Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,958 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? (4720 Views)

Help Cybersecurity Or Data Analysis? / Cybersecurity Or Machine Learning ? Which Is The Most Preferred In Nigeria / Learning Programming Or Computer Networking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Tarvel(m): 5:58pm On Jun 20, 2020
I'm still in High school(final year) and I need advice on what to study in the University. Thing is I wanna pursue a career in Cybersecurity but people around me(my siblings) are saying I should do Computer Science then do my masters(and personal study) on Cybersecurity. I'm really confused and I need advice from professionals. Thanks In advance.
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by flyingpig: 6:04pm On Jun 20, 2020
Computer science is broader and it will afford you a chance to do career switch at any time in your life when cyber security gets too boring or lowly lucrative

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Tarvel(m): 6:07pm On Jun 20, 2020
flyingpig:
Computer science is broader and it will afford you a chance to do career switch at any time in your life when cyber security gets too boring or lowly lucrative
Thank you, I didn't look at it that way

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by phr33man(m): 6:08pm On Jun 20, 2020
Is cyber security already available at undergraduate level?

What's the curriculum like from your first year till finals?

You better don't be deceived. Cyber security is a subset of Information system security. And this is just a course in computer science. Courses like these are specialties and can only be done at Masters level. Go for computer science please.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by flyingpig: 6:09pm On Jun 20, 2020
Tarvel:
Thank you, I didn't look at it that way

While at it, you can channel more energy into cybersecurity classes and online lessons since its your special interest.

But don't forget courses like C/S will need at least 2.1 CGPA for employability.

Ask your siblings for interpretation.
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Tarvel(m): 6:10pm On Jun 20, 2020
phr33man:
Is cyber security already available at undergraduate level?

What's the curriculum like from your first year till finals?

You better don't be deceived. Cyber security is a subset of Information system security. And this is just a course in computer science. Courses like these are specialties and can only be done at Masters level. Go for computer science please.
Some Universities have it as an Undergraduate course. Thanks
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Tarvel(m): 6:12pm On Jun 20, 2020
flyingpig:

While at it, you can channel more energy into cybersecurity classes and online lessons since its your special interest.

But don't forget courses like C/S will need at least 2.1 CGPA for employability.

Thanks, again. I know what it is
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Coder2Client(m): 6:25pm On Jun 20, 2020
Cyber security is done at master level. So, study CS and you can later decide which path to take whether as a programmer, Analyst, networker, or database administrator.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:26pm On Jun 20, 2020
flyingpig:

No one cares about your grades with regards to computer science. It's one of the most egalitarian courses out there. You are judged based on what you can do.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Sulele04(m): 7:14pm On Jun 20, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

No one cares about your grades with regards to computer science. It's one of the most egalitarian courses out there. You are judged based on what you can do.
pls ingnore this if you want to be really successful read and understand your topics and also focus on good grades i tell you all first class graduate i know are working at big companies earning cool while those people with poor grades are working at cyber cafes schools etc

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:28pm On Jun 20, 2020
Sulele04:
pls ingnore this if you want to be really successful read and understand your topics and also focus on good grades i tell you all first class graduate i know are working at big companies earning cool while those people with poor grades are working at cyber cafes schools etc

Companies only care about your skills as a computer scientist. It's the facts. Go online search for the following roles: Front end developer, back end developer, data scientist, full-stack developer, network engineer, game developer. There's absolutely no grade requirements for these jobs only raw skills. If you are a computer science student interested in working in a bank then get the right grades. Getting into a good school for masters is also dependent on grades too but raw skills get the jobs done.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Siberry: 7:32pm On Jun 20, 2020
Tarvel:
I'm still in High school(final year) and I need advice on what to study in the University. Thing is I wanna pursue a career in Cybersecurity but people around me(my siblings) are saying I should do Computer Science then do my masters(and personal study) on Cybersecurity. I'm really confused and I need advice from professionals. Thanks In advance.

I'm starting Cyber Security and Computer Forensic this September. It's going to be my second degree.

I'm interested in security and Forensics. We will do programming, database, computer systems, Networking, and all foundations in our first year before delving into security and Forensics all in second and final year.

If you are interested in security, go do Cyber security. You will get to learn programming, SQl and all in the course. Check out the course syllabus. If I may ask, which school are going for?
Cyber security is quite broad and very lucrative. Check out how much Pen testers, SOC earn. The fact is that you can still be a developer after this course.

