Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? (47824 Views)

35k For 64gb ROM 4gb RAM Gionee M7 Power 6.0inch Screen Octa Core Android Ver / This Is Huawei’s Nova 5: 8gb Ram, 128gb Rom, 6.4″ Display, Octa-core Processor / What Is The Cheapest Hexa-core Or Octa-core Phone With At Least 2GB Ram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by prospero5(m): 6:39pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:
The processor or SoC (System on a chip) of a Smartphone can be thought of as the brain of that smartphone.

This processor contains several things. The most important of which are CPUs.

A CPU or Central Processing Unit is responsible for carrying out the tasks and managing the functions of your Smartphone computer.

Your Processor in your Smartphone may contain several CPUs.

Each of this CPUs inside the SoC are referred to as a CORE.

If a processor has:

1 CPU, it's called a Single Core processor

2 CPUs, it's called a Dual Core processor

4 CPUs, it's called a Quad Core processor

6 CPUs, it's called a Hexa Core processor

8 CPUs, it's called a Octa Core processor

10 CPUs, it's called a Deca Core processor

Types of CPUs for Smartphones (Android)

The main company that designs CPUs for all androids is called ARM.

They then sell their design to SoC retailers/manufacturers who then use the design by ARM to build their own Unique CPU.

There are two types of CPUs widely in use in the market now to build SoCs. They are:

1. The ARM cortex A50 series which are used for only light tasks such as making calls, scrolling through FB, WhatsApp chatting, reading an eBook etc.
The A50 series consists of A53, A55 and A57

The exception here is the A57 core which is a powerful core used for heavy tasks. It is the predecessor of the A70 Series. (thank you @Naijasensei)

2. The ARM cortex A70 series which are used for heavy tasks like HD gaming, Video calls, Screen casting etc.
The A70 series consists of A72, A73, A75, A76, A77

A77 is the best currently in the market.

A few questions people may want to ask...

1. Do more Cores equal a better performance?
Well yes and no.

Yes because more CPU helps share the load of processing data and outputs the results faster making apps feel smoother and run faster.

No. Because sometimes more CPU cores isn't necessarily the answer. A Quad core A76/A55 CPU set will outperform an Octa core A57 set by far.

Then there's also optimization. This is when apps and tasks are tailor made to run smoothly on CPUs. This is why a Quad core iPhone may completely destroy an Octa-core midrange android device.

This answer to this question relies on you the individual looking at the CPU spec sheet as well as clock speed.

2. If two CPU cores are compared, is the one with the faster clock speed the best?

Well yes and no again.

Yes, if the two CPUs are of the same architecture e.g A72 Vs A72. They are both equal in every way so the only way to set them apart is the clock speed.

No. If the two CPUs are of different architectures e.g A73 Vs A76. If you like, dash the A73 a clock speed of 2.5GHz, an A76 of 2.0GHz will stroll pass it on a speedtest like Usain Bolt.

For any other question, please comment and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers.

Sir, please what does it really mean to delegate tasks to different processors? Or better still, how do parallel processors work in a phone or PC?
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Alvincutie(m): 6:47pm On Jun 20, 2020
demsid:
op, how do we know if Qualcomm SD835 ,845, 855+ or 865 has the latest and fastest processor of ARM cortex A77.
This might help.

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by jakD: 7:01pm On Jun 20, 2020
DONFRANSKID:
they are many criteria that makes a phone fast and smooth e.g
1.the type of ram used in the phone
2. The clock speed matters
3.the type of storage used in the phone like ufs 2. 0 or 3.0 and emmc 5.1and others
4 The most important thing the proccessor

Did you mean to say "THERE" are many criteria...?
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by micxwell(m): 7:03pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:

The Redmi Note 9S (or Pro) with the SD720G will slightly outperform the Mi 9T (or Redmi K20) with the SD730.

Both the 730 and the 720G come with A76 CPUs for their heavy lifting but the 730 is clocked at 2.2GHz while the 720G is clocked at 2.3GHz. This alone gives it a slight nudge ahead.

This will reflect in GeekBench and Antutu benchmarks when the 720G holds a slight lead over the 730. This is in terms of CPU performance alone.

As we be Africans, na numbers dey move us. I once tried to show someone that SD675 was far superior to SD665. He almost took my head off. He refused to agree that SD675 had a better performance. In truth SD675 performed as well as, if not even better than the SD710 and 712.

All those numbers are for marketing. The new SD690 5G will destroy SD710 and 712 too yet if you look at the names, you'll think otherwise.

Let the architecture and the bench marks show you the way Baba.
All of una wan turn us to witches when it comes to smartphones. You just upgraded my knowledge. Hmmmmm
More anointing bro...

