Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,425 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:45 AM

FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways (21297 Views)

Senate Summons Hameed Ali Over Plan To Concession N3tn Revenue Collection / Aviation Ministry Gets ICRC Approval To Concession Four Airports / FG To Concession 6 Hydro Power Generation Assets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by bluke(m): 6:50am On Jun 18, 2020
baby124:

NEPA needs competition. The only issue is the electricity industry is capital intensive

na lie,
magical industry, look more, see less.
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by Enugupikin: 6:52am On Jun 18, 2020
AKswift:

Bros, this initiative is sound! Even if you cut/block government wastage, we still need private capital to drive public infrastructures in Nigeria. Here in the US, Federal highways are tolled and the yield is used to maintain the facilities.

One good thing about this initiative is its private administrative handle, which will ensure that the resource is well utilized, unlike when the FG was managing toll gates before OBJ demolished those corrupt spots that failed to remit the appropriate amount to the FG.
And you think the time is right for them to remit the appropriate amount? This is Nigeria bro, nothing works here..it's a failed state
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by Cantonese: 6:56am On Jun 18, 2020
COMPAQ:

Roads in Nigeria have never been concessioned. What we had before were toll booths managed by government. And of course same corruption everywhere in Nigeria happened to it. Staff were chopping the money and barely remitting anything to government. Besides there was no framework that connected the revenues from the toll booths to raod repairs.

All revenues still went to consolidated revenue fund for appropriation. And then what was appropriated to road maintenance whacked again.

The military in the 80s introduced tolling booths on two highways namely Lagos - Ibadan and Onitsha - Enugu. There was a framework established connecting revenues to road repairs. Infact that was the purpose of establishing the tolling booths. The problem was that the money realised was instantly embezzled. As observed by you too staff of the federal ministry of works who were originally assigned there made the tolling plazas their private businesses with forged receipts, non issuance of receipts but receiving payments, etc. The roads were concessioned thereafter but the story of corruption by the investors remained the same until government pulled out. It became an issue of litigation.

We have a major problem in this country and it is corruption. Privatization helps the economy and the people but in our country it is not the same. Daily times newspaper is an example. We were lucky with telecoms. The reason why power is a problem in this country is simply that ECN, NEPA, PHCN, as it was called at different times, was a veritable source of looting for government officials. When it was broken up into Gencos and Discos, what changed? Nothing. Those who ran NEPA aground took over in the name of privatization, turned around to obtain billions from the FG and still maintain status quo. Government officials see privatization as means of enriching themselves while agreements are going on and making money when all things are set in place.

With all the taxation where are the jobs? This country needs a Messiah.
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by hakeem4(m): 7:00am On Jun 18, 2020
obailala:
Good idea! If I were the president of this country, everything would be privatised; from roads to railways, trains, airports, universities and even some govt hospitals.
what type of capitalist nation do you want to build ?
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by chyket(m): 7:01am On Jun 18, 2020
I fully support this!! I will rather have an excellent road network where I will drive safely and in comfort and pay for toll gate than to have a dilapidated death traps that is free.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by GeorgeTheCoder: 7:06am On Jun 18, 2020
It took this man 5 years to come up with this mediocre idea ?
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by Sotland: 7:11am On Jun 18, 2020
Fashola and Toll gates are 5 & 6.. Planning to reintroduce tollgate to expliot commuters.. May God help us
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by celeiyke: 7:19am On Jun 18, 2020
mancanoe:
But Yoruba is tactically excluded from this road usage tax while Igbo is tactically the highest payer of this road tax

You are wise
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by egoldi01: 7:20am On Jun 18, 2020
edoairways:

PDP mess up in that aspect

And APC have not cleared the mess and have not done better!

1 Like

Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by bojobulege: 7:28am On Jun 18, 2020
mancanoe:
But Yoruba is tactically excluded from this road usage tax while Igbo is tactically the highest payer of this road tax
Sagamu is in Yorubaland and so is Ilorin. An education is a terrible thing to waste.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by sisisioge: 7:29am On Jun 18, 2020
Meaning we will start paying toll like Lekki niyen. So all the money they've been contracting out to these roads will be wasted? I know they were fixing Lokoja to Abuja road for a long time...that money nko?

