Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,384 members, 7,781,095 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:49 AM

Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks (7676 Views)

Why Itsekiris Are Not Yorubas But Binis / What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa / Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Mariangeles(f): 3:56pm On Jun 30, 2020
[s]
MinorityOpinion:
If you check Pre-Colonial pictures of igbos documented by the Europeans that visited them, they are all dark and brown like their Africans brothers, the pictures above are of Igbos in 1800 taken by European photographer. Do you see anything like yellow? No.

Let's fast forward it to 2020, if you look around you or your Igbo friends, most of them are dark or brown like their African brothers, go to any igbo dominated markets, what do you see? Dark skinned and brown skinned igbos.

Now this is where it get tricky, I know people will ask the question "but what about lightskinned igbos?", there is perfect explanation for that.

Now look at this Pre-colonial pictures of igbos again, do you see lighter shade of skin? The answer is NO. So where does the Igbos get their lightskin from?

To be honest, the truth is igbos bleach the skin of their child right from when they are young, although there is nothing wrong with it, it their body and their child's body. Apart from it, igbo in their teens or adolescent stage also bleach their skin to look more light skinned, i'm not saying other tribes are not doing it, but the magnitude of igbos doing it is more compared to other tribes.

Another perspective is inter marriage between igbos and other tribes from south south, most of the light skinned igbos you're seeing are the cross breed of igbos with their south south neighbours.

[/s]

This is the most ridiculous piece of sh!t I've ever read in my entire life!
Outrageously ridiculous!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by gregyboy(m): 6:38pm On Jun 30, 2020
Sofistcatdmoron:

There us only wa zo bia,
Any other tribes is an affiliate of the three angry

Speak for yourself oga wazobia only exist in nigeria, beyond nigeria there is nothing like wazobia but there are names like edo, benin city known to the world....

It is painful to accept but still its the bitter truth

Wazobia only exist in nigeria

Odion ighalos is not know as edo but wazobia right

Mumu man
Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Sofistcatdmoron: 6:45pm On Jun 30, 2020
gregyboy:

Speak for yourself oga wazobia only exist in nigeria, beyond nigeria there is nothing like wazobia but thier names like edo, benin city

Can you denial that

Wazobia only exist in nigeria

Odion ighalos is not know as edo but wazobia right

Mumu man
That is in your pocket,,
Wa zo bia is known everywhere.
Even if it's only in nigeria, are u not a Nigerian

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by gregyboy(m): 7:42pm On Jun 30, 2020
Sofistcatdmoron:

That is in your pocket,,
Wa zo bia is known everywhere.
Even only in nigeria, are u not a Nigerian

Wazobia exist everywhere..... Lol my kidney......

You have never left the republic of your wazobia

Outside nigeria benin is more known than wazobia, did you watch the oba coronation compare the dignitaries with that of the ooni of ife coronation, you will see that a tribe 40 million only existed in nigeria and it was graced by few nigerian dignitaries compare to that of the oba of benin
While that of benin was graced beyond nigeria dignitaries European dignitaries and American dignitaries
Make you dey there dey sleep, in self dilution shouting waZOboa, and be feeling no one knows Edo, while a country was name after it, and two African universities took upon the name university of benin in an honor of the Benin Empire
*University of benin (togo) which is now recently university of togo.
*University of benin Republic
*University of of benin, benin city

I know you intended to spite we benins by calling us minorites but little did you know you will meet your waterloo

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Podakejol: 9:55am On Jul 01, 2020
gregyboy:

Wazobia exist everywhere..... Lol my kidney......

You have never left the republic of your wazobia

Outside nigeria benin is more known than wazobia, did you watch the oba coronation compare the dignitaries with that of the ooni of ife coronation, you will see that a tribe 40 million only existed in nigeria and it was graced by few nigerian dignitaries compare to that of the oba of benin
While that of benin was graced beyond nigeria dignitaries European dignitaries and American dignitaries
Make you dey there dey sleep, in self dilution shouting waZOboa, and be feeling no one knows Edo, while a country was name after it, and two African universities took upon the name university of benin in an honor of the Benin Empire
*University of benin (togo) which is now recently university of togo.
*University of benin Republic
*University of of benin, benin city

I know you intended to spite we benins by calling us minorites but little did you know you will meet your waterloo
Benin’s are minority so stfu. Are you more than ijaw, tiv, igala?

