Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,851 members, 7,806,401 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Man Sues Nigerian Army For N1 Billion - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Man Sues Nigerian Army For N1 Billion (249 Views)

Man Slumps And Dies During Nigerian Army Screening In Akwa-Ibom (Photos) / Indian Man Buys N1.5M Gold Face-Mask To Save Him From Coronavirus (Photos) / Ernest Izevbigie Sues Nigerian Breweries For Misleading People About Malt Drink (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Sues Nigerian Army For N1 Billion by Aboks(m): 6:57am On Jun 25, 2020
Emmanuel Madubuezi, a student, who was shot by a soldier has sued the Nigerian Army for N1bn for losing his leg after being shot.

Madubuezi, through his lawyer, Temitope Akinyode, filed a suit before the Federal High Court, Port Harcourt, on Tuesday with defendants in the suit including the Chief of Army Staff, the Attorney General of the Federation, and a betting company, Bet9ja.

Madubuezi, then a student of the Port Harcourt Polytechnic, was hit by the bullet while seated in a tricycle on his way to school, with the bullet piercing through his left leg.

An elderly woman seated next to him was also hit by another bullet with the impact making the elderly woman fall out of the tricycle leading to her death.

In the case, suit number: FHC/PH/FHR/118/2020, the applicant is asking the court to declare that the gunshot fired at him and the amputation of his leg contravene his fundamental human right to life, human dignity and freedom of movement.

In a supporting affidavit, the applicant said he had been confined to crutches since the incident happened, Punch reports.

Madubuezi said, “Since the amputation of my leg I have been condemned to walking on crutches. But for the sound medical treatment that I received, the gunshots which the officers and agents of the respondents fired at me on September 14, 2017, could have led to my death just as the same bullets killed the woman who sat beside me in the tricycle.”

Earlier in the year, the Army had rejected Madubuezi’s request to be paid N150m as damages.

In the letter with reference number AHQ DCMA/G1/300/130 signed by Brig. Gen Emmanuel Aladeniyi, on behalf of the Chief of Army Staff, the army authorities said the soldier who shot Madubuezi had been charged.

The Army, therefore, stated that it could not be held liable for the action of an errant soldier.

Narrating what transpired, the army said a soldier, Corporal Augustine Jacob, and 11 soldiers were deployed to Stalling Oil Company to provide protection for a property.

It said one Mr Amadi illegally procured the services of Corporal Jacob and four other soldiers to settle a fracas at his Bet9ja shop at Big Tree Market in Port Harcourt.

The army said on arrival at the Bet9ja office, the corporal went upstairs while the others remained downstairs and it was at this point that a bullet was released from one of the soldiers downstairs.

It said an investigation revealed that the action of the soldier who mistakenly pulled the trigger resulted in the shooting of Madubuezi.

The victim was subsequently taken to Life Fort Hospital but could not be admitted due to limited bed space and then to Braithwaite and Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital before his leg was amputated at Holy Trinity Hospital on September 25, 2017.
Re: Man Sues Nigerian Army For N1 Billion by Skyfornia(m): 7:04am On Jun 25, 2020
Why carry a bullet or even a gun to settle a small civil matter? This people in uniform keep killing innocent Nigerians daily with their guns and nothing serious has been done. No amount of money will bring back the dead woman or replace this man's leg. The cruelty of the Nigerian soldiers and police is alarming. Buhari why!?
Re: Man Sues Nigerian Army For N1 Billion by Obidon1(m): 7:17am On Jun 25, 2020
Let them pay the guy the money
Re: Man Sues Nigerian Army For N1 Billion by hidhrhis(m): 10:29am On Jun 25, 2020
Nice one
Let them pay the guy money
You can't destroy someone and expect to go Scot free
Who does that

(1) (Reply)

Please Guys What Can I Do To Lose Weight??? / Skin Issue / Good News: Finally Emerge On Coronavirus Vaccine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.