Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,217 members, 7,807,736 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:16 PM

Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate - Programming (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate (25351 Views)

Self-taught Programmers / How Did You Land You First Job As A Self-taught Developer? / Why Self Taught Programmers Over “Exaggerate”. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by stanliwise(m): 4:09pm On Jul 01, 2020
Daejoyoung:

My confusion is how does the CS person practically carry out data efficiency? isn't programming also the practical way of doing so?
Data efficiency is more of a brain work than something you code practically, if a weather network station need to serve millions of user and it gets too much request daily then it may be overworked. It could reduce this work load by what we call event strategy, this concept alone can save huge amount of power and money. This is what a computing scientist is concerned about. A coder build the idea on ground. I hope you understand. Although many CS guys are coders too. In big industry you don’t really hear of anything called full stack, you are either a backend/frontend or designer. They are more concerned with quality work rather than quantity. So most organization has computing scientist as programmer and as researcher.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by rastaxarm(m): 1:03am On Jul 02, 2020
A Voting System WebApp created with Python/Flask

Home Page: https://digitavote.pythonanywhere.com

VOTING LIVE VIEW: https://digitavote.pythonanywhere.com/vote/view/live/

Equipped with dashboard. Good for schools and organization elections

Still under development
cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Nobody: 9:04am On Jul 02, 2020
I use languages according to projects though C is my primary language(GCC for unix dev, MVSC++ For windows)
I use LLVM as an IR backed.
The only tips i sabi give you na.....download open source projects, go through the code and write your own version, github(awesome) is your friend.
E get one site i use that time www.findbestopensource.com they curated lots of projects from embedded C to web assembly.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Nobody: 3:21am On Jul 06, 2020
ThePlainTruth:

This is my new handle.
The task below which I posted before is what is relevant to this thread and it is a real world business requirement.

[Write a program that will allow me from the program you write to execute another program on a remote computer and when the program has completed on the remote computer the program you write should be able to accept a return code from the program on the remote computer. Which language and tools will you use for this] 

I was not listing anything, "Phases of Compiler | Lexical Analysis | Part -1/3" is just the name of the video link in my post, it is part of 58 series on Compiler Design and this is an educational video on youtube. I don't see the need to answer course exercises on compilers as this was something I did nearly a decade ago and I will have to revise and do some research on this which is pointless as I have never had the need to work on any project that involves me developing a compiler.

You mentioned Introduction to Networking that was why I made you aware of Network/Socket Programming which involves the advanced aspect of writing the code that is used in networking software. I cannot make you change your views but the truth is that a CS grad that has a good CS degree covering all the relevant models/courses have the skills needed to research and can come up with the right solutions to complex real world business challenges.
Check out my Github repository. It's not good enough though and a little dangerous but I started it today and finished it today. https://github.com/ricki-r/runproj
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 06, 2020
SegFault:

Check out my Github repository. It's not good enough though and a little dangerous but I started it today and finished it today. https://github.com/ricki-r/runproj

Good try. But the real world business challenge I was referring to is without the type of socket programming you have written. The challenge is actually to have two .EXE/Scripts on two remote computers to talk to each other without the type of client/serversocket programming you have written. This challenge will allow you to execute an .EXE/Script on a remote computer with network access from your computer. A good example is like me remoting into your computer if you give me network access and then I can run any .EXE/Script I know you have on your computer from my computer. This was the reason I asked which language and tools can be used for this.

Shepherdd has given a good info below on how to go about implementing such.

Shepherdd:

Love this question. As a lazy programmer am going to use Python as there is a lot of abstraction with subprocess handling, and handling SSH2 on Python too is less painful.

Assuming both systems have their cryptographic keys, the script/program will be executed on the remote through the ssh driven terminal, and this will always return predefined return codes upon task completion.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Nobody: 1:51am On Jul 07, 2020
ThePlainTruth:

Good try. But the real world business challenge I was referring to is without the type of socket programming you have written. The challenge is actually to have two .EXE/Scripts on two remote computers to talk to each other without the type of client/serversocket programming you have written. This challenge will allow you to execute an .EXE/Script on a remote computer with network access from your computer. A good example is like me remoting into your computer if you give me network access and then I can run any .EXE/Script I know you have on your computer from my computer. This was the reason I asked which language and tools can be used for this.

Shepherdd has given a good info below on how to go about implementing such.

That's my way of solving it everyone's got their way. And besides how does this concern comp science
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by jackyraw09: 12:12pm On Jul 07, 2020
onegig:

It isn't that different overseas.. Just that they have more course work in terms of practical classes and much more streamlined course content. You can't do a broad CS in most Universities overseas. It has to be a key area, Web development, Multimedia, Information systems or of recent cyber security or security systems. This gives you a much more narrow range in terms of expertise instead of doing everything from Fortran to Laplace transforms.

