Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,806 members, 7,802,577 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:37 PM

Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? (2148 Views)

"I Did Not Come To Buy Human Being" - Groom Ran After Seeing Marriage List!! / Outrageous Traditional Marriage List In Akwa Ibom: Man Runs Away / Marriage Price List In Benue State - Igbo Lady Shares Brother's Marriage List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Nobody: 9:26am On Jun 27, 2020
Lately a lot of people have been calling for the scrapping of bride price because it makes women look like properties to be bought and sold while this is correct I don’t agree with the other reason. The other reason is men see their wives are inferiors and treat them like trash because they paid bride price.

How much is bride price? Within 20naira - 5000. Why will any man treat his wife like trash because of that amount?doesn’t make sense.
I believe the male folks who treat their wives like that because with the excuse that they paid bride price are mistaking bride price for marriage list.
Why won’t a man feel like you’re his property after your folks have given him a list of 2m+ before they’ll endorse your marriage?
Why pay to marry a fellow human being like you?
The real culprit is the marriage list not the bride price itself.

Some folks argue that bride price is symbolic hence it shouldn’t be scrapped, what about marriage list? What is symbolic about marriage list?

Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by CAPSLOCKED: 9:35am On Jun 27, 2020
ARE THEY NOT THE SAME?
DOES PAYING 20 NAIRA AS BRIDE PRICE MEAN YOU WON'T FUND THE BRIDE'S FAMILY AND ELDERS IN THE VILLAGE EITHER IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER?

A LOOK AT SOME OF THESE TRADITIONS TELLS YOU MOST PEOPLE DOWN HERE ARE JUST GREEDY AND HUNGRY. IN THE LIST FROM WHERE I COME FROM, AFTER THE COSTLY ITEMS LIKE GOATS, BOXES, CLOTHES, AND ALL, THERE'S A SECTION THAT INCLUDE IRRELEVANT THINGS LIKE BISCUITS, CHEWING GUM, TALCUM POWDER, BREAD & BUTTER, SNUFF, AND OTHER NONSENSES, AND IF YOU MISTAKENLY MISS ONE THING FROM THE LIST, LET'S SAY YOU BRING BREAD WITHOUT BUTTER OR YOU DON'T GET THE CHEWING GUMS OR SNUFF, YOU'LL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM MARRYING FROM THAT KINDRED UNTIL YOU PROVIDE ALL THE ITEMS TO THE LAST DROP OF SWEAT. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Nobody: 9:36am On Jun 27, 2020
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Nobody: 9:38am On Jun 27, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
ARE THEY NOT THE SAME?
DOES PAYING 20 NAIRA AS BRIDE PRICE MEAN YOU WON'T FUND THE BRIDE'S FAMILY AND ELDERS IN THE VILLAGE EITHER IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER?
The same thing.
But I believe men who see their wives as property with the excuse of paying bride price are probably mistaking it for marriage list.
It should be scrapped sha.
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by CAPSLOCKED: 9:47am On Jun 27, 2020
Plead:

The same thing.
But I believe men who see their wives as property with the excuse of paying bride price are probably mistaking it for marriage list.
It should be scrapped sha.

THE ASPECT OF MEN SEEING WOMEN AS PROPERTY IS JUST A PATRIARCHY THING, BRIDE PRICE IS JUST AN EXCUSE TO ENFORCE IT.
WHERE WOMEN PAY DOWRY IN ASIA THEY'RE STILL TREATED LIKE SCRAP OBJECTS.
HERE, IN RELATIONSHIPS ALONE BOYFRIENDS BEHAVE LIKE THEY OWN THEIR GIRLFRIENDS. SOME WILL EVEN GO AHEAD TO ASSUME AUTHORITY OVER MERE FEMALE FRIENDS AND RANDOM GIRLS THEY MEET JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE MEN.

TO THE TOPIC, I DON'T THINK LIST AND BRIDE PRICE WILL BE SCRAPPED SOON. OUR PEOPLE ARE GREEDY AND HUNGRY. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU AND THE BRIDE, THEY JUST WANT TO GAIN FROM HER SALES, BOTH BEFORE THE WEDDING AND THROUGHOUT ALL THE YEARS SHE'D BE MARRIED TO YOU.

