Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,580 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

What Is Happening To My Decking? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is Happening To My Decking? (55591 Views)

See What Is Happening In The Compound l Am Living In. / Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? / Estimated Cost Of Decking My House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by seanwilliam(m): 6:26am On Jun 19, 2020
obiekunie2:

oga this decking is a low grade highly economized decking. even the color of the wall is clear prove that where you are supposed to use 10 bags of cement, u chose to economize with 4 bags.

now you are calling on engineers and pretending like you dont know where the problem is from.

as it stand now, your building can collapse if it rains heavily for 24 hours.

when they say higher qualify builders to build your house - you will say no! baba kassim has been building houses for years - i want him to build this one for me he is cheaper and experienced. here lies the final result - LEAKY DECKING!

pls do us all a favour and go rent a decent and safe house for your family while your live in that your house by yourself alone so that if anything happens you will be the only one in the house.

yea i know i sound hash - u r free to get angry.

mehn, nigeria can be frustrating... u don study civil engineer for school but you no see work you kon dey jealous baba kasim grin

16 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by XXLMANDIGO: 6:26am On Jun 19, 2020
Or Arizona and Mali grin

Wickedfact:

You have nothing to say. If it is olosho, Yahoo, Naira Marley or Obaseki now, you would be shouting damn nigger like a stranded deportee.

May God give you your own house so that when those who have knowledge of buildings are talking, you too can open mouth.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by KingMicky3286: 6:27am On Jun 19, 2020
Oga Cement Enginner,

I want to learn work ooo. This your method will cause more hard than good.
CyberEBOLA:
Next time build your house with only cement.
Avoid using sand.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Samade7: 6:28am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

Oh no of cos am not angry.
I came here for responses and I don't mind in what manner it will come.
About the structure, it's about 14sqm and consumed exactly 14bags of cement... I can't remember the ratio exactly but it was a...

1: 3: 3 or 1: 3: 4 or 1: 2: 3 ( I remember I got the ratio on here on NL, accompanied with some good engineering sites)

The wall plastering may have being of poor quality but the under decking plastering was a ratio of 1 bag to 6 or 5 buckets.

Also untop the decking before the water tanks were placed is partially tiled.

Do you think we were still highly economical?

Don't mind him jare, try n check all the plumbing works in that building, there is error somewhere, which need to be corrected ASAP.

8 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Coldie(m): 6:28am On Jun 19, 2020
You didn't use much cement in the construction.

It seems u used 80percent sand and 20% cement
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by chrisnando: 6:28am On Jun 19, 2020
It may be as a result of those water pipes from the tank. I experienced same in my former apartment, turned out there was a leaky pipe.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by JAYUK(m): 6:28am On Jun 19, 2020
Please Oga,build a tank stand,remove the water tanks from the deck and have peace of mind

29 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by KingMicky3286: 6:29am On Jun 19, 2020
Innocent Contractor don enter express and motor don jam am ... hahahahaha
CyberEBOLA:
Lolz, just kidding.
Anyway, this usually happen due to inadequate cement.
Probably your contractor kept some cements to himself without your knowledge.

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by EgunMogaji2: 6:29am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

About the structure, it's about 14sqm and consumed exactly 14bags of cement... I can't remember the ratio exactly but it was a...

1: 3: 3 or 1: 3: 4 or 1: 2: 3 ( I remember I got the ratio on here on NL, accompanied with some good engineering sites)

The wall plastering may have being of poor quality but the under decking plastering was a ratio of 1 bag to 6 or 5 buckets.

I salute your maturity.

Remove the tank from above. It's never a good idea.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by lagosrd: 6:29am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

So you built the house yourself without consulting any engineer or architect. Oh NO! The cement mixing ratio may be good but there are still some more other things you need to put in place. Some more other precautionary measures you need to put in place. The is why they are professionals.
I keep wondering why people go to hospitals and consult doctors and still build houses for themselves. its dangerous .consult professionals and negotiate their fees.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by familier(m): 6:30am On Jun 19, 2020
I think the problem is from the tank surface/Area

get a tank holder n remove the tanks from the main structure, then re-plaster that surface and roof it also

this plan B is gonn b effective

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by cnonyechi(f): 6:30am On Jun 19, 2020
Water is getting in from somewhere, maybe you should ré plaster the walls and ceiling.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Mayng01(m): 6:30am On Jun 19, 2020
What you people call decking is known as a slab in engineering term, during the casting of the concrete work of that slab, a vibrator that consists of a poker was not used on the slab work thereby creating honey comb in the slab; it means there are voids or spaces for air or water to flow through & concrete work are meant to be tightly and closely packed. So each time rain falls or your tank overflows during pumping, there is seepage ( water flowing through the concrete) thereby causing moisture through the walls and slabs internally. Concrete are meant to hold water not to absorb it. Therefore, that fault is referred to as poor workmanship during construction.

63 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by meezynetwork(m): 6:30am On Jun 19, 2020
Simple matter
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Macbarba: 6:31am On Jun 19, 2020
Remove the tanks and the tiles. Buy Dr FixIt and do the floor screeding again with dr fixit water proof cement . After that that put your tiles and tanks back then you are good to go

4 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by gender123: 6:31am On Jun 19, 2020
Do the top of the decking have a perfect slope that can let water flow out of the building when ever the tank is filled

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Onyi22(f): 6:32am On Jun 19, 2020
H
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by loadedvibes: 6:32am On Jun 19, 2020
Oga you don't have a problem.. what you need is to drain the decking . Floor the decking now and slant the flooring to enable the water drain out.. your problem would be solved.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by akokaite(m): 6:33am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Hi NLanders and Engineers.
Good evening.
this structure was built in December 2019.
I noticed the room is always moisty,
When the room windows and door is shut... The glass sweat from inside.
Now it's the roofing(decking), just this part of the decking.
The room is well ventilated but since no occupant the windows and doors are always shut.

