Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,039 members, 7,807,122 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:52 AM

Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech (31424 Views)

Patience Jonathan's Alleged Campaign Speech At PDP Rally In Rivers / Photos Of Patience Jonathan Billion Naira Hotel In Yenegoa / Patience Jonathan Yet To Stabilise - Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by tpiah2: 6:42pm On Jan 31, 2011
she's already at basic level- just needs a little polishing up.

anyone without a hearing problem should be able to understand that particular video.

like many of our teachers didnt sound the same way?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by olaolabiy: 6:52pm On Jan 31, 2011
tpiah*:

she's already at basic level- just needs a little polishing up.

anyone without a hearing problem should be able to understand that particular video.

like many of our teachers didnt sound the same way?

You are right jare.

She did OK jare.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 6:55pm On Jan 31, 2011
kosoro:

Well, to you, she may not be communicating. To me, she does - clearly. Case closed.

Case closed for you, did I say it was closed for me, cry cry cry
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by kosoro: 6:58pm On Jan 31, 2011
manny4life:

Case closed for you, did I say it was closed for me, cry cry cry

Rora e man yi! You don't understand case closed? i mean "kosoro".
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Natasha2(f): 7:16pm On Jan 31, 2011
@cap 28 why are you digressing are we talking about names? what the heck is wrong if i have a name of Russian origin? you see why I called you a big fool tongue secondly the last time i checked you yourself stated that there's freedom of speech grin grin i guess you haven't forgotten.
cap28:

to be honest they suit each other -show me a man's wife and i will tell you who he is - "witch doctor" Goodluck Jonathan and "Dame" (i couldnt string a grammatical sentence in english together even if my life depended on it) Patience Jonathan  are the perfect couple - two underacheiving dullards - i weep for our nation.
you are also a big fool for calling G.E.J an underachieving dullard YOU CAN'T EVEN SPELL UNDERACHIEVING shocked shocked tongue AND YOU ARE INSULTING AND WEEPING FOR THE NATION  grin I weep for you cry cry  FYI Goodluck is a well educated man with lot of wisdom and intelligence gosh the guy is soo intelligent. He only has an accent which is not his fault. Why insult him because of his mother tongue. have you heard a TYPICAL RUSSIAN SPEAKING ENGLISH. Any body can tell, u know why? because of their accent. I'm not saying all of them. So what the heck if Goodluck speaks and his tongue affects it? once again you are a big F the thread was for Patience and not Jonathan get that into your thick skull  angry   you can't even spell and you are insulting an intelligent man. In fact what have you even achieved have you done anything for Nigeria? I laugh in Ijaw grin grin
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 7:31pm On Jan 31, 2011
kosoro:

Rora e man yi! You don't understand case closed? i mean "kosoro".

Sadly enough, I don't speak your kind of language, anyway, if it's closed, why are you posting? Knock it off and go onto another topic on Nairaland, Please stop the stalking , kinda scary.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by angrynaija: 8:41pm On Jan 31, 2011
if you listen beyond the accent, i think she did well. after all the chinese or russian presidents wouldn't dare deliver a speech in english. i'm not even sure they can speak the language.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by jude33084(m): 8:43pm On Jan 31, 2011
she should improve her reading skills wink

She is the first lady and should represent the women well.

The way she talk shows that she have alot to learn.

JUST hire a private tutor like Igbinedion did ( I mean d dad) cool

NO more " it is not easy to carry first" as from today grin
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by jude33084(m): 8:54pm On Jan 31, 2011
angrynaija:

if you listen beyond the accent, i think she did well. after all the chinese or russian presidents wouldn't dare deliver a speech in english. i'm not even sure they can speak the language.

Talk like an educated person my friend! The Russians and the Chinese do not speak English? is English their lingua franca? angry
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Mujinho4b(m): 8:59pm On Jan 31, 2011
sad :-XI always ask my self if she wouldn't mind to go and learn how to speak, still suprise that she is going to be our first lady undecidedanyhow sha, atleast no be she go lead us.  wink
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by k4kenny(f): 11:19pm On Jan 31, 2011
why do people keep comparing madam Pat to chinese and russians? English is not their official language over there, am sure the chinese and russian presidents/ first ladies are quite fluent in their respective official languages.

While am not expecting our first lady to deliver her speeches in fake fone, it wouldn't hurt for her to at least get a vocal coach to tutor her and prepare her for future public speeches. its prolly going to take a coupe of months maybe even a year, but if you want to continually remain in the public eye, then u must polish urself up a lil bit more than this.