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Ojiofor: 11:07am On Jul 01, 2020
Edokingdom:

So why are u grabbing us?

The person grabbing you is your Edo brother or can't you see his name?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by gregyboy(m): 11:35am On Jul 01, 2020
Podakejol:

Benin’s are minority so stfu. Are you more than ijaw, tiv, igala?

Pained.... Yeast

I see you lack reasoning capabilites

Edoid sub group like my colleagues said earlier is bigger than those tribe you mentioned

You know when minorites like us, hit you guys so hard, you all turn to tell us we are minorites,
Out of the non related argument on ground thesame minorites you are calling us bleeped your ancestors in the past and ruled over them,
What was the eccence of you been a majour tribe in the past

And

What is the essence of we being a minorites in this discussion?

Or do you feel if both tribes were armed today for a war there is a possibility benin would loose because we are minorites?

Or because we are minorites we should keep quite on our rights because we are arguing with ibo a majour tribe abi, igbo man

Mumu man,
Mugu wen you be

I bet odion ighalo and victor osimen shouldnt play in Manchester united because he is not from wazobia he is from Edo a mimnor tribe lol"

You be mugu big mugu, and a coward for bringing population into this discussion...

Pained iyamiri, how wish your ancestors were strong enough to defeat benin a minority tribe like you said we wouldn't be having this discussion

Osagyefo98

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jul 01, 2020
gregyboy:

Pained.... Yeast

Edoid sub group like my colleagues said earlier is bigger than those tribe you mentioned

You know when minorites like us we hit you guys so hard, you all turn to tell us we are minorites,
Out of the non related argument on ground thesame minorites you are calling us bleeped your ancestors in the past and ruled over them,

And

Or do you feel if both tribes were armed today for a war there is a possibility benin would loose because we are minorites?

Or because we are minorites we should keep quite on our rights because we are arguing with ibo a majour tribe abi, igbo man

Mumu man,
Mugu wen you be

I bet odion ighalo and victor osimen shouldnt play in Manchester united because he is not from wazobia he is from Edo a mimnor tribe lol"

You be mugu big mugu, and a coward for bringing population into this discussion...

Pained iyamiri, how wish your ancestors were strong enough to defeat benin a minority tribe like you said we wouldn't be having this discussion

Osagyefo98

You didn't make any sense..

I have always acknowledged Edo yoruba ties. This argument is not necessary again.
Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by gregyboy(m): 12:19pm On Jul 01, 2020
Osagyefo98:

You didn't make any sense..

I have always acknowledged Edo yoruba ties. This argument is not necessary again.

Tell that to your brother

I acknowledged edo, yoruba and ibo ties we are the foundation of the two

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 01, 2020
gregyboy:

Tell that to your brother

I acknowledged edo, yoruba and ibo ties we are the foundation of the two

There is no correlation or any historical ties between Igbos and binis, anything been paraded online are just invented history that has no back up.

Meanwhile looking at Edos and yorubas we can see that in names Obafemi, Olusegun, Rotimi, Abidemi, oba, Tope etc...shared names, titles and anything to name it.

Such can't be said of igbos. History is not hearsay but rooted that even after years evidences of it can be seen and not just mere look at this, look at that...

The only authentic history remains Edo-yorubas history and with over hundreds of evidence even written by binis themselves.

Truth remains the truth.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by gregyboy(m): 12:34pm On Jul 01, 2020
Osagyefo98:

There is no correlation or any historical ties between Igbos and binis, anything been paraded online are just invented history that has no back up.

Meanwhile looking at Edos and yorubas we can see that in names Obafemi, Olusegun, Rotimi, Abidemi, oba, Tope etc...shared names, titles and anything to name it.