Above the decking is completely tiled and two brand new water tanks are sitting untop.

What could this imply?

Here is likely problem you re facing.

"two brand new water tanks are sitting untop"

Did you waterproof the floor with adequate waterproofing material?

Is the floor well supervised during applications of waterproof material?

If NO, your slab has failed!

For more info email: forecastpartner@gmail.com

Thnks

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by CyberEBOLA(m): 6:34am On Jun 19, 2020
KingMicky3286:
Innocent Contractor don enter express and motor don jam am ... hahahahaha
Hhahahahaha

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by beelyjay45(m): 6:35am On Jun 19, 2020
YOU NEED TO CARRY OUT A TEST ON THE SLAB STRUCTURE TO KNOW THE REAL PROBLEM
AND ALSO I HOPE YOU USED ENOUGH REINFORCEMENT FOR THE SLAB TO BE ABLE TO CARRY THE DEAD WEIGHT YOU PUT ON IT
THE MOSIT COULD BE FROM THE EXCESS WATER WHICH POURS ON THE SLAB CONSISTENTLY
DID YOU USE FELT ON YOUR SLAB TO PREVENT THE SLAB FROM SOAKING WATER THAT MIGHT BE THE CAUSE OF MOISTURE INSIDE
FOR FURTHER CONSULTATION DM ME cool

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Perfecttouchade: 6:35am On Jun 19, 2020
Is the signs coming from the decking alone? If its the decking alone where u have your water tank placed, u need to check if it's properly tiled with no room for leakage..and if the walls below are also bringing signs like that, check the plumbing works properly... everyone can check out our Aluminium service.

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by xreal: 6:36am On Jun 19, 2020
XXLMANDIGO:
^^^ @Slawomir Please don't Damn someone's else sweat abeg... undecided

He doesn't even know the meaning of what he is typing.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by captainjay(m): 6:36am On Jun 19, 2020
Op. I am not sure you engage an engineer.this is a building that will last for 40-50yrs. Is the slab designed by structural engineer to carry the weight of the water tank? I can't see any beam under the slab which is wrong. don't let a mason who picked his experience on the road dictate technical things to you, seek the advice of qualified engineer .
The below list are What might have caused the dampness
1. The slope of the floor is not enough , this will cause water retention at the centre of the slab. Water will surely find it way through any concrete slab if the slope to the discharge pipe is not adequate.
2. The engineer should have advised you to lay polythene (water proof) which will cover the area of the slab before tiling the floor.
3. The engineer should have advised you to use water repellant chemical or cement mixed with ordinary Portland cement for wall plastering and floor tiles.
4. You can also cover the slab area with bituminous felt if you can bear the cost.
5. When you have done the 1-3 above ,pour enough water and put your discharge pipe to where the water gather at the wall.

And for the remaining part you don't have water tank make sure you cover it with roof, water will still find it way in the future.

Take care of what I listed above and thank me later.

7 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by innie77(m): 6:36am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Hi NLanders and Engineers.
Good evening.
this structure was built in December 2019.
I noticed the room is always moisty,
When the room windows and door is shut... The glass sweat from inside.
Now it's the roofing(decking), just this part of the decking.
The room is well ventilated but since no occupant the windows and doors are always shut.

Above the decking is completely tiled and two brand new water tanks are sitting untop.

What could this imply?

Good morning from the pictures am seeing it shows that there's a broken water pipw somewhere if not it either it is housing your water tank or something, cos there's seepage into the slab. Call your plumber to check the pipes and if its your water tank it should be relocated ie a scaffold should be erected for your water tank.

Once these 2 steps are taken allow the DECK to dry naturally, it may take about 4weeks plus to have a properly dry deck and you're sorted.

All the Best

2 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by jogsman01(m): 6:36am On Jun 19, 2020
Is the slab designed for the load it's carrying? I guess a bricklayer gave you the slab design and BOQ

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by XXLMANDIGO: 6:37am On Jun 19, 2020
cheesy

xreal:

He doesn't even know the meaning of what he is typing.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by irumanle(m): 6:38am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

It's ok fam.
We are also looking at the possibility of excess heat because like I said before, the room is damped looking and the window glass sweat from the inside.
Did you make provision for damp proof membrane before casting the oversight concrete in foundation? If you didn't, you will notice rising moisture from the bottom of the walls as a result of capillary action.

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by chrisxxx(m): 6:38am On Jun 19, 2020
Mayng01:
What you people call decking is known as a slab in engineering term, during the casting of the concrete work of that slab, a vibrator that consists of a poker was not used on the slab work thereby creating honey comb in the slab; it means there are voids or spaces for air or water to flow through & concrete work are meant to be tightly and closely packed. So each time rain falls or your tank overflows during pumping, there is seepage ( water flowing through the concrete) thereby causing moisture through the walls and slabs internally. Concrete are meant to hold water not to absorb it. Therefore, that fault is referred to as poor workmanship during construction.
You have spoken well I have same problem. What is the solution?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Aftermath Of Onitsha Fuel Tanker Fire, As Traders Count Losses (Photos) / How Many 9" Blocks Are Required To Fence A 60ft By 120 Ft Plot? / What Is The Weirdest Rule A Landlady/Landlord Has Ever Given You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.