Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:06 PM

How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. (1440 Views)

I Am Facing Blockages After Meeting My Girlfriend / Meeting My Yoruba Inlaws For The First Time / Im Nervous!!!!! Will be Meeting My Naira Land Boo For The First Time Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Abbeylanre15(m): 12:33pm On Jun 20, 2020
Afternoon Everyone.
I will be meeting my girlfriend's parent for the very first time next weekend. And to be sincere, I'm nervous! Pls I will like matured and married men in the house to teach me how to Comport myself in their presence.

Do I need to go with a friend?
Am I supposed to eat there?
Like how much should I budget for the trip coz they stays in a different state with me?
Who and who are the most important that I must settle?

Mind u, I'm a low income(50k-80k) earner and my girl earn higher, but we're cool with that. I've always think that I won't get married until I get a better job,but age is not on my girl's side and her parent her now pestering. I pray her family should accept me.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by majamajic(m): 12:35pm On Jun 20, 2020
No ear rings
Cover all tattoos
Use local language
No chewing gums
Dress traditional or matured
Don't lie or use trick
Eat food but make sure u eat before going so u don't eat like dog
Never go outside to smoke during the discussions
Don't look lostly at her younger sister
U can give them money , don't give the dad
Go with good bottled wine
Don't demand any money from your wife that day , do as u can do
Don't panick , u are the main actor , don't see it as they are doing u good
If u have 2 cars , use the minor first
Just no let them see u finish

8 Likes

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jun 20, 2020
Baba .. chillax ,u don't need to go with any friend,
just be yourself no do gragra...and eat if den offer u food o wink u go dey alright....and u no dey settle anybody yet..u fit just buy wine (for the Papa)..and something else for the (ma).. no go empty handed sha

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by sladimeji(m): 12:39pm On Jun 20, 2020
the most important thing is being yourself...just be yourself and everything will be fine

1 Like

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jun 20, 2020
Just go there bro, be yourself, and comport yourself.. if you try and be acting cool or asking how u shud act there, my bro.. you might fumble hoo. Cuz u might not be used to the actions you want to display.
Just go there, be yourself, budget the amount you know won't affect you badly if you spend..
No do pass yourself..
If you do pass yourself, dear, they will start expect too much from you, just be very real with them..
Cuz that is part of the foundation..
Lobatan.. all the best grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jun 20, 2020
This guy go use hypertension kill himself. Lol grin grin

Bro just be yourself, don't go with a friend. You are meeting them for the first time, there may be some things they will want to talk about but won't with the presence of your friend. Just go with the intention of meeting your would be parents. Be relaxed, polite and confident.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by iKingsley(m): 12:45pm On Jun 20, 2020
Just be yourself.

You are the one about to marry her not other way round. I don't know what you mean by 'you are afraid her family won't accept you'. grin

1 Like

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Bluezy13(m): 12:45pm On Jun 20, 2020
Hmmm...

The woman is indeed the man of the house.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Headlesschicken(m): 12:47pm On Jun 20, 2020
undecided Be yourself eat sh!t n do whatever d phuck else u would like to do.... It's a free world...

1 Like

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Fidelismaria: 12:47pm On Jun 20, 2020
angry
Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Zendinho(m): 12:51pm On Jun 20, 2020
Since it's your first time, go with just one person that is more mature in who in wisdom and age than you.

Don't do the mistake of going with someone who's not mature in every thing. Someone who knows you very well....who can represent you in words and can command influence is ok.

It depends on the family, but in an ideal situation, you should go with a bottle of wine. You will certainly be entertained, don't reject theirs but don't finish it no matter how small it is especially food.

When you done with entertainment, thank them for their welcome and go straight to the point. Mind you if you are not used to proverbs or wise words avoid using them lest you make blunders .

In all comport your self in their presence, talkless but listen more.

Make use of your two most important senses.
The eyes: Observe their body language while you talk
The ears: Listen attentively while someone talks....

Make less of your mouth except and unless you want to talk.

