Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? - Agriculture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? (33169 Views)

Raising Cockerels For Meat. An Economically Feasible Venture? / How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money / For Sale, Local Chickens For Breeding/hatching Turkey, Guinea Fowl Eggs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by sodeeqsulaimon88(m): 8:38am On Feb 24, 2021
jidestroud:

Firstly, irrespective of the cockerels present, your hens will lay eggs. Hens will always lay eggs whether there is a rooster or not. layers lay eggs whether you give them layer mash or not. Same goes for turkey hens, ducks etc. Now the question should be; Do you want fertile eggs or not? That's where the male comes in.

As for your local hens, just give it time. Let's say, 7-8months should be their ideal time. grin
Noted Oga mi
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by sodeeqsulaimon88(m): 8:39am On Feb 24, 2021
kaycino:
just be patient they will lay...just feed them well. Once the cockerel is 6 months they're are mature to mate .mine even started mating at 5 months
Thanks boss
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Cashalhaji: 6:44am On Feb 25, 2021
Beautiflul thread ... So good to be here

2 Likes

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Azarina: 1:37pm On Feb 25, 2021
I need a picture of an iron cage for my cuties.their wooden cage is wasted
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by kennethfranc(m): 11:00pm On Mar 07, 2021
GafarOlatunji:
Good day everyone

@Azarina thanks for your comments, am looking forward to hatching broiler and turkey, but have not think about the market of other birds, it's a good idea so think this is an opportunity for me to explore more.

Yes ,I will not be reluctant to build for other people on request but maybe it will not be free, and I will also be available to guide anyone that is interested to build its own for free.

I had wiring part is 90% complete what remain is the thermostat to regulate the heat automatically, I do it get this in Nigeria, so I want to other on jumia , it's coming from outside Nigeria and it's going to take months before arrival , not certain but this covid-19 has affected import.

Presently, am doing the test running of the temprature and humidity to know how to make it work for us perfectly,I will post picture below, we have 3bolb as the source of heat 2 100watt and 1 60watt, so making it 260watt together. There are two fan above the lights which is extracting the heat and circulating it in the box, the fan is powered with solar and battery, it uses solar in the day and also the solar chargers the battery, so in the night in absent of sunlight it uses the battery. There is cup of water in the box for humidity

I discovered Challenges during this test run, the first is the battery do low and unable to power the fan before the day break , it do go off around 5am-6am . So am looking forward to adding one additional battery as backup, and also power the fan with both electricity and solar, so we can save the battery power when there is light, another option I thought of is using one fan in the night because the normal night temporary is cool and not like day time, so I feel one fan can work for the night to save the battery.

Will post the thermometer am using Presently, but I want to get another one that has sensor and also display that I will keep outside the box and measure the heat inside, so will not need to be opening the box always

I will keep giving update till we get it right and will update when we finally hatch our chicks from this homemade incubator, but am 100% positive because it has work for some people this way before and even presently.

What would be the cost of constructing one for me?
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by TeDesQ: 5:34pm On Jun 19, 2021
sodeeqsulaimon88:
kindly share pictures of the fulani chicken and is it different from female native chicken
how do we identify it when we see it??
someone said we shouldn't buy chicken from the market is there any other place we can get this fulani chicken??
can we formulate feed for them if yes is it grower,starter or finisher??
maize offal is easy to get here wah can i mix with it to get that % of crude protein

. I'm trying to get maize offal. Can you direct me on where and how to get?
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by TeDesQ: 5:35pm On Jun 19, 2021
Farouq94:

I do not have a full picture of a fulani hen, but if you’re familiar with the noiler hen, some fulani hens can be as big as them.

The issue of buying chicken from the market is diseases. Most of them are subject to already infected environment so by the time you buy them and bring them, they are usually very weak. If the market is your only alternative, you can choose the most vibrant chicken you see, inspect its crop to see if there is any feed inside, check the vent to see if its clean ...measures like those that will make sure you get healthy stock. Then when you bring them home, quarantine them and give them antibiotics, dewormers and vitamins till you’re satisfied that they are healthy enough to free-range. Never ever mix birds from the market with your existing birds. Always quarantine them first.

