Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,664 members, 7,801,919 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

3 Reasons Why God Might Not Be Answering Your Prayers - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 3 Reasons Why God Might Not Be Answering Your Prayers (298 Views)

Signs That God Might Be Calling You Into Full-time Ministry / When Your Prayers And Fasting Is Real, They Will Produce These Results / The Real Reason Why God Prohibits Women Pastors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Reasons Why God Might Not Be Answering Your Prayers by Holuwarseun15(m): 6:14am On Jun 28, 2020
God is a faithful God, He is a loving God and a caring father. He cares for us and loves us, not because we are faithful but because of How caring and loving He is.

But, people do ask, why doesn't God answers prayers even though He loves them?
As I've said earlier, God is a merciful God and in Matthew 7:7, He told us that we should ask him and we will receive. But why doesn't God answer some prayers?

All Christians should take note of this as I'll be explaining the three main reasons why some prayers aren't answered?

1. You Didn't Have Faith

A lack of faith can certainly hinder one’s prayers. James declares that we must pray “in faith, nothing doubting” (Jas. 1:6). He describes the doubter as being like the restless sea. He has two minds—one of faith and the other of doubt. Hence, shall not receive his requests from the Lord.

Elsewhere we read that true faith requires us to believe that God “is a rewarder of them that seek after him” (Heb. 11:6).
In a world of doubt and confusion, how can we have confidence that God is truly listening and responding to our prayers?

How can you pray to a person you don't even have faith in? How can you expect a person give you something when you believe that he is not capable of giving it to you?

Lack of faith hinders prayers because it shows a sign of doubt. When you look at the woman with the issue of blood, she never thought twice before she touched Jesus cloth. This is because, she thinks that, when she clothes His clothes without Jesus praying for her, she's going to get healed.
So what happened when she touched it? She was healed IMMEDIATELY.
Why was she healed IMMEDIATELY? This was because of the FAITH he had in Jesus.

Look at the Roman emperor who came to Jesus about his sick servant (Matthew 8 vs 5). When Jesus told him that he is going to his home to lay his hands on his sick servant, the Roman emperor said no.
Why did he say no?
This is because they believe that Jesus can you a servant without even going to his house to his hands on him. Can't you see that this faith is great?

So Jesus didn't even have to go to his house to heal his servant. With only a word, the servant was healed IMMEDIATELY.
Why was he healed IMMEDIATELY? This was because of the FAITH he had in Jesus.

These two scenarios show that Faith speed-ups your prayer and makes it get answered quickly.

2. Sin

Impurity Inhibits Intercession

If prayer is to reach the throne of grace, the supplicant must strive with deadly seriousness to conform his life to the holy will of the Lord God.

Isaiah warned Israel of old that God would not hear them because of their sins (Isa. 59:2). The Savior solemnly taught that we must abide in him and allow his words to abide in us if we would have our petitions fully answered (Jn. 15:7).

Peter also declared that “the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears unto their supplication” (1 Pet.3:12). Yes, the prayers of the righteous person avail much (Jas. 5:6).

Sin is just like dirt. Using yourself as a real-life example, you just came back from work wearing a white shirt. Then your 5-year-old child runs coming to you with death all over his body after playing in the mud for hours. Will you carry him happily with your new white shirt or you will tell him to go wash up before you can carry him?
I know most of you advise your child to go wash up before you could carry them and this is how it is with God also.

Before God can answer your prayer with open hands, you need to wash yourself away from stains, meaning that, you should wash yourself from sins and impurities, stay away from sins, stay away from evils and do what God wants.

Doing this will make God welcome you with open arms and accept your prayer of request happily.

3. You never forgave those that offended you

One of the most utterly devasting things that the Christian can do to hinder, indeed, to virtually cancel the effect of his prayers is to harbour a surly, unforgiving attitude toward others he feels have sinned against him (whether is real or imagined).

Judgment is without mercy to him that shows no mercy (Jas. 2:13). Peter once asked the Lord: “How oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? until seven times?”

So how can you expect your prayers to be answered when you are even thinking of how to harm the person that offended you?

Matthew 5:23 shed more light on this as it says, "Therefore if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you.
24, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First, go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift."

This simply means that, if you have a fight to Settle with the person that offended you, it is better to first settle the fight and come to pray after settling the problem between the both of you.
If you are still thinking about how to do evil to the person that offended you, your prayer might not be answered because you came to God with an evil heart and not a cheerful heart.

These are the three things that hinder prayers mostly and when these things are still in someone's life, the person's prayer might not be answered.

So before we round up, let's say these 3 prayers to round everything up

1. Lord, everywhere I might have sinned against you, please forgive me in your mercy and wash me with your precious blood so that I will be clean.

