Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:39 AM

What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland (6633 Views)

What Do You Think Of School Reunions? Tell Us Your Experiences. Thanks. / What Course Made You Think Of Your Life Twice In The University / 25 Creative Life Hacks You’d Never Think Of In A Million Years. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by HomerTimpson: 10:05am On Jun 22, 2020
I only have e-problem with the 18-20th century threads that still hangout with the current ones
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by GreaterFuture1(m): 10:46am On Jun 22, 2020
somehow:
I did not say all either. read my post again.
I was not implying that you did, I was Just, you know adding to what you said
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by TheSourcerer: 10:50am On Jun 22, 2020
Millennialaku:

you are the stupid one here. i corrected you and you had to spill this thrash......smh
eat a Corpse

1 Like

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by somehow: 11:22am On Jun 22, 2020
GreaterFuture1:

I was not implying that you did, I was Just, you know adding to what you said

okay
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Gdefo(m): 11:43am On Jun 22, 2020
matrixme:
Do we need to bother ourselves with the thought of pro-white activists and their agenda? Lions don't consider the opinion of sheep. Reddit is not a place where black People's opinion count, so they always look negatively on any black issues. I stopped going there more than 2 years ago and I've never been happier.
At least Nairaland na we-we, so that's all that matters. Many people here have gotten jobs via Nairaland. Many businesses have increased value, money has changed hands via Nairaland and perhaps some may have even secured their life partner here. So who Reddit help? Tell me..

First of all, you calling someone whom you have no proof of, a racist (pro-white activists) only makes you the racist.

2ndly, most of the comments are “so to say” blacks, Nigerians living in the country and diaspora, which validates their eligibility to criticize.

3rdly, to be honest, most of the comments are from a critical stand point and very few personal.

Finally, if you think getting reviews and critics from insiders are best for you/an organization/any platform, then I would say; “ You certainly still have a lot to learn”
Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by jelel6: 12:02pm On Jun 22, 2020
I agree the moderators could do more to clamp down on problematic threads and opinions, but taking the necessary steps to do that is not going to be in the best interest of Seun. And if you can't see that from his perspective business-wise then you're not ready to affect any change.

One of the reasons why the forum thrive is because people could really show their innermost selfs. What you see on Nairaland is a valid representation of the Nigerian mentality and society to a large extent. The changes most of you suggested won't fix the problems, perhaps only hide it.

I think the forum was best when it started. Most of the novel discussions where from that time. And more valuable sections like education, career, programming, etc; saw enough activities. Now, people rather comment on what Chioma wore on Sunday to Davido's rehearsal than on a topic like this.

Whatever you find Nairaland you'll see. You just have to know where to look. I'll only prefer they make less valuable topics, news, and opinions harder to find for the sake of our society.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Austeeenxx: 12:37pm On Jun 22, 2020
I avoid the politics section like a plague. That place is too damn toxic.

1 Like

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Queenyprinxex(f): 12:40pm On Jun 22, 2020
BecaciaBarbie:
Lol funny thing is, those comments are mostly from Nairalanders who act like touts here without constructive arguments but because they are on a foreign forum they tuck in those trashy traits to form like they are guilty of nothing. You all have yourselves to blame and leave Seun out of this.

Thank you Sweetie.

1 Like

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by COOL10(m): 12:42pm On Jun 22, 2020
UncleSnr:

This comment goes on to prove why upvote is needed. Check reddit and quora.

I'm not against Upvotes/Down votes. I just don't like the idea of downvoted posts getting hidden. I've learnt a lot from posts so many people here would find offensive because of their short sightedness.
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by COOL10(m): 12:43pm On Jun 22, 2020
GreaterFuture1:

Yh I think he needs more moderators

Credible ones too.
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Raeheemwayne: 12:43pm On Jun 22, 2020
Their opinions is entirely their headache.
who their opinions even help, or is it because we don't have reddit critics here. They can all go to hell for all I care.
All NL need is an upgrade, not that garbage they spewed up there. I like NL the way it is biko.
Critics can goan chop shit and die.
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by DontBullshitMe: 1:43pm On Jun 22, 2020
If you don't like or appreciate how Nairaland operates, do well to deactivate your account and leave without an option of reconsideration. Potential alternatives include Naijaloaded (hub of plagiarism), Igberetv and many more.

Presently, Nairaland offers priceless value to me that I can not find an alternative to.