They were fixing Sagamu to Benin....are we going to locate the money back from the contractors? Hmmm.
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by adonaimart(m): 7:35am On Jun 18, 2020
ijustdey:

https://punchng.com/fg-to-concession-sagamu-benin-nine-other-expressways/
Very good development concerning road management and maintenance in Nigeria. But dis plan has been suggested way back but politics, greed and legal issues have thwarted dis kind of projects to come to light. I pray dis time, d federal govt put aside petty politics and think more about how d projects will add more value to d generality of Nigerians.
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by Bekool(m): 7:37am On Jun 18, 2020
Not a bad idea the federal govt have clearly shown over the years their incapacity to handle major national assets due to massive corruption and nepotism in the system. The only problem here will be the hike in transport fares between states.
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by winterfell007(m): 7:38am On Jun 18, 2020
mancanoe:

Guy please will you shut up, not everything must seen with tribalism, you better reason straight. Before you term me 'Afonja' I'm igbo too...
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by osomegbe(m): 7:40am On Jun 18, 2020
obailala:
Good idea! If I were the president of this country, everything would be privatised; from roads to railways, trains, airports, universities and even some govt hospitals.
You forgot to mention the government. It also needs privatisation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by vertueptime: 7:45am On Jun 18, 2020
I would agree to this if we were no borrowing from our future,the govmnts that built the roads before nko, these people ehn

ijustdey:

https://punchng.com/fg-to-concession-sagamu-benin-nine-other-expressways/
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by 989900: 7:59am On Jun 18, 2020
Same plan we've been presenting here on Nairaland since 2014, una day just dey break.
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by Nobody: 8:07am On Jun 18, 2020
COMPAQ:

Tell me exactly what government is funding outside of Transmission Company of Nigeria, which remains with government. The generation companies and distribution companies are in private hands and government does not pay for any maintenance. Try and be better informed about the workings of the power sector.

As for why the owners aren't doing it, how can they invest if a unit of electricity costs N35 and government fixes electricity price at N27?? Does that make sense in any sector in your brain?

You are either a business man or you have a job. If your have a job, the only reason why you are paid a salary is because your MD ensures that the company sells above its cost and makes a profit.

If your are a business man, you follow the same principle, other wise no point being in business.

Govt has been funding discos since 2016 via CBN, its not only tcn that gets funding, how will you know these, have worked in any of the discos before?
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by 989900: 8:08am On Jun 18, 2020
osomegbe:

You forgot to mention the government. It also needs privatisation.

It is already privatised.
And we're all pawns in their little game theory/zero-sum charade.
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by Nobody: 8:13am On Jun 18, 2020
Travellers from Lagos to the East will be taxed on the Ore/Sagamu, Benin/Asaba, 2nd Niger Bridge, Onitsha/Owerri/Aba.
Enugu/Port Harcourt too.

The length of all these roads is not even up to a quarter of the length of northern roads.

South EastErnest Nigeria gets the least attention from the government yet gets the heaviest of taxes and levies.

We don't die but we multiply.
Hmmmmm.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by InvertedHammer: 8:17am On Jun 18, 2020
/
Total scam alert!

Abuja-Akwanga (Middle Belt)
Kaduna-Kano (North)
Kano-Maiduguri(North)

Every other toll road there will affect Igbo and SS people the most.
From Abuja to Maiduguri (very far by the way) pays 2 toll fares or zero if they do FCT-Kaduna-Maiduguri.
From Abuja to PH will be 3 or 4 toll fares. Besides, the road like Benin-Sagamu is the anticipated moneymaker and that's why it is highlighted in the caption.

How come there is no toll from Abuja - Kaduna?

/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by Laboni: 8:22am On Jun 18, 2020
Let them add Enugu-Awka-Onitsha abeg
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by dagreat4(f): 8:24am On Jun 18, 2020
This is a welcome development that is long overdue.For those crying higher taxes and inflation,have u tot of the lives this project will save? What of the wear and tear of your vehicles and the time to b saved when road are good.This will definitely make farmers smile as they are sure to get better value for their goods and will have less losses as per accidents that destroy their goods.
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by Laboni: 8:26am On Jun 18, 2020
InvertedHammer:
/
Total scam alert!

Abuja-Akwanga (Middle Belt)
Kaduna-Kano (North)
Kano-Maiduguri(North)

Every other toll road there will affect Igbo and SS people the most.
From Abuja to Maiduguri (very far by the way) pays 2 toll fares or zero if they do FCT-Kaduna-Maiduguri.
From Abuja to PH will be 3 or 4 toll fares. Besides, the road like Benin-Sagamu is the anticipated moneymaker and that's why it is highlighted in the caption.

How come there is no toll from Abuja - Kaduna?

/
How is the toll affecting SE and SS? The idea is just for good road network. I think Abuja-Kaduna was excluded for now because of insecurity. They will still add more in the 2nd phase, who knows. They should also add Enugu-Awka-Onitsha too. The road was nothing to write home about the last time I passed there.
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by Ten06(m): 8:27am On Jun 18, 2020
So now what is the faith of the Warri/PH axis of the east-west road and the Benin Warri road?
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by insecticide: 8:28am On Jun 18, 2020
Maxymilliano:
But the audio concession of the Lagos - Abeokuta express road to the Lagos and Ogun State government is yet to see the light of day.

The road have never been this bad, from Tollgate in Ota, down to Ajegunle, Amje, Moshalashi, Kola, Adura , Salolo , Meiran to Obadeyi is like driving through a war ravaged highway.

Motorists using the road have encountered only misery, devastation and utter neglect. The road is currently not fit for even a country at war.

