Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,520 members, 7,801,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:41 PM

Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. (43421 Views)

Mmesoma Ejikeme Apologises To JAMB / Mmesoma's Father, Romanus Ejikeme Apologises To Nigerians, JAMB / Chidera Dilibe Emerges COOU Best Graduating Student Of Pharmacy With 4.62 CGPA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by grandstar(m): 7:46pm On Jun 23, 2020
koning:

He dropped out. Never completed at Eton. Besides do you expect me to believe a Nigeria blog over Yahoo news?. You are quoting a Naija blog. My man get serious.

His father was murdered during the 1966 coup. That may explain why he did not finish.
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Adeedris(m): 7:47pm On Jun 23, 2020
saggis:

Could be. But Ikemba was the richest, drove a Rolls royce at Oxford. Anyway, na the same Eastern region. Udo Udoma is very much Igboid.

All in all, Igbo Amaka still.

The amalgamation that formed Nigeria was a big mistake. Ethnic/Religion sentiment is deeply rooted within us, especially the Hausas, Fulani and Igbos. It's only in Nigeria you'll hear statements like "since the president is a Christian, the vice should be a Muslim" and all that crap. Why can't we forget about the differences between us? There can't be. No! There can't.

The civil war began because The soldiers of Eastern extraction killed the Premiers of other regions and left their Azikiwe, prompting an outrage and massacre of igbos in the North and eventually, the civil war, now the Igbos are crying foul over what they started.

If we can't drop 'my religion first' or 'my ethnic first' agenda and do things based on merit, we are not going anywhere because there will always be a sabotage of the efforts of those who mean well for the country.
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jun 23, 2020
saggis:

Could be. But Ikemba was the richest, drove a Rolls royce at Oxford. Anyway, na the same Eastern region. Udo Udoma is very much Igboid.

All in all, Igbo Amaka still.
Lol Udo Udoma is 150% Ibibio

2 Likes

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Ikennamurphy: 7:48pm On Jun 23, 2020
oyatz:
Very wrong sir.

Arochukwu, Bende and most parts of Ngwaland were formerly Ibiobio.

Ibiobio didn't originate from Igbo rather many Igbos today originated from Ibiobio.

Hallucinations..where are your facts ..beer parlor gist

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jun 23, 2020
saggis:

Igbo extention. Was he not a Judge or even Chief Judge in Biafra? just asking.
Wetin be Igbo extension?
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Ikennamurphy: 7:49pm On Jun 23, 2020
slam7000:

Are you sure about this? I heard lots of folk tales about Onyeama na Eke.

About Dilibe Onyeama, I’ve met this man at New Haven Enugu. I think he lived or is still living at Byron Onyeama close...he kept to himself, introverted. I knew he was smart but didn’t know he attended Eton.
That's not the Eke man..I think this one is Anambrarian
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jun 23, 2020
sageb:
sir udo udoma is an Ibibio man from Akwa Ibom. Is that too difficult for you to understand? Blackking98 , Ilaumoh , Hotice085 , ifiokjohn come and see.
Kuboro anye. Ndisime mkpo

1 Like

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Emmanuelcann: 7:51pm On Jun 23, 2020
SmartyPants:

So last last he us still right in saying you are one.
Nope. To the contrary the implication is that some Igbos originated from Ibibio!
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by sleekdre: 7:51pm On Jun 23, 2020
Throwback:

Not so fast clansman.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53062502

https://www.nytimes.com/1964/04/30/archives/first-negro-to-attend-eton-arrives-from-west-nigeria.html

The first Black student at Eton college was Tokunbo Akintola in April 1964, son of SLA Akintola the then Premier of Western Nigeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQPm0iDhTUM

The First Black student at Oxford University was a Creole from Siera Leone, Christian Cole in 1873.

The first Nigerian to attend Oxford was the first Black woman to attend the School and graduate in 1935, Kofoworola Ademola (nee Moore), the daughter of Eric Olawolu Moore and later wife of Sir Adetokunbo Ademola, the first Nigerian Chief Justice of the Supreme court.

So how does an Ojukwu that graduated from Oxford in 1955, become the first Black/African at Oxford?

This must be IPOB Bureau of Statistics as usual.

From same source you quoted you left out this information:

"Akintola left Eton after about two years and so Onyeama became the first black person to complete his education at the prestigious school."
You people should fear God!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Kaylet: 7:52pm On Jun 23, 2020
Igboid:

As long as he isn't a Yoruba man.
I don't think Ndiigbo cares. grin

You're slave to human race. I'm sure you've nothing to offer in your lineage. If you do, you'll not come up with tribalism.

I stand for unity, here in my home land and Africa as whole.

We all need to unite, nevertheless, that doesn't stop us from disintegrating the country.

