Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,801,984 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

Untold Story Of Lagos’ Unending Gang War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Untold Story Of Lagos’ Unending Gang War (2012 Views)

The Untold Story Of Heroic Deeds In Gamboru Ngala (video) / Untold Story Of How 21 Nigerians Made First List. / Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Untold Story Of Lagos’ Unending Gang War by EzeUche2(m): 8:52pm On Jan 30, 2011
Untold story of Lagos’ unending gang war

Written by Isiaka Kabiru, Lagos
Sunday, 30 January 2011

EXCEPT drastic measures are put in place by appropriate security agencies and stakeholders in Lagos Island, which is also the headquarters of the premier local government in Nigeria, residents of the area stand the risk of experiencing persistent terror being unleashed by street urchins, popularly called area boys.

Lately, the gangster war has become a common sight in many places like Mushin, Shomolu, Fadeyi, Surulere, Ebute-Metta, Orile–Iganmu and so many other cosmopolitan areas in Lagos State. The recurring gangster war in Mushin has attracted a lot of publicity, perhaps, because of the perceived political undertone, coupled with the dastardly act being perpetrated by the belligerent forces.

The main characters in the Mushin saga were said to be one Toba and a septuagenarian, Alado, as well as the Akala boys at Idi-Oro. They are involved in the supremacy battle in Mushin axis of the state. A similar situation on Lagos Island is believed to be getting worse almost on a daily basis, to the extent that it necessitated the chairman of Idumoyinbo Idunshagbe Community Development Association, Mr Bankole Segun, and other community leaders of Isale–Eko Area of the community to convene a special security stakeholders’ meeting last weekend. The meeting was meant to stop the needless and incessant maiming, looting and wanton destruction of residents’ property under the guise of gangster war.

The success of the parley could be seen from the caliber of people that attended it. The duo of the Divisional Police Officers of Ebute Ero and Adeniji Adele police stations were in attendance. Also in attendance were the state security operatives, white cap chiefs, like Chief Adesoji Ajayi Bembe (Obanikoro of Lagos), Lamina Sasi ( Sasi of Lagos) and other stakeholders in the community. They mutually agreed to encourage community policing towards bringing an end to the gangster war in the community, just as the security operatives promised to assist the community by responding promptly to distress calls.

However, Mr Bankole Segun , who doubles as the chairman of Lagos Island Community Development Committee (CDC) and the Idunmoyinbo and Idunshagbe Community Development Committee, in an exclusive interview with Sunday Tribune, gave an insight into the problem that had been plaguing his community for a while now: “It all started recently when some hoodlums invaded the community armed with cudgels, cutlasses and dangerous weapons to attack, maim, molest and loot people’s property under the guise that they were fighting rival street boys. They said they were fighting boys in Church Street and when we called the boys, they told us that they were not in conflict with anybody.”

Bankole further stated that with the assurance from security agencies and Oba of Lagos, Oba Rilwan Akiolu, “we have resolved to take our destiny in our own hands. We will jointly resist and arrest the hoodlums and hand them over to the police.”

Also, a victim of the attacks, Mr. Bolaji Badmus, who was attacked by the hoodlums, simply identified as Sere and Mental told Sunday Tribune that he was returning home in company of his female neighbours “when I was accosted on the road to my house, near Obanikoro Palace. They held the ladies and dispossessed them of their handsets and money. Sensing this, I tried to resist them but unknown to me they were armed with cutlasses. One of them lifted the cutlass and hit me on the head, but luckily for me I defended it with my hand. They took to their heels and I was taken to a private hospital for medical treatment.” Investigations by Sunday Tribune revealed that the entire Obanikoro Street, where the incident occurred, has been fixed with street lights erected by the residents in order to provide illumination at nightfall in the area and curb future occurrence. Some residents of Lagos Island, who spoke with Sunday Tribune confirmed the fact that there was always an insider in all the attacks. They alleged that there were people in the community who always provided information for hoodlums that often attacked Lagos Island.

In the same vein, residents of Apongbon, Lagos Island, are groaning over the persistent attacks by some area boys who normally move in droves around 5:00pm till late hours of the night. They always rob their unsuspecting victims of their handsets and other valuables taking advantage of human traffic snarl that mills around the area after working hours.

Sunday Tribune stumbled on a victim who was crying after losing his purse to the hoodlums and was being consoled by traders at Apongbon Market.

According to a resident, Alhaji Fatai Ottun, “the removal of the police armoured personnel carrier from Apongbon underbridge, near former UTC building, may have boosted criminal activities in the area. When the armoured personnel carrier was there, the activities of these street urchins were reduced, although Rapid Response Squad (RRS) operatives were drafted here, it has not affected the environment positively.”

The situation is not different in Tokunbo and Inabere areas as residents have not left anything to chances. They have engaged the services of local security operatives, popularly called Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC) to guard the areas with a view to reducing incessant gang attacks, though the residents have to pay about N150,000 monthly for the services rendered by the OPC.

The gang attacks, according to a resident, could have political undertone because most of the street boys want attention from politicians, hence the orgy of violence often unleashed on the areas.
A resident of Oshodi Street, who preferred anonymity, said that the attacks had become too incessant, noting that many valuables had been lost to the impasse.

To say that the situation at Epetedo area is the same is to state the obvious. The residents live daily in fear because of the nefarious activities of the hoodlums. A community leader in Epetedo, Mr Isiaka Akanni Shofela, also confirmed the activities of the hoodlums in the area, stating that the residents were tired of insecurity in the community. “It is a shame that we are now living in this kind of insecure environment. “I was raised up in this compound, there were no gates and keys. What do we have now? Big gates under locks and keys,” Mr Shofela said.

Mr Shofela stated that those terrorising the area were well known, saying people were too fearful to come out and identify them. He alleged that the police had not helped matters as they often emboldened the miscreants by not prosecuting them whenever they were arrested and taken to police stations.

According to him, “ I once identified one of the miscreants at a police station in the past, only for the police to release him almost immediately. He came back to me, boasting that even if I use soldiers to arrest him and his colleagues, they will always be let off the hook because they are well connected.” He told Sunday Tribune that the hoodlums later came to attack him.

Investigation conducted by Sunday Tribune revealed that the miscreants are on the prowl in virtually every community in Lagos and are ready to foment trouble with a view to causing chaos and robbing any unwary members of the public.

http://tribune.com.ng/sun/index.php/features/3047-untold-story-of-lagos-unending-gang-war
Re: Untold Story Of Lagos’ Unending Gang War by oderemo(m): 9:17pm On Jan 30, 2011
@ezeuche, this story is not only true but evidence of dangerous level of security in our dear country, as someone that grew up in mushin in the late 80s, i ve seen lots and lived with some of these hood rats.
major problem we are facing is youth unemployment in the country and an idle hand is the devil workshop.
i recently came back from Nigeria where i witnessed armed robbers operating in one of the new banks with total impunity, can you imagine armed gangs robbing inside the bank, one set inside the other set selling you rechard cards outside the bank premises and assuring you are at no danger, cos they are there only 4 the bank.
this happ. around ilishan, close to shagamu.
Re: Untold Story Of Lagos’ Unending Gang War by asha80(m): 3:17am On Jan 31, 2011
what is the real genesis behind the mushin gang wars?

(1) (Reply)

New Wikileak Exposé: Former Vp Goodluck Jonathan, Ibori & Obj Corrupt / Nigeria:most Hated Nation Around The Globe. / Police Probe Senator Senator Solomon Ewuga From Nassarawa Over Ombatse Killings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.