If you want to do Maths, calculus and co, go for Computer Science. It's harder and boring.
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Sulele04(m): 7:48pm On Jun 20, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Companies only care about your skills as a computer scientist. It's the facts. Go online search for the following roles: Front end developer, back end developer, data scientist, full-stack developer, network engineer, game developer. There's absolutely no grade requirements for these jobs only raw skills. If you are a computer science student interested in working in a bank then get the right grades. Getting into a good school for masters is also dependent on grades too but raw skills get the jobs done.
my brother everything you just mentioned are not computer science but applications of computer science everythings the programmers and all other proffesionals use(programming languages even os) are made by computer scientists bottom line: u dont need good grades to master javascript or php and be a web dev but you need good grades (KNOWLEDGE OF THEORY AND APPLICATIONS) to be a computer scientist

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:50pm On Jun 20, 2020
Sulele04:
my brother everything you just mentioned are not computer science but applications of computer science everythings the programmers and all other proffesionals use(programming languages even os) are made by computer scientists bottom line: u dont need good grades to master javascript or php and be a web dev but you need good grades (KNOWLEDGE OF THEORY AND APPLICATIONS) to be a computer scientist

But these are the jobs computer science people will be doing. I mean some require a degree in computer science or any sort of technical field. Even deep AI and machine learning can be self-taught.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Sulele04(m): 8:08pm On Jun 20, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

But these are the jobs computer science people will be doing. I mean some require a degree in computer science or any sort of technical field. Even deep AI and machine learning can be self-taught.
to know machine learning algorithm and to apply them through ready made lib are two different things computer scientist creates this algorithm something a so called full stack deueloper can never understand but can use . Computer science being a job requirement doesnt mean the job is all about. tensorflow is a ml/dl lib/framework who do you think will be working on its next update a so called skilled man or a real computer scientist

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 20, 2020
Sulele04:
to know machine learning algorithm and to apply them through ready made lib are two different things computer scientist creates this algorithm something a so called full stack deueloper can never understand but can use . Computer science being a job requirement doesnt mean the job is all about. tensorflow is a ml/dl lib/framework who do you think will be working on its next update a so called skilled man or a real computer scientist
Your friends who are working because of their first class have the skills. In the tech world no one will look at you if you don't know what you are doing. If you have a first class and don't have the skills no one will look at you, you will be called a fraud to top it off.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Sulele04(m): 8:59pm On Jun 20, 2020
Ausrichie:

Your friends who are working because of their first class have the skills. In the tech world no one will look at you if you don't know what you are doing. If you have a first class and don't have the skills no one will look at you, you will be called a fraud to top it off.
how can someone study cs and not have those so called skill . I had mastered cpp and haskell during my uni days even computer graphics bitcamp and co i was taught. Bottom line a cs graduate with good grades will be the oga of you so called programmers and will earn more. If you dont believe me check miscrosoft google ibm oracle their ogas the best paid project managers are cs graduate with good grades
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Nobody: 8:28am On Jun 21, 2020
Sulele04:
how can someone study cs and not have those so called skill . I had mastered cpp and haskell during my uni days even computer graphics bitcamp and co i was taught. Bottom line a cs graduate with good grades will be the oga of you so called programmers and will earn more. If you dont believe me check miscrosoft google ibm oracle their ogas the best paid project managers are cs graduate with good grades
People here in naija that pay off lecturers nko. So are you telling me that those people were not tested.
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Sulele04(m): 8:38am On Jun 21, 2020
Ausrichie:

People here in naija that pay off lecturers nko. So are you telling me that those people were not tested.
people that pay off lecturers to pass(even if it is true) will not even submit cv for jobs i am very sure . Because they wont even know anything about cs.
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Etinosa1234: 8:43am On Jun 21, 2020
Sulele04:

bro forget. I've seen computer science graduates that complain of being unemployed!!...Their grades were good but they don't have the skills...

I don't think computer science in universities in Nigeria will teach u Java,swift, Python... I don't even think those lecturers are good in it...

We are in a digital world... there is a guy on nairaland that is currently a data scientist...He studied biochemistry... and when he applied for a job as data scientist..He got it because of his skills...

Certificate can be gotten easily in this world we are...from udemy, edx and the likes...

A computer science degree is not a must bro

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Sulele04(m): 8:58am On Jun 21, 2020
Etinosa1234:

bro forget. I've seen computer science graduates that complain of being unemployed!!...Their grades were good but they don't have the skills...

I don't think computer science in universities in Nigeria will teach u Java,swift, Python... I don't even think those lecturers are good in it...

We are in a digital world... there is a guy on nairaland that is currently a data scientist...He studied biochemistry... and when he applied for a job as data scientist..He got it because of his skills...

Certificate can be gotten easily in this world we are...from udemy, edx and the likes...