All in all I wish you the best of luck.

6 Likes

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by AFvckingAlpha(m): 12:55pm On Jun 20, 2020
Just be yourself my guy. Your a man! Stop fidgeting!

Whats the worst that can happen??

Don't give in to fear??
Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by missyojo(f): 1:21pm On Jun 20, 2020
Zendinho:
Since it's your first time, go with just one person that is more mature in who in wisdom and age than you.

Don't do the mistake of going with someone who's not mature in every thing. Someone who knows you very well....who can represent you in words and can command influence is ok.

It depends on the family, but in an ideal situation, you should go with a bottle of wine. You will certainly be entertained, don't reject theirs but don't finish it no matter how small it is especially food.

When you done with entertainment, thank them for their welcome and go straight to the point. Mind you if you are not used to proverbs or wise words avoid using them lest you make blunders .

I really wish the OP can listen to this Advice because you have said it all.

You really nailed it.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Abbeylanre15(m): 1:23pm On Jun 20, 2020
majamajic:
No ear rings
Cover all tattoos
Use local language
No chewing gums
Dress traditional or matured
Don't lie or use trick
Eat food but make sure u eat before going so u don't eat like dog
Never go outside to smoke during the discussions
U can give them money , don't give the dad
Go with good bottled wine
Don't demand any money from your wife that day , do as u can do
Don't panick , u are the main actor , don't see it as they are doing u good
If u have 2 cars , use the minor first

Thanks bro.... I no get car oo....
Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Abbeylanre15(m): 1:24pm On Jun 20, 2020
Heistman:
Baba .. chillax ,u don't need to go with any friend,
just be yourself no do gragra...and eat if den offer u food o wink u go dey alright....and u no dey settle anybody yet..u fit just buy wine (for the Papa)..and something else for the (ma).. no go empty handed sha

All right bro
Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Abbeylanre15(m): 1:25pm On Jun 20, 2020
Ariza:
This guy go use hypertension kill himself. Lol grin grin

Bro just be yourself, don't go with a friend. You are meeting them for the first time, there may be some things they will want to talk about but won't with the presence of your friend. Just go with the intention of meeting your would be parents. Be relaxed, polite and confident.

U've got a point bro
Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 20, 2020
so the nervousness stems from the fact that cos u low income earner the parents might look down on you i guess cheesy.anyway just be urself and be moderately dressed.dont be too boastful and dont be too timid and dont give them the impression that u just ok with your 80k montly earning.let them know u ambitous and looking forward to surpass this ur level in the nxt few years.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jun 20, 2020
majamajic:

wich sane man who would be looking lustily at his wife's to be younger sister when meeting the parents cheesy.no right thinking male even a womaniser would behave like that.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Abbeylanre15(m): 1:30pm On Jun 20, 2020
Zendinho:

Thanks bro... it's a long distance and I don't have much friends. I'm thinking of going alone. Moreover, someone said; they might want to discuss something they wouldn't want a third party to be aware of.
Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by majamajic(m): 1:34pm On Jun 20, 2020
lefulefu:
wich sane man who would be looking lustily at his wife's to be younger sister when meeting the parents cheesy.no right thinking male even a womaniser would behave like that.

My friend that went on first visit , later married the younger sister instead

I ve heard a friend that went with a friend on first visit , later came back and marry the said girl
Some younger sisters can make u look lostly
Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 20, 2020
majamajic:

My friend that went on first visit , later married the younger sister instead

I ve heard a friend that went with a friend on first visit , later came back and marry the said girl
Some younger sisters can make u look lustly
he will still be fucking the elder sis on code behind the younger sis back and after some time he will dump the younger sis.such marriage no dey last.any younger sister wey agree to marry her elder sister"s man cos of a little disagreement ought to know such a man is not responsible.
Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Zendinho(m): 1:44pm On Jun 20, 2020
[quote author=missyojo post=90876485]

I really wish the OP can listen to this Advice because you have said it all.

You really nailed it.

In 2019 i had the opportunity to be a spoke person for two people when they met their in-laws.

