Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,742,036 members, 6,503,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 September 2021 at 03:42 PM

Upgrading Nigeria's Police Force - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Upgrading Nigeria's Police Force (238 Views)

Drunk Nigeria Police Officer Lying On The Floor / "It’s An Offence To Go Out With A Pepper Spray" - Nigeria Police Force. / What You Really Need To Know About Police Force Around The World(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Upgrading Nigeria's Police Force by COMPAQ(m): 12:48pm On Jun 17, 2020
Of the many challenges Nigeria is facing, security is arguably the biggest one. from militancy and institutional kidnapping in the South South, roaming bandits and communal clashes in the middle belt, attacks on highways across the country, attacks on banks etc. Of recent we have seen how the security forces which were supposed to keep Nigerian's in their resident states in response to the COVID 19 pandemic turned around and started operating toll gates at the state borders, letting people through for a fee.

The Nigerian police is an embarrassment to this country and one of it's most corrupt institutions. And yet, absolutely nothing systemic is being done about it. This is my strategy for reforming the Nigerian Police Force. The strategy would have the following as it's key elements:

1. Training & Recruitment
2. Remuneration & Motivation
3. Equipment & Technology
4. Discipline

1. TRAINING: I would commence a huge renovation of the 3 existing Police Colleges and construct 3 new ones in the other zones. The reconstruction would cover new hostels for police cadets, kitchen and restaurant facilities, lecture rooms, huge gym and training facilities, indoor shooting range etc. I would set up bilateral agreement with American or British police to man the police colleges to provide modern police training. I would then recruit another 250k new police cadets with minimum educational qualification of OND. These cadets would then be sent to the 6 police colleges in batches over 12 months for intensive training. 10k new recruits per college means 60k new police recruits can be trained in 12 months and 240K in 4 years. As these recruits graduate, they will be posted out and some of the existing police will also be sent to the new police colleges. Those who are unable to pass the academic, physical, mental, physiological requirements of the new police force will be dismissed.

2. REMUNERATION & MOTIVATION: Truth be told, considering the kind of work the police do and the fact they may be asked to pay the ultimate price, what we pay the police is ridiculous. I would make police minimum wage N200k per month and insure EVERY field based police man with a N15mln policy against permanent disability and death. This would also cover medical in event of injury.

3. EQUIPMENT AND TECHNOLOGY: Every policeman graduating from the new police college will be given a standard issue police equipment - personal sidearm with 2 magazines of bullets, knife, personal rechargeable flashlight, a taser, 4 sets of quality uniform with 2 pairs of police boots, handcuffs, walkie talkie. These equipment will be expected to be on the person of every police officer once he is on duty. All this shouldn't cost much more than $2k per officer. Overall that's N50bln per year for 4 years. Not too much in my view, considering that we wanted to renovate National Assembly for N39bln. Police officers in mobile police squad going out on patrol will be issued bullet proof vests and semi automatic weapons from the police station armory, to be returned after every shift.

Existing weapons in the police will be audited and itemized. All poor quality weapons will be scuttled and dismantled. And new one purchased. Police weapons will be standardized across the country for easy interoperability.

All police vehicles nationally will be audited and added to the Police Asset register and properly assigned to each police station. Every vehicle will be fitted with communications and GPS equipment, so that the police control room in every state capital will know on a huge screen where every police vehicle is in response to distress calls. This will enable the closest vehicle to be dispatched to the scene. I would design the system such that a police team can respond to a distress call in any major city in 15 minutes max.

4. DISCIPLINE: I would create an Internal Affairs department led by a civilian, but supported by a mix of high ranking police officers and other civilians to respond to indiscretions by the police. This department would conduct spot checks on police officers in the field to ensure they maintain the proper equipment at all times, investigate complaints by the populace, audit police weapons and other equipment inventory, ensure the police are operating within established rules of engagement, operating procedures and standards of ethics.

Overall this would be a 4-5 years strategic improvement of the police. It shouldn't cost much more than N400bln over 4-5 years. Seems like a lot, but not too much for security. I would save that money by reducing the staff strength in our civil service and multiple duplicated agencies and parastatals. If anyone dismissed from civil service needs a job, let him or her go and join the police if they are young and qualified enough.

Re: Upgrading Nigeria's Police Force by Stephenomozzy(m): 12:51pm On Jun 17, 2020
This is a really good "restructuring plan";
But we've come to know that African leaders don't do anything unless when it serves their interest;
1. To line their pockets
2. To canvass for public sympathy
3. To cajole the electorates
4. To line their pockets some more.

(1) (Reply)

RE: Anambra Fathers Raped Their Daughters During Lockdown-- (STATING THE FACTS) / Police Parades 24 Suspects Who Defrauded Nigerians Of Covid19 Relief Funds. / Man Stabbed His Babe To Death And Then Committed Suicide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.