Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,466 members, 7,781,347 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:56 PM

Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba (1852 Views)

People Who Hated Niger Because Of Hatred For Buhari Now Its Best Lovers - Omokri / Iwuanyanwu: There Is No War Between Igbo And Yoruba / APC Reconstructing Lagos Guber Election As "War" Between Igbo & Yoruba - Soyombo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Timmi: 11:28am On Jun 28, 2020
HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE OF HATRED BETWEEN IGBO AND YORUBA
I had the privilege of attending some meetings of the Yoruba and Igbo Leaders. I was not a leader but a youth who knew how to wash his hands.
At one of those meetings in Owerri, I think in 1989, I think, I listened to Uncle Bola Ige and other Yoruba Leaders take the likes of Mbakwe, R. B. Okafor and others to the cleaners when the Igbo said the Yoruba were betrayers, citing that Chief Obafemi Awolowo led them into secession with a promise that if the Igbo left Nigeria, the Yoruba would follow suit.
They accused him of not following up on his promise. Trust Uncle Bola Ige! He pointed to Chief Mbakwe and said, "you were there in the meeting between Awolowo and Ojukwu as I was. Is that statement correct?".He turned to two other Igbo and two Yoruba Leaders who were at that meeting and asked the same question, saying he had transcripts of the meeting between Awolowo and Ojukwu.
They kept quiet while the Yoruba Leaders affirmed that Awolowo never promised to follow the East into secession. What he said was that if the Igbo were "driven" out of Nigeria the Yoruba would take it seriously and reassess their own position. Igbo Leaders DID NOT CONTEST this version.
Then Chief Bola Ige threw in the clincher! "Who are you to accuse the Yoruba of betrayal?" he roared, and continued:
1. At Independence Awolowo offered a joint government between the NCNC and AG, with Zik as Prime Minister and Awo as Finance Minister. Awo and Zik "were still negotiating" when it was announced that Zik would be President in a coalition with NPC of the North. The East then collaborated in destroying the West and sending Awolowo and his leutenants to jail!
2. What of the 1965 elections which the West and the East agreed to boycott? We met all night and reached agreement about 3am on the day of the election. In the morning, while the Yoruba boycotted the election, the Igbo went to vote
3. After the 1979 elections Yoruba (UPN) and Igbo (APP?) Leaders were still at the negotiating table for a coalition when to their surprise, an announcement was heard that the Igbo (APP) had agreed to a coalition with the North (NPN)
4. After the 1983 elections, 1979 repeated itself. Not giving up, Awolowo reached out to Azikiwe again for cooperation. Talks started and they met in Benin where Awo pleaded passionately that only a collaboration between The Igbo and the Yoruba could save Nigeria. They didn't reach agreement but promised to meet again. Before the next meeting, the Igbo had again teamed up with the North.
Uncle Bola paused and then continued "we can go on and on. So how dare you accuse the Yoruba of betrayal? How many Igbo have been killed in Lagos, Ibadan, Akure, Oshogbo (he mentioned other Yoruba towns)? You have your businesses in the West and went to Western schools. Yet you count the Yoruba as your enemy. You get killed in Kaduna, Kano, Bauchi, Zaria etc and have your goods looted yet you consider the Hausa/ Fulani your friends. It's your choice. If you want to be slaves for ever, we can't help you"
I had never been so scared in my life. I thought the roof was going to fall. There was a pin drop silence and no Igbo dared interrupt Uncle Bola Ige because he was telling the truth. The Yoruba Leaders ended the meeting at that point and left. I hope Chief C. O. Adebayo's memoirs will give more details of those exchanges.
Now to make three points from all this:
A. The Yoruba have been stretching their hand across the Niger for a handshake for a long time. The Igbo refused to take it for a long time until recently
B. Many Igbo Leaders of the 70s, 80s and 90s deliberately perpetrated the legend of Awolowo's role betraying them into the civil war and his role in prosecuting the war, to rally the Igbo population behind themselves. The Igbo agreed on Yoruba hatred than on any other issue. So it was the fabric that held them together for a long time
C. Time heals all things. Many Igbo reading this will be hearing for the first time that their leaders of old knew for a truth that Awolowo did not break his word to Ojukwu as alleged.
And to think of it, EVEN IF OUR PARENTS QUARRELLED, SHOULD WE THE NEW GENERATION CONTINUE THE SAME WAY?.
ITS TIME TO COME TOGETHER AND MAKE THE HANDSHAKE ACROSS THE NIGER WORK FOR THE SAKE OF OUR PEOPLES AND NIGERIA
