Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,218 members, 7,780,407 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:46 PM

Germany And Netherland - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Germany And Netherland (3849 Views)

Nigerian Man Refuses To Enter "Driverless" Bus In Netherland (pics/video) / My Experience Living In Germany And Trying To Learn German On My Own / Jobless In Netherland, But Currently Building Two Houses In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Germany And Netherland by Edosir(m): 4:29pm On Jun 29, 2020
Bro please open another thread na. I learnt so much from the last one before it was derailed. And I don't know if you have any idea if the home office in Berlin is open as I'm currently waiting for sponsorship letter after securing admission at University of Passau. Anticipate your response
Danielhouston:

If your course of study is taught in English, you don’t have to learn German before you apply for admission or visa. People just believe basic German knowledge would help your visa application but that’s a myth. You’ll be granted visa without German language as long as your course is taught in English.

1 Like

Re: Germany And Netherland by pquaver(m): 4:38pm On Jun 29, 2020
Danielhouston:

The answer to this is subjective and not one that a google search can correctly answer. Both German and Dutch have 6 countries where they are the official language. But Dutch is more popular around the world and spoken in many more countries as an unofficial but popular language.
Even in South Africa, Afrikaans language is basically Dutch, but they won’t say Dutch is their official language. They call it “Afrikaans”

Have you heard Swiss-German? It is called German but even the Germans cannot understand it. A Swiss person can understand german spoken in Germany, perfectly. But most Germans cannot understand the german spoken in Switzerland. Still, they say an official language in Switzerland is German. Same with Luxembourg, though it is more similar.
Whereas, in the Dutch speaking countries, Dutch is Dutch, just different accents.

For example: English is the official language of Nigeria but Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa are native languages. How many Nigerians can actually speak English? Pidgin is even more popular in Nigeria than English, but it is not listed as an official language. But google would tell you that English is our official language.

A Nigerian who speaks Pidgin English can also speak and understand proper English. But a British man who speaks proper English cannot understand Pidgin English. The British man would definitely hear some English words in the pidgin but he would struggle to understand what we’re saying. That is what Swiss-German and German looks like. Except that Switzerland calls “German” an official language, contrary to Pidgin English.

Someone who learns Dutch would find it easier to communicate in countries where Dutch is spoken, than German language in german speaking countries. Dutch is also easier to learn than German.

This argument is useless, I know. But don’t mind me, I just feel like arguing today.
PS: I brought this up with my colleagues now and the entire office is arguing about it with lots of noise. German vs Dutch

All you said I will answer the one I know very well.. I live in Hamburg and my younger lives in Zurich. I have visited Zurich and Luzern many times.. What you are talking about is Hochdeutsch and Dialect.. ALL GERMANS UNDERSTAND HOCHDEUTSCH IRRESPECTIVE OF WHERE YOU COME FROM. Be it Switzerland, lichtenstein, Austria, Germany or Luxembourg they all understand Hochdeutsch. Swiss German I cannot understand because it is dialect and same way not all Germans can understand Schwäbisch or Bavaria.. The Austrian can understand Bavarian dialect better than a Hamburger or some1 from Dresden. Someone from Niedersachsen cannot understand Platt deutsch.. So it's like that.. Swiss German is a dialect. what is used in school and officially is Hochdeutsch.. Same as all deutsch speaking countries.

4 Likes

Re: Germany And Netherland by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 29, 2020
pquaver:

All you said I will answer the one I know very well.. I live in Hamburg and my younger lives in Zurich. I have visited Zurich and Luzern many times.. What you are talking about is Hochdeutsch and Dialect.. ALL GERMANS UNDERSTAND HOCHDEUTSCH IRRESPECTIVE OF WHERE YOU COME FROM. Be it Switzerland, lichtenstein, Austria, Germany or Luxembourg they all understand Hochdeutsch. Swiss German I cannot understand because it is dialect and same way not all Germans can understand Schwäbisch or Bavaria.. The Austrian can understand Bavarian dialect better than a Hamburger or some1 from Dresden. Someone from Niedersachsen cannot understand Platt deutsch.. So it's like that.. Swiss German is a dialect. what is used in school and officially is Hochdeutsch.. Same as all deutsch speaking countries.

