Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,275 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

What Is Happening To My Decking? - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is Happening To My Decking? (55604 Views)

See What Is Happening In The Compound l Am Living In. / Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? / Estimated Cost Of Decking My House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by foolbuster: 9:39am On Jun 19, 2020
michaelponle:
I have few questions to ask, if you can contact me privately no charges. I experienced it at one of the properties I am managing.

You just want to rip him off. Share whatever you wanna share here in public so it can be scrutinized and proven that you know your onions. Then the op will be the one running after you.

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by familier(m): 9:39am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

You think the tanks are leaking?

The remnants from water drops or that from the filled tank might sink into the concrete area that is the Decking
( it doesn't drain properly so it now shrinks into the Concrete
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by captainjay(m): 9:44am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

The beams are internal.
. There is no beam. It is wrong to introduce internal beam for the slab without beam on the wall.it is the wall beam that will carry the internal beam then transfer the load to the column.check the picture again,Look at the thickness of the slab on the wall which is 125mm instead of 450mm including the beam.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by emerged01(m): 9:44am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

This is exactly what I believe is happening even though I am open to more suggestions.
The roof by the side of the tanks makes the water in the tank continually hot on a sunny day and it happens that is same position were the water droplets are only found in the decking below.
This is sweat droplets.
The window glasses sweat too from the inside.
This is because the room is completely locked because no occupant yet.
The water does not drop and the surface area is completely hard.
My cocern now is how to reduce the heat and radiation from the aluminium roof to that area.
I have suggested to paint that part of the roof white.

So it was about to rain heavily yesterday... I wiped the droplets and open the windows and door for ventilation... It later rained cats and dogs and I went to see that area and..... Absolutely dry as I had cleaned it.

This is not leakage... It's heat reaction
You just have to keep your window open a little for awhile to see if the situation will reoccur. If you are planning on repainting,you can try gloss paint for the decking.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by King44(m): 9:47am On Jun 19, 2020
Mayng01:
What you people call decking is known as a slab in engineering term, during the casting of the concrete work of that slab, a vibrator that consists of a poker was not used on the slab work thereby creating honey comb in the slab; it means there are voids or spaces for air or water to flow through & concrete work are meant to be tightly and closely packed. So each time rain falls or your tank overflows during pumping, there is seepage ( water flowing through the concrete) thereby causing moisture through the walls and slabs internally. Concrete are meant to hold water not to absorb it. Therefore, that fault is referred to as poor workmanship during construction.
Gbam!! What is the solution
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by jikins(m): 9:48am On Jun 19, 2020
danchuzzy:

Lol @ the bolded. Why shouldn't they be there and how did you come to this conclusion?

I believe if you read through this thread, you will get an answer to your question.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by tonididdy(m): 9:50am On Jun 19, 2020
Kylekent59:

I just hope that beam was done well. Sometimes engineers use fake metal rods...

Since there are 5 beams as you said, then ok.
Fake metal rods... Where is that sold?
16 and 12mm of rods bought by myself was used.

What is happening is as a result of sun radiation and heat. The humidity level in the room is excessive because it has an aluminum roofing next to it constantly dishing it wicked sun vibes.

This is what is causing water drops that don't actually fall from the roof, they just hang there.

It's also good to note this droplets are not found underneath the tank area... No not at all.

I cleaned the drops under the decking and allow more ventilation into the room. It's being two days of rainfall now and not a single drop has resurfaced.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by jikins(m): 9:50am On Jun 19, 2020
GODPUNISHUNA:

You have given some valid points and no arguments there I see your view point, but I still insist those with the technical know how give their own professional opinions first before others. I could have as well given my own opinions since I have built my own house from my personal experience but at this point let the experts (building- civil engineers, surveyors et al) give their professional opinions. Cheers and have a lovely day cool

You too bro
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 19, 2020
Kaybaba5:
I suggest u relocate the tanks first. And let's observe what to do again

Exactly
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by tonididdy(m): 9:57am On Jun 19, 2020
emonkey:

You need to waterproof an open decking. No, tiling won't do it, water will still seep through the joints in the tiles. Try bitumen-based treatments.
Secondly, the decking was probably not designed to carry a water tank, not to talk of two. What is the capacity of the tanks? How thick is the decking?
Depending on these I would advise you to relocate the water tanks. The good thing is that you don't yet have any visible cracks or spalling underneath.
I am an engineer by the way.
Hi engineer
Thanks for your professional contribution.
This structure was designed specifically for this purpose (to bear tanks overhead).

This is a sketch of the reinforcement done.
The tank area is the kitchen and toilet area underneath respectively.
It measures 5x12ft
5 internal beams where passed side by side, with two supporting walls underneath also.
(The dotted area is the beams with another long beam crossing from end to end of the entire structure.)

