Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,946 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:25 PM

USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation (11112 Views)

(help) WINXP Black Screen Of Death/booting Loop / My Harddisk Is Not Detected Again, Windows Not Booting Up Pls Hlp..... / "loading Pbr For Descriptor 2 : Done : Bad Pbr" for winxp sp2 on a dell pc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by gentleone(f): 4:27pm On Jan 30, 2006
I recently reinstalled Win XP professional on an hp laptop(nx9110) and i've been having issues with the USB ports. all the three ports are not working and the drivers are installed when you check it in device manager.
i'm trying to download sp2 for XP to see if that would fix it but meanwhile could anyone suggest what to do?
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by sbucareer(f): 6:30pm On Jan 30, 2006
I probably think that, this is a hardware problem. The HP Compaq nx9110 Business Notebook have 1x3 USB port and comes compactable with Window XP/Professional. I would recommend to de-install the driver reboot and try to scan for new hardware and use the HP recommended driver to install the hardware back on. If that fails, like you said try window sp2 and see if that has any effect.

If all fails login to HP website and leave their technical team with your problems and hope they answer you with solutions, best of luck.
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by PaypalGod(m): 8:43am On Jan 31, 2006
Why dont you try WINDOWS UPDATE. Did the laptop come with system drivers?
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by gentleone(f): 3:16pm On Jan 31, 2006
i just installed sp2 and it dint help matters at all. infact, i had to reinstall the o/s all over again cos the system dint come up at all, not even in safe mode, after installing sp2. i'm reinstalling all the drivers again now and yes, i'm using the cd's that came with the laptop.
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by sbucareer(f): 3:18pm On Jan 31, 2006
@gentleone, tell us the outcome after your installation
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by gentleone(f): 3:23pm On Jan 31, 2006
ok
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by sbucareer(f): 3:43pm On Jan 31, 2006
It would be helpful if u could tell us the name of the USB hardware.  Check your Notebook manual.  Do u also know if the USB is 2.0 or 1.1 not that it make any difference because 2.0 is back-compactable with 1.0 but very slow in read/write.

Anyway,  I will now discuss how to address an unknown device problem which is caused by a driver problem.

Try to update the unknown device driver from within Device Manager. First try letting Windows search for one. If that fails, go back and choose "Select from a list" and then "Have disk". Browse to the device CD and look for the appropriate Windows folder there. Try browsing to the Windows CD (Win9x folder or i386 folder). Lastly, try updated drivers from the manufacturer's web site.

Try uninstalling the unknown device, unplugging the device and rebooting. Replug when back in Windows.

Be certain that u have the correct drivers grin You may have gotten the wrong CD or a CD with drivers for more than one device on it.

Cleaning up in Safe Mode may be necessary. Unplug all USB devices. Reboot the PC. To enter Safe Mode, press the F8 key repeatedly while restarting the PC. Timing is important. Try to press quickly before the Windows logo screen appears. Pressing and holding the CTRL key may work too. Choose Safe Mode and open Device Manager. In Windows 2000 and XP, click View > Show hidden devices. Now locate all USB devices, HID (Human Interface Devices), USB drives and controllers/hubs. Remove all and save the USB Host Controllers for last. When done, restart and replug USB devices one at a time.

Just remember that you are entitled to support from the device maker. If you can't get help, do not hesitate to return the device. Some manufacturers only seem to respond to lost business. It's a shame, but it's true. Send them a message  that you won't accept shoddy goods or lackluster support.

Let me know the outcome.  Good luck
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by gentleone(f): 3:58pm On Jan 31, 2006
@sbucareer, thanks. the device i'm trying to use is actually an LG flash drive and yes, i'm very sure i'm using the correct driver CD because its the CD that came with the laptop. i think its usb 2.0 cos it has never complained that i'm using a low speed drive for a high speed one but i'm not sure even if its 1.1 or 2.0, the system is not detecting it.
i've tried all the things you suggested, all the devices in device manager are working properly.
the drivers for the usb root huband controller are actually installed automatically from the o/s itself(xp) because when i uninstalled the usb controllers and usb root hub in device manager and restarted the system, it came up with found new hardware and installed everything back itself.
i just finished reinstalling xp again as i said earlier and i'm still installing the drivers. i'm also trying to check if the system is still under warranty so we can just take it to xp.
i'll keep you informed.
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by gentleone(f): 12:14pm On Feb 02, 2006
hi guys, the usb port is still not working o after reinstalling the drivers,i finally took it to hp service centre here in lagos, i'll get the diagnosis result tomorrow. will keep you guys informed.
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by gentleone(f): 1:04pm On Feb 03, 2006
@sbucareer, hp says its the board o, can u imagine! everything was working well xcept usb devices! anyway thats about it sha,cheers.
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by sbucareer(f): 1:37pm On Feb 03, 2006
@gentleone, sorry to hear that.  Anyway shaa, return it if you can and ask for refund/replacement if possible.  If you don't want to go through that just buy external USB that connects through serial port or parallel port.

You can visit xdrive they have fantastic offer on free web space.
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by gentleone(f): 2:16pm On Feb 03, 2006
umm.... thats true, we can actually get a parallel to usb cable instead of a new board.
i'll try it to see if it works n let u know.thanks.
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by daveclarke: 2:48pm On Mar 06, 2006
Hi,

I would like someone to provide me with info regarding a my usb port. I have a H&P laptop 900, it has a USB 1.1 port. The port is recoqnised by Win 98, but when u install XP there in no icon for USB in the device manger and does not detect when i plug in USB decives into the port. Have installed XP many times and there is no improvements. Can this be that I am first copying XP on my hard disk and and then running the XP for installation from my harddisk. I have uploaded WIN service pack 1 and there was no change.

if u can any suggestions plases can you email me on davesmithclarke@yahoo.co.uk

thanx

dave
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by gentleone(f): 11:46am On Mar 07, 2006
but when u install XP there in no icon for USB in the device manger and does not detect when i plug in USB decives into the port.
@david, have you installed the drivers for usb? try using the driver cd that came with the laptop and see if it works.
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by jogego(m): 2:27pm On Mar 08, 2006
If the problem is on the logic board , if you have a PCMIA slot not in use, then get a PCMIA card with usb ports on it. Cheaper way of getting USB rather than buying a new motherboard.
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by gentleone(f): 2:41pm On Mar 08, 2006
@jogego,my boss liked HP's option better so we have a new board now and its working well.
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by kurupt: 7:17am On Dec 23, 2007
may be you have got the wrong driver installed for the usb port if not ,may be you skipped a file while loading the windows so try reloading
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by prince4lif: 3:21pm On Jul 31, 2009
hi , you can learn all you need to know to repair your computer anytime at our fast track training in computer repair and maintenance, it will only cost you N10,500 . Hurry now to book a place, for details check our blog: www.fasttracktraining..com .
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by NobleOnye(f): 6:38pm On Jul 31, 2009
hey!.u either got the wrong installation package. or check if the usb functionality is enabled in the bios, i believe you can go to the bios by clicking F10 aimmediately you power on the system.
Re: USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation by alexjack: 4:24pm On Aug 02, 2011
Clean-up in safe mode may be necessary. Unplug all USB devices. Restart the computer. Safe Mode, repeatedly press the F8 key, restart the computer. Timing is important. Try pressing the Windows logo screen appears quickly.

(1) (Reply)

✈✳✅130k NAIRA CORE i7 HP Elitebook Folio 9470m KEYBOARD LIGHT 8GB RAM 500GB HDD / D.I Printing & I.D Card Printing at Extremely low rate / Airtel Free 1GB Data And 500MB For One Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.