BTW Stella Obasanjo, may her soul R.I.P ,was waaaaay worse than this.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 12:30am On Feb 01, 2011
k4kenny:

why do people keep comparing madam Pat to chinese and russians? English is not their official language over there, am sure the chinese and russian presidents/ first ladies are quite fluent in their respective official languages.
Because surprising as it may sound to you Queen's English is not actually very widely spoken in Nigeria outside very formal occasions.
Nigeria is actually a multilingual country with the main languages spoken in the homes, offices and the streets being Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba as well as Pidgin.
So lets do away with these silly comparisons.
Even the OP was unwise enough to compare Madam Patience with Michelle Obama a practising attorney raised and educated in an overwhelmingly English speaking country! That is senseless.
In the grand scheme of things it does not matter as far as she is able to clearly convey her message to her target audience.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 5:48am On Feb 01, 2011
I think her reading ability can only be excused she did not use English in her studies. If she was invited to speak at a University or school what kind of example would she be setting? I am sure the Nigerian can spare enough money to polish her public speaking abilities. It may be a bit unfair to compare her to Michelle Obama, but I just looked up a video of Graca Machel and even though she has an accent her speech was very well delivered and she wasn't just reading. Anyone who took public speaking in primary, high school or colleges knows that you just can't stand at the podiumand start reading. Like someone already said, we have to start expecting more from our leaders--first ladies included.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 12:56pm On Feb 01, 2011
MaMoyo:

I think her reading ability can only be excused she did not use English in her studies. If she was invited to speak at a University or school what kind of example would she be setting? I am sure the Nigerian can spare enough money to polish her public speaking abilities. It may be a bit unfair to compare her to Michelle Obama, but I just looked up a video of Graca Machel and even though she has an accent her speech was very well delivered and she wasn't just reading. Anyone who took public speaking in primary, high school or colleges knows that you just can't stand at the podiumand start reading. Like someone already said, we have to start expecting more from our leaders--first ladies included.
Just imagine the comparisons you are coming up with!!!. Graca Machel is in fact a highly trained linguist and ex minister of education in Mozambique. She is much more than the 3rd wife of Nelson Mandela!

Born in rural Incadine, Gaza Province, Mozambique (Portuguese East Africa), she attended Methodist mission schools before gaining a scholarship to attend University of Lisbon in Portugal, where she first became involved in independence issues. In that university, she earned a scholarship from Romance Languages. She is fluent in French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and English, as well as her native Tsonga. She returned to Mozambique in 1973, joined the Mozambican Liberation Front (FRELIMO) and became a schoolteacher.

The point is that public speaking is an art and perfection only comes with extensive practice.
It has very little to do with reading in front of the class in high school!
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 3:04pm On Feb 01, 2011
@tensor777 you again,

tensor777:

Because surprising as it may sound to you Queen's English is not actually very widely spoken in Nigeria outside very formal occasions.

You keep calling queens English, whether it is spoken in formal occasions or not, bottom line is that is your official language that you cannot run away from. So if you decide to speak it good, if you chose not to and then blow it in public better for you.

When we compared her to Mrs. Obama, perhaps you should take a look at how it was compared and quit jumping into conclusions. We compared apples for apples; Mrs Jonathan is a president's wife so is Mrs. Obama, both have individual campaigns, Mrs. Jonathan is women initiative while Mrs. Obama is children welfare. Both chose to and were not forced nor percieved to assume leadership roles but they did, so why would any wanna deliver short? Attorney or not, Mrs. Jonathan has resources at her disposal, perhaps way better than Mrs. Obama to achieve a standard reading skills but NO she prefers to dumb it all up and expect the public to have pity on her sorry , go figure. angry angry
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 5:07pm On Feb 01, 2011
manny4life:

When we compared her to Mrs. Obama, perhaps you should take a look at how it was compared and quit jumping into conclusions. We compared apples for apples; Mrs Jonathan is a president's wife so is Mrs. Obama, both have individual campaigns, Mrs. Jonathan is women initiative while Mrs. Obama is children welfare. Both chose to and were not forced nor percieved to assume leadership roles but they did, so why would any wanna deliver short? Attorney or not, Mrs. Jonathan has resources at her disposal, perhaps way better than Mrs. Obama to achieve a standard reading skills but NO she prefers to dumb it all up and expect the public to have pity on her sorry , go figure. angry angry
Just die this your argument. It was YOU and the OP that came up with this Michelle Obama comparison stating that she is an example of a first lady that delivers good speeches.
What I said it is an entirely irrelevant oranges and bananas comparison as the background of the respective first ladies is very very different.
In any case, my own view is that her reading ability is adequate and that she would improve with greater practice. That is all.

