Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,668 members, 7,801,928 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:10 AM

World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica (5170 Views)

LIZARDS: Strange Facts Of An Ubiquitous Reptile. #9, 15 & 18 Are Intriguing / Pls Help Identify This Reptile. / Reptile Found In Edo University's Engineering Workshop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by Insideschoolngr(f): 4:31pm On Jun 19, 2020
The largest reptile egg in the world has been found on Antarctica.

The gigantic egg, which measures more than 11 inches long and 7 inches wide, was apparently laid by a sea monster about 68 million years ago.

“It is from an animal the size of a large dinosaur — but it is completely unlike a dinosaur egg,” lead author Lucas Legendre, a geoscientist at the University of Texas, said.

The mother would have been at least 23 feet long from the tip of its snout to its tail. The species, described in the June 17 issue of Nature, has been named Antarcticoolithus bradyi.

“It is most similar to the eggs of lizards and snakes, but it is from a truly giant relative of these animals,” Legendre.

Based on an analysis of 259 modern reptiles and their eggs, an ancient beast known as a mosasaur would seem to match description, according to SWNS.

“The egg belonged to an individual that was at least 23 feet long, a giant marine reptile,” Legendre said.

Beyond its record-breaking size, the scientists’ finding also challenges the notion that such reptiles did not lay eggs.

“The almost-complete, football-sized soft-shelled egg is one of the largest eggs ever described,” corresponding author Julia Clarke, also of UT, said.

Read more ��
Source: https://insideschool.com.ng/worlds-largest-reptile-egg-discovered-on-antarctica/

1 Like

Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by Ecbatana: 4:53pm On Jun 19, 2020
They should boil or fry it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by ODJ124(m): 5:53pm On Jun 19, 2020
it doesn't even look like an egg
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by Nonso92(m): 6:19pm On Jun 19, 2020
Has the egg been fried already?

Cos I don't understand what my eyes is seeing

10 Likes

Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by JimmyDarmody: 6:23pm On Jun 19, 2020
grin fried egg I guess
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jun 19, 2020
Another nonsense Dinosaurs story abi?

3 Likes

Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by Vulcanheph(m): 6:54pm On Jun 19, 2020
Ecbatana:
They should boil or fry it.
First of all the Egg has become Fossilized so they can't do anything more about it, then it's not a must that every wild animal must be Eaten.

7 Likes

Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by seanwilliam(m): 7:16pm On Jun 19, 2020
All these things na nonsense to me..it doesnt have any usefulness na.. wetin we one gain after knowing now
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by Edopesin: 7:19pm On Jun 19, 2020
you are now using the post to advertise past questions and answers
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by Ladyvin(f): 7:19pm On Jun 19, 2020
What kind of egg � is this that does not look like an egg?
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by javaRookie: 7:22pm On Jun 19, 2020
Audio egg
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by N3cR0mAZc3R(m): 7:26pm On Jun 19, 2020
Insideschoolngr:
The largest reptile egg in the world has been found on Antarctica.

The gigantic egg, which measures more than 11 inches long and 7 inches wide, was apparently laid by a sea monster about 68 million years ago.

“It is from an animal the size of a large dinosaur — but it is completely unlike a dinosaur egg,” lead author Lucas Legendre, a geoscientist at the University of Texas, said.

The mother would have been at least 23 feet long from the tip of its snout to its tail. The species, described in the June 17 issue of Nature, has been named Antarcticoolithus bradyi.

“It is most similar to the eggs of lizards and snakes, but it is from a truly giant relative of these animals,” Legendre.

Based on an analysis of 259 modern reptiles and their eggs, an ancient beast known as a mosasaur would seem to match description, according to SWNS.

“The egg belonged to an individual that was at least 23 feet long, a giant marine reptile,” Legendre said.

Beyond its record-breaking size, the scientists’ finding also challenges the notion that such reptiles did not lay eggs.

“The almost-complete, football-sized soft-shelled egg is one of the largest eggs ever described,” corresponding author Julia Clarke, also of UT, said.

Read more ��
Source: https://insideschool.com.ng/worlds-largest-reptile-egg-discovered-on-antarctica/
Might be some sort of dinosauria fossil buried underneath the earth for mya.

