Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,172 members, 7,807,549 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season (22484 Views)

FORMULA ONE F1 Official SeasonThread - Revamped / FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season / Formula One Gee-Spot 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 11:06am On Jan 30, 2011
[size=14pt]Calling all F1 buffs[/size]

Oh yes people! Another season is cranking up! Winter testing starts in a few short days and all teams are churning out new steeds; so book your sumptious suites in our luxury hotel.
Calling all F1 buffs, petrol heads, technical guru's! Its the 2011 F1 season!!!

Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 11:18am On Jan 30, 2011
Ferrari have fired the first salvo in what promises to be an exciting season with all sorts of rule and specv changes. Behold the F150:

Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 11:21am On Jan 30, 2011
It promises to be another season that will leave us guessing. There are so many changes coming in that could make or mar our viewing enjoyment. Some think there have actually been way too many new rules and regs added.

[size=14pt]2011 season changes[/size]     

With moveable rear wings, a new tyre supplier, the return of KERS, a 107 percent qualifying rule and more, there are plenty of regulation changes that will have a major impact on the Formula One field in 2011…

Adjustable rear wings
Under new moveable bodywork regulations, drivers of suitably equipped cars can adjust the rear wing from the cockpit, altering its angle of incidence through a set range. (The moveable front wing, used in 2010, has been dropped.) The system’s availability is electronically governed - it can be used at any time in practice and qualifying, but during the race can only be activated when a driver is less than one second behind another car at pre-determined points on the track. The system is then deactivated once the driver brakes. In combination with KERS, it is designed to boost overtaking. Also like KERS, it isn’t compulsory.

No F-ducts or double diffusers
Any system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited from 2011 - that means no F-ducts. Tightening of the regulations on stepped floors means double diffusers in their original sense are also banned.

KERS
A badge of honour for some, a bugbear for others on its debut in 2009, KERS - or Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems - have been reintroduced in 2011 after the teams mutually agreed to suspend their use in 2010. KERS take the waste energy generated under braking and turns it into additional power. This is then made available to the driver in fixed quantities per lap via a steering wheel-mounted ‘boost button’. The systems are essentially the same as those seen in ’09, with no increase in the maximum permitted power (though that could change in subsequent seasons). The challenge for the engineers this time round is packaging. Last time KERS was run, refuelling was legal. Now, with it banned, fuel tanks are larger and finding room to accommodate battery packs etc is not as easy. Hence don’t be surprised if bodywork has grown in places, relative to 2010. On the plus side, minimum car weight has been upped by 20kg to 640kg, meaning larger drivers don’t pay the weight-distribution penalty they once did in a KERS-equipped car.

Wheel tethers
In response to several stray wheels over the course of the 2010 season, teams must now place a second tether on every wheel to improve safety. The two tethers must be contained in separate suspension members.

Tyres
Following Bridgestone’s decision to withdraw at the end of 2010 after 13 years in Formula One, Pirelli take over as the sport’s sole tyre supplier. The Italian company, last part of F1 in 1991, will provide all teams with rubber for the next three years.

Tyre allocation has been reduced for 2011, with 11 rather than 14 sets of dry-weather tyres available to each driver per race weekend. Drivers will receive three sets (two prime, one option) to use in P1 and P2 and must return one set after each session. A further eight sets will then be at their disposal for the rest of the weekend, although one set of each specification must be handed back before qualifying.

If a driver fails to use both specifications of dry-weather tyres during a (dry) race, they will be excluded from the results. If a (dry) race is suspended and can’t be restarted, and a driver has failed to use both specifications, 30 seconds will be added to the driver’s race time.

Gearboxes
As part of the sport’s cost-saving and environmental initiatives, gearboxes now need to last for five race weekends, instead of the previous four.

107% qualifying rule
During the first phase of qualifying, any driver who fails to set a lap within 107 percent of the fastest Q1 time will not be allowed to start the race. However, in exceptional circumstances, which could include a driver setting a suitable time during practice, the stewards may permit the car to start.