Such can't be said of igbos. History is not hearsay but rooted that even after years evidences of it can be seen and not just mere look at this, look at that...

The only authentic history remains Edo-yorubas history and with over hundreds of evidence even written by binis themselves.

Truth remains the truth.

Lol

We have names like amadi, okoro, okuta, osakwe, ise
From both igbo and edo

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jul 01, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol

We have names like amadi, okoro, okuta, osakwe
From both igbo and edo

The meaning are entirely different.

Before I wrote that I know of all these but the meaning to these ones are different unlike the yorubas that has same meaning with Edos.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by gregyboy(m): 12:44pm On Jul 01, 2020
Osagyefo98:

The meaning are entirely different.

Before I wrote that I know of all these but the meaning to these ones are different unlike the yorubas that has same meaning with Edos.

Yorubas has no same meaning tell me one

I want one to play the game you're playing i pray you dont loose igboman
Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 01, 2020
gregyboy:

Yorubas has no same meaning tell me one

I want one to play the game you're playing i pray you dont loose igboman

Not at all...Won't lose..

I am only enforcing new norms and order.
Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by valirex: 11:36am On Jul 02, 2020
Edokingdom:
It is not a Hidden agenda anymore that some parts of edos looks much like igbos while some parts of edo state also look
much like yorubas,
For example, some beautiful yellow women of edo state, if you get to see them out side, you will definitely think they are igbos,
Does this have secrets undiscovered?

Who's this one undecided
Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Shiver99: 3:04am On Jul 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Use your brain

It's when I read some Nairaland posts, I come to the conclusion that there are some folks here that are mentally ill.

First of all, why do none of you mentally-ill folks ever argue with the Senegalese or South sudanese when they say they have a lot of dark skinned people? sad
Why do you keep coming for igbos to try and dispute what even a blind man can see? What is it with light skin that makes folks like you tremble? It's so weird for an Igbo person to see posts like yours because lightskin is just something common they see everyday.

Anyways, the lightskin of Igbo people comes from an Ancient gene that is shared only with the Ibibio group. All other south south groups are known to be near jet black with some brown people in the mix unless they were known to be heavily admixed with Igbos/Ibibios in the past several centuries. For instance, compare the natives of Yenagoa to the heavily igbo/ibibio admixed people of okrika/kalabari and Bonny.

This unique gene is why you see several igbos with olive skin and hazel eyes, etc, ect as well as the famous golden skin that many non-igbo nigerians seem to covet. Don't hate. It's God that cause am.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by davidnazee: 1:14pm On Jul 05, 2020
Shiver99:

It's when I read some Nairaland posts, I come to the conclusion that there are some folks here that are mentally ill.

First of all, why do none of you mentally-ill folks ever argue with the Senegalese or South sudanese when they say they have a lot of dark skinned people? sad
Why do you keep coming for igbos to try and dispute what even a blind man can see? What is it with light skin that makes folks like you tremble? It's so weird for an Igbo person to see posts like yours because lightskin is just something common they see everyday.

Anyways, the lightskin of Igbo people comes from an Ancient gene that is shared only with the Ibibio group. All other south south groups are known to be near jet black with some brown people in the mix unless they were known to be heavily admixed with Igbos/Ibibios in the past several centuries. For instance, compare the natives of Yenagoa to the heavily igbo/ibibio admixed people of okrika/kalabari and Bonny.

This unique gene is why you see several igbos with olive skin and hazel eyes, etc, ect as well as the famous golden skin that many non-igbo nigerians seem to covet. Don't hate. It's God that cause am.

okay so igbos are half-castes..
Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by gregyboy(m): 7:47am On Jul 08, 2020
chiefolododo:
Igbos are the real owners of Edo? Don't disgrace yourself

Coming from chief-olodo..... Tell me why would i take your moniker speaks otherwise
Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Yujin(m): 4:30pm On Jul 09, 2020
gregyboy:

Pained.... Yeast

You know when minorites like us, hit you guys so hard, you all turn to tell us we are minorites,

And

Mumu man,
Mugu wen you be

Osagyefo98
@Gregyboy, the osagyefo you've been quoting is not Igbo but fulani. He always pretend to be Igbo just so he can cause confusion. Do not take anything he writes about Igbos seriously.