2. Lord I give my life to you today, I declare that my FAITH in you as you are now my rock and my salvation.

3. Anything that may hinder my prayers as from today on, please take them away from my way as I begin to build my faith in you.

Thanks for taking your time to go through this.

M sorry 4 all typo errors I might have made

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons Why God Might Not Be Answering Your Prayers by Lordjiggs09(m): 6:21am On Jun 28, 2020
Thank you Lord.
Re: 3 Reasons Why God Might Not Be Answering Your Prayers by malvisguy212: 6:45am On Jun 28, 2020
There has been times in my life when I have been up and down, times when prayer seems to come easy, and times when prayer doesn't come easy at all. There is something, I think, in man that makes it hard to pray, but what is it? Why should anyone have difficulty in praying?

Is it because we think that God will not hear us? That's a possibility. I've heard people speak about getting on their knees to pray and having the feeling that their prayers were bouncing off the ceiling, going no higher than the ceiling, that nobody was hearing it but them. They don't think God is actually hearing what they are saying.

They may feel that way because they feel unworthy, or because they feel God is down on them. They may feel that God has somehow shut them up and won't listen to them.

Is it because we don't think it will change anything? And if that's the case, is it because we just don't believe? Or that we believe that God is going to do what He's going to do regardless of what we ask? “What's the point in praying about this? I'm going to pray and I'm going to ask God to do this, but God already knows what's best, and He's going to do what's best, and I'm going to say 'Thy will be done,' and what's the point in asking because His will is going to be done anyway?” Maybe we don't pray a lot because we think it isn't going to change anything. God will just do what he's going to do whether we ask Him to do it or not.

SOLUTION;
Luke 11:1-2, "And it came to pass,
that, as he was praying in a
certain place, when he ceased,
one of his disciples said unto
him, Lord, teach us to pray, as
John also taught his disciples.
And he said unto them, When ye
pray, say…"

Now, most people can, without reading their bible, can site what Jesus said about how you are to pray. So, Jesus gives what is called “the Lord's Prayer,” but he continues, he's NOT THROUGH TEACHING THEM HOW TO PRAY! The “Lord's Prayer” is not all he said in response to the question, “Lord, teach us to pray.”the Lord prayer was just like an idea on what to say when praying , the next verse gives us the right attitude;continue;

Luke 11:5-7, "And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves; For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him? And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee."

"Jesus' listeners would have considered the response of the man who was in bed absolutely unconscionable"

Luke 11:8, "I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet BECAUSE OF HIS IMPORTUNITY he will rise and give him as many as he needeth."

What's going on here? Well the man's not going to go away! He's going to stay down there; he's going to keep on knocking on the door. He's going to say, “get up and get me some bread!
I'm not going to let you sleep until you get up and come out here and give me three loaves of bread.

The word for “importunity” in the Greek literally means “SHAMLESNESS.” Without shame. I think that's absolutely fascinating, because a modest man would say, “Gee.i asked and he didn't give me any bread. Well, I guess I better go away now because I must be causing him a lot of inconvenience.” No, he is shameless!

THERE ARE THREE EXAMPLES OF IMPORTUNITY; EXAMPLE ONE
Luke 18:1-8, "And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint; Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man: And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary. And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man; YET BECAUSE THIS WIDOW TROUBLETH ME,I WILL AVENGE HER,LEST BY HER CONTINUE COMING SHE WEARY ME. And the Lord said,Hear what the unjust judge saith. And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily."

Here is a judge that was fearless, and would not avenge this widow's adversary. But she kept asking him OVER and OVER and the judge finally gave in to her requests, lest she weary him by her continual coming.

EXAMPLE TWO:
Luke 18:35-39, "And it came to pass, that as he was come nigh unto Jericho, a certain blind man sat by the way side begging: And hearing the multitude pass by, he asked what it meant. And they told him, that Jesus of Nazareth passeth by. And he cried, saying, Jesus, thou Son of David, have mercy on me. And they which went before REBUKE HIM, that he should HOLD his peace…"

They rebuked him. They told him to
shut up and be quiet! To stay out of
the way.BUT

Luke 18:39, "...but he cried so much the more, Thou Son of David, have mercy on me."

What happens to this man if he shuts up? He's not healed. Yet, there were people there who were trying to talk him out of it, telling him to hush. He didn't hush, he kept yelling. He cried
out!