Copied from "FRIENDS IKOYI CLUB 1938" Forum posted by Adenike Marinho, a Medical Doctor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 11:31am On Jun 28, 2020
Timmi:
HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE OF HATRED BETWEEN IGBO AND YORUBA
I had the privilege of attending some meetings of the Yoruba and Igbo Leaders. I was not a leader but a youth who knew how to wash his hands.
At one of those meetings in Owerri, I think in 1989, I think, I listened to Uncle Bola Ige and other Yoruba Leaders take the likes of Mbakwe, R. B. Okafor and others to the cleaners when the Igbo said the Yoruba were betrayers, citing that Chief Obafemi Awolowo led them into secession with a promise that if the Igbo left Nigeria, the Yoruba would follow suit.
They accused him of not following up on his promise. Trust Uncle Bola Ige! He pointed to Chief Mbakwe and said, "you were there in the meeting between Awolowo and Ojukwu as I was. Is that statement correct?".He turned to two other Igbo and two Yoruba Leaders who were at that meeting and asked the same question, saying he had transcripts of the meeting between Awolowo and Ojukwu.
They kept quiet while the Yoruba Leaders affirmed that Awolowo never promised to follow the East into secession. What he said was that if the Igbo were "driven" out of Nigeria the Yoruba would take it seriously and reassess their own position. Igbo Leaders DID NOT CONTEST this version.
Then Chief Bola Ige threw in the clincher! "Who are you to accuse the Yoruba of betrayal?" he roared, and continued:
1. At Independence Awolowo offered a joint government between the NCNC and AG, with Zik as Prime Minister and Awo as Finance Minister. Awo and Zik "were still negotiating" when it was announced that Zik would be President in a coalition with NPC of the North. The East then collaborated in destroying the West and sending Awolowo and his leutenants to jail!
2. What of the 1965 elections which the West and the East agreed to boycott? We met all night and reached agreement about 3am on the day of the election. In the morning, while the Yoruba boycotted the election, the Igbo went to vote
3. After the 1979 elections Yoruba (UPN) and Igbo (APP?) Leaders were still at the negotiating table for a coalition when to their surprise, an announcement was heard that the Igbo (APP) had agreed to a coalition with the North (NPN)
4. After the 1983 elections, 1979 repeated itself. Not giving up, Awolowo reached out to Azikiwe again for cooperation. Talks started and they met in Benin where Awo pleaded passionately that only a collaboration between The Igbo and the Yoruba could save Nigeria. They didn't reach agreement but promised to meet again. Before the next meeting, the Igbo had again teamed up with the North.
Uncle Bola paused and then continued "we can go on and on. So how dare you accuse the Yoruba of betrayal? How many Igbo have been killed in Lagos, Ibadan, Akure, Oshogbo (he mentioned other Yoruba towns)? You have your businesses in the West and went to Western schools. Yet you count the Yoruba as your enemy. You get killed in Kaduna, Kano, Bauchi, Zaria etc and have your goods looted yet you consider the Hausa/ Fulani your friends. It's your choice. If you want to be slaves for ever, we can't help you"
I had never been so scared in my life. I thought the roof was going to fall. There was a pin drop silence and no Igbo dared interrupt Uncle Bola Ige because he was telling the truth. The Yoruba Leaders ended the meeting at that point and left. I hope Chief C. O. Adebayo's memoirs will give more details of those exchanges.
Now to make three points from all this:
A. The Yoruba have been stretching their hand across the Niger for a handshake for a long time. The Igbo refused to take it for a long time until recently
B. Many Igbo Leaders of the 70s, 80s and 90s deliberately perpetrated the legend of Awolowo's role betraying them into the civil war and his role in prosecuting the war, to rally the Igbo population behind themselves. The Igbo agreed on Yoruba hatred than on any other issue. So it was the fabric that held them together for a long time
C. Time heals all things. Many Igbo reading this will be hearing for the first time that their leaders of old knew for a truth that Awolowo did not break his word to Ojukwu as alleged.
And to think of it, EVEN IF OUR PARENTS QUARRELLED, SHOULD WE THE NEW GENERATION CONTINUE THE SAME WAY?.
ITS TIME TO COME TOGETHER AND MAKE THE HANDSHAKE ACROSS THE NIGER WORK FOR THE SAKE OF OUR PEOPLES AND NIGERIA
Copied from "FRIENDS IKOYI CLUB 1938" Forum posted by Adenike Marinho, a Medical Doctor.
You started wrongly Oga
U expected zik to form a government with awolowo ?
Same man who sacked alafin of Oyo in the 1950s because of zik ?
Same awolowo that stole ziks party majority in South West ?

