creative.
we go back u up..
Call ma PlantaMaria...

Just don't be angry at Naija..
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 12:57am On Jun 17, 2020
PattyMike:

I eat Mama Gold dunno if i am supposed to parboil it. Both jollof and white rice I have never parboiled, mostly due to absence of culinary skills. But I'll try it out an note the difference, thanks.

Depends on the rice, I don’t really know Mama Gold. When you cook it, is it gummy? Short grained rice are higher in starch and sticky when cooked without parboiling or washing off starch properly.

bigfrancis21:

Lol you don’t need all that. I make Nigerian party jollof rice in my own kitchen all the time with only basic ingredients. The key to getting the Nigeria party jollof rice is really simple. Really simple.

Basic is indeed subjective. Not like there is oregano and parsley there. Lol
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ceeceeuwa: 4:17am On Jun 17, 2020
sassysure:

That's what I mean na cheesy
For me to get that Smokey flavour, my tomatoes are burnt, garlic and ginger, name them. They will cook and dry then burn. When u remove them from the oven, that Smokey flavour is already achieved 100% more. I don't use tomatoes paste. Assorted red pepper to give that classic red look.

Why I posted this is that there are many ways to the go to the stream. Many ways to get that smokines.
Also, one can use liquid smoke( sold in supermarkets). That's another way grin

At the end of the day, we are all looking for the Smokey favour cheesy.

Which one is "liquid smoke" again? Please can you post a pics?
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by phemmyfour: 4:55am On Jun 17, 2020
Poco hand is so fresh like agege bread
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by sisisioge: 5:32am On Jun 17, 2020
kings59:

Don't forget to lower the heat ooooo.

You lower the heat, it cooks better. If you high the heat, it burns without being tendered.

Reducing the heat would save you gas from finishing intime.

Thank you king cook... grin
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by justmenoni: 6:44am On Jun 17, 2020
Nice thread, even though my wife is a great cook... I think I cook pretty good party jolllof rice...

1) Blend my peppers into a paste: tomatoes, Cameroon pepper and ball peppers..

2) In a fry pan or pot: bleach your sunflower oil and add your tomatoes paste... Reduce the heat and once it's getting dry.. Kindly set aside.

3)Get another pot(size depends on the quantity of rice you're cooking).. Kindly pour the pepper paste, add salt, seasoning, bay leaves, powder ginger, herb mix(oregano, cardamon, rosmarin, thyme, majoran, dill sometimes these mixtures contains salt.. so be careful).. Black pepper, white pepper, sometimes I add suya/pepper soup spices..kindly add little quantities of these(also deepepnds on the quantity of your rice).

4) Kindly reduce heat and let the pepper paste plus herbs cook for around 10-15 minutes, pour in the paste from step 2, stir gently and leave to cook on low heat for around 3-5 minutes..

5) wash and pour in your rice(not parboiled) stir the rice to mix thoroughly with the pepper mixture, add water(my ratio is usually 4:1 or 4.5/5 to one depends on how well you like your rice.. I like mine been soft, if cooking one derica of rice then at this poi t kindly pour in 4 derica of water)... Stir again and turn heat to medium, cover your rice content with foil and with your pot lid... Leave to cook for about 25-30 minutes.

6) kindly slice onions, hard tomatoes in round shapes and add to your cooking rice, stir this with your rice contents, reduce the cooking to low heat and then allow to steam for 5 minutes...

Here you Go,, that's your party jolllof rice...

3 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 6:57am On Jun 17, 2020
I doubt one can cook real party jollof rice without firewood
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Liposure: 7:51am On Jun 17, 2020
Well done
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ume1000: 8:01am On Jun 17, 2020
pocohantas:

Ah sis. You get the point o.
Emphasis on NORMAL people. grin grin
why is it that anything you cook is always done with some hideous pot and a funny unhygienic environment
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Mariangeles(f): 8:06am On Jun 17, 2020
duchaB:

Nne, u fit start to dey make the butter na..
Take the initiative, you are very creative.
we go back u up..
Call ma PlantaMaria...

Just don't be angry at Naija..
grin grin grin
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 8:09am On Jun 17, 2020
ume1000:
why is it that anything you cook is always done with some hideous pot and a funny unhygienic environment

Lol. Lack of funds. Please buy me a set of pots.

Nooil:
I doubt one can cook real party jollof rice without firewood

Person wey never go another farm go say na im papa farm big pass. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ume1000: 8:15am On Jun 17, 2020
pocohantas:

Lol. Lack of funds. Please buy me a set of pots.

Person wey never go another farm go say na im papa farm big pass. cheesy
but you always criticize others
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 8:16am On Jun 17, 2020
ume1000:
but you always criticize others

Can put point me to where I did that? cheesy
Because you people just throw around words/accusations.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ume1000: 8:20am On Jun 17, 2020
pocohantas:

Can put point me to where I did that? cheesy
Because you people just throw around words/accusations.
on snake thread your words "why is it that anyone who cook snakes always does that with an hideous pot"
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 8:24am On Jun 17, 2020
ume1000:
on snake thread your words "why is it that anyone who cook snakes always does that with an hideous pot"

Which is a QUESTION.

Now can you show me the hideous pot and unhygienic environment in post? undecided
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ume1000: 8:35am On Jun 17, 2020
pocohantas:

Which is a QUESTION.

Now can you show me the hideous pot and unhygienic environment in post? undecided
am only criticizing cos you do same to others it's called KARMA
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 8:38am On Jun 17, 2020
ume1000:

Nah, you are only saying what doesn’t exist. Rest abeg!! grin
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 8:50am On Jun 17, 2020
ume1000:

Are you KARMA?

Enyi go get a job.
Karma ain't looking for no volunteers.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ffo(m): 9:23am On Jun 17, 2020
pocohantas:

I don’t get all the firewood talk. I never knew my aunty uses gas cooker till I went to help her for a job. I was shocked to see all the heavy duty gas cookers. With those very tall cylinders.

Recently I found out that Olaiya restaurant uses gas cookers. This is 2020. Sometimes I think it is a mental stuff. You know, you see something so much, you accept it is the only way and you are stuck on it. cheesy cheesy

Please come and take me there o. I am FFO.

you are not ffo, i am.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Collins4u1(m): 9:25am On Jun 17, 2020
E sweet?
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by nkemdi89(f): 9:37am On Jun 17, 2020
pocohantas:

I saw the need to parboil this rice because of its starch content. The foil is to trap all steam and ensure it cooks with minimal water and heat. I don’t think it conflicts anyway with the parboiling.
Does it?
What of soaking the rice in hot water for hours instead of par boiling? It makes the rice not to be sticky.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 9:46am On Jun 17, 2020
nkemdi89:

What of soaking the rice in hot water for hours instead of par boiling? It makes the rice not to be sticky.

Ah, sis, hours? I know the soaking method and I think that will be ideal too, even for large cooking. I didn’t soak for hrs/long when I used the rice first, maybe that is why I didn’t like the result. Decided to parboil.

ffo:

you are not ffo, i am.

Lol. We have every moniker here. Someone mentioned gravy and I saw a gravy viewing.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ume1000: 9:49am On Jun 17, 2020
DIVINEEVIDENCE:

Are you KARMA?

Enyi go get a job.
Karma ain't looking for no volunteers.
who come call u for the mata name Mr job giver

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Tomatoes And Onions I Bought For 300 And 350 Naira Respectively In Nnewi / Millet In Nigeria: / See The N50 Pepper And Onions I Bought In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.