Excuse me, “Hochdeutsch” is standard German or proper German. The definition of what is considered “proper German” depends on the country that is speaking it. To say ALL Germans understand hochdeutsch, no matter where they come from, is a generalized statement. What Germany considers “hochdeutsch” may not be what a Swiss would consider it to be. That’s like American and British English and arguing which is more correct. That has nothing to do with this conversation anyway.

We’re talking about spoken languages, not about which vocabulary is correct or incorrect. I’ve also been to and worked in Switzerland and that shaped my opinion but I’m not a native German speaker. I’d rather take the opinion of a German and a Swiss who are native speakers and hear what they have to say regarding this.
Pls don’t mistake vocabulary with accent. Bayerns have an accent and “very few” native words, Swiss-German contains differences in vocabulary.
Re: Germany And Netherland by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jun 29, 2020
Edosir:
Bro please open another thread na. I learnt so much from the last one before it was derailed. And I don't know if you have any idea if the home office in Berlin is open as I'm currently waiting for sponsorship letter after securing admission at University of Passau. Anticipate your response

Yes they’re open but only handling stuff online at the moment. Tell the person offering the sponsorship letter to apply online and send the application documents via post. They’ll reply via post with further information. Usually if the documents are correct, they can get the sponsorship letter immediately.
Re: Germany And Netherland by seunny4lif(m): 5:27pm On Jun 29, 2020
Austrians German is diff from Germany German
Swiss German is diff from Germany German
Same goes to all of them
I have worked with both Swiss-German citizens and Austria citizens.
Those guys German are really too strong.
Just like British English is really easy to understand compared to Irish-English or Canada-English or USA-English and worst of all India-English

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Germany And Netherland by pquaver(m): 5:28pm On Jun 29, 2020
Danielhouston:

Excuse me, “Hochdeutsch” is standard German or proper German. The definition of what is considered “proper German” depends on the country that is speaking it. To say ALL Germans understand hochdeutsch, no matter where they come from, is a generalized statement. What Germany considers “hochdeutsch” may not be what a Swiss would consider it to be. That’s like American and British English and arguing which is more correct. That has nothing to do with this conversation anyway.

We’re talking about spoken languages, not about which vocabulary is correct or incorrect. I’ve also been to and worked in Switzerland and that shaped my opinion but I’m not a native German speaker. I’d rather take the opinion of a German and a Swiss who are native speakers and hear what they have to say regarding this.
Pls don’t mistake vocabulary with accent. Bayerns have an accent and “very few” native words, Swiss-German contains differences in vocabulary.
Oga I don't need to argue.. Hochdeutsch is standard German with its Grammatik.. I attend university in Germany and I did my course in German as language of tuition.. Same as my bro in Switzerland.. I am not talking of vocabulary or accent.. I am talking of the language as a whole.. If you listen to the TV or radio, read newspaper or even receive official communication like when I wrote German embassy in Switzerland any German, I or anyother person who understands German regardless of where you come from or learnt German will clearly understand what is there.. But when the Swiss speak to you in Swiss German that is what you as a non Swiss will not understand just like when an Austrian speaks dialect to someone from Hamburg.. But the moment he speaks standards everyone understands.. If you come to Deutschland as swiss you will understand all in radio, television and newspapers but them no born you well to understand plattdeutsch. When even neighbors Niedersachsen cannot understand.. It is as easy as that.. Swiss children are taught in school with hochdeutsch and not swiss German..

Are you aware that having studied in Germany in German you can pursue any course of your choice in Switzerland in German and you do not need any language course.. You will just go direct to lectures or even if it is work you don't not need any language course why do you think it is so if.. The German hochdeutsch is not the samelevel with Swiss Hochdeutsch? Why will a school tell you to start lectures knowing fully well you do not understand what is being said there..
Just like in Igbo.. We have Central Igbo that if I speak all Igbos including igboid languages will understand me but if I go to my dialect the situation changes not every one will understand..