Seun Osewa, thank you!
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by etrange: 3:14pm On Jun 22, 2020
Gerrard59:

Blacklisting people who have misogynistic thoughts from any social media medium doesn't eradicate or reduce those beliefs. Rather, it's engaging them via those channels that make them change. You blacklist them and they continue with those beliefs in real life, implying nothing has been changed. You want Nairaland to be like Twitter which has no effect on average Nigerians and cannot effect a change.

Lol... I don't really think NL is any more impactful than Twitter. They don't do the same thing but both perform thier tasks equally well. NL is just an online forum while Twitter is a social networking site, none does the work of the other.

Anyway, that's a deviation. It hasn't always been like this. 10 years ago, we had other issues on NL but sexism wasn't part of them. Misogyny is eating deep on here today because a few started it and others found it fun and joined. Even those who wouldn't flow that way in person come on here to say extremely terrible things against the female gender and no one sees anything wrong with that. I know some are just typing those things to belong but many youngsters out there read Nairaland and these things are impacting thier perception and attitudes towards women. We can engage them for as long as we want but a little effort from the administration of the platform will, at least, let them know it has become a social menace and not just a matter of clashing opinions like our arguments are naturally perceived.

1 Like

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by etrange: 3:19pm On Jun 22, 2020
etrange:

You've said it all. The misogyny is alarming. Boys on here day and night with their "women phobia". Wonder if we're progressing or regressing in this country. Imagine the message they are sending to the lads out there.

So someone went to read my past posts after I posted this just to see if I was being a hypocrite. Lol, that's funny. Glad I stand by my values.
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by matrixme(m): 3:58pm On Jun 22, 2020
Gdefo:

First of all, you calling someone whom you have no proof of, a racist (pro-white activists) only makes you the racist.

2ndly, most of the comments are “so to say” blacks, Nigerians living in the country and diaspora, which validates their eligibility to criticize.

3rdly, to be honest, most of the comments are from a critical stand point and very few personal.

Finally, if you think getting reviews and critics from insiders are best for you/an organization/any platform, then I would say; “ You certainly still have a lot to learn”
Thank you!
Oga, if Reddit is the world's best platform to you, fine. Dey your dey, make we dey our dey. As far as I know, Seen has not forced anyone to be here, not to talk of having an opinion.
It's types like you that ass lick anything white. This is a pro-Nigerian internet forum and we don't have to appologize for being who we are. If anyone isn't satisfied with the service here, let him exit. Period.
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by TRUEBLOOD59(m): 4:16pm On Jun 22, 2020
Lorayne:
Seun.... You really need to do something 'bout the tribalism, bullying and misogynistic comments on this forum.
And atheism.
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Ekemeze: 5:04pm On Jun 22, 2020

2 Likes

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Lorayne(m): 5:15pm On Jun 22, 2020
TRUEBLOOD59:

And atheism.
What's wrong with atheism?

1 Like

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by MrCanceller: 5:26pm On Jun 22, 2020
[s]
Ekemeze:

Oh, thank you, I'll always avoid the psycho
[/s]
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by MrCanceller: 5:28pm On Jun 22, 2020
Lorayne:

What's wrong with atheism?
they are insane.
their brain needs transplant.
I wonder how a reasonable human could be doubting God's existence.
It's so unfortunate that nairaland owner is an atheist cos if I were the owner I'd have banned atheists and their activities on this forum.

TRUEBLOOD59 you're on point cool
uyi168 johnnydon TheSourcerer LordReed and the rest if you're viewing this you better repent
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by LordReed(m): 5:53pm On Jun 22, 2020
MrCanceller:
they are insane.
It's so unfortunate that nairaland owner is an atheist cos if I were the owner I'd have banned atheists and their activities on this forum.

uyi168 johnnydon TheSourcerer LordReed and the rest if you're viewing this you better repent

LMFAO!

[img]https://media./images/9d572cb5d2b3c1484af0d60d9ff324bb/tenor.gif[/img]
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Lorayne(m): 6:10pm On Jun 22, 2020
MrCanceller:
they are insane.

Actually, religious people re the gullible ones. They need the transplant more than us.