Ziks actions was as a result of awolowo actions

Stop posting this rubbish

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by NoIgboSoundTueh: 11:34am On Jun 28, 2020
Igbochief001:

You started wrongly Oga

Awolowo dethroned Alaafin because of Zik?
You're an ignorant ipob

6 Likes

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by flokii: 11:35am On Jun 28, 2020
Leave long story.. Yorubas have been in opposition all these years beacause of Igbo backstabbing #Fact.

They made it look as if Yorubas hate Hausas and Fulanis by going behind to pally with them (Northerners) to the detriment of the South. They go against anything Yoruba even when it doesn't concern them or their region but stay loyal to Northern interest.

Yorubas being the most intelligent and successful ethnic group in Africa have thwarted their plans to dominate the entire South. It pains them deeply till date but there is nothing they can do about it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 11:42am On Jun 28, 2020
NoIgboSoundTueh:

You're an ignorant ipob
https://www.nairaland.com/5740289/flashback-how-chief-awolowo-dethroned

Get your self educated ..the ex alafin said it himself even ...only reason he was removed was his friendship with zik

Now would u start the story from the beginning ?

3 Likes

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Exclusive101: 11:55am On Jun 28, 2020
You deserve a resounding slap that should send you to the ICU. Azikiwe usurp Herbert Macaulay NCNC cos he was the secretary. NCNC won the majority seat in Lagos only 4 the bastard to impose himself as a leader in Lagos n his party member tot the foolish igbo a lesson the entire generation of foolish Igbos like you along with your father n unborn generation will live to regret till eternity.

Igbochief001:

You started wrongly Oga

5 Likes

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Twinkletwin: 11:56am On Jun 28, 2020
good morning please I need a kind person to help me with something to feed plz its not a scam do it from the kindness of your heart tnk you
310x8574x507
firstbank
God bless
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by yanabasee1(m): 11:56am On Jun 28, 2020
Igbochief001:

You started wrongly Oga

That was politics and you shouldn't blame Awolowo for it because, Zik was lame and trusted a man while playing politics....

At the topic,.... Nigeria is never going to unite....Until this country is restructured and or divided....

We will always fight one another...and we will always discuss politics in levels to degrade others...having to name some region as majority and some as minority....

When you don't see everyone as equal, we need to restructure....
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Exclusive101: 11:59am On Jun 28, 2020
Twinkletwin:
good morning please I need a kind person to help me with something to feed plz its not a scam do it from the kindness of your heart tnk you
310x8574x507
firstbank
God bless
Sell the phone u sent this msg from n feed fat.

2 Likes

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jun 28, 2020
yanabasee1:

That was politics and you shouldn't blame Awolowo for it because, Zik was lame and trusted a man while playing politics....

At the topic,.... Nigeria is never going to unite....Until this country is restructured and or divided....

We will always fight one another...and we will always discuss politics in levels to degrade others...having to name some region as majority and some as minority....

When you don't see everyone as equal, we need to restructure....
But u are here blaming zik for his politics that's benefited him ...is that not hypocrisy ?

Everytime igbos have voted north it's has always been in retaliation to Yoruba actions

Zik first was awolowos actions

Shagari was because of awowlowo actions in the war

Abiola was because he insulted igbos that he didn't need our votes ...even at that we over looked and gave him 40% of our votes even when tofa had and Igbo vice

2 Likes

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Twinkletwin: 12:01pm On Jun 28, 2020
Exclusive101:

Sell the phone u sent this msg from n feed fat.
its a small phone n its broken
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jun 28, 2020
Exclusive101:
You deserve a resounding slap that should send you to the ICU. Azikiwe usurp Herbert Macaulay NCNC cos he was the secretary. NCNC won the majority seat in Lagos only 4 the bastard to impose himself as a leader in Lagos n his party member tot the fool igbo a lesson the entire generation of foolish Igbos like you along with your father n unborn generation will live to regret till eternity.