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Kylekent59: 9:59am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

Fake metal rods... Where is that sold?
16 and 12mm of rods bought by myself was used.

What is happening is as a result of sun radiation and heat. The humidity level in the room is excessive because it has an aluminum roofing next to it constantly dishing it wicked sun vibes.

This is what is causing water drops that don't actually fall from the roof, they just hang there.

It's also good to note this droplets are not found underneath the tank area... No not at all.

I cleaned the drops under the decking and allow more ventilation into the room. It's being two days of rainfall now and not a single drop has resurfaced.

Aboki dem... They go to collapsed buildings in search for rod. They make it look real again and sell to people selling rod. Customers like you comes and buy without knowing...

Hope you get me
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by tonididdy(m): 10:02am On Jun 19, 2020
Kylekent59:

Aboki dem... They go to collapsed buildings in search for rod. They make it look real again and sell to people selling rod. Customers like you comes and buy without knowing...

Hope you get me
Oh... Well there must be some defects to that effect on the said aboki rods.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Babysheart(f): 10:04am On Jun 19, 2020
This is a simple problem. And it's not going away soon. Your problem is from the tank above and the water it spills when it gets filled. This water soaks through the partial tiling you did and because marbles and ceramics doesn't absolve water, the water will look for where to go to... And it's one way down. Beneath your decking. To fix it, you have to remove the tanks and use waterproof materials without leaks underneath... Then create a good and wide run off point. I used tar for mine after I started having the same issues.

If you can't afford tar, look for very good grade tarpaulin and use instead.

I hope this helps.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Kylekent59: 10:05am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

Oh... Well there must be some defects to that effect on the said aboki rods.

You will need to climb up that bungalow, check if there is any side that had been totalled. patch it, and also trace the water movement when the tank gets filled and water pours away ...
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by UnusualJhay(m): 10:07am On Jun 19, 2020
your house is about to cave in, you came to Nairaland to ask me, me wey no sabi anything undecided
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by tonididdy(m): 10:07am On Jun 19, 2020
Kylekent59:

You will need to climb up that bungalow, check if there is any side that had been totalled. patch it, and also trace the water movement when the tank gets filled and water pours away ...
Yes sir I will.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by tonididdy(m): 10:08am On Jun 19, 2020
UnusualJhay:
your house is about to cave in, you came to Nairaland to ask me, me wey no sabi anything undecided

The house Isnt about to cave in, cave man.
You should be in the food section.
Adieos

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by tonididdy(m): 10:09am On Jun 19, 2020
Babysheart:
This is a simple problem. And it's not going away soon. Your problem is from the tank above and the water it spills when it gets filled. This water soaks through the partial tiling you did and because marbles and ceramics doesn't absolve water, the water will look for where to go to... And it's one way down. Beneath your decking. To fix it, you have to remove the tanks and use waterproof materials without leaks underneath... Then create a good and wide run off point. I used tar for mine after I started having the same issues.

If you can't afford tar, look for very good grade tarpaulin and use instead.

I hope this helps.
Thanks lady.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by emonkey(m): 10:12am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

Hi engineer
Thanks for your professional contribution.
This structure was designed specifically for this purpose (to bear tanks overhead).

This is a sketch of the reinforcement done.
The tank area is the kitchen and toilet area underneath respectively.
It measures 5x12ft
5 internal beams where passed side by side, with two supporting walls underneath also.
(The dotted area is the beams with another long beam crossing from end to end of the entire structure.)
Good. I suggest you temporarily remove the water tanks and thoroughly waterproof the top of the slab with bitumen treatment before putting back the tanks. Like I said the good thing is the concrete is not cracked underneath which could be an indication of some failure.
I have seen this problem with my grandfather's 60-year-old house and it is still standing. The tank, in this case, had to be removed because the slab was not designed for that purpose and so there were cracks underneath which eventually caused spalling due to damage of the reinforcement by water seepage from the top. Problem solved by waterproofing. If you are certain your slab was designed for bearing the water tanks, don't worry, just waterproof and you should be okay. If you notice cracks either in the slab or the walls though, remove the water tanks immediately.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Ade345(m): 10:12am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Hi NLanders and Engineers.
Good evening.

This structure was built in December 2019.
I noticed the room is always moisty.
When the room windows and door is shut... The glass sweat from inside.

Now it's the roofing(decking), just this part of the decking.

The room is well ventilated but since no occupant the windows and doors are always shut.

Above the decking is completely tiled and two brand new water tanks are sitting untop.

What could this imply?