6 Likes

Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by DontBullshitMe: 9:48am On Jun 27, 2020

Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Nobody: 9:48am On Jun 27, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
ARE THEY NOT THE SAME?

A LOOK AT SOME OF THESE TRADITIONS TELLS YOU MOST PEOPLE DOWN HERE ARE JUST GREEDY AND HUNGRY. IN THE LIST FROM WHERE I COME FROM, AFTER THE COSTLY ITEMS LIKE GOATS, BOXES, CLOTHES, AND ALL, THERE'S A SECTION THAT INCLUDE IRRELEVANT THINGS LIKE BISCUITS, CHEWING GUM, TALCUM POWDER, BREAD & BUTTER, SNUFF, AND OTHER NONSENSES, AND IF YOU MISTAKENLY MISS ONE THING FROM THE LIST, LET'S SAY YOU BRING BREAD WITHOUT BUTTER OR YOU DON'T GET THE CHEWING GUMS OR SNUFF, YOU'LL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM MARRYING FROM THAT KINDRED UNTIL YOU PROVIDE ALL THE ITEMS TO THE LAST DROP OF SWEAT. cheesy
Exactly,it’s all about greed and hunger.
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by jboixxx: 9:50am On Jun 27, 2020
Bride price/dowry is symbolic as rightly said and most times are paid to the bride, not the family and not necessarily in monetary value.

Marriage list is dependent on tribe/tradition/family and this is difficult to scrap but families can adjust to the level of the groom in order not to overburden him/his family (which some husbands use as reason to maltreat their wife/ves).

As regards husbands that beat up their wives, they're simply irresponsible and shouldn't be called husbands but animals. No religion or tradition supports such a cowardice habit. Parents need to take care of their wards and instil religious and societal acceptable values in them right from childhood.
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 27, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

THE ASPECT OF MEN SEEING WOMEN AS PROPERTY IS JUST A PATRIARCHY THING, BRIDE PRICE IS JUST AN EXCUSE TO ENFORCE IT.
WHERE WOMEN PAY DOWRY IN ASIA THEY'RE STILL TREATED LIKE SCRAP OBJECTS.
HERE, IN RELATIONSHIPS ALONE BOYFRIENDS BEHAVE LIKE THEY OWN THEIR GIRLFRIENDS. SOME WILL EVEN GO AHEAD TO ASSUME AUTHORITY OVER MERE FEMALE FRIENDS AND RANDOM GIRLS THEY MEET JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE MEN.

TO THE TOPIC, I DON'T THINK LIST AND BRIDE PRICE WILL BE SCRAPPED SOON. OUR PEOPLE ARE GREEDY AND HUNGRY. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU AND THE BRIDE, THEY JUST WANT TO GAIN FROM HER SALES, BOTH BEFORE THE WEDDING AND THROUGHOUT ALL THE YEARS SHE'D BE MARRIED TO YOU.

I agree.
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 27, 2020
jboixxx:
Bride price/dowry is symbolic as rightly said and most times are paid to the bride, not the family and not necessarily in monetary value.

Marriage list is dependent on tribe/tradition/family and this is difficult to scrap but families can adjust to the level of the groom in order not to overburden him/his family.

As regards husbands that beat up their wives, they're simply irresponsible and shouldn't be called husbands but animals. No religion or tradition supports such a cowardice habit. Parents need to take care of their wards and instil religious and societal acceptable values in them right from childhood.
Why is that?
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Temitopemo6e6(m): 10:02am On Jun 27, 2020
Guy no spoil person markets Ooo
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Righteousness89(m): 10:16am On Jun 27, 2020
The Worst thing that could happen in marriage is Getting married to a person that is not Divinely Ordained for you!

Many men and Women have deserted their homes just for this..

This is the Main foundation of any Home...

The money you spend on your Marriage does not equate the happiness you will get...

The number of of people that celebrate you does not equate the degree of joy in your Home..

The publicity stunts and social media attraction your Marriage get does not equate the happiness..

Pls don't just say I do! Be Divinely led Befor you say I do..