1 Like

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jun 23, 2020
koning:

Ibibio clan is an extention of the Arochukwu clan. They are migrants from Arochukwu. One does not have to originate from core Igbo states to be Igbo. The entire old Esatern region is Igboid.
Who do you this thing?
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by safarigirl(f): 7:54pm On Jun 23, 2020
sageb:
the defunct eastern region is no longer used in today's political terrain. face the reality, Akwa Ibom is in the south south Zone. You guys like unnecessary attachment.

South south is a Geo-Political entity, not a Geographical entity.

The South South, is geographically located in the East.

We should learn the difference between geographical and geo-political, a lot of Nigerians are ignorant of the terms and bandy south-south about, as if it can be located on any compass.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by DexterousOne(m): 7:54pm On Jun 23, 2020
Even tbos thread is now turned as am excuse for tribal chest beating?

Just look at supposed sensible citizens undecided
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Nwaotu10(m): 7:55pm On Jun 23, 2020
Igbo Amaka

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by grandstar(m): 7:56pm On Jun 23, 2020
oyatz:
Beyond tribal issues, there's one thing I notice from this story and similar stories which I think we should be discussing;

Most Nigerians who studied in the best British or American Schools don't necessarily become the most successful Nigerians in their chosen career or in life generally.
They seems not necessarily more successful than Nigerians who schooled at Government College, Umuahia or Ilesha Grammar School.

Does anyone has explanations for this observation?

Don't easily write them off! If Onyeana could write a book at 18, it shows the benefit of attending such a school.

Also, a school is not an island. Graduates of such colleges may do better if they lived in the UK where they can network for instance. Also, the uni they attend and their personal drive count
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by MoIbrahim: 7:56pm On Jun 23, 2020
proeast:
Abeg no vex but I wan ask this question wey dey bother me since, na only Igbos Waka come?
No, na only Igbo waka go.
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Kaylet: 7:57pm On Jun 23, 2020
Please, let's start seeing everyone as brothers and sisters.

Let's all learn to let go of the past, if we keep bringing up things of the past. We won't achieve anything.

No true patriotic citizen is happy about the state of the country..

Let's work together.
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by segunoluomoofte(m): 7:57pm On Jun 23, 2020
Do you need cars from USA hit me up 4439415330
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Throwback: 7:58pm On Jun 23, 2020
koning:
First black/African man at Oxford = Emeka Ojukwu

First balck man in Eton College = Dilibe Onyeama.

Conclusion = IGBO AMAKA. Putting Nigeria and africa on the map since 1845.

Mod, do the needed. The world need to know.

joey150:

This is a blind and nasty argument. The story succinctly says the first black person to successfully complete their studies at Eton College and not the first to enroll.

Going by your unwarranted clout-chasing, of what use is the first person to 'physically' enroll in a school and then 'spiritually' not graduate?

For all I care, it's a needless argument. The main point of the story was to apologise for the racial prejudice. Shun tribal bigotry of any kind. The white man is apologizing to the black man, and yet the black man has turned it into a tribalism bashing contest. Oh what an irony!

zeusdgrt:

Oga professor when dey in charge say the man is the first,u wen dey here dey argue ontop keyboard for school wen u never smell grin

nanauju:

Ur own must be Lagos-ibadan expressway media like they often call u people.
So u now know the history of the school more than the head teacher that called onyeama the first black student.. Lol

U better calm down, don't give yourself unnecessary hbp

sleekdre:

From same source you quoted you left out this information:

"Akintola left Eton after about two years and so Onyeama became the first black person to complete his education at the prestigious school."
You people should fear God!

My post which you all quoted was in response to the false claims the OP Koning made in his later post as seen bolded above. It was not a response to his original post which is factual that Dilibe Onyeama was the 1st black to graduate at Eton.

What is a blatant lie is that Dilibe Onyeama was the first Black in Eton. That glory goes to Tokunbo Akintola who passed the exam that Dilibe failed, allowing Akintola to take the glory that should have been jointly shared by both if Dilibe had passed and enrolled at the same time Tokunbo Akintola did.

As for Tokunbo Akintola not finishing there, we all know his father was killed in the January 1966 coup which ensured the 2 boys never became friends since the killers of SLA Akintola were from the same tribe as Dilibe Onyeama.

Also, the claim that Emeka Ojukwu who graduated from Oxford in 1955 was the first Black man and Nigerian in Oxford, is belied by verifiable fact that Christian Cole from Sierra Leone was the first Black/African man at Oxford in 1873, while Kofoworola Ademola (nee Moore) was the first Black/African woman and the first ever Nigerian at Oxford university, and she graduated in 1935 when Emeka Ojukwu was yet to be 2yrs old.

