Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:40 AM

The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" (2841 Views)

Osinbajo's Enemies Are Mainly From South West - UK Pastor Reveals God's Mind / Pastor E.A Adeboye Celebrates 77th Birthday With Powerful Word Of Prayers / Types Of Prayers Mentioned In The Bible. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by atheistandproud(m): 9:02pm On Jun 28, 2020
As a child I was taught in Bible school as well as by a man, Uncle Chris, a dedicated JW who taught me the Bible thrice every week that God was omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent.

Omniscient means knowing every thing. To quote a verse, "he that seeth the end from the beginning".

Omnipresent means being everywhere at once. "His spirit moved across the length and breadth of the land searching for one good man".

Anyway according to the same Bible in Job, Satan is also omnipresent as well. Lol.

Then you have omnipotent or all powerful.

These three features are fundamental godlike properties that are only ascribed to the ultimate deity of the Christian pantheon.

Christians have always claimed two conflicting positions.

1. Not knowing the mind of their favourite deity.

2. Knowing what he wants.

Those who have observed very well will tell you that these are interestingly used in varying situations as a cop out from difficult questions and situations.

If YHWH is omniscient and he has a plan and his plan is good, when you pray for something different, you're essentially asking him (hypothetically, that's if he exists) to change his mind. Do you honestly believe as a mere mortal, you know better than the supreme deity of the Christian pantheon so much as to even think his plan is wrong and yours is right? So if you don't know as well as god does, isn't prayer futile?

If your plan and god's are in the same line? Doesn't it make it prayer a pointless effort as god's will is going to be done regardless?

Finally, in the larger picture or on the grand scheme of things, the earth on which we live in is in a backwater solar system on the far side of the galaxy. Do you think that if a supreme galactic overlord exists, a tiny human can change his mind?

God is not perfect, he actually regretted that he had created humans in genesis. Did the all seeing and all knowing dude fail to see the future? That means he's no omniscient then.

Can we imagine now, for example that the lady who was killed in church, that was god's plan for her life from birth because well... mysterious ways blah blah blah?

Don't you think that she believed god loved her too and that bad things are not her portion?

Let me finish with Epicurus...

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Hoseaovo(m): 9:23pm On Jun 28, 2020
atheistandproud:
As a child I was taught in Bible school as well as by a man, Uncle Chris, a dedicated JW who taught me the Bible thrice every week that God was omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent.

Omniscient means knowing every thing. To quote a verse, "he that seeth the end from the beginning".

Omnipresent means being everywhere at once. "His spirit moved across the length and breadth of the land searching for one good man".

Anyway according to the same Bible in Job, Satan is also omnipresent as well. Lol.

These three features are fundamental godlike properties that are only ascribed to the ultimate deity of the Christian pantheon.

Those who have observed very well will tell you that these are interestingly used in varying situations as a cop out from difficult questions and situations.

If YHWH is omniscient and he has a plan and his plan is good, when you pray for something different, you're essentially asking him (hypothetically, that's if he exists) to change his mind. Do you honestly believe as a mere mortal, you know better than the supreme deity of the Christian pantheon so much as to even think his plan is wrong and yours is right? So if you don't know as well as god does, isn't prayer futile?

If your plan and god's are in the same line? Doesn't it make it prayer a pointless effort as god's will is going to be done regardless?

Finally, in the larger picture or on the grand scheme of things, the earth on which we live in is in a backwater solar system on the far side of the galaxy. Do you think that if a supreme galactic overlord exists, a tiny human can change his mind?

God is not perfect, he actually regretted that he had created humans in genesis. Did the all seeing and all knowing dude fail to see the future? That means he's no omniscient then.

Can we imagine now, for example that the lady who was killed in church, that was god's plan for her life from birth because well... mysterious ways blah blah blah?

Don't you think that she believed god loved her too and that bad things are not her portion?

Have you heard about free will? Maybe you have but maybe you don't fully comprehend it's concept. Well, thats a topic not for today. If being an atheist make you sleep well at night then......... But as for me and my house, we will serve that God you so despise.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jun 28, 2020
atheistandproud:

They’ll say that’s how god wanted it to happen. grin
I always ask them “where was your God when uyai was being raped and eventually killed inside a church?” And they’ll come up with rubbish answers.
A god that can’t protect his followers isn’t he useless? cheesy
Religious folks are very very deluded I swear.

11 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Hakeem12(m): 9:40pm On Jun 28, 2020
When I see the world right now and the ills happening in it, I think it's safe to say we are alone and on our own.