Now unto the topic of the thread properly, the observation of the OP is somewhat correct. The Edo people have the semblance of both the Igbos and the Yorubas and it can be considered because of the history of the ancient Empire they ruled. While Igbos settled greatly in the eastern flank of the core Edo areas the Yorubas are found on the Western flank. When you see the Esans and the eastern part of the Binis, you see great resemblance with the Igbos.Settlements in present Edo state like Ekpon, Inyelen and a few others show that Igbos truly had flourishing communities closer to the heart of the capital. I believe a good number of the Igbos who today talk about being from Benin actually moved from these areas back into deep parts of Igboland. Most people from Nigeria don't understand how empires operate. I have much respect for the political maturity of the Binis who ruled that empire. They incorporated lots of other tribes into their political control without suppressing their individual identities. Every tribe could contribute to the advancement of the empire and that was why she really grew. Someting drastic happened to Benin that led to a massive emigration of Igbos from the areas they occupied closer to the Edoid people and since then the empire started to decline. The Ezechima story is very credible. The Igbos of his clan moved from the Benin politically control area and moved into the present Anioma area while some crossed the Niger into present Anambra area. Notice that more Igbo clans and towns in Anioma are not descendants of the Ezechima story. This shows that they were originally settled there and a good number of them never had kings until the late 19th century. These clans were not politically under the Benin empire but were heavily influenced by it nontheless. Onitsha is exactly a perfect example. After emigrating out of Benin politically controlled area, passed through the rest of the Anioma territory and settled on the other side of the Niger. They tried to create a system similar to what they learnt from Benin but never had any political connection with Benin again. Other Edoid people fleeing Benin after the empires decline moved out both towards the west and east of the empire. The Edoid(mostly Binis and Esans) migrants settled in mostly Ika and Aniocha parts of Anioma. The Ukwuanis had very little influence from the Binis because they're farther from the centre of the empire than the other Anioma clans. Let me stop here.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by gregyboy(m): 3:49am On Jul 10, 2020
Yujin:

@Gregyboy, the osagyefo you've been quoting is not Igbo but fulani. He always pretend to be Igbo just so he can cause confusion. Do not take anything he writes about Igbos seriously.

Now unto the topic of the thread properly, the observation of the OP is somewhat correct. The Edo people have the semblance of both the Igbos and the Yorubas and it can be considered because of the history of the ancient Empire they ruled. While Igbos settled greatly in the eastern flank of the core Edo areas the Yorubas are found on the Western flank. When you see the Esans and the eastern part of the Binis, you see great resemblance with the Igbos.Settlements in present Edo state like Ekpon, Inyelen and a few others show that Igbos truly had flourishing communities closer to the heart of the capital. I believe a good number of the Igbos who today talk about being from Benin actually moved from these areas back into deep parts of Igboland. Most people from Nigeria don't understand how empires operate. I have much respect for the political maturity of the Binis who ruled that empire. They incorporated lots of other tribes into their political control without suppressing their individual identities. Every tribe could contribute to the advancement of the empire and that was why she really grew. Someting drastic happened to Benin that led to a massive emigration of Igbos from the areas they occupied closer to the Edoid people and since then the empire started to decline. The Ezechima story is very credible. The Igbos of his clan moved from the Benin politically control area and moved into the present Anioma area while some crossed the Niger into present Anambra area. Notice that more Igbo clans and towns in Anioma are not descendants of the Ezechima story. This shows that they were originally settled there and a good number of them never had kings until the late 19th century. These clans were not politically under the Benin empire but were heavily infleunced by it nontheless. Onitsha is exactly a perfect example. After emigrating out of Benin politically controlled area, passed through the rest of the Anioma territory and settled on the other side of the Niger. They tried to create a system similar to what they learnt from Benin but never had any political connection with Benin again. Other Edoid people fleeing Benin after the empires decline moved out both towards the west and east of the empire. The Edoid(mostly Binis and Esans) migrants settled in mostly Ika and Aniocha parts of Anioma. The Ukwuanis had very little influence from the Binis because they're farther to the centre of the empire than the other parts. Let me stop here.

