Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:18 PM

NPL Wins Case Against Globacom - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / NPL Wins Case Against Globacom (1873 Views)

Supersport Heads North For Live Npl Games / Ahmed Musa, the NPL Top Scorer, Is Just 17 / Nigerian Premier League (NPL) Top Scorer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by honeric01(m): 5:35pm On Jan 28, 2011
[size=18pt]NPL wins case against Globacom[/size]

Posted: 2011-01-27 21:12

A Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered Globacom to pay the Nigeria Premier League it's outstanding sponsorship fee from the final year of their contract.

The League organising body was forced to head for the courts after the telecommunications firm defaulted on their sponsorship commitment.

Attempts by new NPL chairman Davidson Owumi to have the issue resolved yielded no fruit and the they we forced to take the matter to court.

In his judgement at the court on Thursday afternoon, Justice Olasuyi Olateru-Olagbegi, ordered Globacom to pay up the contract fee of the 2009/2010 season owed NPL.

The judgement means that Globacom will pay up the sum of N922,383,000 for last season's fee for the title sponsorship rights of the Premier League in Nigeria.

Globacom's defense for their refusal to pay was based on alleged corruption at the NPL, but the judge was left unimpressed, according to NPL counsel Emmanuel Oboh.

“The judge didn't entertain their prayer on the issue of corruption for breaching a contract since that cannot stand in this situation and was not an issue of objection,” Oboh said.

The NPL has been in the High Court in Lagos since March 9, 2010 challenging Globacom Nigeria Limited for breach of contract before it won the case on Thursday.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/19922/nigeria-premier-league-wins-case-against-globacom.php
Re: NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by honeric01(m): 5:40pm On Jan 28, 2011
Glo, you are the enemy of Nigerian league progress, PAY UP or SHUT up. angry
Re: NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by semid4lyfe(m): 6:37pm On Jan 28, 2011
GLO amazes me sha. They have made it known on numerous occasions that they did not get any benefits from sponsorship of the league and yet they're fighting tooth and nail with MTN to get the NPL sponsorship rights OR is it just a case of they don't like losing anything to MTN (their bigger rival)? undecided

Knowing GLO, I expect them to appeal this ruling at a higher court. Make I just siddon they look jejely
Re: NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by honeric01(m): 7:08pm On Jan 28, 2011
They cannot do anything about the case, they are at fault.
Re: NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by sylve11: 2:14pm On Feb 02, 2011
eyaaa see as i dey pity glo cool
Re: NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by DisGuy: 2:18pm On Feb 02, 2011
honeric01:

Glo, you are the enemy of Nigerian league progress, PAY UP or SHUT up. angry

hmm some years ago, some people here were saying how Glo is a better option to 'thieving' MTN, that we should support our incompetent own,
Honeric007 are you sure you are not one of them?  cheesy

Glo is also owing the Lagos Half marathon organisers and they have refused to allow them get other sponsors

I'm sure they will appeal then settle through the presidency- that's the way of Glo and NFF
Re: NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by proflynks1(m): 2:45pm On Feb 02, 2011
shocked shocked
Re: NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by Bright2(m): 5:36pm On Feb 02, 2011
cut your coat according to your size,i think it's cheaper. wink
Re: NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by tlops(m): 6:01pm On Feb 02, 2011
The decision made sense since GLO is not part of the management.
Re: NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by honeric01(m): 10:22pm On Feb 02, 2011
Dis Guy:

hmm some years ago, some people here were saying how Glo is a better option to 'thieving' MTN, that we should support our incompetent own,
Honeric007 are you sure you are not one of them?  cheesy

Was i? undecided
Re: NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by semid4lyfe(m): 10:29pm On Feb 02, 2011
Lol @ Honeric007 grin grin grin

Im dey form memory loss now
Re: NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by Reference(m): 12:36am On Feb 03, 2011
Nigerian businesses and their unethical behaviour. That is why they all fly at low altitude and cannot compete internationally or transit generations. Always seeking to cheat, irresponsible racoons. They expect full pay for their services and cannot reiprocate. Our own indeed, just check out what MTN is doing with our money in South Africa, see what DSTV is doing.

What are our companies doing with their loot, funding politics to avoid responsibilities. Useless, rotten lot.

Tomorrow we say aliens are raiding our tills. Why not.
Re: NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by honeric01(m): 12:45am On Feb 03, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Lol @ Honeric007 grin grin grin

Im dey form memory loss now

Abeg remind me.
Re: NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by ENZOSCIFO1: 2:16pm On Feb 03, 2011
Reference:

Nigerian businesses and their unethical behaviour. That is why they all fly at low altitude and cannot compete internationally or transit generations. Always seeking to cheat, irresponsible racoons. They expect full pay for their services and cannot reiprocate. Our own indeed, just check out what MTN is doing with our money in South Africa, see what DSTV is doing.

What are our companies doing with their loot, funding politics to avoid responsibilities. Useless, rotten lot.

Tomorrow we say aliens are raiding our tills. Why not

Classic. Hat's off for you man. cheesy
Re: NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by ENZOSCIFO1: 2:17pm On Feb 03, 2011
^^^^ Hats off to u ( i meant)
Re: NPL Wins Case Against Globacom by showvic(m): 10:12am On Feb 04, 2011
that what you have with all these big corporations, they feel they can ride over any one

(1) (Reply)

WWE Wrestlemania 29 Results: Winners, WWE Fans Of Nairaland / Keshi Dumps Super Eagles,signs Two Year Contract With South Africa / Mikel Vs Martins Who Is Richer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.