You're not lying bro... I almost shed tears the last i traveled through that route. DAMN!!
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by Laboni: 8:29am On Jun 18, 2020
dagreat4:
This is a welcome development that is long overdue.For those crying higher taxes and inflation,have u tot of the lives this project will save? What of the wear and tear of your vehicles and the time to b saved when road are good.This will definitely make farmers smile as they are sure to get better value for their goods and will have less losses as per accidents that destroy their goods.
Exactly, as long as we have smooth, and potholes free road, it’s a very good idea. The only thing is that FG should be very serious in regulation because I know naija things dey always be.
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by hush15: 8:29am On Jun 18, 2020
obailala:
If it has viable economic value, YES!

Govt will mainly be involved in regulation.

Project that he will allocate to himself and some cronies at bourdillon like they did with all toll gates in Lagos. Which one benefitted lagosians or you don't realise that if he gives concession at certain distances, you will pay toll after few distances till you get to your destination! That's a rip off, in case you don't know especially when we already paid all forms of road tax ranging from vehicle license to the one embedded in when we buy fuel. Interstate transport becomes more expensive and I promise you, forget all those trash he said, there will be no improvement on the road, just be extorting the already struggling citizens, not to mention the impact on goods and services. This extortion just to make a few richer cos they will start collecting toll before any road transformation .
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by InvertedHammer: 8:34am On Jun 18, 2020
Laboni:
How is the toll affecting SE and SS? The idea is just for good road network. I think Abuja-Kaduna was excluded for now because of insecurity. They will still add more in the 2nd phase, who knows. They should also add Enugu-Awka-Onitsha too. The road was nothing to write home about the last time I passed there.
/
They told you that it was excluded because of insecurity? Which road is secure? You already know there will be 2nd phase even when they didn't mention it? Am I surprised? No. Hitler, Abacha, Idi Amin had people who cheered their bad policies. I am surprised that all of a sudden some of you are starting to believe APC government that have never fulfilled a single promise since they started. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. FGN is never honest.
/

1 Like

Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by Yampotatocarrot(m): 8:35am On Jun 18, 2020
SmartPolician:

Power is divided into 3 major segments in Nigeria: Generation, Transmission and Distribution. They only privatized Distribution. If we don't have enough power to generate, there's nothing the other 2 segments can do.

This first point isn't exactly correct. If you've been following the power saga, you'll know that although we have to increase generation, the distribution companies have wholly refused to distribute all that is generated, and they are the private entities

So even with the little we are generating, they are refusing to distribute, that's the current bone of contention (You can read this up). I don't know how iron-clad their agreement is, but I believe the present administration should bring in more distributors, if possible make it just 3 states per distributor, maybe, just maybe that'll make the present ones to sit up.

In all the inefficiencies of the Jonathan administration, I believe the power saga is a section where he made a fool of himself. The gods shouldn't allow him sleep well at night because of that single decision he took out of sheer greed (don't want to say stupidity)
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by COMPAQ(m): 8:36am On Jun 18, 2020
quentin06:

Govt has been funding discos since 2016 via CBN, its not only tcn that gets funding, how will you know these, have worked in any of the discos before?

That is totally not true. It's amazing how so much gist goes on in this country based on whatsapp posts and beer parlour gist. And people just believe it as fact.

It's important you put the information out there in the proper context. When the privatization was done, to ensure liquidity in the system there were a number of guarantees put in place to ensure that discos/genco's get cash for energy supplied. If at all CBN paid money to DISCOS, it was probably one of 3 things:

1. Remember FG still holds shares in the DISCO's. If I recall FG didn't divest 100%. So therefore, if the DISCO is increasing capital base for eg, FG is obligated to pay it's share.
2. During the privatization, there were a number of guarantees put in place for GENCO's and DISCO's to ensure that they got their cash for energy supplied. CBN could very well have been effecting those guarantees and paying bulk for electricity supplied.
3. Govt agencies and parastatals as you should know are the biggest electricity debtors in this country. it could very well be that CBN was paying outstanding debt to DISCO's on behalf of govt.

None of these 3 amount to FG still contributing to run DISCO's as you have put it. Often times the newspapers and social media doesn't get headlines right. What most people will see is the headline - "CBN pays N50bln to EKEDC". However, most people don't read the details of the story to understand the context. Besides what you typically still hear Fasola talking about when he was Minister of Power was installation of substations and injection stations, which are all still part of TRANSMISSION.

Let's learn to really understand the subject matter before making posts based on assumed headlines.
Re: FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways by amosrich(m): 8:39am On Jun 18, 2020
I hope the rest points at the high eays will provide security as planned and not become den for highway robbers...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

DSS Uncovers Plot To Destabilize North-Central Nigeria / Reps To Govs: Bulletproof Cars Won’t Save You From Wrath Of Uneducated Children / Tinubu appoints CEOs For Major Health Agencies: NAFDAC, NCDC, others affected

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.