1 Like

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Gmajor(m): 6:11pm On Jun 22, 2020
TheSourcerer:
It's True, I'm a ververt Redditor

Why haven't you discovered dark mode?
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Lorayne(m): 6:11pm On Jun 22, 2020

1 Like

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Gmajor(m): 6:13pm On Jun 22, 2020
matrixme:
Do we need to bother ourselves with the thought of pro-white activists and their agenda? Lions don't consider the opinion of sheep. Reddit is not a place where black People's opinion count, so they always look negatively on any black issues. I stopped going there more than 2 years ago and I've never been happier.
At least Nairaland na we-we, so that's all that matters. Many people here have gotten jobs via Nairaland. Many businesses have increased value, money has changed hands via Nairaland and perhaps some may have even secured their life partner here. So who Reddit help? Tell me..

Dey dia make pant dey wear you.
It's people like you who celebrate stagnancy.
Nairaland could be doing a lot of things to be better, but I guess Seun also has this type of mindset

2 Likes

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Gmajor(m): 6:15pm On Jun 22, 2020
meobizy:
Just recognize this platform for what it is: a hotbed of ignorance. With that out of the way there's nothing children here can do which will affect your existence.

Oyibo people can also be ignorant, but the way reddit is structured and managed, it tends to reduce the type of stupidity that runs rampant here.

1 Like

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Gmajor(m): 6:21pm On Jun 22, 2020
UncleSnr:

You don't need to remove any section, I advice Seun to upgrade Nairaland to function with upvote and downvote just like reddit, post with -ve reviews/downvotes gets hidden automatically, then use Machine Learning for frontpage, thereby reducing the load on mods and giving people recent contents related to their interest.

Update:

Here is a thread on NL redesign by a member www.nairaland.com/5034453/nairaland-redesign-whats-take

Using such design template, he will include night mode.

He doesn't need to run it at once, he can make it in beta mode for a while, then launch it fully later, he will also retain the old view by linking users to it.

It is not easy, but with money he can achieve it.

Nairaland look OK on mobile but is a total eyesore on desktop.
From the little I've read about Seun, he is quite tech savvy, yet, from the way he runs Nairaland, you would think that this website is owned by a 60-70 year old.
In my almost 10 years of using Nairaland, there has been very little improvement or upgrades.
There is a lot that can be done to improve the UI and user experience, but he is just aloof and passive. Maybe he has the "if it's not broke don't fix it attitude".

1 Like

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Gmajor(m): 6:27pm On Jun 22, 2020
COOL10:

Upvotes/Downvotes shouldn't be used as yardsticks to determine posts credibility/visibility. If things are done that way,then there would be lots of deleted important posts just because they didn't sit well with the public.

On reddit, downvoted comments are not deleted, you just have to scroll down before you see it and i think Nairaland really needs something like this.

Just go to the front page, you will find out that the first few comments on most threads are incredibly nonsensical.
Things like people booking space, talking off point or offering something for sale.
If there is a downvote button, these types of comments will go down and more insightful comments will be on the top.

1 Like

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by Gmajor(m): 6:31pm On Jun 22, 2020
josh2297:
D 'search' should be seriously upgraded...itz present state is a disgrace to technology

As in eh.
When. I want to. Search for. Something on Nairaland, I just type it in Google. Nairaland search finds it very difficult to handle more than a single word

2 Likes

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by TheSourcerer: 7:12pm On Jun 22, 2020
MrCanceller:
they are insane.

sir you repent because raganrok is at hand and if you don't believe Thor loves you as his father does then you are going to be forever damned ,*that's how you sound like *

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by taiocol: 7:16pm On Jun 22, 2020
Father's day discount still available

Shop @wallframebystenz for luxury wall frames at affordable rates
Available in
16 x 24 inches #18,000
20 x 30 inches #23,000
24 x 36 inches #28,000
DM let's do business

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11782700_img20200622133355540_jpegb33003b7d4de9e4932e8aad4c244c066
Re: What Some Redditors Think Of Nairaland by COOL10(m): 7:32pm On Jun 22, 2020
Gmajor:

On reddit, downvoted comments are not deleted, you just have to scroll down before you see it and i think Nairaland really needs something like this.

Just go to the front page, you will find out that the first few comments on most threads are incredibly nonsensical .
Things like people booking space, talking off point or offering something for sale.
If there is a downvote button, these types of comments will go down and more insightful comments will be on the top.

Lol,nairalanders are just something else.

Now this method makes more sense but my point still remains that Nigerians would vote based on emotions rather than logic and even though it'll aid in filtering out the bad posts,some good posts will also get segregated.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands / Help: My Fellow Guy Wants To Sleep With Because Of This / Police Storms Alcohol-inspired Secondary School Students Sex Orgy Party (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.