Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,890 members, 7,802,864 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

Sham Marriages: 10 More Nigerians Arrested In Uk - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sham Marriages: 10 More Nigerians Arrested In Uk (1753 Views)

You Are Still A Dictator -PDP Tells Buhari ….APC Anti-Corruption Crusade, A Sham / Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff / 10 More Boko Haram Terrorists Surrender (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Sham Marriages: 10 More Nigerians Arrested In Uk by ceasyc(f): 1:39pm On Jan 27, 2011
Sham marriages: 10 more Nigerians arrested in UK •May be imprisoned, deported

Written by Christian Okeke and Adelowo Oladipo   Thursday, 27 January 2011

TEN more Nigerians have been arrested by the UK Border Agency over crimes that relate to sham marriages and immigration fraud in continuation of the coordinated crackdown by the agency against foreigners.

Those found guilty face imprisonment and deportation.

A statement sent to the Nigerian Tribune via electronic mail by the agency, on Wednesday, hinted that British courts had since December 2010 handed out jail sentences totalling over 12 years to Nigerians arrested in the operations.

A breakdown of the figure showed that on December 6, 2010, Tunde Ayanniyi, 50, and Bukola Arinkanmile, 28, were sentenced to 20 months and three years respectively for conspiring to break immigration laws. Victoria Adesola, 34, was jailed for two years for her involvement in a sham marriage.

Also, two fake grooms, Olarotimi Ojugbele, 41, and Idowu Komolafe, 34, were jailed for 21 months each for their roles in sham marriages. In Belfast, Patrick Ozegebe, 34, was jailed for six months for trying to open a bank account with a false Nigerian passport.

The European accomplices of those involved in sham marriages, according to the statement, were also jailed as Czech ‘brides’ Nadesa Mirgova, 26, Anna Gabcova, 32, Pavel Mirga, 23, Kveta Pokosova, 45 and Czech ‘groom’, Roman Horvath, 35, all received jail sentences ranging from 16 months to three years.

The Regional Director for the UK Border Agency in Africa, Simon Peachey, in the statement noted that while the UK welcomed genuine visitors from Nigeria, it would, however, come down hard on those who breach visa conditions.

He said that the UK took abuse of the system very seriously and noted that a marriage certificate alone did not give foreign nationals the right to live and work in the UK.

He said, “their relationship has to be genuine, otherwise they face prosecution or removal from the UK. Those attempting to break the UK’s immigration rules by obtaining a British passport fraudulently face a prison sentence, deportation and potentially being barred from re-entering the UK.”

UK Immigration Minister, Damian Green said, “tackling immigration abuse is at the heart of the government’s agenda. Those who facilitate sham marriages are breaking the law and will be held accountable for their actions.

“We have made enforcement action against sham marriages a top priority. Where there is evidence to suggest a wedding may not be genuine we will investigate and bring those involved to justice.”

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/16742-sham-marriages-10-more-nigerians-arrested-in-uk-may-be-imprisoned-deported

ppl still do arrangee/sham marriages in d uk after all d arrests n imprisonment & deportations?

but d thin don cast tey tey now. na wa oh. dumb arses. LMFAO!

no b their 4th (FAULT) or 5th NA "I MUST GET PAPERS OR STAY 4 UK"
SEE NAMES OHHH. DAMN!
Re: Sham Marriages: 10 More Nigerians Arrested In Uk by tpia6: 1:42pm On Jan 27, 2011
are there fake nigerian passports?
Re: Sham Marriages: 10 More Nigerians Arrested In Uk by ceasyc(f): 1:47pm On Jan 27, 2011
tpia*:

are there fake nigerian passports?

YES OH. a guy did one for me for 450 pounds - i thought it was real oh cos it looked so real n some pple he did it 4 got away wit it.
just cudnt bother going to d high commission myself cos of work schedule = bad idea

i was lucky cos d home office did not persecute me, they just wrote me n said your passport was obtained fraudulently (fake)
do a new one and resubmit. i had to go to d 9ja high commission to get another back then
Re: Sham Marriages: 10 More Nigerians Arrested In Uk by Lagosboy: 4:25pm On Jan 27, 2011
ceasyc:

YES OH. a guy did one for me for 450 pounds - i thought it was real oh cos it looked so real n some pple he did it 4 got away wit it.
just cudnt bother going to d high commission myself cos of work schedule = bad idea

i was lucky cos d home office did not persecute me, they just wrote me n said your passport was obtained fraudulently (fake)
do a new one and resubmit. i had to go to d 9ja high commission to get another back then

You were very lucky i must say . . . .i wonder though if this was years back , because such crimes land people in 1yr jail i guess. It means you were in possession of fradulent document.
Re: Sham Marriages: 10 More Nigerians Arrested In Uk by T9ksy(m): 4:44pm On Jan 27, 2011
ceasyc:

That's what the yorubas calls "akalolo ta ni ko she baba, oni owun o le she ba ba ba ba ba ba"- a stutterer who was
asked to say "baba" but refused that he's not willing to say "ba ba ba ba ba ". has he not said "baba" thrice over now?

Yeah i guess you were damn lucky. I hope you went and did thanksgiving at your local church the sunday after the event.

In the end you still had to go to the same high commission you couldn't be bothered toattend except this time, you 've already
forked out £450 which i believe is non-refundable. Or did you get a refund?   grin

You this EzeUche sef. must you view everything through your jaundiced ethnic lenses?
Re: Sham Marriages: 10 More Nigerians Arrested In Uk by ceasyc(f): 10:10am On Jan 28, 2011
Lagosboy:

You were very lucky i must say . . . .i wonder though if this was [b]years bac[/b]k , because such crimes land people in 1yr jail i guess. It means you were in possession of fradulent document.

yes i was v v lucky & yes it was years back,
thats y some pple got away wit it back then = d home office stamped their ILR/LR/VISA, etc on dem fake passports.
i wondered y or how dey detected mine but hey lucky me grin
Re: Sham Marriages: 10 More Nigerians Arrested In Uk by ceasyc(f): 11:52am On Jan 28, 2011
T9ksy:

That's what the yorubas calls "akalolo ta ni ko she baba, oni owun o le she ba ba ba ba ba ba"- a stutterer who was
asked to say "baba" but refused that he's not willing to say "ba ba ba ba ba ". has he not said "baba" thrice over now?

Yeah i guess you were damn lucky. I hope you went and did thanksgiving at your local church the sunday after the event.

In the end you still had to go to the same high commission you couldn't be bothered toattend except this time, you 've already
forked out £450 which i believe is non-refundable. Or did you get a refund? grin

hehe. grin
refund 4 where? no refund oh. d guy argued about other ppl he did d same tin 4 - didnt have d same probs wit d H.O so y me?
showed him d letter then im com do another dagbo 4 me but i no submit that one = thief n bad head angry angry angry
Re: Sham Marriages: 10 More Nigerians Arrested In Uk by mukina2: 12:46pm On Jan 28, 2011

(1)

Over 170, 000 Travel By Water Every Day – Lagos State Waterways Authority / Breaking News: Protest Strikes On Monday 9th January 2012 To Go Ahead -NLC/TUC / Goodluck Jonathan's London Jamboree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.