Lol the Yoruba people that voted his party are fools ? ...u think u are smart by dodging the alafin issue

If I was zik there is no way I would for government with awolowo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by plessis: 12:02pm On Jun 28, 2020
NoIgboSoundTueh:

You're an ignorant ipob
Go and read history.

Awolowo started tribal politics in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Exclusive101: 12:02pm On Jun 28, 2020
Twinkletwin:
its a small phone n its broken
sell it like that to eat n be merry.
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Twinkletwin: 12:03pm On Jun 28, 2020
Exclusive101:
sell it like that to eat n be merry.
if you can't help why not skip the post good day
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Exclusive101: 12:04pm On Jun 28, 2020
Twinkletwin:
if you can't help why not skip the post good day
I rather no skip as begging is not allowed on NL. You should be banished from here.
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by yanabasee1(m): 12:06pm On Jun 28, 2020
Igbochief001:

But u are here blaming zik for his politics that's benefited him ...is that not hypocrisy ?

Everytime igbos have voted north it's has always been in retaliation to Yoruba actions

Zik first was awolowos actions

Shagari was because of awowlowo actions in the war

Abiola was because he insulted igbos that he didn't need our votes ...even at that we over looked and gave him 40% of our votes even when tofa had and Igbo vice

Igbos should fight for restructuring more than Biafra.....

If you want to actualize your dreams, restructuring is the right ticket....

If you want your Biafra, you should count South-south out and do with your Igbo speaking regions alone...
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Twinkletwin: 12:06pm On Jun 28, 2020
Exclusive101:
I rather no skip as begging is not allowed on NL. You should be banished from here.
ok do it if its a crime to be poor if its a crime to seek for help rather than other way round
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by mystery22: 12:08pm On Jun 28, 2020
All.this rubbish lies will not change anything.Yarriba's are wicked and saboteurs.I blame ojukwu for trusting awolowo to do what he said,yarribas are known betrayers..let's get Biafra first all this lies will stop..I hate staying in a country with this set of backward things that still mine skull in 21st century.no wonder they hate staying alone..afonja don't want odua republic because they can't achieve anything in life,I am sure they will end up like there brothers Benin republic.parasites that can't stay alone..they claim they are intelligent but scared of competiting with us in a different nation..Biafra vs odua mehn this imps won't see our back and they know it,no wonder they hate anything Ipob.
They make mouth,but can't put there money where there mouth is..even in football bet you stake your money where your mouth is..hopeless tribe.

1 Like

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Exclusive101: 12:08pm On Jun 28, 2020
The Yoruba people voted NCNC n not Azikiwe or was there no other Yoruba to fill the role dead brain Azikiwe seek to usurp ?!

Igbochief001:

Lol the Yoruba people that voted his party are fools ? ...u think u are smart by dodging the alafin issue

3 Likes

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Exclusive101: 12:10pm On Jun 28, 2020
You despicable soul never cease to amze me.
Are we talking about this same foolish Ojukwu that slaved his pathetic miserable life away for his Fulani lord n savior ?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8V2Z05Z8JQ

mystery22:
All.this rubbish lies will not change anything.Yarriba's are wicked and saboteurs.I blame ojukwu for trusting awolowo to do what he said,yarribas are known betrayers..let's get Biafra first all this lies will stop..I hate staying in a country with this set of backward things that still mine skull in 21st century.no wonder they hate staying alone..afonja don't want odua republic because they can't achieve anything in life,I am sure they will end up like there brothers Benin republic.parasites that can't stay alone..they claim they are intelligent but scared of competiting with us in a different nation..Biafra vs odua mehn this imps won't see our back and they know it,no wonder they hate anything Ipob.
They make mouth,but can't put there money where there mouth is..even in football bet you stake your money where your mouth is..hopeless tribe.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by DenreleDave(m): 12:14pm On Jun 28, 2020
Igbochief001:
You started wrongly Oga U expected zik to form a government with awolowo ? Same man who sacked alafin of Oyo in the 1950s because of zik ? Same awolowo that stole ziks party majority in South West ?
Zik house was burning.. Why not face East, wetin he come find reach west
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by DenreleDave(m): 12:15pm On Jun 28, 2020
Igbochief001:

https://www.nairaland.com/5740289/flashback-how-chief-awolowo-dethroned

Get your self educated ..the ex alafin said it himself even ...only reason he was removed was his friendship with zik

Now would u start the story from the beginning ?