The holocaust itself is a glaring indication that nobody is looking out for anyone. If God is omniscient, clearly he knows the hocaust would happen before it did, he allowed it to happen, that's one. Now while it was happening, he watched thousands of his people massacred, he was there, since he is omnipresent, still he did nothing.

That same dude made man imperfect according to the holy books, and would still purnish man for their imperfections. Simple logic shows this makes zero sense. Our resident folks would tell us not to apply logic when it comes to things of the spirit, rather take it on by blind faith, by belief, total nonsense. Why would a being create people perfectly capable of seeing through his incompetence?

The recent pandemic that's happening, someone said God's showing how powerful he is. I have never seen him do something beneficient to show his power, only death and destruction. I guess it's safe to say Hitler is his equal.

If you think the current crises Yemen is undergoing is in any way humane, and why has turned a blind eye to it is okay, it defeats the whole purpose of having a Skye daddy watch over us. The narcissism exhibited by religious people irks me. They survive accidents and go to their places of worship to give testimonials, very selfish and stupid acts.

You can't negotiate with a psychopath

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by CAPSLOCKED: 9:42pm On Jun 28, 2020
NOTHING DESCRIBES DOUBTS ABOUT GOD'S PERFECT PLAN LIKE PRAYERS.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Dtruthspeaker: 9:43pm On Jun 28, 2020
atheistandproud:

Blablablablabla!

See how uncoordinated you are, and how you have claimed so many lands to stand? Ole! Thief! You for kukumah claim the whole world now! You be Tifu! In Julius Agwu voice!

First, "futility of Prayer/ changing God's Mind."

Then "God was omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent".

Then "Job, Satan, omnipresent, omnipotent or all powerful".

Then "fundamental godlike properties".

Then "two conflicting positions."

Then "prayer again saying "isn't prayer futile?"

Then "backwater solar system on the far side of the galaxy."

Then "God is not perfect,"

Then "god's plan for her life from birth"

Then, "she believed god loved her too"

Then, "finish with Epicurus"

Wow, it's finished at last!

See this baby rebel that is standing on each question for every month of the year, in one post!

And he is already running in all directions even before they have said "Runners, on your marks!"

Men, he is disqualified from the race immediately.
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jun 28, 2020
Assuming prayers truly work 90% of Nigerians would be billionaires in dollars and Nigeria would be better than China but unfortunately,prayers don’t work. What works is hard work and consistency.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jun 28, 2020
atheistandproud:
As a child I was taught in Bible school as well as by a man, Uncle Chris, a dedicated [s]JW who taught me the Bible thrice every week that God was omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent[/s].

Sorry to cut you short there, that is a wrong perception.
God is not Omni this Omni that Sir.
I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses and that's not what we teach.
Thanks Sir! smiley
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jun 28, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Blablablablabla!

See how uncoordinated you are, and how you have claimed so many lands to stand? Ole! Thief! You for kukumah claim the whole world now! You be Tifu! In Julius Agwu voice!

See this baby rebel that is standing on each question for every month of the year, in one post!

And he is already running in all directions even before they have said "Runners, on your marks!"

You need to be taken to a psychiatrist hospital ASAP.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jun 28, 2020
Maximus69:

Thanks Sir! smiley
So,some of you finally admit that your god isn’t omnipotent,omniscient and omnipresent?
Such a useless god. grin

7 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by hakeem4(m): 9:58pm On Jun 28, 2020
Well, god cannot be omniscient and omnipresent at the same time. it is logically incoherent. it is like calling someone a married bachelor.

the sooner we tell ourselves the truth that prayers solve nothing the better for us

6 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jun 28, 2020
Elder0001:

So,some of you finally admit that your god isn’t omnipotent,omniscient and omnipresent?
Such a useless god. grin

Your PERSONAL opinion Sir! cheesy
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jun 28, 2020
Maximus69:

Your PERSONAL opinion Sir! cheesy

Where was your God when uyai was being raped and eventually killed inside a church?

A god that can’t protect his followers isn’t he useless? grin

6 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by atheistandproud(m): 10:03pm On Jun 28, 2020
Hoseaovo:

Have you heard about free will? Maybe you have but maybe you don't fully comprehend it's concept. Well, thats a topic not for today. If being an atheist make you sleep well at night then......... But as for me and my house, we will serve that God you so despise.

Free will does not exist.

You're heading in a whole new direction now. This post is about prayer. Not freewill. If freewill existed then god's plans will no longer be supreme and so therefore he's no longer omnipotent as the will of a human being supersedes his.

It's either you have freewill and YHWH is no longer omnipotent or your god is omnipotent and you're bound to his rules.

Choose one

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by atheistandproud(m): 10:05pm On Jun 28, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Blablablablabla!

