Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:03 AM

Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History (47558 Views)

From Hazard & Pepe → Xhaka & Lingard, Here Are September Flops Of The Month / Shane Long Scores Fastest Ever Goal In Premier League History (Photos) / The Toughest Players Ever In The English Premier League History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by robosky02(m): 1:38pm On Jun 18, 2020
Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History

42 Nigerian footballers have played in the history of the English Premier League since the competition kicked off in the 1992/93 season and while many have shone, some others have flopped big time.

The likes of Nwankwo Kanu, John Mikel Obi, Victor Moses, Celestine Babayaro, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Austin Okocha, Joseph Yobo, Osaze Odemwingie, Efan Ekoku and Shola Ameobi make up the top ten performers.

There are, however, some other Nigerian players who failed to make any major impact in the English top-flight. Complete Sports’ OLUYEMI OGUNSEYIN in this piece writes about seven Nigerians who failed to shine in the EPL…

1.Sam Sodje (Reading – 3 appearances/ 0 goal/ 0 assist/ 0 clean-sheet)

Okeremute Samuel Sodje who was born in England to Nigerian parents and represented the Super Eagles of Nigeria on the international scene did not have a Premier League career to reckon with.

Sodje turned down a move to Southampton on 31 January 2006, the final day of the transfer window. Much speculation followed until it was announced on 12 July 2006 he would join Reading subject to a medical with the move being completed on 14 July, 2006.

However, the move turned out to be a huge disappointment as the former central defender went ahead to make a hugely disappointing three EPL appearances for Reading all through the 2006/07 season.

In the summer transfer window of 2007, Sheffield Wednesday agreed a fee with Reading for Sodje with the player given the opportunity to think over the move. However, Sodje eventually joined Charlton Athletic on loan for the remainder of the
2007–08 season.

2. Julius Aghahowa (Wigan Athletic –
20 appearances/0 goal/1 assist)

Julius Aghahowa had been one of the most feared marksmen in Europe for Shakhtar Donestk, helping the Ukrainian Premier League side with countless goals that had secured several league titles and respect on the continent of Europe.

Finally, he would get his dream move to the Premier League but not to one of the top sides that had courted his signature in the past seasons and instead to a really struggling Wigan Athletic side where he himself also struggled.

A year and a half with the Latics yielded no fun, no drama and not one single goal for the Nigerian striker after making as many as 20 appearances and the Premier League honeymoon was quickly brought to an abrupt end.

And by not finding the back of the net even on just one occasion for Wigan in the English top-flight, one would be forgiven if one thought that the pacy forward was actually deployed in the defense.

3. Ahmed Musa (Leicester City)
21 appearances/2 goals/0 assist)

When Ahmed Musa joined Leicester City in the summer transfer window of 2016, he joined them, having conquered all and sundry in the Russian Premier League with former club, CSKA Moscow where he won three titles, one FA Cup and two Super Cups.

It is, however, so sad that the Super Eagles captain could only score on two occasions before making his departure from the Foxes in the year 2018. His name also emerged among the worst players in Premier League history.

The forward who now plays for Al Nassr FC in the Saudi Arabian professional Football League has been mentioned in FourFourTwo
magazine’s to be one of the worst 50 players in the history of the English Premier League.

Musa was ranked at number 44, having scored a disappoointing two goals in 21 EPL games in two seasons. Musa who joined Leicester not long after they won the title in 2016 had a disastrous performance in England.

FourFourTwo wrote in their report: “In the glow of their Premier League-winning season, Leicester broke their transfer record to bring Musa to England for £16.6m from CSKA Moscow.

“The Nigerian forward has always been an unremarkable and patchy player who most importantly didn’t have a natural place in the Foxes side. At no point in his 18 months at the King Power Stadium (33 games, five goals) did Musa’s transfer ever look
likely to be remotely successful.”

4.Isaac Success (Watford – 54 appearances/2 goals/2 assists)

Former Nigerian youth international, Isaac Success who is on the roster of Watford in England is another player who has failed to take his once very promising football career to the next level.

This is simply because the attacker’s situation at Watford appears to be deteriorating with lack of playing time and that has been the case under three managers so far this season.

Under three managers at Vicarage Road so far during the 2019–20 season, Javi Gracia, previous boss, Quique Sanchez Flores and incumbent, Nigel Pearson, Success has failed to get a look-in.