God Almighty the Creator of the institution of Marriage, is not Committed to where he didn't send you!

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 27, 2020
Lol I my own understanding of my culture I don't think any one of it is a problem. Engagement list /marriage list is not much it is majorly a list of items the wife to be need and some items as gift for the family members, just a token to show appreciation that a beautiful rose has been plucked from that family. And engagement list is made by parents alone at least from what I've seen so far. They do not really stress in-laws to be, and most times bride price is returned to the husband to be ( that one I don't support) other times the parents collect it and hand it over to the Alaga iduro or ijoko who hands it to the bride.( I'm very cool with this) and sometimes parents collect it (indifferent,it is their right and how it should be) . So this bride price/engagement list isn't an issue to me and my people don't even seek ideas or permission from villagers before they can coordinate their children's wedding. Do they even have committee of Elders? I doubt. They rather pride themselves on entertaining their guests and show that they worth a lot. They hardly look at what in-laws have to offer, however they can be extravagant and complete show offs. We are very good at Owanbe! grin grin
But you see in that region they pay millions of Naira to marry? Hmmmmmmmmmm lemme not just say a word because I may never understand why they act the way they do.
However while it is believed that too much financial burden on the husband to be does not have negative impact on the Marriage. Or isn't the reason to own a being? I will only ponder on what my reaction will be if I struggle so much, have to sacrifice my life savings to marry a woman who ends up adding nothing to Me than breeding babies. I will also wonder what my reaction will be if after the spending my new wife still demands a lot on my low account. I wonder what my reaction will be if such woman cheat or disrespect me. And lastly I wonder what my reaction in me if such woman ends up being an ingrate. Most times frustrations come when the pain is much more greater in comparison to the gain.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Nobody: 10:22am On Jun 27, 2020
jboixxx:

Marriage list is dependent on tribe/tradition/family and this is difficult to scrap but families can adjust to the level of the groom in order not to overburden him/his family (which some husbands use as reason to maltreat their wife/ves).

Lovely,you are endowed with wisdom,your type are scarce,husband material 100 percent.
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Biglittlelois(f): 10:23am On Jun 27, 2020
Righteousness89:
The Worst thing that could happen in marriage is Getting married to a person that is not Divinely Ordained for you!

The money you spend on your Marriage does not equate the happiness you will get...

The number of of people that celebrate you does not equate the degree of joy in your Home..

The publicity stunts and social media attraction your Marriage get does not equate the happiness..

God Almighty the Creator of the institution of Marriage, is not Committed to where he didn't send you!

Oga, the topic is about bride price and wedding list, not successful/unsuccessful marriages, if you want to be preaching about God every time, good and fine, but try not to go off topic, let your preaching align with present discussion, it shouldn't be that hard for you.

7 Likes

Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Righteousness89(m): 10:29am On Jun 27, 2020
Biglittlelois:

Oga, the topic is about bride price and wedding list, not successful/unsuccessful marriages, if you want to be preaching about God every time, good and fine, but try not to go off topic, let your preaching align with present discussion, it shouldn't be that hard for you.

Sister Why can't you just make your input and pass by!

This your attitude is a major problem in homes..

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by jboixxx: 10:30am On Jun 27, 2020
Plead:

Why is that?
Cuz it's "Africans "way of life! It'll take a while even if there's revolution against it. There's no marriage in Nigeria without those lists except the union is not backed by either or both families. Even if it's just a Kola, it'll be requested as bride list.
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jun 27, 2020
Righteousness89:
[s]The Worst thing that could happen in marriage is Getting married to a person that is not Divinely Ordained for you!

God Almighty the Creator of the institution of Marriage, is not Committed to where he didn't send you[/s]!

How’s this bs in anyway related to the op.
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Nobody: 10:39am On Jun 27, 2020
jboixxx:
Cuz it's "Africans "way of life! It'll take a while even if there's revolution against it. There's no marriage in Nigeria without those lists except the union is not backed by either or both families. Even if it's just a Kola, it'll be requested as bride list.

Africans way of life is quite archaic tho...
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by bukatyne(f): 10:43am On Jun 27, 2020
Plead:

Africans way of life is quite archaic tho...