Feed formulation is very technical, though local chickens are very forgiving compared to broilers. I suggest you start with already made feed first to give your chicks a good start. Then later start finding alternatives close to you.

I personally do not like giving young chicks maize offal, because I find a lot of impurities inside, and that can give a chance for infection to set in especially for young chicks that do not have enough immunity. For adult chickens, I mix it with their feed.

Either way, maize offal is lower in crude protein than wheat bran, but higher in energy. A ratio of 1:2 will give you roughly 17.3% CP. Assuming average CP of maize offal at 10% and your starter at 21%. For wheat bran, a ratio of 1:1 will give you an average of 18% CP.

So lets say you’re producing a 15kg feed, 10kg starter + 5kg maize offal will dilute your CP down to 17.3%.

I'm trying to get maize offal. Can you direct me on where and how to get?

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 8:42pm On Jul 26, 2021
TeDesQ:

I'm trying to get maize offal. Can you direct me on where and how to get?

Look for where they sell livestock (goats, cows) and ask, they’ll direct you.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by chukskafor(m): 8:17pm On Jul 27, 2021
Farouq94:

Look for where they sell livestock (goats, cows) and ask, they’ll direct you.
Bro,where have you been, hope all is well with you? Been ages
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by brendan007: 11:36pm On Jul 27, 2021
I
chukskafor:
Bro,where have you been, hope all is well with you? Been ages

Honestly, I too was worried about him. Kept checking his status month after month expecting his return. Glad he’s finally back.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by chukskafor(m): 6:13am On Jul 28, 2021
You can say that again, exactly what I was doing all the while
brendan007:
I

Honestly, I too was worried about him. Kept checking his status month after month expecting his return. Glad he’s finally back.
the absence really gave me the ish

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by denziz: 3:39pm On Oct 08, 2021
QTCL:
Happy new year,this thread have been quiet for a while,i have been so busy working on my kerosene lantern incubator and we just completed it late last month and we are test running it by loading straight away our fertilised local hen,local turkey and noiler eggs..hatching have began and i will update you with pictures pretty soon.
You refuse to update us about your progress,I hope all is well
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 3:12pm On Nov 16, 2021
I am now producing maggots for my local chickens, my hens are very good mothers.
My location is Ibadan
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 3:16pm On Nov 16, 2021
*BLACK SOLDIERS FLIES (BSFL) MAGGOTS FARM SET UP*

*_How you can drastically cut down cost of feeding fish/poultry/rabbits/ruminants using bsfl maggots and still get a very good results._*

We are a team of farmers that help to set up maggots farms.

We shall construct the housing
We will set up the maggots farm
Teach you how to run the farm
Do follow up after farm set up.

When you produce yourself your feed cost is as low as N100/kg.
A farm that use 10 bags (150kg) of feed /weekly for example.
When using maggots they will only need to buy 3 bags(45kg) weekly of conventional fish feed plus 105kg maggots to make up .In that way cutting the feed cost by 70%.
*Depending on the age of your fish, you can do 70% maggots & 30% conventional fish feed or 90% maggots & 10% conventional fish feed* .

*ADVANTAGES OF USING BSFL MAGGOTS*
(1) It reduces cost of feeding drastically
(2) It does not pollute water because maggots does not dissolve in water like regular feed.
(3) Any maggot the fish has not eaten will come back to the surface and float until they pick it .
(4) It's a safer way for humans because bsf maggot is organic
(5) Very high protein content. The crude protein of bsfl maggots stand between 40-67%
(6) A farmers can go for less nutrition feed in the market (which of course will be cheaper) as back up for bsfl maggots
(7) bsfl contains over 17 essential amino acids which is organic so when using bsfl maggots as feed for fish, u have less worried about their health.
(cool The waste from the maggots farm is organic fertilizer
(9) Maggot is feed to poultry birds & rabbits
(10) Maggots make fish grow faster & bigger
(11) When the farm is setup, you harvest maggots on a continuous daily basis if the cycle is not broken.
(12) It can give you *daily income year round if you do commercial production & you sell maggots to fish/poultry/rabbits farmers*

*3 Types of Maggots Farm Set ups*

*A) Mini farm...You get 10-20kg maggots per day*

*B) Semi - Commercial maggots farm producing 1 ton per week*

*C) Commercial maggots farm producing 8 -10 tons per week*

*_Farms can be in any part of 9ija or any Africa country._*

*Call*
*Gbenga:08136650972 or WhatsApp 08120528950*

*For maggots farms set up* .