2 Likes

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by hgnbello(m): 7:03pm On Jun 20, 2020
Nice 1.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by DONFRANSKID(m): 7:17pm On Jun 20, 2020
jakD:

Did you mean to say "THERE" are many criteria...?
yeah it's a mistake
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by airminem(f): 7:25pm On Jun 20, 2020
Thachu
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by MrBONE2(m): 7:26pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:

Baba we made FP again.

Cc
SunshineV
DrJPrince
Krazydave
MrBone2
Ddjay
Seunfly
Prettybunny
Dragnetisakuk et al
grin

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by dewiseacre(m): 7:27pm On Jun 20, 2020
The OP kept answering "yes and no" to his own questions. What could be more confusing
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Yoighaman(m): 7:40pm On Jun 20, 2020
@OP: Great info, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jun 20, 2020
Guy, you don finish this topic. Thanks for the information

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by evangsegun: 8:20pm On Jun 20, 2020
KUDOS SIR AND MORE GRACE!

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:

Yes oh. That's the end of Solomon Omokiniovo Grandy. It's called an integrated circuit and laptop PCs are heading towards this design too

Soon you won't be able to swap out these things in your lappy.
The tech world is not getting better it's getting worse. This has confirmed my suspicion. Wicked fools trying to cheat us.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:

Secondly, Windows phone are slower than iPhone because of optimization.

Windows phones run on applications that are ported (or modified) from PC or Android. These apps may work on windows OS but may not be fully compatible hence it may lag or stutter.

iPhones on the other hand make sure that any app designed for them must be made from scratch. From the beginning on iOS software template so it's 100% compatible with whatever iPhone that you're using, so long as it can run the latest OS. If the app get small coma, apple won't let it near their Playstore because it will give them a bad name.

The app will be tested extensively by their software developers as well as pilot testers to ensure that the app is very smooth and very fast before they'll release it to the public.
So apple get sense like this.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by graceapadija: 8:34pm On Jun 20, 2020
You are a good teacher. I love the way you explained it. Well detailed that a layman can easily understand
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by m140(m): 8:47pm On Jun 20, 2020
seunfly:

You are correct, what people don't know is that those series are generational, each series improves every year and they tend to use better cortex and more power efficient in those chip year on year. Poeple should not expect SD600 series to perform less than 5 past generation of 800 series, this is where the number matters
For instance i dont see why SD675 will not outperform SD821 or even SD835 both in processing power, image processing, graphics processing and power efficiency due to advent of new technology and chips making technique that was not available before, also because of competition and urge by chips maker and phone manufacturers to out do each other at every category.

What is painful is that this is not supposed to be subject of discussion in a sane society, u dont needs to be tech geek to know this simple logic and it is there all over the internet. As long as u are educated and above 18 and less than 45 years, u have no excuse not to know it. However we have a bad culture of not learning simple things that we use everyday.
If all this things no fit run gta5 na rubbish to me
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by m140(m): 8:50pm On Jun 20, 2020
MATURELION:
People reading this should know CPU in laptops are totally different from CPU in phones don't mind the 2.5ghz phones can't achieve those speeds in real time infact due to many things like heat, battery and size of mobile devices they run on an architecture called soc which is where ARM comes in, and they are very low powered (don't draw enough watts) to match power requirements of laptops ... just note that
E don finish, all these things no fit make me carry one big money buy phone lailai, wey lappy dey, carry 400k buy phone, if I enter ikeja with 400k, the lappy go play fifa2029
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Deepocean(m): 8:53pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:
The processor or SoC (System on a chip) of a Smartphone can be thought of as the brain of that smartphone.

This processor contains several things. The most important of which are CPUs.

A CPU or Central Processing Unit is responsible for carrying out the tasks and managing the functions of your Smartphone computer.

Your Processor in your Smartphone may contain several CPUs.

Each of this CPUs inside the SoC are referred to as a CORE.

If a processor has:

1 CPU, it's called a Single Core processor

2 CPUs, it's called a Dual Core processor

4 CPUs, it's called a Quad Core processor

6 CPUs, it's called a Hexa Core processor

8 CPUs, it's called a Octa Core processor

10 CPUs, it's called a Deca Core processor

Types of CPUs for Smartphones (Android)

The main company that designs CPUs for all androids is called ARM.

They then sell their design to SoC retailers/manufacturers who then use the design by ARM to build their own Unique CPU.

There are two types of CPUs widely in use in the market now to build SoCs. They are:

1. The ARM cortex A50 series which are used for only light tasks such as making calls, scrolling through FB, WhatsApp chatting, reading an eBook etc.
The A50 series consists of A53, A55 and A57

The exception here is the A57 core which is a powerful core used for heavy tasks. It is the predecessor of the A70 Series. (thank you @Naijasensei)

2. The ARM cortex A70 series which are used for heavy tasks like HD gaming, Video calls, Screen casting etc.
The A70 series consists of A72, A73, A75, A76, A77

A77 is the best currently in the market.