Meanwhile it is still nonsensical to compare her speeches with that of a American trained lawyer or even more stupidly to that of a well acccomplished linguist like Graca Machel that speaks, writes and reads 5 European languages fluently! Honestly what is it with all these baseless comparisons
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by chibaby5(f): 5:22pm On Feb 01, 2011
I say nothingz grin grin grin
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by redsun(m): 5:33pm On Feb 01, 2011
Beaf,are u still searching d heavens for solutions to naija problems? when d answers are as simple as responsibility,accoutability,dedication and discipline in leadership,tribe,religion,sex and sexual orientation not withstanding
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by jason2010(m): 5:35pm On Feb 01, 2011
Can somebody say, "SPEECH TUTOR"
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 5:43pm On Feb 01, 2011
jason2010:

Can somebody say, "SPEECH TUTOR"
She does not need a speech tutor at all. All she needs is more hands-on experience  delivering speeches.
I am sure she has more important things to do as a first lady than attempting to appease the vanities and sensibilities of some people, in that fashion
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by jason2010(m): 7:01pm On Feb 01, 2011
@tensor777
Well she definitely needs something speech related. She just don't sound right. She sounds a hot mess grin
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Beaf: 7:10pm On Feb 01, 2011
redsun:

Beaf,are u still searching d heavens for solutions to naija problems? when d answers are as simple as responsibility,accoutability,dedication and discipline in leadership,tribe,religion,sex and sexual orientation not withstanding

Did you post on the wrong thread or is this just a stupeed post?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 8:57pm On Feb 01, 2011
tensor777:

Just die this your argument. It was YOU and the OP that came up with this Michelle Obama comparison stating that she is an example of a first lady that delivers good speeches.
What I said it is an entirely irrelevant oranges and bananas comparison as the background of the respective first ladies is very very different.
In any case, my own view is that her reading ability is adequate and that she would improve with greater practice. That is all.

Meanwhile it is still nonsensical to compare her speeches with that of a American trained lawyer or even more stupidly to that of a well acccomplished linguist like Graca Machel that speaks, writes and reads 5 European languages fluently! Honestly what is it with all these baseless comparisons

NO what is gonna happen Is that you have die your own argument. YES I came up with the comparison with Mrs. Obama and yes she gives good speeches. Is there any for of doubt in that?

Please knock this background crap please; I sure hell ain’t buying that bullshit. Everything has to involve someone’s background, yet nothing stress about people’s competency. Who cares about either of their backgrounds? Mrs. Jonathan could be an illiterate for all I care, better yet not go to school or dropped out in grade 6 or not get secondary level education, but if she was able to read; reading that was ok by you guys, then I think she could have done way better, still have room for improvement. That your background bullshit does not hold, after all there are tons of attorneys when you hear their opening statement during oral argument, you feel so disappointed. I think you need to be quiet and listen, stop making baseless argument on your own part.

Come to think of it, I would assume that there are wives of governors in Nigeria who can speak way better than this awfulness of a woman. There are few senators (women) who can deliver the speech a whole lot better. You think speech delivery has anything to do with your so-called background? Even people with great background still fumble with phrases like “ ummm”, “well”. People with high school diplomas speak well, so it doesn’t matter what anyone’s background is. All we are asking Mrs. First lady to do is get people who are good in speech coordination and delivery, watch and see how better improved she would be.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 12:35am On Feb 02, 2011
tensor777:

Just imagine the comparisons you are coming up with!!!. Graca Machel is in fact a highly trained linguist and ex minister of education in Mozambique. She is much more than the 3rd wife of Nelson Mandela!

Born in rural Incadine, Gaza Province, Mozambique (Portuguese East Africa), she attended Methodist mission schools before gaining a scholarship to attend University of Lisbon in Portugal, where she first became involved in independence issues. In that university, she earned a scholarship from Romance Languages. She is fluent in French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and English, as well as her native Tsonga. She returned to Mozambique in 1973, joined the Mozambican Liberation Front (FRELIMO) and became a schoolteacher.

The point is that public speaking is an art and perfection only comes with extensive practice.
It has very little to do with reading in front of the class in high school!