What you have is a slight difference in vocabulary eg. The Swiss will say.. Ich habe eine Billet gekauft.
German will say: Ich habe eine Fahrkarte gekauft..
Both meaning same thing: I bought a ticket..

4 Likes

Re: Germany And Netherland by Edosir(m): 5:47pm On Jun 29, 2020
Thanks bro really appreciate your fast response. How is life generally in Passau. Sorry for my plenty questions
Danielhouston:

Yes they’re open but only handling stuff online at the moment. Tell the person offering the sponsorship letter to apply online and send the application documents via post. They’ll reply via post with further information. Usually if the documents are correct, they can get the sponsorship letter immediately.
Re: Germany And Netherland by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jun 29, 2020
pquaver:
Oga I don't need to argue.. Hochdeutsch is standard German with its Grammatik.. I attend university in Germany and I did my course in German as language of tuition.. Same as my bro in Switzerland.. I am not talking of vocabulary or accent.. I am talking of the language as a whole.. If you listen to the TV or radio, read newspaper or even receive official communication like when I wrote German embassy in Switzerland any German, I or anyother person who understands German regardless of where you come from or learnt German will clearly understand what is there.. [b]But when the Swiss speak to you in Swiss German that is what you as a non Swiss will not understand [/b]just like when an Austrian speaks dialect to someone from Hamburg.. But the moment he speaks standards everyone understands.. If you come to Deutschland as swiss you will understand all in radio, television and newspapers but them no born you well to understand plattdeutsch. When even neighbors Niedersachsen cannot understand.. It is as easy as that.. Swiss children are taught in school with hochdeutsch and not swiss German..

You make it sound as if you’re the only one living in Germany and understands German. I also studied here and I speak German. Regardless, we’re both foreigners and not native speakers. Like I said, this is just an argument with different opinions. Nothing we state here is 100% fact. Even Germans have different opinions about this. Don’t state your opinion like it’s a fact. Just say what you know.

Like I said, Swiss-German is the native language of Switzerland. I also said that a Swiss person can understand a German but most Germans cannot understand Swiss-German. Just like in Nigeria we speak pidgin but can still understand proper English. But a British man cannot understand pidgin, even though he hears some English words in it. Did you read my comment?

The point is: saying German is the official language of Switzerland is a bit controversial to someone who learned german in Germany and moves to Switzerland. A German person cannot fully understand the german in Switzerland. Unless they come across an educated Swiss who can speak standard higher German (hochdeutsch).

Also note that not all Swiss can speak standard German (hochdeutsch). It depends on level of education. Swiss-German is what is widely spoken in Switzerland. What if the German person comes across an uneducated Swiss?

Meanwhile someone who speaks/learns dutch can understand Dutch anywhere. Even with different pronunciations. Hence the German vs Dutch comparison.
Re: Germany And Netherland by pquaver(m): 6:26pm On Jun 29, 2020
seunny4lif:
Same goes to all of them
Just like British English is really easy to understand compared to Irish-English or Canada-English or USA-English and worst of all India-English
. Bro pls I will like to ask you do you speak Deutsch? If no I won't go further if you do.. Then I want to ask you who will find it easier to understand someone from bayern dome from Vienna or someone from Berlin? Just like the other guy said its like English America and British.. Is the grammar not the same? How you build present tense, past tense and past particle is not same? Passive tense all what is different is little vocabularies like colour/color and accent.. Are you telling me a British man can not understand what is said in CNN and an American cannot understand BBC? Hochdeutsch is stand and on same level from Austria to Swiss to Luxembourg to lichtenstein to sudtirol and german Belgium.. What is totally different is dialect simple. I don't know where this arguement that swiss cannot understand German hochdeutsch who ever says that does not speak and understand German is that simple
Re: Germany And Netherland by pquaver(m): 6:29pm On Jun 29, 2020
Danielhouston:

You make it sound as if you’re the only one living in Germany and understands German. I also studied here and I speak German. Regardless, we’re both foreigners and not native speakers. Like I said, this is just an argument with different opinions. Nothing we state here is 100% fact. Even Germans have different opinions about this. Don’t state your opinion like it’s a fact. Just say what you know.