One was my church member
The other my close friend.

Hoping on God for mine this year ending.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by majamajic(m): 1:47pm On Jun 20, 2020
lefulefu:
he will still be fucking the elder sis on code behind the younger sis back and after some time he will dump the younger sis.such marriage no dey last.any younger sister wey agree to marry her elder sister"s man cos of a little disagreement ought to know such a man is not responsible.

Some don't care , a guy is marrying 2 sisters comfortably now
U need hear how it happened abi ?
Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Creamychic(f): 1:53pm On Jun 20, 2020
Please, do not go with anyone. Also, buy a good bottle of wine for her dad (ask her if her dad takes alcoholic wine, if not get a good non alcoholic one).

Goodluck!

Remember to give us an update.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Zendinho(m): 1:53pm On Jun 20, 2020
[quote author=Abbeylanre15 post=90876803]

Thanks bro... it's a long distance and I don't have much friends. I'm thinking of going alone. Moreover, someone said; they might want to discuss something they wouldn't want a third party to be aware of.

Like you pointed out that you're nervous, the best you should do here is to go with someone.

There's no private thing they'll ask you more than this.

1. Where are you from
2. Who are you parents
3. What do you do for a living
4. How do you know their daughter. This is where most guys fumble.
5. Where do you worship if there are religious fanatics, this could make or Mar the relationship.

These are all personal assessment which is a normal thing.

Imagine the whole family of about six members who are all eager to see this man since their daughter broke the news to them sorrounding a table and you're just alone in the middle of the sea.
Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by callmeRichie(m): 1:56pm On Jun 20, 2020
Abbeylanre15:
Afternoon Everyone.
I will be meeting my girlfriend's parent for the very first time next weekend. And to be sincere, I'm nervous! my girl earn higher, but we're cool with that. I've always think that I won't get married until I get a better job,but age is not on my girl's side and her parent her now pestering. I pray her family should accept me.

1. Don't overdress, be in your local attire with cap and be as simple as you could be.
2. Great properly according to your tradition, if you are Yoruba, postrate.
3. Don't sit until you were told to do.
4. Make yourself comfortable.
5. Don't be looking around the sitting room, like you're admiring the beauty or something, be focused on what you came to do.
6. Reply in simple words any questions you would be asked, don't TALK TOOO MUCH!
7. Don't go empty handed, get a gift for the father and mother especially. And give her brothers and sisters something too, if you have enough.

I think you're good to go with this...

#Goodluck

1 Like

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Zendinho(m): 1:56pm On Jun 20, 2020
[quote author=majamajic post=90877336]

Some don't care , a guy is marrying 2 sisters comfortably now
U need hear how it happened abi ?

Pls can you give us the details.....
Am nervous to know.
I know the president will be shocked.
Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Burgerlomo: 2:12pm On Jun 20, 2020
Consult the Marlians cool
Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Adasun(m): 2:56pm On Jun 20, 2020
Nlandars sabi ginger person o. cheesy

They fit ginger u make u go slap soldier self cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by 1beat(m): 3:20pm On Jun 20, 2020
very simple...
1, just be your self
2, dress simple and nicely ( shirt and trouser )
3, Ask your girlfriend her daddy favorite fruit, whine, and bread buy these and go along with it
4, go in the morning around 11am
5, eat before you go and take enough water
6, answer all questions wit little smile
Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by missyojo(f): 3:35pm On Jun 20, 2020
[quote author=Zendinho post=90877240][/quote]

Awwwww!!! I wish you the very best

Gracias!!!
Re: How Do I Comport Myself While Meeting My Girl's Parent For The First Time. by Zendinho(m): 3:57pm On Jun 20, 2020
[quote author=missyojo post=90880719]

Awwwww!!! I wish you the very best

Gracias!!!

Thank you so much.....

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Counter Thread: Is This Right, Even If She's Her Daughter? (PICTURE) / How Can I Chase Away Someone That Overstayed Their Welcome? / About Turning To A Full Blown Atheist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.