Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:14 AM

Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate (25355 Views)

Self-taught Programmers / How Did You Land You First Job As A Self-taught Developer? / Why Self Taught Programmers Over “Exaggerate”. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Nobody: 9:02am On Jun 28, 2020
ediko5:

You have a good point.
I think the OP made the comparism between graduates of CS from a good university and a self taught.

But seriously, CS knowledge from most Nigerian universities is a joke.
exactly
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Nobody: 9:06am On Jun 28, 2020
Psoul:

Of someone can learn what took you 5 years in 3 months, why should u be angry about it. And why don't u think the person will be so excited about what he learned within a very short time.

Whether 5yrs or 3mnths, the bottom line is bn good at what u after doing.

Computer applications are more of a technical thing. If you're more of a person who is naturally endowed with technical things, you'll learn computer stuff beyond what u are taught in class.
I'm not angry. But don't you think you're over exaggerating , you're saying you can finish a cs degree in 3 months?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Daejoyoung: 9:07am On Jun 28, 2020
At the end of the day, the CS graduate chose computer science in order to build applications or softwares in majority of cases.

If people can learn how to build these applications and softwares from the internet in 6 months to 1 year, while a graduate in cs who spent 4 years in the university still knows nothing, then I think we have to redefine our system of education today.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by LordPherule(m): 9:08am On Jun 28, 2020
dataquest.io

jackyraw09:

Don’t use books or courses that teach u just basics such as computing arithmetic operation using python etc. they are a waste of time and you might get bored quickly or have a false confidence in your abilities.

I Been there also, better to start learning with a hands-on approach where u solve actual problems while learning.

Use this website to learn the basics: tutorialspoint.com

As for real python coding, use : ‘automate the boring stuff’ - just google it.

And remember, once u start, you don’t stop(you learn new things always), coding is for life not only a temporary means of putting food on your table.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Daejoyoung: 9:09am On Jun 28, 2020
ARCHEMEDESME:

I'm not angry. But don't you think you're over exaggerating , you're saying you can finish a cs degree in 3 months?
You can finish what you need to know in many cases, and what is important for the IT job you want in 3 months.
For example if I need a frontend job only, all I need to get an entry level position is Html, css, and javascript. I don't need a computer science degree for all these at first, if that's all the job requires for entry level.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by iamwhat: 9:11am On Jun 28, 2020
Anonime1105:
You already said it,
CS degree += Programming

I guess the reason might not be far fetched from the fact that you can learn everything you learnt while studying for a CS degree outside a University, it might take more time but you can definitely learn everything outside a university setting.

So you don't necessarily need a CS degree to become a "Software Engineer"

You're wrong... Have you seen a CS curriculum ?
Do you know Software Engineering is just a branch in CS ?
Do you know Software Engineering is a Degree program on its own ?
Do you know that a Software Engineer is different from a computer programmer ?
Do you know you don't even need to be a Programmer as a computer science degree holder ?
Do you know there's a difference between Technician and a Professional ?
In conclusion, Self Taught Programmer are like Road side mechanic against a Mechanical Engineer, SIMPLE.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by iamwhat: 9:13am On Jun 28, 2020
Daejoyoung:

You can finish what you need to know in many cases, and what is important for the IT job you want in 3 months.
You talk like Oshiomole, even Osho Baba talks more sense than you..... Why don't you finish it in 3 days?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by ibiso1986: 9:14am On Jun 28, 2020
wwwtortoise:

Greetings Sir !

Please recommend a user-friendly online platform where I can learn Python for free.

I used codecademy but the free version is limited to only the intro and basics.

PS: I am presently doing my NYSC and eagerly want to learn programming.

Regards.

https://online-learning.harvard.edu/catalog
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 28, 2020
Microwhy:

Good to hear..
Reverse engineering is an invention in itself. All we have around is modifications, so if you can analyse how a particular system is being put together, it is very easy to modify and improve its output..
Cyber security is a good niche I became interested when i followed Edward Snowdon case but its too late for me to dive in.
Embedded system and cyber physical system is my thing but Nigeria is making it difficult to work privately.
Its hard to get almost everything you need without ordering from abroad. Getting a good PCB company to print out your sketch work is also something else.
Covid-19 is truly a eye opener.