The solution that would give you rest of mind, and no future reoccurrence of the same issue is to mount a scaffold separately to carry the water tanks. After this, create a roofing for your bungalow. This would cost some money, but it should give you a permanent solution.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by tonididdy(m): 10:15am On Jun 19, 2020
Ade345:

The solution that would give you rest of mind, and no future reoccurrence of the same issue is to mount a scaffold separately to carry the water tanks. After this, create a roofing for your bungalow. This would cost some money, but it should give you a permanent solution.
Many much years later.
This structure was erected specifically for this purpose and that it must exercise.

Thanks anyway.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by crownspencer(m): 10:15am On Jun 19, 2020
The problem is humidity, probably caused by bad ventilation or water penetrate the decking from the water tanks.

Ensure good ventilation in the room or get dehumidifier if there is no water penetrating into the decking.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by belente(m): 10:16am On Jun 19, 2020
@ op those things you see do happens at decking but with time. The course and solutions are: the tank and blocks put ontop the decking as it rains, water is not easily drain die to above reasons.what you should do is zink the house that's the long term solution. Or if you don't have money, buy fairly used zink put ontop the decking except onthe tank. Its môre durable than other options
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by tonididdy(m): 10:17am On Jun 19, 2020
emonkey:

Good. I suggest you temporarily remove the water tanks and thoroughly waterproof the top of the slab with bitumen treatment before putting back the tanks. Like I said the good thing is the concrete is not cracked underneath which could be an indication of some failure.
I have seen this problem with my grandfather's 60-year-old house and it is still standing. The tank, in this case, had to be removed because the slab was not designed for that purpose and so there were cracks underneath which eventually caused spalling due to damage of the reinforcement by water seepage from the top. Problem solved by waterproofing. If you are certain your slab was designed for bearing the water tanks, don't worry, just waterproof and you should be okay. If you notice cracks either in the slab or the walls though, remove the water tanks immediately.

Yes I will.
What waterproofing agents do your prescribe?
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Kylekent59: 10:18am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

Yes sir I will.

I think a solution has come. My friend who is a plumber says that you should check that hole pipe is inserted for easy movement of water to the ground preventing it from touching the building. There must be a small tiny hole by which water sieve in through the block which resulted to that.

That thing way be like Dick, when person bring out him long penis dey urinate.... Let me show some pictures
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by tonididdy(m): 10:18am On Jun 19, 2020
crownspencer:
The problem is humidity, probably caused by bad ventilation or water penetrate the decking from the water tanks.

Ensure good ventilation in the room or get dehumidifier if there is no water penetrating into the decking.
Dehumidifier... Got it.
Thank
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

I love this thanks and will be done ASAP but your ratio is this standard?

I didn't even use 12 buckets of sand whatsoever for my plastering

Practically on site we have different measuring method

Manually we can use : wheel barrow, head pan or buckets

I prefer the bucket .. note : I use that ratio there because it's for correctional purpose ... you can remove the tiles and scrape the top plastering too and do the same ontop before laying another tiles if your pocket permits

You dont have to remove the thank ..these are normal problems pple with overhead tanks face... it is best treated from initial construction

Last note : we have done this correctional measures on buildings and it works just fine
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by emmabest2000(m): 10:21am On Jun 19, 2020

@op I am not trying to derail your thread but am curious after seeing the photo you posted and also based on what I have observed around.

Aren't those windows too small?

I have noticed that Nigerians love building houses with small windows and little concern about air flow.

Please engineers in house any specific reason for this?

Here in the west most houses and apartments have bigger windows and they are positioned for maximum airflow. If there is any clime that should request for smaller windows it should colder climate where most of the year they require heating to live comfortably.

Or is there something I am missing?
Bigger windows attracts burglars grin
If you know you know

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by tonididdy(m): 10:21am On Jun 19, 2020
Kylekent59:

I think a solution has come. My friend who is a plumber says that you should check that hole pipe is inserted for easy movement of water to the ground preventing it from touching the building. There must be a small tiny hole by which water sieve in through the block which resulted to that.

That thing way be like Dick, when person bring out him long penis dey urinate.... Let me show some pictures
Thanks so much for going the extra mile.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by tonididdy(m): 10:22am On Jun 19, 2020
godblessenugu042:

Practically on site we have different measuring method

Manually we can use : wheel barrow, head pan or buckets

I prefer the bucket .. note : I use that ratio there because it's for correctional purpose ... you can remove the tiles and scrape the top plastering too and do the same ontop before laying another tiles if your pocket permits

You dont have to remove the thank ..these are normal problems pple with overhead tanks face... it is best treated from initial construction

Last note : we have done this correctional measures on buildings and it works just fine
Thanks very much
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Kylekent59: 10:23am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Thanks so much for going the extra mile.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Aftermath Of Onitsha Fuel Tanker Fire, As Traders Count Losses (Photos) / How Many 9" Blocks Are Required To Fence A 60ft By 120 Ft Plot? / What Is The Weirdest Rule A Landlady/Landlord Has Ever Given You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.