Chart me up on WhatsApp 08120528950 or call me on 08136650972
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Nobody: 7:43am On Nov 17, 2021
BoluwGoldenFarm:
*BLACK SOLDIERS FLIES (BSFL) MAGGOTS FARM SET UP*

*ADVANTAGES OF USING BSFL MAGGOTS*
(6) A farmers can go for less nutrition feed in the market (which of course will be cheaper) as back up for bsfl maggots
(7) bsfl contains over 17 essential amino acids which is organic so when using bsfl maggots as feed for fish, u have less worried about their health.
(cool The waste from the maggots farm is organic fertilizer
(9) Maggot is feed to poultry birds & rabbits

With all due respects sir, ur write up is misleading. Bsf doesn't make it safe for you to use low nutritional feed as u stated, bsf is high in protein n fats, nothing more than that, in other words u need high quality feed to go with this, the only good thing is u use roughly 40%-50% of the feed wen using bsf compared to wen u don't use it.. If u deprive ur farm of good nutrition u might smile for months but wen paralisis n sudden death starts don't use d phrase "my village people"

Also don't advice people to feed their rabbits with animal fat.. Animal fat is high in cholesterol which is very bad for rabbits, rabbit meat is all protein, they are lean meat, they don't need animal fat or protein, their diet should be strictly based on greens as they are habivoire.. There's also something known as cannibalism in rabbits, the mother eats the babies immediately after birth, research linked this to ignorant feed producers that produce feed using animal fat or protein because they want a quicker growth.. Cannibalism can never be corrected n it's a Gene that passes to the surviving offspring, so abeg.. No advice people feed dair rabbits maggots.. We rabbit farmers no plenty,
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by orogodoganyin(m): 4:11pm On Nov 17, 2021
BSFL has proteins fats, and some other minerals actually... But that doesn't negate the news for nutritious feed... They can look to formulating feeds n substitute the BSFL for fish meal or soya bean meal
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by StriveHard: 8:28am On Apr 12, 2022
Farouq94:

All day old chickens actually require a source of heat for at least two weeks. Using a thermometer is the best way to avoid any issues, and its very inexpensive to get one. The only concern with using lantern is the fumes, as that can cause respiratory diseases. But if the lantern is in good condition, then its okay to use it as a source of heat. Also, closing them up in a carton might not be the best way, as that can suffocate them, if that doesn’t, it might create a humid environment inside the carton, which is like inviting bacteria to start proliferating inside, as their poop is already there.

If you don’t mind me, you can share how you got that weight, it doesn’t have to be an in-depth explanation. So we can all learn a thing or two. Thank you.
@farouq94 @nativechicken please guys don't leave this thread die
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by FarmerGiantpage: 9:26am On Apr 12, 2022
Nigerfine3:
@farouk or any other,
I googled the name of where to get kerosene powered incubator around East , I couldn’t see it, can anyone tell me where I could get local incubator in East or Ibadan
Thanks
Available at FarmerGiant Nigeria Limited at Ibadan
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by chukskafor(m): 12:08am On May 11, 2022
What's the capacity and how much are we looking at?
FarmerGiantpage:

Available at FarmerGiant Nigeria Limited at Ibadan
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 10:55am On May 11, 2022
Misturman:

With all due respects sir, ur write up is misleading. Bsf doesn't make it safe for you to use low nutritional feed as u stated, bsf is high in protein n fats, nothing more than that, in other words u need high quality feed to go with this, the only good thing is u use roughly 40%-50% of the feed wen using bsf compared to wen u don't use it.. If u deprive ur farm of good nutrition u might smile for months but wen paralisis n sudden death starts don't use d phrase "my village people"

Also don't advice people to feed their rabbits with animal fat.. Animal fat is high in cholesterol which is very bad for rabbits, rabbit meat is all protein, they are lean meat, they don't need animal fat or protein, their diet should be strictly based on greens as they are habivoire.. There's also something known as cannibalism in rabbits, the mother eats the babies immediately after birth, research linked this to ignorant feed producers that produce feed using animal fat or protein because they want a quicker growth.. Cannibalism can never be corrected n it's a Gene that passes to the surviving offspring, so abeg.. No advice people feed dair rabbits maggots.. We rabbit farmers no plenty,

Ok thanks
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Pyroex(m): 5:08am On May 13, 2022
This is by far the most interesting thread I have seen here on NL.