If that is truly is an hausa he is going to regret it, i hate anything north.... I pray he his not

Modified
And he is not is an igbo man who supports Buhari he still not free anyone who supports Buhari is from the norh to me
Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Yujin(m): 5:56am On Jul 10, 2020
gregyboy:

If that is truly is an hausa he is going to regret it, i hate anything north.... I pray he his not

Modified
And he is not is an igbo man who supports Buhari he still not free anyone who supports Buhari is from the norh to me
He certainly is not Igbo. The Igbos are their worst nightmare hence they always seek to cause diasffection between Igbos and other tribes in the sout just the weaken the south.
Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Nobody: 7:01am On Jul 11, 2020
Yujin
gregyboy

Two men gossiping
Lmao

Custodians of who is igbo and who is not.

Deciders of who fulani cheesy grin grin

Ndi ala
Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by bigfrancis21: 4:35am On Jul 12, 2020
MinorityOpinion:
If you check Pre-Colonial pictures of igbos documented by the Europeans that visited them, they are all dark and brown like their Africans brothers, the pictures above are of Igbos in 1800 taken by European photographer. Do you see anything like yellow? No.

Let's fast forward it to 2020, if you look around you or your Igbo friends, most of them are dark or brown like their African brothers, go to any igbo dominated markets, what do you see? Dark skinned and brown skinned igbos.

Now this is where it get tricky, I know people will ask the question "but what about lightskinned igbos?", there is perfect explanation for that.

Now look at this Pre-colonial pictures of igbos again, do you see lighter shade of skin? The answer is NO. So where does the Igbos get their lightskin from?

To be honest, the truth is igbos bleach the skin of their child right from when they are young, although there is nothing wrong with it, it their body and their child's body. Apart from it, igbo in their teens or adolescent stage also bleach their skin to look more light skinned, i'm not saying other tribes are not doing it, but the magnitude of igbos doing it is more compared to other tribes.

Another perspective is inter marriage between igbos and other tribes from south south, most of the light skinned igbos you're seeing are the cross breed of igbos with their south south neighbours.

Igbo yellowish skin goes way back in time. During the transatlantic slavery period of the 1600s to 1800s, Igbo slaves were noted to be of yellowish skin tone. This was written down by a few white slave masters. Igbo slaves were often yellowish that other tribes nicknamed them, ‘red ebo’, a phrase which has stuck in Jamaica today and in the US has become ‘red bone’. This is proof that some Igbos have always and originally been light-skinned and not as a result of some recent admixture.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by bigfrancis21: 4:41am On Jul 12, 2020
gregyboy:

Who said we dont have influenced on the igbo people....

I bet you are from a delta igbotribe by the look of your name.....

Bro we have links with igbos and we colonized them our influence enterd the core east through onitsha....

If you are here to deniel it, i wont argue that with you now......

There’s Igbo influence on Bini as well. The influence between edo and Igbo wasn’t one way. It went both ways. The bini people use the 4 native Igbo market days of Eke, Orie, Afo/Aho and Nkwo introduced by the Nri people which are Eken, Orrie, Aho and Okwo respectively in Edo. Your Oba uses a word, ‘Uku’ which is the same as ‘ukwu’ in Igbo that means ‘great’. Talk about, Ogwashi Ukwu, Ubulu Ukwu, Afara Ukwu (in Abia state) etc.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by AreaFada2: 5:29am On Jul 12, 2020
bigfrancis21:

There’s Igbo influence on Bini as well. The influence between edo and Igbo wasn’t one way. It went both ways. The bini people use the 4 native Igbo market days of Eke, Orie, Afo/Aho and Nkwo introduced by the Nri people which are Eken, Orrie, Aho and Okwo respectively in Edo. Your Oba uses a word, ‘Uku’ which is the same as ‘ukwu’ in Igbo that means ‘great’. Talk about, Ogwashi Ukwu, Ubulu Ukwu, Afara Ukwu (in Abia state) etc.