You have made zero sense. Please go back and relearn English comprehension sir. You need it

7 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jun 28, 2020
Elder0001:

Where was your God when uyai was being raped and eventually killed inside a church?

Your PERSONAL conclusion Sir! cheesy
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jun 28, 2020
Maximus69:

Your PERSONAL conclusion Sir! cheesy
As expected,no answer. grin

7 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by atheistandproud(m): 10:07pm On Jun 28, 2020
Elder0001:

They’ll say that’s how god wanted it to happen. grin
I always ask them “where was your God when uyai was being raped and eventually killed inside a church?” And they’ll come up with rubbish answers.
A god that can’t protect his followers isn’t he useless? cheesy
Religious folks are very very deluded I swear.

A very confused set of people suffering from cognitive bias and Stockholm's syndrome.

7 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jun 28, 2020
atheistandproud:

Free will does not exist.

You're heading in a whole new direction now. This post is about prayer. Not freewill. If freewill existed then god's plans will no longer be supreme and so therefore he's no longer omnipotent as the will of a human being supersedes his.

It's either you have freewill abd YHWH is no longer omnipotent or your god is omnipotent and you're bound to his rules.

Choose one

You cannot expect common sense and logic from religious folks.

6 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by atheistandproud(m): 10:09pm On Jun 28, 2020
Maximus69:

Thanks Sir! smiley

Alright.

I tend to lump everything I was taught about Christianity into one folder.

Hence the context.

Thank you
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by CAPSLOCKED: 10:11pm On Jun 28, 2020
hakeem4:
Well, god cannot be omniscient and omnipresent at the same time. it is logically incoherent. it is like calling someone a married bachelor.

the sooner we tell ourselves the truth that prayers solve nothing the better for us

DELUSIONAL PEOPLE THINK THEY ALREADY HAVE ALL THE TRUTH ON EARTH IN THE BIBLE (AND KORAN) AND IN THIER PREACHER'S WORDS.
TO THESE PEOPLE, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS EXCEPT WHAT THEY'VE BEEN INDOCTRINATED WITH.

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by atheistandproud(m): 10:14pm On Jun 28, 2020
Elder0001:

Very very

1 Like

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jun 28, 2020
Elder0001:

As expected,no answer. grin
You've answered your own question.
That's why i said "It's your PERSONAL opinion" wink
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Hakeem12(m): 10:17pm On Jun 28, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

DELUSIONAL PEOPLE THINK THEY ALREADY HAVE ALL THE TRUTH ON EARTH IN THE BIBLE (AND KORAN) AND IN THIER PREACHER'S WORDS.
TO THESE PEOPLE, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS EXCEPT WHAT THEY'VE BEEN INDOCTRINATED WITH.
The funniest thing is, they don't even read those books, only what their preachers have handpicked for them. And even if they happen to stumble on some shocking aspects of the books or are made aware of it, they turn off their senses.

They are all suffering from mental laziness.

11 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jun 28, 2020
atheistandproud:

Alright.
I tend to lump everything I was taught about Christianity into one folder.
Hence the context.
Thank you

You're always welcome my friend! grin
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jun 28, 2020
Maximus69:

[s]You've answered your own question.
That's why i said "It's your PERSONAL opinion"[/s] wink
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jun 28, 2020
: Do cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy[quote author=Elder0001 post=91179210][/quote]
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Image123(m): 10:22pm On Jun 28, 2020
hakeem4:

God is not subject to logic and reasoning, He is in a higher realm. That being said, you are the one sounding incoherent here. What is the definition of Omniscient and omnipresent as presented in the Bible and how do you understand it?
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Image123(m): 10:25pm On Jun 28, 2020
Elder0001:

You cannot expect common sense and logic from religious folks.

Like your parents, siblings and teachers. Maybe even your bosses. You are the only one that actually has a brain, why not clap for yourself and prepare a noose.
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jun 28, 2020
Image123:

Like your parents, siblings and teachers. Maybe even your bosses. You are the only one that actually has a brain, why not clap for yourself and prepare a noose.
You lack wisdom.
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Image123(m): 10:31pm On Jun 28, 2020
atheistandproud:

You asked so many questions all at once, hope you were not crying when asking. This is a symptom of problems in the brain. Try one step at a time so you don't fall off a 13storey.
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Image123(m): 10:32pm On Jun 28, 2020
Elder0001:

You lack wisdom.

cheesy cheesy cheesy Psalm 14 comes to mind

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Babylon The Great Is Jerusalem,not America / Judaism Or Christianity / Quirinius' Census Is An Important Historical Marker For ‪‎Jesus‬' Birth - But...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.