What makes African way of life archaic? In comparison to what/ whose culture?

Because they have marriage lists and bride price?

Are there no 'bad' husbands in places where they pick themselves off the streets and go to the court?

4 Likes

Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Nobody: 10:46am On Jun 27, 2020
bukatyne:

What makes African way of life archaic? In comparison to what/ whose culture?

Because they have marriage lists and bride price?

Are there no 'bad' husbands in places where they pick themselves off the streets and go to the court?

Lol. What do you have to say on the op?
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by bukatyne(f): 10:57am On Jun 27, 2020
Plead:

Lol. What do you have to say on the op?

It depends on the culture.

In my place, not so much spent in BP (often returned// although some others have debated returning it is like dissolving the marriage) & ML and the wife's family hosts the ceremony and gives gift to the grooms' family.

That way, the bride's family usually spends more than the Grooms'.

So we are down to the symbolism and not cost.

While BP/ML might seem a reason to 'treat women as property', some men pay same and do not maltreat her.

They see it as pride to perform the rites and complete the process of 'having' their wives.

In some customs, the women pay dowry and are still treated like shit.

In some others, nothing is paid and women are still treated like shit.

Even if BP/ML is scraped, a man pre-disposed to maltreat his wife would just look for another anchor to do so.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Biglittlelois(f): 11:30am On Jun 27, 2020
Righteousness89:

Sister Why can't you just make your input and pass by!

This your attitude is a major problem in homes..

You are also a sexist with no sense of comprehension, where is the correlation

5 Likes

Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jun 27, 2020
bukatyne:

It depends on the culture.

In my place, not so much spent in BP (often returned// although some others have debated returning it is like dissolving the marriage) & ML and the wife's family hosts the ceremony and gives gift to the grooms' family.

That way, the bride's family usually spends more than the Grooms'.

So we are down to the symbolism and not cost.

While BP/ML might seem a reason to 'treat women as property', some men pay same and do not maltreat her.

They see it as pride to perform the rites and complete the process of 'having' their wives.

In some customs, the women pay dowry and are still treated like shit.

In some others, nothing is paid and women are still treated like shit.

Even if BP/ML is scraped, a man pre-disposed to maltreat his wife would just look for another anchor to do so.

Smirk....
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Romangalactic(m): 12:40pm On Jun 27, 2020
Any difference btw bride price and marriage list? undecided
All join abeg
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by missimelda01(f): 6:19pm On Jun 27, 2020
Bride price is symbolic and should not be scrapped. Marriage list depends on how greedy a family is, I think it should be scrapped... Or maybe made optional.

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by blank(f): 8:25pm On Jun 27, 2020
missimelda01:
Bride price is symbolic and should not be scrapped. Marriage list depends on how greedy a family is, I think it should be scrapped... Or maybe made optional.

I totally agree. I feel bride price should be a token. If you check most towns constitutions, amount is like 60 to 200naira.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by ibkayee(f): 8:51pm On Jun 27, 2020
Even if the marriage list is scrapped, they can still recuperate the loss via the bride price, they will still get what they’re after so I don’t really see much of a difference
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by merieam16(f): 9:01pm On Jun 27, 2020
Plead:

How’s this bs in anyway related to the op.
Are u nw d op? takin panadol on another person' headache...
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Ugaboy: 9:02pm On Jun 27, 2020
For me The two both of them are worst...
when will they start groom price...me too i want to feel valued
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Nobody: 1:08am On Jun 28, 2020
ibkayee:
Even if the marriage list is scrapped, they can still recuperate the loss via the bride price, they will still get what they’re after so I don’t really see much of a difference
How? They’d start collecting 2m instead of #100-5k for bride price? grin
Re: Bride Price Or Marriage List:which Is Worse? by Nobody: 1:09am On Jun 28, 2020
missimelda01:
Marriage list should be scrapped.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo -lady Marries Lady In The Church(lesbian Marriage) / Help! My Marriage Is Collapsing. Should I Move On Or Mend It? / Can 500k Organise A Moderate Wedding In This Economy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.