Benin & Igbo linguistically belong to same language branch. Precisely East Kwa/ Volta-Niger/West Benue-Congo branch of the Niger-Congo Group of languages. Same as Yoruba, Nupe, Idoma, Gbagyi, Ewe, Fon and several other Southern West Africa languages.

So not surprising that certain archaic or proto root words used before divergence remain in their modern forms. Some words may have been previously disused and then re-absorbed from its use by neighborly dominant culture at a particular time. Or always remained in use. The meaning or use of a word may even change as society evolves.
The story of four mysterious visitors visiting Nri king without giving their names, but the king cunningly found out anyway is a good legend. But that cannot stand any scientific scrutiny. grin cheesy cheesy grin

In Benin, the week days represent the FOUR cardinal points of East, West, North & South originally. Benin has had a royal guild of astrologers for a very long time. It was one of about 35 guilds. Including Royal Guilds of Physicians/surgeons (Ewaise), of Wood workers (Igbesamwan), of Bronze Casters (Igun), public order/police (Isienmwenro), of Leather workers (Isekpokin), of Bards/poets/composers (Ogbelaka), of Pipers (Ikpakofen) and so on. Nothing was left to chance.

These days were also dedicated each to the King and some senior chiefs for their palace activities/appearance. Although they became popular as days when markets with a royal charter/approval are allocated to trade. Before Christianity, Eken became the preferred day of rest and to worship to worship deities.
Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Nobody: 9:47am On Jul 12, 2020
AreaFada2:

Benin & Igbo linguistically belong to same language branch. Precisely East Kwa/ Volta-Niger/West Benue-Congo branch of the Niger-Congo Group of languages. Same as Yoruba, Nupe, Idoma, Gbagyi, Ewe, Fon and several other Southern West Africa languages.

So not surprising that certain archaic or proto root words used before divergence remain in their modern forms. Some words may have been previously disused and then re-absorbed from its use by neighborly dominant culture at a particular time. Or always remained in use. The meaning or use of a word may even change as society evolves.
The story of four mysterious visitors visiting Nri king without giving their names, but the king cunningly found out anyway is a good legend. But that cannot stand any scientific scrutiny. grin cheesy cheesy grin

[]bIn Benin, the week days represent the FOUR cardinal points of East, West, North & South originally. Benin has had a royal guild of astrologers for a very long time. It was one of about 35 guilds. Including Royal Guilds of Physicians/surgeons (Ewaise), of Wood workers (Igbesamwan), of Bronze Casters (Igun), public order/police (Isienmwenro), of Leather workers (Isekpokin), of Bards/poets/composers (Ogbelaka), of Pipers (Ikpakofen) and so on. Nothing was left to chance.[/b]

These days were also dedicated each to the King and some senior chiefs for their palace activities/appearance. Although they became popular as days when markets with a royal charter/approval are allocated to trade. Before Christianity, Eken became the preferred day of rest and to worship to worship deities.

It is only a mad man with believe the trash at bolded and your first paragraph.

Igbo-bini story is a concocted myth. Not of such exist.

The only verifiable story is Bini-Yoruba Story which have strong backing from all angles.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by AreaFada2: 10:12am On Jul 12, 2020
Osagyefo98:

It is only a mad man with believe the trash at bolded and your first paragraph.

Igbo-bini story is a concocted myth. Not of such exist.

The only verifiable story is Bini-Yoruba Story which have strong backing from all angles.
Well, well. As a veteran of Aro and the longest resident of YL, you will sure be familiar with why people believe it. grin cheesy grin grin
Chai! Too many pained people.

If you were a serious a person I would have invited you to see these things physically. Because they are still exist. Virtually unchanged.

All still play their roles till today. More ceremonially in some cases. Like the Europeans documented them and brass plaques and woodwork depicted them centuries ago.