It is disheartening that the 24-year-old who won the FIFA Under-17 World Cup with the Golden Eaglets of Nigeria in 2013 has played only 54 EPL matches with just 11 starts since joining the Hornets in 2016, scoring twice and making two other assists.

The fringe Super Eagles striker has so far made a hugely disappointing five substitute appearances in the English elite division this season without even a goal or assist to his name.

Success will be all out to salvage his English Premier League (EPL) career which has been anything but successful when the 2019/20 season restarts on Wednesday, 17 June.

5.Danny Shittu (Charlton, West Brom, Watford, Bolton & QPR – 40 appearances/1 goal/0 assist/8 clean-sheets)

It is such a huge disappointment to know that Danny Shittu made only 40 appearances in the Premier League despite being on the rosters of five different club-sides in the elite division.

What this implies is that Shittu played just eight English top-flight games each for the likes of Charlton Athletic, West Bromwich Albion, Watford, Bolton Wanderers and Queens Park Rangers.

And a quick check on his record on premierleague.com revealed the Lagos-born Shittu who started his career at Charlton failed to play a single EPL game from the 2000/2001 season until 2005/2006.

He played for some English clubs apart from Charlton before finally tasting EPL football with Watford in 2006 and was a part of a defense line that conceded the most goals leading to the Hornets being relegated.

Shittu made a quick comeback to the Premier League with Bolton in 2008 but a mere 10 appearances in his first season and not a single one the following term ensured his EPL career did not go according to plan.

The ex-defender who is now 39 years of age who had 33 international caps for the Super Eagles of Nigeria was later unceremoniously released by Bolton.

6. Blessing Kaku (Bolton & Derby County – 1 appearance/0 goal/0 assist)

Former Nigerian international who attended the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Blessing Kaku is certainly one of the players from the West African nation who will not be proud of his Premier League sojourn.

The former midfielder’s Premier League playing career shows he made a move to Bolton Wanderers prior to the 2004/2005 season but after making just an appearance in a whole campaign, he was shipped out immediately.

Kaku who is now 42-years-old thereafter became a journey man of some sort after playing for five other clubs such as Derby County, Maccabi Tel Aviv, F.C. Ashdod, Maccabi Petah Tikva and Enosis Neon Paralimni.

His transfer from F.C. Ashdod to Bolton in 2004 is one of those about which the Stevens inquiry report in June 2007 expressed concerns because of the apparent conflict of interest between agent, Craig Allardyce, his father, Sam Allardyce, the then manager at Bolton and the club itself.

7. Ifeanyi Udeze (West Brom – 11 appearances/0 goal/0 assist)

Ifeanyi Udeze can be said to have had a quite impressive career on the international stage, having shone with the Super Eagles of Nigeria but his Premier League spell is definitely nothing to write home about.

Udeze played for clubs such as Bendel Insurance FC, AO Kavalas (Greece) and PAOK Thessaloniki before joining West Bromwich Albion in the winter transfer window of the year 2003.

In his first season with the Baggies, the former left full-back played in the Premier League, joining the club on loan in the latter stages of the season after which Albion were relegated.

Udeze who is now a radio broadcaster with Brila 88.9 FM was released from AEK Athens on January 2007, six months after signing a three-year contract on 11 August, 2006.

https://www.completesports.com/top-7-nigerian-flops-in-english-premier-league-history/

7 Likes

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by robosky02(m): 8:30pm On Jun 18, 2020
Hello guys who do you think is the biggest Nigerian flop in the EPL

Don't forget Yakubu Aiyegheni is our Best Nigeria striker in EPL

I know some people will only remember his miss against Korea that's not EPL

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by paulolee(m): 9:12pm On Jun 18, 2020
guy....u wicked...for me, na dt ideye wey westbrom bin sign one time naim useless pass am even the club owner regret dt stupid gamble

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by robosky02(m): 9:17pm On Jun 18, 2020
paulolee:
guy....u wicked...for me, na dt ideye wey westbrom bin sign one time naim useless pass am even the club owner regret dt stupid gamble

Omo you want to kill am lol...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by KingTom(m): 1:39am On Jun 19, 2020
paulolee:
Bros, una bin get quarrel before? grin grin

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by paulolee(m): 6:05am On Jun 19, 2020
KingTom:

Bros, una bin get quarrel before? grin grin
bros, that transfer bin pain me..i been think say dt guy good but as him come westbrom naim i kno say na big flop, remember watching one of his match back then in epl and the owner of w.b jus de vex de watch am, i kno say for the owner mind him jus den reason which jazz ideye manager take scam am....funny enough he was shipped out to ukrain months after and he tried in kiev...he was never a epl player.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by KingTom(m): 6:20am On Jun 19, 2020
paulolee:

bros, that transfer bin pain me..i been think say dt guy good but as him come westbrom naim i kno say na big flop, remember watching one of his match back then in epl and the owner of w.b jus de vex de watch am, i kno say for the owner mind him jus den reason which jazz ideye manager take scam am....funny enough he was shipped out to ukrain months after and he tried in kiev...he was never a epl player.
Yes that's true, I remember as the guy dey miss chances anyhow that year grin

1 Like

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by robosky02(m): 8:47am On Jun 19, 2020
KingTom:

Yes that's true, I remember as the guy dey miss chances anyhow that year grin

Some players na over hype dey kill them

Even Isaac success till today the guy na flop
Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by KingTom(m): 1:42pm On Jun 21, 2020
robosky02:

Some players na over hype dey kill them

Even Isaac success till today the guy na flop
Na God go help them las las grin

1 Like

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by VillageBus(m): 3:52pm On Jun 21, 2020
emenike no too try 4 west ham

3 Likes

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by ForeThinker: 8:48pm On Jun 30, 2020
Issorite
Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by Miracleson1: 8:49pm On Jun 30, 2020
Great things will come for us in Jesus name

1 Like

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by theoneJabulani(m): 8:49pm On Jun 30, 2020
Julius Aghahowa really disappointed, after tearing down teams in Ukraine. Guess the EPL just wasn't for him.

Contact me for US and UK used laptops

4 Likes

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by akure1stson: 8:49pm On Jun 30, 2020
isaac okonkwo for wolves
Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by Slawormir: 8:49pm On Jun 30, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

1 Like

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by bolaayenimo: 8:49pm On Jun 30, 2020
They are way richer than you. Flop koo

1 Like

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by 2fine2fast(m): 8:50pm On Jun 30, 2020
Why is Ahmed Musa classified as a flop?

9 Likes

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by Motionact: 8:50pm On Jun 30, 2020
Are you in Abuja?
I teach 2d animation and motion graphics.
Learn from scratch how to make funny cartoon comedy videos today and any kind of animations.
Become an animator today!
Chat me on whatsapp.

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by ForeThinker: 8:50pm On Jun 30, 2020
I did not direct my life. I didn’t design it. I never made decisions. Things always came up and made them for me. That’s what life is.

1 Like

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by IfGodbeforus(m): 8:51pm On Jun 30, 2020
Agha wonder should be the Worst!

Shakardonesk finished all the football in Him for good 5yrs.
Wigan thought they were buying a 25yr old player.. they didn't know they signed a 42 year old ..

The Wigan Chairman was so angry! Shakadonesk chop then raw

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by jamalnation(m): 8:51pm On Jun 30, 2020
OK
Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by jericco1(m): 8:52pm On Jun 30, 2020
The list is faulty
Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by Switruth: 8:52pm On Jun 30, 2020
See as we dey condemn ourselves and tomorrow we go say “ black lives matter”. Okay oh

4 Likes

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by Heffalump(m): 8:52pm On Jun 30, 2020
Please remove Ahmed Musa from that group of failures.

Ahmed remains an enigma in any game of soccer

7 Likes

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by my2chains(m): 8:53pm On Jun 30, 2020
It shall be well with all of you reading this,

from today you all shall be blessed without measures!

Your cups shall flow unimaniginably well!

Op you shall live a ripe fruitfull old age,
your life is blessed

you all are like trees planted by the sea side!

you shall all be fruitful and be multiplied in this life!

peace!

33 Likes

Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by toxxnoni(m): 8:53pm On Jun 30, 2020
Ok
Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by BABANGBALI: 8:54pm On Jun 30, 2020
All of them are ibos grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Top 7 Nigerian Flops In English Premier League History by Golan007: 8:57pm On Jun 30, 2020
They all seem to have one thing in common - weed men off season.

Na joke o.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photo Of Super Eagles After Their Victory Match Against Zambia / Fiorentina Captain Davide Astori Has Died In His Sleep / Incredible Atlanta Mercedes Stadium (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.