I started with micro-controllers, dumping chips firmware and creating patched data to be rewritten mostly via test-point. Sometimes had to get manufacturer blueprint to look for pinout and sometimes it was apian way. I was a member of a mobile phone repair hardware device team. Modifying boot-loaders, language packs, lock areas. trust me the fun starts once you know what u doing. I could unpack an exe packed with themida and play with the source. Truecript was my nightmare as of then.

The days when coders protected their hardwork with smartcards yet we created emulators to hoodwink the softs, then came server based authentications. We still could create fake servers, they started exchanging keys periodically hahaha still .... so much is to be explored, No end.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Crvrider: 9:17am On Jun 28, 2020
All I am doing is to twist your brain that programming is just a small part of computing science.

Am amazed that you will say that. Software engineering is a small part of computer science, really?

Software engineering is a specialization within the computer science spectrum. More like the same way you have medicine and its subsets of specialization.

I would consider it an integral part of computer science and not a small part.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Daejoyoung: 9:18am On Jun 28, 2020
iamwhat:

You talk like Oshiomole, even Osho Baba talks more sense than you..... Why don't you finish it in 3 days?
I have seen job adverts that require only experience in Html, css,and javascript to break in. Are you telling me I have to spend 4 years studying cs in the University to know these things?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 28, 2020
Daejoyoung:

For example if I need a frontend job only, all I need to get an entry level position is Html, css, and javascript. I don't need a computer science degree for all these at first, if that's all the job requires for entry level.
ok , now you made your point more clear
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 28, 2020
ARCHEMEDESME:

Don't you think you're generalizing . Are you saying that all CS students are not passionate and enthusiastic about computer science

I can generalise on self-taught programmers but can't do same for CS students. I'm an engineering student who has helped students from the so-called CS department with projects. Truthfully speaking, you'll see among them those who have passion for their course and know exactly what they are doing. But many of them just can't find their bearing and I'm afraid they will never find it.

Well, this phenomenon is universal, those who naturally derive pleasure in what they are doing do far better than those who do it because they have to do it. I'm a good example of this, studying engineering for 5 years didn't convince me enough to love my course, though I'm doing well academically and that's because I just hate failure, I have failed too much in the past and I decided that I'm not failing again.

Industrial Training I did at my 4th year actually revealed my strength and weekness, I only go to my place of attachment for maximum of 3 times a week, weeks that I would go just once are numerous, I only loved to be with my computer and learn new thing in ICT. Then I decided that I have nothing to do with my certificate after my graduation, I found what I want to do with my life already and I'm staying with it. That's the gift passion gave me.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Teejay13(m): 9:26am On Jun 28, 2020
If not for the fact that our educational system is f***** i might agree with you that a cs graduate is better than a back end programmer.

In our educational institutions we seems to focus more on theory rather than practical.

Until our educational space is been reformed, we will continue to graduate quacked cs.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by GoodBoi1(m): 9:26am On Jun 28, 2020
Computer science degree is good but the demands of the industry does not really align to what you learnt in school. Outside school, it is about delivering solutions that solve problems. Anyone with a quantitative background with determination can do fine too. Whether you learnt computer science or it's aspects in school or outside it will still boil down to self education. Reading the post of some computer scientists here I doubt if they have ever had a job in the real world. Besides, you can learn whatever you need to learn about computer science outside school. Here is even a full free computer science curriculum online, better than what is taught in Nigerian universities

https://github.com/ossu/computer-science

Having a cs degree does not mean you know it all, you will still have to specialize and keep learning too. Computer science overlaps with other quantitative courses so a cs degree is not the only way

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Crvrider: 9:27am On Jun 28, 2020
Ausrichie:

Common programmers learn data structures and algorithms too oh. Even complexity of algorithms, but what annoys me about these "developers" is their extreme dependence on other people's libraries, if it has a bug how the hell are you going to fix it. By the way do you watch Bleach.

Why reinvent the wheel! If it works why change it? But of cause you can do some modification to suite your purpose.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Felicity0001: 9:30am On Jun 28, 2020
ARCHEMEDESME:

yea but it becomes annoying when someone who attends a 3 months bootcamp thinks they know it all
In that note let me make u more annoy.