CS is extremely wide and the way we teach in Nigeria is just where the trouble is . It needs to be unbundled to individual course content before students can appreciate it better. I redid a course last year which was targeted at 1st year students of computer science in the UK and difference in what i learnt was way advanced and useful than all i did in 100level to 200level here. In Nigeria we were bogged down with Plant biology, Physics and chemistry and i did only 2 CS courses in 100level here which was grossly inadequate.

Most of what i know now were leveraging what was taught and going further to seek more but you can't discard the basis it gives you. There is a clarity of purpose when you really studied CS. Why we think someone learning programming is much more better is because we don't use IT that deep. If you worked on embedded systems and you start understanding how low level machines react to every bit of code you wouldn't discard your understanding of Machine Language you learnt in CS and this can apply to everything from arrays to pointers.

You are so on point my chief. Stay blessed.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 12, 2020
SegFault:

That's my way of solving it everyone's got their way. And besides how does this concern comp science

A CS grad from a good Computer Science course, will be able to research and come up with a solution, but with a self-taught such a real life project will be scrapped.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Nobody: 9:07am On Jul 12, 2020
ThePlainTruth:

A CS grad from a good Computer Science course, will be able to research and come up with a solution, but with a self-taught such a real life project will be scrapped.
That was a half and half solution, I am currently working on a compiler so I don't have time for some nonsense challenge.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Dranoid: 4:14pm On Jul 14, 2020
crownedrookie:
I'm self taught and recognize the need to get a CS degree. Planning to, even discussed it with my boss and he gave me some good options for it. Has to be from abroad though, I'd rather do a memory wipe and learn again than get a Nigerian CS degree.
For now any one with knowledge of where I can find a structured playlist of CS classes from reputable institutions on YouTube should do well to let me know.
Searches like UC Berkeley Webcast and CS 10 - The Beauty and Joy of Computing give answers but rather scattered and random

I dont know if you've seen what you are looking for but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyOvFSP_IpQ

its a youtube video that links to a repo that contains courses (i'm not sure whether they are free) that are structured and from reputable Unis from across the world.

Hope it helps
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by monex(m): 2:03pm On Jul 16, 2020
GrantCashel:
When i started programming, i began with HTML & CSS, over time i progressed to php, java and c#.
While hanging out with some CS guys some of them barely knew beyond hello world, but knew CS theory.
My then short sightedness made me brag how they were inferior to me.
I dropped out of my biochem course and faced programming full time.
Later on, i realized i was more interested in compiler/driver stuff{basically system dev}.
I had to learn the math and theory on my own.
In all, i think we exaggerate out of ignorance.

Very true, I had classmates back then in Uni who thought our lecturers where idiots for not knowing some shiny programming language.

Knowledge of algorithms trumps knowledge of languages/APIs. My cousin works in Facebook but has never heard of React until i mentioned it to him.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Nobody: 10:39am On Jul 18, 2020
Dranoid:

I dont know if you've seen what you are looking for but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyOvFSP_IpQ

its a youtube video that links to a repo that contains courses (i'm not sure whether they are free) that are structured and from reputable Unis from across the world.

Hope it helps
Yah I've watched it before they are all free, though you have to audit them.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Karlebolu(m): 11:11pm On Jul 21, 2020
monex:

Very true, I had classmates back then in Uni who thought our lecturers where idiots for not knowing some shiny programming language.

Knowledge of algorithms trumps knowledge of languages/APIs. My cousin works in Facebook but has never heard of React until i mentioned it to him.

How true is this your claim?
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by iLearner: 10:33am On Jul 22, 2020
monex:

How can someone work at Facebook and not know React that was developed by Facebook and used to build the same Facebook mobile app

Is your cousin a cleaner or errand boy at Facebook

Leeemaaaoooo grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by monex(m): 12:29pm On Jul 22, 2020
iLearner:

How can someone work at Facebook and not know React that was developed by Facebook and used to build the same Facebook mobile app

Leeemaaaoooo grin grin

it is very possible.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by monex(m): 12:30pm On Jul 22, 2020
Karlebolu:

How true is this your claim?

true and quite possible
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:33pm On Jul 22, 2020
iLearner:

Leeemaaaoooo grin grin
cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by iLearner: 2:53pm On Jul 22, 2020
monex:

it is very possible.

Give instances sir.

What is the person's work at Facebook?
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by monex(m): 7:38pm On Jul 22, 2020
iLearner:

Give instances sir.

What is the person's work at Facebook?

a software engineer
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by iLearner: 9:20pm On Jul 22, 2020
monex:

a software engineer

I really want to believe you're kidding me right now, sir. Do you know what a software engineer does?

React was developed by a software engineer at Facebook and your brother, supposedly a software engineer at Facebook doesn't know React?

cry cry cry cry

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Learning Programming. (my Nairaland Journal) / Whats The Best Laptop For Programming? / Best Operating System For Programming!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.