So next time, implore the OP Koning to not embellish the facts of a matter by adding lies to the truth.

The truth is never nasty or blind, and does not need to fear God.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by nanauju(f): 7:58pm On Jun 23, 2020
Throwback:

Not so fast clansman.

https://www.nytimes.com/1964/04/30/archives/first-negro-to-attend-eton-arrives-from-west-nigeria.html

The first Black student at Eton college was Tokunbo Akintola in April 1964, son of SLA Akintola the then Premier of Western Nigeria.

The First Black student at Oxford University was a Creole from Siera Leone, Christian Cole in 1873.

The first Nigerian to attend Oxford was the first Black woman to attend the School and graduate in 1935, Kofoworola Ademola (nee Moore), the daughter of Eric Olawolu Moore and later wife of Sir Adetokunbo Ademola, the first Nigerian Chief Justice of the Supreme court.

So how does an Ojukwu that graduated from Oxford in 1955, become the first Black/African at Oxford?

Ur own must be Lagos-ibadan expressway media like they often call u people.
So u now know the history of the school more than the head teacher that called onyeama the first black student.. Lol

U better calm down, don't give yourself unnecessary hbp

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Kidakudz5: 8:01pm On Jun 23, 2020
Throwback:

Not so fast clansman.

lmao

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by grandstar(m): 8:01pm On Jun 23, 2020
okoroemeka:
All white people are hardwired to view black vpeople as inferior and more related to monkeys and apes than human beings,the few that shows tolerance don't have any option but deep in their hearts they loath black people,we don't need any apologies from them,after all what respect did you expect from a race the captured,raped,killed and sold us like Christmas goats,as long as the black man lives he will always be hated by the white man

What you wrote here can't be backed up facts. It is ignorant and insultive.
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by bigcasava1(m): 8:03pm On Jun 23, 2020
proeast:
Abeg no vex but I wan ask this question wey dey bother me since, na only Igbos Waka come?
now u believe it that Igbo originated from Israel that is why they are scared of us
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by StTrump: 8:04pm On Jun 23, 2020
The igbo man is a Fool and the yoruba man is a Fool.
if you mention me you die in your sleep this night.
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by bigcasava1(m): 8:05pm On Jun 23, 2020
Nigeriabiafra80:
Imagine as far as ages
And some here are claiming most educated
political most educated only in Nigeria
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by sexylassie2(f): 8:08pm On Jun 23, 2020
They apologise, and then what?

How will this stop real racism

pls somebody tell me
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by greenskittles: 8:09pm On Jun 23, 2020
I don't know how a story about racism against blacks as a whole turned to a battle of supremacy between different ethnicities, I honestly hate nairaland for this

1 Like

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by rapid101(m): 8:12pm On Jun 23, 2020
saggis:

Igbo extention. Was he not a Judge or even Chief Judge in Biafra? just asking.
stop confusing ur self
he is not Igbo simple
watin u still de argue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by favour32(m): 8:14pm On Jun 23, 2020
Yes!
I mentioned this creative writer in a previous article on this platform;
"public figure in Nigeria you still respect dead or alive"
With one of his greatest novels,Juju,one can hardly ask for more intrigues and suspense!
Dilibe Onyeama is an icon to remember.
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by koning: 8:15pm On Jun 23, 2020
slam7000:

Are you sure about this? I heard lots of folk tales about Onyeama na Eke.

About Dilibe Onyeama, I’ve met this man at New Haven Enugu. I think he lived or is still living at Byron Onyeama close...he kept to himself, introverted. I knew he was smart but didn’t know he attended Eton.

Yes. He still lives at New-Heaven, Enugu. Super introverted. He is from the Onyeama clan in Eke- Enugu state. Family is well known in the New Heaven axis of Enugu.
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by spinna: 8:17pm On Jun 23, 2020
Yep read the book. Nigger in Eton i think it was called.
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by koning: 8:20pm On Jun 23, 2020
DatAbujaBoy:
Obote man, who ask you??
As if they allow you and your Ibibio. You can face Hausa man squely

Pls you need come to the north and see things to yourself.
Here there is nothing like south south or niger delta
All they know is you are all Igbos
Reasons Igbos keeps suffering from the sins of all southerners and you are there claiming Ibibio man. Nonsense

No mind them. To the average Hausa man in Sokoto or Gombe, every other Nigerian who is not Yoruba is Igbo. They do not acknowledge the South South or Niger Delta. The East is what they know.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Our Boys Woo All With Benz On Campus / Begging Classmates For Food In Primary/Secondary Schools (Pic) / Odufu Regina Ohutu, BSU Student Dies Shortly After Receiving Whatsapp Video Call

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.