Why do I need to go spend 4-5yrs in university just to become a software engineer which I can as well learn as a vocational skill?

Most CS jobs don't need a certificate to get, rather it's base on what you can do especially in this present dispentiation the corona pandemic has brought us to, now most CS jobs are source, done, delivered and paid online for.

You dont need to go through the walls an institution to acquire knowledge to build a computer, code, design a web, graphic or any of its relations. All of these can be learnt as skills and not necessarily a degree.

Had our tertiary institutions been producing graduates with competent skills in this acts then one would agreed to the relevants of her certificate but the reverse is the case here where graduates of CS have to still gone learn the bases from online, tutorials or paid professionals before knowing the ABC-Z, so if you agree to this why then would you want to go through the long lane??

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by ProfAmaben(m): 9:31am On Jun 28, 2020
A degree is just a piece of paper. Even you that studied CS, what did you build as your project without using Google or other online resources? Lemme tell you, someone that took a Fullstack development course on Udemy and practice for a year would do better than someone that studied CS with major in Web development. CS has other departments like networking and I challenge you to bring the best CS student in your class to challenge a third class Geography student I know that has courses in Cisco, NIT, 3 Coursera courses, and 2 Udemy courses in networking. He's currently with an Israeli firm in Abuja teaching Networking to CS graduates.

There's no overexaggeration, CS graduates don't own the computer or software world, anyone that has a good logical reasoning and patience plus determination would excel. Keep your paper somewhere and build your skill, keep building and building. I am a living testimony of the fact that you don't need a CS Degree to talk to computers, all you need is the right resource, time, lots of sacrifice on personal and financial levels to excel.

This is Sunday and I've been in the office since on Friday due to free internet and light smiley, coding and coding and coding.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Microwhy: 9:33am On Jun 28, 2020
illitrate:

I started with micro-controllers, dumping chips firmware and creating patched data to be rewritten mostly via test-point. Sometimes had to get manufacturer blueprint to look for pinout and sometimes it was apian way. I was a member of a mobile phone repair hardware device team. Modifying boot-loaders, language packs, lock areas. trust me the fun starts once you know what u doing. I could unpack an exe packed with themida and play with the source. Truecript was my nightmare as of then.

The days when coders protected their hardwork with smarcards yet we created emulators to hoodwink the softs, then came server based authentications. We still could create fake servers, they started exchanging keys periodically hahaha still .... so much is to be explored, No end.
Interesting.. Very interesting.
Kudus bro..
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Chatflick(m): 9:34am On Jun 28, 2020
ARCHEMEDESME:
I've noticed a certain trend ; a lot of self taught developers seem to look down on a cs degree after learning just an aspect of computer science.

For example someone who decides to learn backend web development ( which is a subset of cs)by taking an udemy course thinks he has learnt more than a serious minded cs student . They go about saying stuff like :" I didn't study computer science but I can know more than a cs major" but they seem to forget that computer science goes beyond developing websites. To me it's a waste of time of time studying cs just because you want to be a web developer , correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's what boot camps are meant for .

But that doesn't change the fact that some CS majors know nothing , I've come across some CS majors that can't code but that doesn't make a cs degree worthless.
But do you think such people are right ?
It depends on where the CS student studied at. If the CS student went to a Nigerian University, then a self taught programmer isn't exaggerating because Nigerian schools are useless
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Nobody: 9:34am On Jun 28, 2020
everything in Cs can be learnt from the internet while sitting on the toilet, the world has long since moved from glorifying certifications to focus more on solutions and problem solvers, we are stuck behind the rest of the world because we go to school to learn to use imported solutions and not to create , self taught gives you an edge over the status quo, whether one has a degree or not, to fit in the mordern day world you must go beyond the "school management system program" and "java hello world" you learnt in the university.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Crvrider: 9:34am On Jun 28, 2020
wwwtortoise:

Greetings Sir !

Please recommend a user-friendly online platform where I can learn Python for free.

I used codecademy but the free version is limited to only the intro and basics.

PS: I am presently doing my NYSC and eagerly want to learn programming.