Like I said, Swiss-German is the native language of Switzerland. I also said that a Swiss person can understand a German but most Germans cannot understand Swiss-German. Just like in Nigeria we speak pidgin but can still understand proper English. But a British man cannot understand pidgin, even though he hears some English words in it. Did you read my comment?

The point is: saying German is the official language of Switzerland is a bit controversial to someone who learned german in Germany and moves to Switzerland. A German person cannot fully understand the german in Switzerland. Unless they come across an educated Swiss who can speak standard higher German (hochdeutsch).

Also note that not all Swiss can speak standard German (hochdeutsch). It depends on level of education. Swiss-German is what is widely spoken in Switzerland. What if the German person comes across an uneducated Swiss?

Meanwhile someone who speaks/learns dutch can understand Dutch anywhere. Even with different pronunciations. Hence the German vs Dutch comparison.
oga u are still arguing dialect.. I am talking of hochdeutsch.. Are you saying if a transfer student comes from Swiss int German University he will not understand the lecturer? If this is your argument then oga you did not school in Germany if you did you studied in English is as easy as that. Is like saying mbaise Igbo(swiss German) is different Igbo since mbaise cannot understand nsukka(another German dialect).. Oga there is a central igbo(Hochdeutsch) which if mbaise speaks it nsukka will understand. So if mbaise goes to nsukka and meets illiterate nsukka that cannot understand central Igbo that will make central Igbo different? Whether he understand it or not is not because he is illiterate is not will change it.. it central Igbo is that is central Igbo and that is standard.. I don't know what you are arguing really..
Re: Germany And Netherland by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jun 29, 2020
pquaver:
oga u are still arguing dialect.. I am talking of hochdeutsch.. Are you saying if a transfer student comes from Swiss int German University he will not understand the lecturer? If this is your argument then oga you did not school in Germany if you did you studied in English is as easy as that

You really don’t read to understand. You read to argue. Didn’t I just say that an educated Swiss can speak “hochdeutsch”? Are lecturers and students not part of education? I’m tired. I’d rather take up the discussion with someone else.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Germany And Netherland by pquaver(m): 6:36pm On Jun 29, 2020
Danielhouston:

You really don’t read to understand. You read to argue. Didn’t I just say that an educated Swiss can speak “hochdeutsch”? Are lecturers and students not part of education? I’m tired. I’d rather take up with discussion with someone.

So why argue in the first place go back and read my post you quoted..
Re: Germany And Netherland by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jun 29, 2020
pquaver:

So why argue in the first place go back and read my post you quoted..

You’re re-editing your comments lol
Re: Germany And Netherland by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jun 29, 2020
From Wikipedia.

Re: Germany And Netherland by seunny4lif(m): 6:50pm On Jun 29, 2020
cool
Lived in Munich and worked with RB, which is one of the biggest consulting company in Germany
Germany has standard German language thru the country
Both Austria and Swiss co-workers all write in standard German and you wouldn’t notice, If you don’t speak or write German

quaver:
. Bro pls I will like to ask you do you speak Deutsch? If no I won't go further if you do.. Then I want to ask you who will find it easier to understand someone from bayern dome from Vienna or someone from Berlin? Just like the other guy said its like English America and British.. Is the grammar not the same? How you build present tense, past tense and past particle is not same? Passive tense all what is different is little vocabularies like colour/color and accent.. Are you telling me a British man can not understand what is said in CNN and an American cannot understand BBC? Hochdeutsch is stand and on same level from Austria to Swiss to Luxembourg to lichtenstein to sudtirol and german Belgium.. What is totally different is dialect simple. I don't know where this arguement that swiss cannot understand German hochdeutsch who ever says that does not speak and understand German is that simple
Re: Germany And Netherland by pquaver(m): 6:52pm On Jun 29, 2020
Danielhouston:

You’re re-editing your comments lol

I am nor editing I add facts for you.. I do not know what you are trying to achieve.. With your hankypanky.. I am not in an argue to to win but I stand my ground on facts.. I did not argue on Dutch if you notice.. But for Deutsch both Swiss and German I will go any length because I know it well. I started learning German at an earlier age and I started with Swiss German and The text book Deutsch in der Schweiz before I migrated and have master the language so I make my argument from a position of strength before I tell you something I know it for a fact.. Go and ask your native speaker friends about Hochdeutsch and dialects

1 Like

Re: Germany And Netherland by seunny4lif(m): 6:53pm On Jun 29, 2020
cool
You will understand the lecturers because it’s standard German, they are use in Class.
I always reply our company mails from Austria and Swiss with my German language because it’s all the same.
Mind you Americans English a little bit diff from British English both in writing and speaking
pquaver:
oga u are still arguing dialect.. I am talking of hochdeutsch.. Are you saying if a transfer student comes from Swiss int German University he will not understand the lecturer? If this is your argument then oga you did not school in Germany if you did you studied in English is as easy as that. Is like saying mbaise Igbo(swiss German) is different Igbo since mbaise cannot understand nsukka(another German dialect).. Oga there is a central igbo(Hochdeutsch) which if mbaise speaks it nsukka will understand. So if mbaise goes to nsukka and meets illiterate nsukka that cannot understand central Igbo that will make central Igbo different? Whether he understand it or not is not because he is illiterate is not will change it.. it central Igbo is that is central Igbo and that is standard.. I don't know what you are arguing really..
Re: Germany And Netherland by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jun 29, 2020
pquaver:

I am nor editing I add facts for you.. I do not know what you are trying to achieve.. With your hankypanky.. I am not in an argue to to win but I stand my ground on facts.. I did not argue on Dutch if you notice.. But for Deutsch both Swiss and German I will go any length because I know it well. I started learning German at an earlier age and I started with Swiss German and The text book Deutsch in der Schweiz before I migrated and have master the language so I make my argument from a position of strength before I tell you something I know it for a fact.. Go and ask your native speaker friends about Hochdeutsch and dialects

Didn’t you see the Wikipedia page I just posted? You’re one of those people who can’t be open to learning, when they are wrong. You’d rather turn it to an attack when you have nothing else to say.
Re: Germany And Netherland by pquaver(m): 7:04pm On Jun 29, 2020
seunny4lif:
cool
You will understand the lecturers because it’s standard German, they are use in Class.
I always reply our company mails from Austria and Swiss with my German language because it’s all the same.
Mind you Americans English a little bit diff from British English both in writing and speaking

Thank you for this.. that is exactly what I am saying.. Hochdeutsch everyone will understand but dialect is not for every one..
American English is different in speaking and writing but only slightly that even you an educated Nigerian can understand communicate when you come across it same as a British. That means the difference is negligible. And that is my point with Hochdeutsch but dialect is totally different ball game.. I do not understand schwäbischclearly .. I went to Stuttgart and for an interview and the woman that I was to meet before the interview spoke in schwäbisch I didn't understand Jack I was only hearing words I know and I was making out meaning from them with my head.. When she noticed and asked where I was coming from I said Hamburg she switched immediately to Hochdeutsch and really the preparation was smooth i understood all...thereafter..i know swiss German dialect is even totally different in writing like gewesen is gsi
Re: Germany And Netherland by James4bright(m): 7:14pm On Jun 29, 2020
Danielhouston:

Monthly

I really missed your thread. I wish you could just ask justwise to reopen it. It was very inspiring to aspiring to me.
Re: Germany And Netherland by pquaver(m): 7:14pm On Jun 29, 2020
Danielhouston:

Didn’t you see the Wikipedia page I just posted? You’re one of those people who can’t be open to learning, when they are wrong. You’d rather turn it to an attack when you have nothing else to say.