Luke 18:40-43, "And Jesus stood, and commanded him to be brought unto him: and when he was come near, he asked him, Saying, What wilt thou that I shall do unto thee? And he said, Lord, that I may receive my sight. And Jesus said unto him, Receive thy sight: THY FAITH HATH SAVED THEE. And immediately he received his sight, and followed him, glorifying God: and all the people, when they saw it, gave praise unto God."

What's faith? Is it a feeling? Is it a mood? An emotion? Faith is a persistence, a boldness. It was his boldness and persistence that got this
man his eyesight. It's not a mood, it's not a feeling. Think about it. Jesus said his bold, persistent, aggressive faith has saved him!

EXAMPLE THREE:
Matthew 15:22, "And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil."

This is a Gentile woman, and Jesus did not answer her a word. Didn't say a thing to her, just ignored her! Actually, strange women weren't supposed to be talking to strange men like this. Jesus' manners may seem rude to you, but they were the norm for this time.

Matthew 15:23-26, "But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, SEND HER AWAY; FOR SHE CRIETH AFTER US. But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, HELP ME. But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs."

First he ignores her, and then he insults her! “This is not for you, you dog! This is for the children. You Gentiles are not in that category of God's children.BUT SHE KEEP ON PRESSING ON:

Matthew 15:27, "And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table."

This is similar to what happened to a man named Jacob when he wrestled, physically, with God, and who put God in a hold and said, "...I will not let thee go, except thou bless me" (Genesis 32:24-30). He wrestled all night long and said he would not let him go until he blesses him! God even put the hollow of Jacob's thigh out of joint, and he still wouldn't let him go! These people would stand up to God, believe it or not. This woman continued to persist in the argument. And what happened?

Matthew 15:28, "Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, GREAT IS THY FAITH : be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole
from that very hour."

What's he talking about? He's talking about her boldness, her persistence, her drive, her energy, her willingness to hang in there and not give up on her daughter's sake. Sometimes we can find more faith for our children than we can for ourselves. This woman certainly did. Notice Jesus' response when he saw this kind of faith, this kind of persistent boldness. He said, “I'll give you anything you want!” And her daughter was made whole from that very hour. And Jesus
told her that her bold, persistent, aggressive faith has saved her daughter.

Continue from the Lord prayer;

Luke 11:9-10, "And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."

One thing you can say for sure is that a man who doesn't ask is not going to get it, a man who isn't looking for it isn't going to find it, and a man who doesn't knock on the door will never get it open.

Luke 11:11-13, "If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?"

You need to understand, the point that is being made here is not that God is a bad neighbor, the point is that if you expect to be heard of God you're going to have to knock and you're going to have to be persistent in what you do, and you are going to have to be shameless.

CONCLUSION;
Well, the scriptural doctrine of faith is an ACTIVE , persistent, bold approach to God. We seem to think that faith is a PASSIVE virtue; that it's a set of BELIEFS or a way of THINKING , whereas in scripture it's a way of acting!
That's where, possibly, the difference
may come in.https://www.nairaland.com/2318252/reason-why-prayer-not-being

2 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why God Might Not Be Answering Your Prayers by Dtruthspeaker: 7:21am On Jun 28, 2020
Another one is, Praying With An Interest in Mind.
That is your Prayer is Not Bonafide or Good!

Another one is When Your Prayer is Outside God's Plan or Will!

Then, the Last and Highest One I have seen on the face of the earth, Una no go like this one... U No Be God Pikin, na Stranger U Be. So E no go dey easily answer your prayers. And this is another part where people do not see the Goodness of God in that He still grants the petitions of All, good and evil alike.

But more for the Righteous and very little for Strangers but Not None At All, like, no single man always grants the prayer of Strangers as evidenced even here on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons Why God Might Not Be Answering Your Prayers by punisha: 7:24am On Jun 28, 2020
In summary...
Sin, unforgiving heart and having no faith....
May God help us In this race of life.

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons Why God Might Not Be Answering Your Prayers by JourneytoEL(f): 7:53am On Jun 28, 2020
so true, another is because we want to use it for evil. e.g you want to give you iPhone pro so you can "pepper your enemies". James 4:3, You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures.

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons Why God Might Not Be Answering Your Prayers by shesawesome(f): 8:15am On Jun 28, 2020
It's not easy to forgive some people,but for your own sanity sake you have to let go and forgive

2 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why God Might Not Be Answering Your Prayers by Kobojunkie: 6:06pm On Jun 29, 2020
punisha:
In summary...
Sin, unforgiving heart and having no faith....
May God help us In this race of life.
But what is faith? How do you have it? How do you increase it? undecided

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

NORTHERN NIGERIA KILLINGS: My Opinion Trending On Facebook(screen Shot) / Imam Calls Christian Prince / Imminency Of The Rapture And One World Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.