Regards.

If ever you are in Lagos, why not try Andela, located somewhere in yaba. If you're passionate about learning to code, in my opinion, there are the best people to go to.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by GoodBoi1(m): 9:36am On Jun 28, 2020
Akoja360:
everything in Cs can be learnt from the internet while sitting on the toilet, the world has long since moved from glorifying certifications to focus more on solutions and problem solvers, we are stuck behind the rest of the world because we go to school to learn to use imported solutions and not to create , self taught gives you an edge over the status quo, whether one has a degree or not, to fit in the mordern day world you must go beyond the "school management system program" and "java hello world" you learnt in the university.
school management system program grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Nobody: 9:37am On Jun 28, 2020
Basalt:

Now let me ask you a and I demand all honesty.
As a computer scientist, what can you do for a company?

Let's assume you didn't go to Bootcamp to learn coding or any additional skill
Do you know how much Google and other companies spends on recruiting computer scientists who have PhDs . Most improvements and innovations at those companies come from these guys

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Goldencheese(m): 9:37am On Jun 28, 2020
Wow. Your reply just made my morning. Good thread though.
Coder2Client:
CS major is just like Jack of all trades master of none. As a CS grad, I was just reading to pass my exams. Tell me, how do you expect CS major to be expert in Java, c++, pascal, vb, algorithm, python Fortran, cobol, networking etc and still claim to be productive when he/she has not successfully implemented any of these core languages in a production?

After my school, I had to start all over by myself. This time, it was Java and I can tell you that I am very proud of doing so. I learn so much by myself.

So, self taught programmers are goal oriented and not like the school conventional way of programming.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by dometome: 9:38am On Jun 28, 2020
ARCHEMEDESME:

yea but it becomes annoying when someone who attends a 3 months bootcamp thinks they know it all
Rubbish. You don't stop learning programming. BTW a boot camp graduate is NOT self taught

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by GoodBoi1(m): 9:39am On Jun 28, 2020
ARCHEMEDESME:

Do you know how much Google and other companies spends on recruiting computer scientists who have PhDs . Most improvements and innovations at those companies come from these guys
You have a point but do you also know that not all tech jobs at Google require one to be a computer scientist or even have a PhD?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by stanliwise(m): 9:41am On Jun 28, 2020
Basalt:

Now let me ask you a and I demand all honesty.
As a computer scientist, what can you do for a company?

Let's assume you didn't go to Bootcamp to learn coding or any additional skill
As a computing scientist in a company I could create algorithms to help them organize, seek and store data in a quick time.
I could also invent strong algorithms to help them secure their data.
I could also help them build a system for fast data transmission.
I could also ensure I create a data system for concurrent and synchronized access. Job of a computing scientist is not anywhere really close to using a computer even in most times we do.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by manuelreports: 9:44am On Jun 28, 2020
javaRookie:

The same FORTRAN that was used to write one of the most popular machine learning library Scipy that is used on your so called modern day generation language Python.
The thing is that we like jumping on the next shiny thing forgetting the foundation that gave rise to those our "Knight in shining armour"
I overhead some programmers saying that Javascript and python are going to phase out C and C++. I couldn't help but laugh out loud!
You want to chase out the foundation, the core that gave rise to you?
Most of the libraries that Python uses are built with C.
Even the FORTRAN you so despise is even computationally faster than most of your modern languages.
I don't use Fortran, but i won't just overlook their usefulness and what they have contributed to the world of programming languages.

Big company like Google, ibm uses scripting languages like python and Ruby for making quick prototype but when a standard enterprise app is needed, they would go back to these core languages like FORTRAN(if the solution use more of numerical computing) C and the rest of our oldies.
Gosh even the Nodejs making wave was written in C++.

I try to keep an open mind to all programming language because you don't use them does not make them useless.

To the Mr Bible guy, i think you need to get a grip of your self.
You are just trying to discredit those self taught programmers by all means which to me is not sound.

Computer science make the complex algorithms with their vast knowledge of discrete mathematics. And all these algorithm can be implemented on any language of choice by these "Roadside" programmers in the web app or software.
Every body gets where they come in.