Can you see your Wikipedia proves me right.. SWISS STANDARD GERMAN = HOCHDEUTSCH incase you do not know..

While Swiss German is the dialect putting this in contest it is exactly what I have been saying from my first post.. Irrespective of where you come from you can understand Hochdeutsch because is the same all over.. But dialect is different even in Germany some from Hamburg cannot understand pple in Baden-Württemberg and Bayern and they themselves cannot understand Plattdeutsch.. Simple so what lead you to argue with me is the question now?
Re: Germany And Netherland by seunny4lif(m): 7:14pm On Jun 29, 2020
I don’t know the argument was about standard German.
I just jump into the matter like normal Nigerians grin grin
pquaver:

Thank you for this.. that is exactly what I am saying.. Hochdeutsch everyone will understand but dialect is not for every one..
American English is different in speaking and writing but only slightly that even you an educated Nigerian can understand communicate when you come across it same as a British. That means the difference is negligible. And that is my point with Hochdeutsch but dialect is totally different ball game.. I do not understand schwäbischclearly .. I went to Stuttgart and for an interview and the woman that I was to meet before the interview spoke in schwäbisch I didn't understand Jack I was only hearing words I know and I was making out meaning from them with my head.. When she noticed and asked where I was coming from I said Hamburg she switched immediately to Hochdeutsch and really the preparation was smooth i understood all...thereafter..i know swiss German dialect is even totally different in writing like gewesen is gsi

1 Like

Re: Germany And Netherland by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 29, 2020
pquaver:

Now you’re back-tracking and contradicting yourself. I just posted a Wikipedia page which is an open fact. Yet you’re finding ways to spin this around and gain support. That is the problem wi to some of you on Nairaland. You show up with your opinion and try to discredit someone else. When the person bring receipts and shows you facts, you turn it into rudeness.

Accept when you’re wrong and learn from it. It won’t kill you. We all learn everyday. And don’t keep editing your comments to save face. Bye.

1 Like

Re: Germany And Netherland by pquaver(m): 7:25pm On Jun 29, 2020
Danielhouston:

Now you’re back-tracking and contradicting yourself. I just posted a Wikipedia page which is an open fact. Yet you’re finding ways to spin this around and gain support. That is the problem wi to some of you on Nairaland. You show up with your opinion and try to discredit someone else. When the person bring receipts and shows you facts, you turn it into rudeness.

Accept when you’re wrong and learn from it. It won’t kill you. We all learn everyday. And don’t keep editing your comments to save face. Bye.
. You are the one who should take up your advice.. You got something mixed up instead of you to own up your trying to pin it my first comment was all Germans can understand Hochdeutsch and that goes to Swiss, Austria, lichtenstein, Luxemburg, sudtirol and German Belgium. And you jumped in with Swiss German is different that Germans cannot understand the Swiss.. I made it clear to you that occurs only with dialect which is Swiss German. So if you cannot practice what you preach don't post it here oga..

1 Like

Re: Germany And Netherland by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jun 29, 2020
James4bright:

I really missed your thread. I wish you could just ask justwise to reopen it. It was very inspiring to aspiring to me.

I’ll resume the thread this week. I’ve started working from the office and I don’t have as much time. I’ll try to find time for the thread. Cheers

7 Likes

Re: Germany And Netherland by Dadlakeside(m): 8:27am On Jun 30, 2020
Danielhouston:

I’ll resume the thread this week. I’ve started working from the office and I don’t have as much time. I’ll try to find time for the thread. Cheers
Oshe baba
Re: Germany And Netherland by Hadampson(m): 2:33pm On Jun 30, 2020
Danielhouston:

Lol. You sef go soon enter Germany. You already have more knowledge than some people in Germany sef. Just remember us when you land.

Lol.. I can never forget my nairaland family when I enter Deutschland smiley

2 Likes

Re: Germany And Netherland by Hadampson(m): 2:34pm On Jun 30, 2020
Danielhouston:

Anticipation mode activated cool
Re: Germany And Netherland by willy2000(m): 2:44pm On Jun 30, 2020
Danielhouston:
Life while studying:

Germany: better chance of visa, better student benefits, world class Universities, less expensive, better job opportunity after studying, chance to make more money, more discrimination, bureaucracy, more peaceful people, less police harassment, bigger cities, better connected for traveling around, German language is not popular outside Germany.