A computer science degree is not a must bro
data science web development are jobs that dont require cs degree i agree . But the top jobs like chief software engineer, project manager at established tech comp i can assure if you dont have degree in cs or it or any engineering degree you will never get the job .the same way a mechanic wit skills and engi with project nd pay

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Etinosa1234: 9:02am On Jun 21, 2020
Sulele04:
data science web development are jobs that dont require cs degree i agree . But the top jobs like chief software engineer, project manager at established tech comp i can assure if you dont have degree in cs or it or any engineering degree you will never get the job .the same way a mechanic wit skills and engi with project nd pay

Bro u are right...but what abt people that got their certs online from udemy, edx, and other top online learning institute... won't they also be respected
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Sulele04(m): 9:14am On Jun 21, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Bro u are right...but what abt people that got their certs online from udemy, edx, and other top online learning institute... won't they also be respected
they will be respected as long as they know what they are doing well . alot of web developers i know didnt study cs, also a lot of cs graduate i know are not into web dev etc they are into project research and development
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by stanliwise(m): 9:25am On Jun 21, 2020
Sulele04:
they will be respected as long as they know what they are doing well . alot of web developers i know didnt study cs, also a lot of cs graduate i know are not into web dev etc they are into project research and development
CS is a very wide field to be constrained just to web dev. Web dev is underProgramming. Programming is just a part of CS. which makes web dev a sub sub
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Sulele04(m): 9:28am On Jun 21, 2020
stanliwise:
CS is a very wide field to be constrained just to web dev. Web dev is underProgramming. Programming is just a part of CS. which makes web dev a sub sub
you are right
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 21, 2020
Sulele04:
people that pay off lecturers to pass(even if it is true) will not even submit cv for jobs i am very sure . Because they wont even know anything about cs.
It seems like you don't know Nigerians. Some would still get jobs funny as it sounds (only here in this shithole)
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Nobody: 10:15am On Jun 21, 2020
stanliwise:
Truth about the so called web development is that some of these developers don't even know how the internet works (OSI/four layer model, IP address, Three way handshake, encapsulation) na only library them sabi. If you tell them to learn how the internet works and how sockets work too they will start yapping.
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 21, 2020
Sulele04:
they will be respected as long as they know what they are doing well. alot of web developers i know didnt study cs, also a lot of cs graduate i know are not into web dev etc they are into project research and development
Good oh. Cause that's what I plan on doing, Nigerian universities are worthless in the CS aspect. Teaching Java and Python that doesn't even have the features (pointers and addressing) for CS students. Some universities teach C++ good enough but I heard that they only scratch it.
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Sulele04(m): 11:08am On Jun 21, 2020
Ausrichie:

Good oh. Cause that's what I plan on doing, Nigerian universities are worthless in the CS aspect. Teaching Java and Python that doesn't even have the features (pointers and addressing) for CS students. Some universities teach C++ good enough but I heard that they only scratch it.
see there are things you will learn in uni that you will will never learn anywhere so also there are things you will have to learn yourself. Your lecturer cant teach you all

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by stanliwise(m): 11:33am On Jun 21, 2020
Ausrichie:

Truth about the so called web development is that some of these developers don't even know how the internet works (OSI/four layer model, IP address, Three way handshake, encapsulation) na only library them sabi. If you tell them to learn how the internet works and how sockets work too they will start yapping.
ahhhahahha you are right but those knowledge are for the network industry. Anyone can learn web dev. CS is now dynamic that people can learn it without going to school. But theoretical knowledge is quite different from practical knowledge. Your point is correct.
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Tarvel(m): 4:37pm On Jun 21, 2020
Siberry:

I'm starting Cyber Security and Computer Forensic this September. It's going to be my second degree.

I'm interested in security and Forensics. We will do programming, database, computer systems, Networking, and all foundations in our first year before delving into security and Forensics all in second and final year.

If you are interested in security, go do Cyber security. You will get to learn programming, SQl and all in the course. Check out the course syllabus. If I may ask, which school are going for?
Cyber security is quite broad and very lucrative. Check out how much Pen testers, SOC earn. The fact is that you can still be a developer after this course.

If you want to do Maths, calculus and co, go for Computer Science. It's harder and boring.

Probably FUTMINA. Is it a 3 year course?
Re: Should I Go For Cybersecurity Or Computer Science? by Siberry: 4:57pm On Jun 22, 2020
Tarvel:
Probably FUTMINA. Is it a 3 year course?

Didn't know they do Cyber security in Nigeria. Well, I will advise you to check the sylabbus very well and check out their cyber labs b4 going for it, if not, please stick to Computer Science.

It's 3 years in the UK.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Andela Will Empower Africa's Next Generation Of Great Technical Leaders / Macbook Pro Is Overrated. / NGR, Nigeria First Made Programming Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.