The reason I compared her with Graca is because Graca's first language is not English and it seems most people arguing for Patience insist it's because her first language is not English. Graca's first language is not English, the official language of Mozambique is Portuguese and most of her schooling would have been in Poruguese (attended university in Portugal even though she studied languages). I concede that my comparison may still be unfair since Graca was a first lady twice (Mozambique then South Africa) but still think it's better than the comparison to Michelle whose first language is English.
I don't know about the remark that "public speaking is not about sitting in front of the classroom" (or something to that effect). I know that public speaking speaking doesn't come naturally to most people which is why are suggested that the government should have funds to get her the assistance she needs (assuming that she is willing to get help). I've seen school children give better speeches in public, it just takes practice which it seems the first lady lacks.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by phreshnech: 6:00am On Feb 02, 2011
She's our first lady ooooo
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by DeeJay20: 10:51am On Feb 02, 2011
Whoa ! u guys are still here arguing this point?
15,233 views and still on the 1st Page of Politics!
Man this goes to show how "hung up" nigerians are on trying
to be "the masters of another mans languague", sheeezzzz!!!
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 11:59am On Feb 02, 2011
[b]The reason I compared her with Graca is because Graca's first language is not English and it seems most people arguing for Patience insist it's because her first language is not English. Graca's first language is not English, the official language of Mozambique is Portuguese and most of her schooling would have been in Poruguese (attended university in Portugal even though she studied languages). I concede that my comparison may still be unfair since Graca was a first lady twice (Mozambique then South Africa) but still think it's better than the comparison to Michelle whose first language is English.
I don't know about the remark that "public speaking is not about sitting in front of the classroom" (or something to that effect). I know that public speaking speaking doesn't come naturally to most people which is why are suggested that the government should have funds to get her the assistance she needs (assuming that she is willing to get help). I've seen school children give better speeches in public, it just takes practice which it seems the first lady lacks.[/b]

Just stop this baseless argument You probably did not take into account that Graca Machel is a well travelled highly educated linguist before you came up with that comparison.
It has nothing to do with whether she has been first lady twice.
In fact she has been a minister of education so she is extremely well versed in giving all manner of eloquent speeches to highbrow audiences.

Fine you may see this issue as a priority but to me it is not as that is only a minuscule part of the duties of a first lady. I am more concerned about the programs and policies that she is promoting rather than highly superficial issues like her accent or how fluent she is.

What difference do these superficial issues make in the grand scheme of things as far as her target audience is able to grasp her message?? She is the wife of the president after all so they had better listen very very carefully to the substance of her speeches. tongue
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by ddahunsi(m): 12:30pm On Feb 02, 2011
What is wrong with us all?

Has it come to this? Must we celebrate mediocrity? Must she display her ignorance in public? She has access to the best speech coaches etc, so what is her excuse? Wetin be first lady sef? She no fit go hide somewhere or take care of her kids like normal?

She chose to come out in public to speak, she chose not to delegate, she is the first lady, so we have the right to speak. However, i don't agree that she is dumb, not polished grin but not daft.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by ebony4life(f): 3:10pm On Feb 02, 2011
NLanders Una be CERTIFIED, CHARTERED and ACCREDITED COPY CATS!
U always want to overdo things more than the owners, in all spheres Fashion, Music, etc.!
Haba! shocked

With everything na, wey your name for list!

So GEJ should divorce her or employ surrogate first Lady abi?! angry
What makes you think she doesn't a have private tutor, Rome wasn't built in a day!
Una think say Public Speaking na beans?! Y una no go Debaters?!

Mtcheeeeeeeeew!

P.S.
If the desirable is not available use the available! Shikena!
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by 234GT(m): 1:00pm On Feb 03, 2011
English is not our mother-tongue in Nigeria but statements like SAMBO IS ONCE A CHILDREN should not come from the first lady of Nigeria.Unfortunately, the video is not playing on you tube now. I laugh hahahahaaaha like OBJ. I believe they should get an English teacher for her. They can employ one of the thousands of jobless English language graduates and rescue that person from unemployment.Not being good at English is not the problem but the real problem is not making efforts to improve yourself. I listen to the BBC regularly to improve my English because I know that I dont know everything in English.Also I dont think there are many Nigerians who can speak Queens English.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by GregDre(m): 5:35am On Feb 06, 2011
its terrible, i do not care what anyone says, this is the face of our nation (she is they first lady!) They need to get her a speech coach or something. It is totally unacceptable for us to be in this day and age and have her speaking the way she is. If you think different then I guess we will continue to be mediocre, and thus exploited by the rest of the world.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by SexyBabie(f): 11:51pm On Apr 27, 2011
Dis is serious

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Presidential Tribunal: Atiku, PDP Putting Lives Of Judges In Danger - Buhari Med / Ngige: Why I Can’t Support Any Presidential Candidate / Patience Jonathan Begs EFCC: Let’s Settle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.