The thing is that in Nigeria we focus more on theory than the practical unlike western countries who would give you the theory break down and practical to go with it.
That is why many cs grad in Nigeria doesn't know how to code that much.
I am a cs undergraduate myself so i know what i am talking about.
The fault is partly form the CS professor, they over simply the Cs lane that an average Joe can use it, there making the young cs grads look redundant.
Make it simple but not too simple that i would lose my job - A lecture of mine said this.
Also the fault also is from the Nigerian ecosystem who outs so much importance on web apps as if it is the beginning and end of Computer Science.

You won't believe how much Google waste in getting maths and cs Professor of which all they do is making heavy research on how to improve google algorithm and make new solutions complex application.

I am not disputing the fact that Fortran is a foundational language but we are looking at the Language that is flexible and suits in solving our day to day challenges and task. Foundational course can be done on Fortran but let the students be allowed to major in their chosen and favourite Language. The foundational Fortran we were taught back then in school was nothing more than an explanation of principles of programming. That is where our Lecturers left us, now tell me if we channel that time and strength to Python. Also I will like to reiterate that the curriculum should allow students to major in one particular Language and not the regular pattern of learning all and knowing nothing. Take for instance Python alone have many parts and a developer can just makor in one aspect of it like Web development, Machine learning, App Developmet etc. I was astonished the day I saw the curriculum of Computer science in UK when I was still undergraduate. I have to quickly ise that curriculum to upgrade myself. Just like You saidour schools focus much on theory than practical. But the truth is that most of our professors except the foreign trained ones knows Theory and not the practical side of Computer science therefore they tend to hand over that theoritical principles they have grabbed to their students sidlining the practical aspect which is the most important part.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by jackyraw09: 9:48am On Jun 28, 2020
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
onegig:

Absolute bullshit

You can learn whatever outside the four walls of the classrooms but a CS degree is far beyond just writing codes that this self taught courses gives you. I can bet a lot of all these so called "Software engineers" don't even know what data structures are which is the basic building block for all programming languages. I still have to sometimes reference my 2nd year text books on primary keys in projects. Now imagine someone who never even glossed through it.

That things have been abstracted to the point that you can drag and drop doesn't make you more knowledgeable than someone who understands the inner workings of the system. I would take a CS graduate with a few years of experience programming than a so called " established self thought programmer". In the long run the difference is extremely clear. The western world made the mistake in the early 2000s trying to outsource software development work to Indians who self taught and didn't go to traditional schools. When the quality of work dropped and the turn around time in terms of what jobs were completed and the errors they had to fix after. No one told them before they started withdrawing such critical aspects of the Software dev cycle from their hands and looking at home made CS graduates.

The same issues happens in the GIS field with people who just learnt how to use QGIS on Udemy believing because they can draw maps they are better than someone who studied the basics of stastiscal analysis for years before laying hands on the tool itself. What most of these courses don't teach you is why are you doing the things you are doing. They only show you how. That's a big gap of knowledge that still needs to be covered for you to be fully certified as a knowledgeable person in your field which sadly is something most self taught won't dabble into to learn more about.

The question is would you give the Civil engineer who understands concrete and sand ratio, soil analysis the job of building an important bridge in your city or give the job to someone who learnt over YouTube that if you are building a bridge you just have to add 50% cement and 50% sand to the beam to make a bridge without considering that each environment has their own peculiarities?

I beg to differ, i am computer science graduate my
And I think the university education system in Nigerian has a way of numbing down the minds of aspiring computer scientists with just theory upon theory and little to no practical.

What separates the self taught guys how ever is that they are mostly practical and learn by doing as opposed to just cramming stuff.

I didn’t study abroad so I wouldn’t know how it is over there but from my own experience of computer science I’d say NIGERIAn education system doesn’t do much justice to the field in terms of what u gain after 4 years in the university.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Shepherdd(m): 9:48am On Jun 28, 2020
javaRookie:

The same FORTRAN that was used to write one of the most popular machine learning library Scipy that is used on your so called modern day generation language Python.
The thing is that we like jumping on the next shiny thing forgetting the foundation that gave rise to those our "Knight in shining armour"
I overhead some programmers saying that Javascript and python are going to phase out C and C++. I couldn't help but laugh out loud!
You want to chase out the foundation, the core that gave rise to you?
Most of the libraries that Python uses are built with C.
Even the FORTRAN you so despise is even computationally faster than most of your modern languages.
I don't use Fortran, but i won't just overlook their usefulness and what they have contributed to the world of programming languages.