Team curfew
A clampdown on long working hours has been introduced, with a curfew on team personnel connected with the operation of the cars. They will not be allowed into the circuit between midnight and 6am when practice is scheduled to start at 10am the following day, or between 1am and 7am when practice starts at 11am. Each team is permitted four individual exceptions to this rule during the season.

Penalties
Stewards now have the power to impose a wider range of penalties for driving and other rule transgressions. Added to their armoury are time penalties, the right to exclude drivers from race results, or suspend them from subsequent events.

Team orders
The clause in the sporting regulations banning team orders has been removed

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8692/
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 4:04pm On Feb 03, 2011
Lewis Hamilton said he cannot wait to try out the 2011 McLaren after renewing his rivalry with Red Bull and Ferrari.

McLaren launch their new car in Berlin on Friday and Hamilton had to run a modified version of last season's car at the Valencia test.

He said: "I'm sure our new car is going to be good, so I'm pretty confident.

"Our car looks different to others and I hope it reflects on its performance. Ferrari and Red Bull look more like an evolution of last year's car."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9385750.stm

I sure am looking forward to Friday. Lewis words have really heightened my already high level of suspense. The McLaren must be something to see, it'll either be drop dead or fuggly; I don't think there'll be in-betweens. . . I'm willing to bet that it will be a beauty as usual, though.
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by montelik(m): 2:36pm On Feb 04, 2011
Why post a pic of Hamilton's helmet, next to champagne? Nothing for Lewis this year. grin
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 9:38pm On Feb 04, 2011
montelik:

Why post a pic of Hamilton's helmet, next to champagne? Nothing for Lewis this year. grin

Na my ojoro be dat! grin
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 9:55pm On Feb 04, 2011
Behold the McLaren MP4-26! Lets say its different (radical L shaped sidepod intakes) and lets pray its fast!

Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by mystikal(m): 11:51am On Feb 05, 2011
MP4-25 generated similar buzz. No?

but one thng is 4sure, Mclaren always has the best lookin car at launch
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by A40(m): 12:49pm On Feb 05, 2011
Beaf:

It promises to be another season that will leave us guessing. There are so many changes coming in that could make or mar our viewing enjoyment. Some think there have actually been way too many new rules and regs added.

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8692/
These new rules are sure to test the drivers ability to the limit. Especially the tyres and the gearboxes which would definitely impact transmission over the season

No double diffusers automatically means no show for Brawn Mercedes grin grin

The Ferrari car still looks like the most stable of all so far! Lets see how Alonso and Massa can make it work
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by A40(m): 4:49am On Feb 07, 2011
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by montelik(m): 3:15pm On Feb 07, 2011
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/05022011/58/button-team-orders-wrong.html

Ha. Jensen, honestly tell me that you don't know you are now no.2 to Lewis.
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by montelik(m): 3:32pm On Feb 07, 2011
Hamilton is already preparing his excuses. Stop blaming d equipment, d season hasn't even begun grin

"None of them worry me. I know I can beat whoever I go up against. I don't have a worry for anyone. The only concern can be that you don't have the car beneath you to do the job but I think that we do."
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/04022011/58/hamilton-doubts-schumacher-title-threat.html
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 10:57pm On Feb 09, 2011
Hehe! Jerez tests on the radar for tomorrow, lets see if the MP4-26 goes as fast as its innovations suggest. grin

Poor Kubica! God alone knows what he was doing rallying just a few days after setting the fastest time at Valencia, but these guys need more than your regular shot of adrenaline.
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 12:01pm On Feb 10, 2011
Lewis is out on track at Jerez. . . But wait! Whats with the rig hanging out the back of that Mclaren?! I wonder if its for measurements or to block photo's of something innovative?

That said, the car is a beauty, lets see if its fast.

Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 12:15pm On Feb 10, 2011
The McLaren (like most others) is also carrying thoughts for Robert Kubica:

[img]http://www.f1today.nl/foto.php?file=11327[/img]

Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by montelik(m): 8:43pm On Mar 02, 2011
I can see that once again Bernie has gone off his medication.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/01032011/58/ecclestone-wants-artificial-rain-f1.html
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Udevex: 4:07am On Mar 08, 2011
montelik:

I can see that once again Bernie has gone off his medication.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/01032011/58/ecclestone-wants-artificial-rain-f1.html

The medication was always rotten anyway. embarassed
artificial rain and oil! shocked

Thanks to Bennie and Bennie-like people in the FIA, we are likely to have a really shallow, super dumbed down season with very tame overtaking. The tyres wear out quickly, then there are all sorts of gadgets the driver can only use at certain times (e.g. KERS) and the abominable idea of the flexible wing that its a crime to defend against. So there's going to be practically no gung-ho, neck and neck racing this year.