Netherlands: better student life, happier/more friendly people, more expensive, boring, good for weed smokers, open minded people, more beautiful people, less discrimination, more English speakers, easier to find English speaking student jobs, less bureaucracy, more racial profiling by police, Dutch language can be useful in other Dutch speaking countries.

Life After Studying:

Germany: better chance to get a job, more global, better chance to save money, better pay, robotic work environment, better integration, better chance to become a citizen, average salary €3,700 (before tax), 18 months to find a job, better chance to extend work visa or take up another study.

Netherland: more relaxed working environment, more international working environment, higher chance of working for an international company, higher chance of finding an English speaking job, hard to save money, more black people in good job positions, fewer good job cities, less opportunities, can get a job in another Dutch speaking country if you learn the language, 1 year to find a job, average salary €2,800 (before tax), requires 10 years before applying for citizenship.

Process of obtaining permanent residency is similar in both countries.

At the bolded is not true, If anyone dreams of coming to Europe and want to learn a language to have an economical advantage, GERMAN is the language to learn. Dutch is spoken in Europe only in the Netherlands and Belgium, while German is used in Austria, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium. With German, you can never get lost in the aforementioned countries.

Mind you, if you speak proper German, you can survive and get jobs in all German-speaking countries no matter the accent. You may initially struggle to understand them, but with time your ears will tune in and it will be a thing of the past.
NB: Living in a foreign country does not only entail speaking the language, but you also have to master reading and writing the language. So if you go to Austria, Switzerland, Belgium.......... The written form of the German language is the same.
Re: Germany And Netherland by willy2000(m): 2:58pm On Jun 30, 2020
seunny4lif:
Same goes to all of them

Different based on what?
Do they use different Latin alphabets?
Are the grammar rules different?
How do you classify a language as being different?
Re: Germany And Netherland by mamatwiny(f): 3:21pm On Jun 30, 2020
For ppl interested in learning German language while still in Naija, Schneider institute has taken their German and french classes online. They sent me text message that the next classes will start July 6th and they have started registration.

You can call them for more info on 07039019567 ( Port Harcourt office)

As with all online classes, data will be your best friend. I also think their fees are a bit expensive but I have not compared with any other institutes. They have to pay for their big office in GRA
Re: Germany And Netherland by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jun 30, 2020
willy2000:

Different based on what?
Do they use different Latin alphabets?
Are the grammar rules different?
How do you classify a language as being different?

Hi Willy2000, good to hear from you again. I want to get something off my chest. I was honestly not happy about the thread you opened after mine went downhill. I appreciate you being inspired by my thread and choosing to open yours but the timing and purpose was off.

Your comment: “I will want to reiterate, this is not a thread about RACISM and DISCRIMINATION in Germany, neither is it a thread for ASYLUM or IMMIGRATION questions”, was a blow to my back. That came off as an indirect mockery of what went down in my thread. Making people believe you can articulate my ideas better and not be like me.

The thread came at the exact time mine went down, knowing it would attract my readers. That is like starting a business with lots of customers and the business crumbles, then one of your colleagues opens his own business immediately with your ideas and products, knowing it will attract your customers, while pointing out to people that he won’t make the mistake you made and he can do it better. There’s a code of conduct to these things.

I know this is an anonymous forum and anybody can post whatever they want. Yes it is not that serious, but it is wrong. You don’t have to see it my way. You can ignore me.
The only reason I’m saying this is because I’ll be resuming my thread again and I always loved your contributions. I would love you to keep contributing and sharing your knowledge. I just want to keep a clear mind.

Thanks and cheers.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help With Spouse Visa Requirements / Nigerian Fatally Shot In Ukraine!!! / Yellow Card Centres In Ibadan Search

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.