Zik shud have stayed in Enugu jejely or stay in North where he was born
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by mystery22: 12:17pm On Jun 28, 2020
yanabasee1:

Igbos should fight for restructuring more than Biafra.....

If you want to actualize your dreams, restructuring is the right ticket....

If you want your Biafra, you should count South-south out and do with your Igbo speaking regions alone...

what is south south,why can't you mention your state.or you don't have a state.all this people that don't understand the meaning of referendum.
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Guestlander: 12:20pm On Jun 28, 2020
Igbochief001:

You started wrongly Oga

Alaafin could never have been in the same constituency as Zik in the in the 50's. NCNC was started by a Yoruba, so it is not far fetched that the Alaafin could have been a supporter. Even if the party was started by Zik, Alaafin's support could not have translated to any votes for Zik. Why? Because of the system in the 50's you can only vote for the candidates in their constituencies.
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by T9ksy(m): 12:23pm On Jun 28, 2020
Igbochief001:

You started wrongly Oga

Oga, it's you that's posting hogwash!!!

Show us the election result where Awo "stole" zik's party majority (in the S.West) else do us all a favour and JSTFU.
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 28, 2020
Igbochief001:

NCNC was created by a Yoruba man from Lagos state. And his name is Olayinka Badmus Herbert Macaulay.

NCNC was created in 1944.
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jun 28, 2020
Igbochief001:

You started wrongly Oga
Where is the evidence to back this up?
Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by mystery22: 12:34pm On Jun 28, 2020
Exclusive101:
You despicable soul never cease to amze me.
Are we talking about this same foolish Ojukwu that slaved his pathetic miserable life away for his Fulani lord n savior ?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8V2Z05Z8JQ

you yarribas are too useless..hopeless parasites that dread staying.I can't imagine how Fulani's will ra*pe you cowards to death when we leave,keep stabbing our Biafra struggle our turn will be very brutal..slaves that can't fight for themselves.no single action since 1960 till date..useless awolowo was imprisoned nothing happened,hopeless abiola was killed after wining election nothing happened..you people are so useless in life..all you clowns do is wail...Biafra vs odua you parasites won't see our back..main reason you animals hate massob/ipob..you things must be trapped in Nigeria when we leave..

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Guestlander: 12:36pm On Jun 28, 2020
T9ksy:

Oga, it's you that's posting hogwash!!!

Show us the election result where Awo "stole" zik's party majority (in the S.West) else do us all a favour and JSTFU.

A lot of them just type the rubbish told to them by their uncles who probably never read a newspaper in his entire life.

1 Like

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jun 28, 2020
mystery22:
you yarribas are too useless..hopeless parasites that dread staying.I can't imagine how Fulani's will ra*pe you cowards to death when we leave,keep stabbing our Biafra struggle our turn will be very brutal..slaves that can't fight for themselves.no single action since 1960 till date..useless awolowo was imprisoned nothing happened,hopeless abiola was killed after wining election nothing happened..you people are so useless in life..all you clowns do is wail...Biafra vs odua you parasites won't see our back..main reason you animals hate massob/ipob..you things must be trapped in Nigeria when we leave..
Should we also post were IPOB called Igbos pig?

1 Like

Re: Historical Perspective Of Hatred Between Igbo And Yoruba by Exclusive101: 12:43pm On Jun 28, 2020
Keep your tales of woos for your unborn generation to relive all over again. Yoruba no be una papa mate ask Ojukwu, ask Azikiwe. [s]
mystery22:
[/s]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ondo 2020: APC Primary Election Updates: Gov Akeredolu Declared winer / Edo Election: Supporters Troop To Kwakwanso's House In Kano To Celebrate (pics) / FG Pays N800M To Bandits For Release Of Niger School students and staffs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.