Someone pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease give me a bucket to cry into! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by montelik(m): 7:53am On Mar 25, 2011
Its almost here. Looks like another Red Bull year. cool
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by hercules07: 5:16pm On Mar 25, 2011
Which kain red bull year, Ferrari is taking both the constructor and drivers crown this year, Webber and Vettel should please continue taking each other out and no more iffy strategy from Ferrari this year abeg
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 7:53pm On Mar 25, 2011
McLaren have pulled of a surprise by topping both morning and afternoon practice times today. Lewis in the morning, Jenson in the afternoon.
Nice! grin
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 7:25am On Mar 26, 2011
Wow!!!!! Ferarri just manage to squeeze through Q1! Nick Heidfeld shocked us by not getting through Q1 for Renault as well (his team mate was 3rd).
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 8:05am On Mar 26, 2011
Vettel was 100% in a class of his own! First blood goes to him.
McLaren sprang a real surprise and Ferarri bombed big time.

Melbourne Grand Poll Shootout:
1 Germany S Vettel Red Bull
2 Great Britain L Hamilton McLaren
3 Australia M Webber Red Bull
4 Great Britain J Button McLaren
5 Spain F Alonso Ferrari
6 Russian Federation V Petrov Renault
7 Germany N Rosberg Mercedes
8 Brazil F Massa Ferrari
9 Japan K Kobayashi Sauber
10 Switzerland S Buemi Toro Rosso
11 Germany M Schumacher Mercedes
12 Spain J Alguersuari Toro Rosso
13 Mexico S Perez Sauber
14 Great Britain P Di Resta Force India
15 Venezuela P Maldonado Williams
16 Germany A Sutil Force India
17 Brazil R Barrichello Williams
18 Germany N Heidfeld Renault
19 Finland H Kovalainen Lotus
20 Italy J Trulli Lotus
21 Germany T Glock Virgin
22 Belgium J d'Ambrosio Virgin
23 Italy V Liuzzi Hispania
24 India N Karthikeyan Hispania
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by montelik(m): 8:40am On Mar 26, 2011
Red Bull are still d team to beat. grin

Surprised to see Schumi not making into d top10, despite strong performances in testing.
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 7:02am On Mar 27, 2011
Race about to start. I expect Jenson to push his KERS button and take Mark and maybe Lewis.
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by montelik(m): 7:25am On Mar 27, 2011
Webber is just falling my hand after a decent start he has just let Hamilton run away from him. If Button doesn't get himself together he may end up costing Mclaren a chance at d constructors championship.
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 8:35am On Mar 27, 2011
Vettel wins.
Lewis comes second, but lets hope he isn't excluded for wearing out his bargeboard. Nice one for Petrov, though for coming 3rd.
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by montelik(m): 8:38am On Mar 27, 2011
D more things change, d more they remain d same. Vettel is on another level.  cool
Not bad for a "drinks company" eh Lewis. grin

Great drive by Lewis to finish 2nd. Webber was disappointing, your home grand prix, starting p3 with a great car in your hands yet couldn't make d top 3.  sad
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 8:58am On Mar 27, 2011
Its going to be Lewis year though. He's easily the fastest driver and McLaren ain't too far behind this year, so I expect them to quickly catch Red Bull and the, overhaul them in development.
Nice one for Perez though, got some points on his first outing.
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Nobody: 3:22pm On Mar 28, 2011
@ beaf Vettel still remains d man. Hamilton is a has bin until he wins a race. Great driver though. I think Alonso is a better driver dan Hamilton n Vettel. I love Vettel but still has dis youthful exuberances
This season mite be better dan last year.
Start your engined guys. Vrommmmm,
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by Beaf: 6:27pm On Mar 29, 2011
Darthmaul:

@ beaf Vettel still remains d man. Hamilton is a has bin until he wins a race. Great driver though. I think Alonso is a better driver dan Hamilton n Vettel. I love Vettel but still has dis youthful exuberances
This season mite be better dan last year.
Start your engined guys. Vrommmmm,

That is dead and buried. Lewis is regarded as nothing short of a miracle by ALL team bosses.
Lewis and Alonso were in the same team with the same equipment in Lewis rookie year. . . And look what happened! grin
That is despite being told to be Alonso's helper. I recall diplomatic angry Lewis was in Monaco that same year when he was told to slow down and allow Alonso win (handing leadership of the championship from Lewis to Alonso, as well angry), not only that, his pit stops were obviously compromised.
The FIA indeed investigated McLaren after the race, but the good thing about Lewis is his head is never going to get bowed, and after that, he set out to beat Alonso fair and square.

Lewis is way way above the other drivers, both in car craft and maturity, here's what he said after the Monaco race (even if between clenched teeth):

"I tried to attack him and wanted to win if I could, but I have to accept that I am in my rookie season and he has number one on his car and I have number two. I am the second driver and so I must accept that and respect that for the team."

-Lewis Hamilton (Monaco 2007)

http://svenschindler.typepad.com/trinity/2007/05/index.html

. . .Telling words.
A bit more about Monaco:

"But after the race, Ron said to Fernando: 'Be nice to Lewis because we had to (pit) stop him early.' And Fernando said: 'What do you mean? I was just cruising.'

"He got very annoyed about that because it was like Ron saying we handed you the victory. Even after that, the relationship was unrecoverable."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2010/05/alonso_overreaching_in_reargua.html

Now, some quotes by those in the know about both drivers:

"Lewis is clearly a very special driver. We have never seen anything like this in F1 before. It's almost inexplicable. I think the word phenomenon just about fits. It makes you think maybe there is a god after all. He is a great story not just for Ron [Dennis] and McLaren, but for everybody involved in motorsport."

-Frank Williams (team boss)

"The thing he really hates is being beaten by his team-mate, and when it happened with us he could be come irrational - I suspect that will be the same again," he said.

"He's also quite nationalistic so being beaten in Barcelona will hurt that little bit more."

-Pat Symonds (Alonso's ex=boss at Renault)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6655491.stm

"He said that Alonso used to throw his toys out of the pram when things didn’t go his way, but because he won in the end it was okay, but in Hamilton “he has run into a brick wall”.

-Giancarlo Fisichella (Alonso’s team mate at Renault)
Re: Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season by montelik(m): 8:00am On Mar 30, 2011
“I don’t think so,” Hamilton told The Guardian, when asked if Vettel is his new ‘nemesis’ in the sport. “If he continues to have a car like he does now, then maybe, but I think when we get equal pace we will see some serious racing. Maybe he is the new Mansell? Not that I would rate him like I do Mansell.

“I think my nemesis and my closest rival will always be Fernando, just because of my history, when I started out. I see him as my Prost, if we were Prost and Senna. If you were to say ‘choose a driver’ [that I would like to be], I would clearly choose Ayrton. And maybe I would put him as Prost.”

The Briton’s put-down of Vettel – the man who in Abu Dhabi last November supplanted him as the youngest-ever F1 World Champion – only rubs salt into the wounds for Red Bull, a team he scathingly labelled in the build-up to Melbourne as merely ‘a drinks company’ with no real heritage in the sport, unlike McLaren or Ferrari.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/29032011/23/hamilton-vettel-mansell-only-quite-good.html

Lewis is a really talented driver, but with d way he talks sometimes and d noise that surrounds him one would forget he only has 1 WDC under his belt. Yet there he is talking like he is some sort of veteran of f1, d zen master of driving.

He can't even claim to have been d youngest WDC anymore, yet him still dey run him mouth. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

13th All-African Games: Final Medal standings as Nigeria Finishes Second / 12 Catégories Of Fans/persons You Are Sure To See In A Football Viewing Center / Iheanacho Voted Leicester’s Man Of The Match After Wonder Goal Vs Crystal Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.