Doesn’t look much like an egg tho.
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by N3cR0mAZc3R(m): 7:28pm On Jun 19, 2020
seanwilliam:
All these things na nonsense to me..it doesnt have any usefulness na.. wetin we one gain after knowing now
I guess It helps some people who are into studying dinosaurs or animals of the past.
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by Harry00(m): 7:33pm On Jun 19, 2020
So the legend were true Dinosaur did exit
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by Edopesin: 7:35pm On Jun 19, 2020
N3cR0mAZc3R:

I guess It helps some people who are into studying dinosaurs or animals of the past.

you know anyone studying dinosaurs in the country?
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by N3cR0mAZc3R(m): 7:36pm On Jun 19, 2020
Harry00:
So the legend were true Dinosaur did exit
Yea they do exist million of years ago but they’re currently no longer extant.
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by Harry00(m): 7:36pm On Jun 19, 2020
N3cR0mAZc3R:

Yea they do exist million of years ago but they’re currently no longer extant.
Yup
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by N3cR0mAZc3R(m): 7:37pm On Jun 19, 2020
Edopesin:

you know anyone studying dinosaurs?
I myself study animals (mostly big cats)and some extant animals and yeah I do know people who study it just not on Nairaland.
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by Edopesin: 7:41pm On Jun 19, 2020
N3cR0mAZc3R:

I myself study animals (mostly big cats)and some extant animals and yeah I do know people who study it just not on Nairaland.

oh ok
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by sunshineV(f): 8:01pm On Jun 19, 2020
religious people will not like this
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by Ukpevictorlala: 10:02pm On Jun 19, 2020
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jun 19, 2020
lalasticlacla, you're called.
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by FlordFlorez(m): 11:23pm On Jun 19, 2020
I thought antarctica doesn't support life, how come a sort of animal's egg is found there. Besides, this does not look like an egg. I understand it's fossillized but antarctica is a very cold region with little sun effect. How come the sun could fry it this extent?
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by N3cR0mAZc3R(m): 11:38pm On Jun 19, 2020
FlordFlorez:
I thought antarctica doesn't support life, how come a sort of animal's egg is found there. Besides, this does not look like an egg. I understand it's fossillized but antarctica is a very cold region with little sun effect. How come the sun could fry it this extent?
Antarctica does support wildlife but only fish and some mammals like polar bears and seals but if u meant to say reptiles then yea I agree with you since they are cold blooded and wouldn’t be able to survive in such freezing zone.

Who knows maybe Antarctica might have been hot/humid like Africa million of years ago during the Pangea.

1 Like

Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by FlordFlorez(m): 11:51pm On Jun 19, 2020
N3cR0mAZc3R:

Antarctica does support wildlife but only fish and some mammals like polar bears and seals but if u meant to say reptiles then yea I agree with you since they are cold blooded and wouldn’t be able to survive in such freezing zone.

Who knows maybe Antarctica might have been hot/humid like Africa million of years ago during the Pangea.
I wants to believe ur last assertion is the case.

1 Like

Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by VickyRotex(f): 3:45am On Jun 20, 2020
Lala will not like this. angry
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by seankim(m): 4:32am On Jun 20, 2020
It might as well be something else, since it’s fossilized.
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by espn(m): 5:37am On Jun 20, 2020
68 million years ago?

1 Like

Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by espn(m): 5:39am On Jun 20, 2020
FlordFlorez:
Na dust or e don rust... something that has spent 68million years.. sad

1 Like

Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by phemmyfour: 8:35am On Jun 20, 2020
Doesn't look like an egg
Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by martolux(m): 9:12am On Jun 20, 2020
That's egg bro...it's just in the omelet form grin
phemmyfour:
Doesn't look like an egg

1 Like

Re: World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica by Vyzz: 10:34am On Jun 20, 2020
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Horrifying photos Show The Charred Remains Of California And Washington Towns / Bsc In Microbiology That Want To Study Medcine Through D.e. How Many Yrs Course? / Please How Do I Do Change Of Institution On Jamb's Site?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.