Keep it up OP. I will join you guys soonest.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 8:12pm On Aug 07, 2022
Hello everyone! Just realizing its been more than 2 years since this project started!!!

Well, I took a pause from this project after covid hit because I didn’t have access to the farm. I lost hundreds of chicks that I hatched to bad management, and weather (which was mostly my fault) and decided to sell off all the breeding chickens. Literally just three chicks survived, we left them foraging around the farm with no care/attention. One later died, and we were left with 2 hens. One of my workers saw how dismissive I have been with the chickens because they were already starting to lay with no cock around. He “borrowed” a rooster for me and before I knew it, the farm was becoming full with chickens.

All this time, we just slaughtered and ate them grin. It was only recently I decided to sell some, and honestly the money motivated me smiley. It felt like free money, seeing that I wasn’t feeding them at all. So I have dusted off the incubator, made some adjustments, and I’m ready to get this pet project going again! So excited!!!

I will try and take a headcount of how many chickens I have now on the farm, and take pictures!

Hopefully this time around, I’ll make more time to properly train my workers, supervise, and everything goes well!!!!!

4 Likes

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by jidestroud(m): 10:35am On Aug 08, 2022
Glad to read from you.

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by steel5800(m): 10:40pm On Dec 14, 2022
Farouq94:
Hello everyone! Just realizing its been more than 2 years since this project started!!!

Well, I took a pause from this project after covid hit because I didn’t have access to the farm. I lost hundreds of chicks that I hatched to bad management, and weather (which was mostly my fault) and decided to sell off all the breeding chickens. Literally just three chicks survived, we left them foraging around the farm with no care/attention. One later died, and we were left with 2 hens. One of my workers saw how dismissive I have been with the chickens because they were ......

Oga Farouq pls update us
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Klass99(f): 10:38am On May 13, 2023
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farfalla(f): 2:16pm On May 13, 2023
Klass99:
Thanks in advance
Enjoy your weekend! kiss
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Klass99(f): 4:58pm On May 13, 2023
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 6:03pm On May 14, 2023
Farouq94:

I will try and take a headcount of how many chickens I have now on the farm, and take pictures!

Hopefully this time around, I’ll make more time to properly train my workers, supervise, and everything goes well!!!!!

Since my last post, I noticed that we’ve reached a point where we have too many hens about to start laying, and without any care, we’ll end up at ground zero again. The rain is starting soon and that is when they lay the most because of abundant feed (grasses and bugs).

This time around I’m bringing the breeding chickens closer to home, I will feed them and properly account for their productivity. First batch came in today, 1 cock and 5 hens. Headcount is happening tonight, here are the ones I was able to capture….

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farfalla(f): 7:46pm On May 15, 2023
Klass99:

Okay, seen. You can edit/delete your post.

Please check your email. wink
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Klass99(f): 10:44am On May 16, 2023
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by McKayConcept(m): 11:49am On May 17, 2023
We are a trusted grasscutter farm..

We sell grasscutter colony

Assist in grasscutter farm setup

Process, package and export grasscutter

General consultancy

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 5:32pm On May 30, 2023
Two weeks later, the birds have acclimated to the new environment and have started laying. I brought in a total of 15 hens and 2 roosters, and left the rest on the farm.

So far we have 16 eggs, most of the hens are first time layers so I’m expecting an “eggs-plosion” in the coming weeks.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

CRUSHED NOODLES FOR Fishes And poultry / #poultrybusiness: The Secret Vet Doctors Are Hiding From You. As Poultry Farmer / GBFoods Completes ₦20billion Tomato Processing Factory In Kebbi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.