Big company like Google, ibm uses scripting languages like python and Ruby for making quick prototype but when a standard enterprise app is needed, they would go back to these core languages like FORTRAN(if the solution use more of numerical computing) C and the rest of our oldies.
Gosh even the Nodejs making wave was written in C++.

I try to keep an open mind to all programming language because you don't use them does not make them useless.

To the Mr Bible guy, i think you need to get a grip of your self.
You are just trying to discredit those self taught programmers by all means which to me is not sound.

Computer science make the complex algorithms with their vast knowledge of discrete mathematics. And all these algorithm can be implemented on any language of choice by these "Roadside" programmers in the web app or software.
Every body gets where they come in.

The thing is that in Nigeria we focus more on theory than the practical unlike western countries who would give you the theory break down and practical to go with it.
That is why many cs grad in Nigeria doesn't know how to code that much.
I am a cs undergraduate myself so i know what i am talking about.
The fault is partly form the CS professor, they over simply the Cs lane that an average Joe can use it, there making the young cs grads look redundant.
Make it simple but not too simple that i would lose my job - A lecture of mine said this.
Also the fault also is from the Nigerian ecosystem who outs so much importance on web apps as if it is the beginning and end of Computer Science.

You won't believe how much Google waste in getting maths and cs Professor of which all they do is making heavy research on how to improve google algorithm and make new solutions complex application.

grin grin. Leave them o. Fortran that they hate is driving the satellites that gives them internet access. Or the C that their Android, iPhone, mac and Windows is written with.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by stanliwise(m): 9:50am On Jun 28, 2020
Crvrider:

So what do you think brought about the course, cs? CS is mainly software engineering. Anyone studying to become a computer scientist 98% more likely doing it because of coding.

But where will you do all of this if not on a computer.

The young man you quoted hit the nail right on the head. School curriculums are bloated with all manner of stuffs you don't need...hence the reason he said "jack of all trade master of none."

A self taught programmer if he/she is the serious type will learn far more than a student who has spent 4yrs in the university pursuing a cs degree. In many ways the self taught is more focal on the things that are strictly cs related. Cs and software engineering are like butter and bread. You can't really mention one without the other. So, if your cs lecturer has no clue about coding and concerns himself with things theory, bro run from such a school. More so, I see what inspired your reasoning.

Today the buzz word is data science. Can you even think about being a data scientist without even knowing how to code? Data analysis is more than just excel spreadsheet or databases? In the short run you will need to query these data, now how do you suppose you'll do that?

Some few questions for you though:
How will your lecturer test his algorithm?
How will you compute data without the need of a computational device?
Where do you want to store your data, in your pocket?
Before computer came into existence there were already computer and the first were some set of females which were given large numbers and figure to compute at real time. The fact they computed the data isn’t the logic there. They simply could have employed People and hand them calculator but that wasn’t the case. The case it that they are special trained to accept data and manipulate those data that gives the required result just like the present machine does today. A computing scientist don’t need to be a good programmer. Alan Turing developed the Utimate computer (Turing Machine) which will never be built in reality on paper. He drew the machine technique on paper and the manner it works. Alan Turing developed some of the working technique of how today computer shuld accept data and treat it.
See computing has many branches, there are some computing scientist which main job is to store data and retrieve them in quick time. This people works in large organizations and develop all sort of logic for organization data storage and retrieval. Some computing scientist are into just networking and transfer of data. They develop all sort of theory for accurate data management and transfer. For example the zip algorithms was the hand work of many computing scientist e.g HuffMan and many but this same guys didn’t make any popular zip app you see today instead their idea were used by programmers to make those apps

Lastly don’t get me wrong, I never said computing scientist don’t need to know how to program. I said they don’t have to be great at it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Learning Programming. (my Nairaland Journal) / Whats The Best Laptop For Programming? / Best Operating System For Programming!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.