A few questions people may want to ask...

1. Do more Cores equal a better performance?
Well yes and no.

Yes because more CPU helps share the load of processing data and outputs the results faster making apps feel smoother and run faster.

No. Because sometimes more CPU cores isn't necessarily the answer. A Quad core A76/A55 CPU set will outperform an Octa core A57 set by far.

Then there's also optimization. This is when apps and tasks are tailor made to run smoothly on CPUs. This is why a Quad core iPhone may completely destroy an Octa-core midrange android device.

This answer to this question relies on you the individual looking at the CPU spec sheet as well as clock speed.

2. If two CPU cores are compared, is the one with the faster clock speed the best?

Well yes and no again.

Yes, if the two CPUs are of the same architecture e.g A72 Vs A72. They are both equal in every way so the only way to set them apart is the clock speed.

No. If the two CPUs are of different architectures e.g A73 Vs A76. If you like, dash the A73 a clock speed of 2.5GHz, an A76 of 2.0GHz will stroll pass it on a speedtest like Usain Bolt.

For any other question, please comment and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers.

My question to atheistandproud, please what is the name of your main phone?
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by m140(m): 8:55pm On Jun 20, 2020
MATURELION:
but Intel said they're bringing atom chip to mobile devices how will that go in terms of heat management
Explosion galore
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by m140(m): 8:58pm On Jun 20, 2020
MATURELION:
abeg they should do and come, they're still doing it gaming consoles they can do it with mobile phones so they can knock off all these wack mtk chipset once and for all, AMD will have the upper hand here cos they're cheap but they need to work a way around heat that's the only issue I'm having with them
High performance, great heat
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 9:00pm On Jun 20, 2020
Deepocean:

My question to atheistandproud, please what is the name of your main phone?

Redmi Note 7.

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 9:01pm On Jun 20, 2020
prospero5:

Sir, please what does it really mean to delegate tasks to different processors? Or better still, how do parallel processors work in a phone or PC?

This will require me to explain pipelining...

How do I start?
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by naijacartoon: 9:04pm On Jun 20, 2020
This class will not be complete without exam, when is the exam coming up? Just kidding, Nice info, thanks

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 9:05pm On Jun 20, 2020
Ausrichie:

So apple get sense like this.

Very intelligent guys.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Deepocean(m): 9:10pm On Jun 20, 2020
dewiseacre:
The OP kept answering "yes and no" to his own questions. What could be more confusing

Lol, if you understand a subject matter to its core that's what always happen, you can use it to confuse the wisest.

When you are even saying rubbish, people will still be hooked to learn the rubbish, one thing about the OP you should learn is FOCUS, the guy is so focus to an extent that makes me to think he doesn't visit any section apart from Phones when I checked his profile.

His most visit section is only phones.

Lesson: Pay attention to a course to be a master.

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by rajiedreez: 9:15pm On Jun 20, 2020
What's the difference between snapdragon and mediated chipeu
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Deepocean(m): 9:15pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:

Redmi Note 7.
Thanks
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 9:33pm On Jun 20, 2020
Ausrichie:

The tech world is not getting better it's getting worse. This has confirmed my suspicion. Wicked fools trying to cheat us.

Lol
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Orter(m): 10:27pm On Jun 20, 2020
I thought reading this was going to add to my knowledge but the more I read the more confused I am

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by bdek(m): 10:31pm On Jun 20, 2020
Sadly ppl buy phones with all these multiprocessors without much need for the features available on the phone. what
most phone and computer(desktop) applications do are Sequential computing.
The usefulness of multi-core processors is those that always want improvements in productivity, security, multitasking, game performance, data protection, and many more capabilities.
On High-performance computing or Parallel Programming is where multi-core processors are fully utilized.

(Personal opinion)

2 Likes

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by MATURELION: 10:34pm On Jun 20, 2020
Laboni:
Thank you because I read this having computer system in mind and couldn’t make sense from it and was about insulting him not until after reading reading it again, I found it he is focused on mobile phones. Processors in Systems is a whole different game. grin
lol I knew this will hit front page so I needed to clear a few things for people that'll read
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by ddjay: 10:46pm On Jun 20, 2020
MrBONE2:

grin
Yes boss you rock

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Airtel *440*161# 1,500 For 6gb Is Actually 3gb On Android / 6 Important Details You Shouldn’t Make Public On Facebook / Mtn Unlimited 2go Subscription Codes... Free 2go For One Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.