The bronze casting district is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Clearly marked there by UNESCO. Go see for yourself.
Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Nobody: 10:26am On Jul 12, 2020
AreaFada2:

Well, well. As a veteran of Aro and the longest resident of YL, you will sure be familiar with why people believe it. grin cheesy grin grin
Chai! Too many pained people.

Nobody believed such rather you guys always try to propagate such to no end.

How can someone clearly see Bini-Yoruba history and have the temerity to doubt even what is visible as at today 10-7-20. Distorting history to suit projection can only do harm to you guys..

When talking about people history it is outrightly baseless to call Bini empire a kind of govt and aggressive one to say. Govt has no link to people's culture but rather outrightly political issues.

That been said, nothing on ground has ever laid credence to bini-igbo analysis. It is always weak analysis compared to Bini-Yoruba that has vast documented history and wide projections...the oluseguns, rotimis, obasekis, tundra, Topes didn't fall from tree...all arises from direct link and same lineage as Yorubas. Your oba sharing same with Yorubas is not a coincidence but a more solid link to yorubas..

In Igboland what exist is Obi, Eze, Igwe, Okpala-ukwu..not the other way..

Stop arguing something that is weak.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by AreaFada2: 10:32am On Jul 12, 2020
Osagyefo98:

Nobody believed such rather you guys always try to propagate such to no end.

How can someone clearly see Bini-Yoruba history and have the temerity to doubt even what is visible as at today 10-7-20. Distorting history to suit projection can only do harm to you guys..

When talking about people history it is outrightly baseless to call Bini empire a kind of govt and aggressive one to say. Govt has no link to people's culture but rather outrightly political issues.

That been said, nothing on ground has ever laid credence to bini-igbo analysis. It is always weak analysis compared to Bini-Yoruba that has vast documented history and wide projections...the oluseguns, rotimis, obasekis, tundra, Topes didn't fall from tree...all arises from direct link and same lineage as Yorubas. Your oba sharing same with Yorubas is not a coincidence but a more solid link to yorubas..

In Igboland what exist is Obi, Eze, Igwe, Okpala-ukwu..not the other way..

Stop arguing something that is weak.
Your commitment to Benin matter shows you are have a complex. Outside Benin and Yoruba issue, I have no stake and no interest.

So there is something special. Only something special attracts so many detractors.

Benin has been X rayed by detractors who claim it is not important. They are all getting bald head about it like a bald eagle.
Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 12, 2020
AreaFada2:

Your commitment to Benin matter shows you are have a complex. Outside Benin and Yoruba issue, I have no stake and no interest.

So there is something special. Only something special attracts so many detractors.

Benin has been X rayed by detractors who claim it is not important. They are all getting bald head about it like a bald eagle.

As far as that myth stops circulating we are okay. Such creations are harmful to the future and future country and must never be allowed to breathe.
Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by AreaFada2: 5:56pm On Jul 12, 2020
Osagyefo98:

As far as that myth stops circulating we are okay. Such creations are harmful to the future and future country and must never be allowed to breathe.
We are saying thing o. It still confirms the obsession we are talking about. I do not for example care about details of Jukun or Kanem history, legend, myths or whatever you choose to call it. Of course like all of world history I would read it to keep expanding one's horizon. But that is it.
People like you show that this generation is more bigoted than the previous generations. You dispute something but yet living evidence is there for you to see. They should disconnect all these Yaba Left internet connections with alacrity. grin cheesy tongue

I cannot imagine you being head of FESTAC '77 allowing the world acclaimed face of Queen Idia of Benin Empire to be its symbol. Simply because its Benin. Not from so called majority tribe. You would have concocted a mediocre WAZOBIA symbol that nobody could identify with. Just because of envy and bigotry.

At this rate Benin matter will just give you heart attack one day and Benin will continue to wax ever stronger. grin
Re: Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 12, 2020
AreaFada2:

We are saying thing o. It still confirms the obsession we are talking about. I do not for example care about details of Jukun or Kanem history, legend, myths or whatever you choose to call it. Of course like all of world history I would read it to keep expanding one's horizon. But that is it.
People like you show that this generation is more bigoted than the previous generations. You dispute something but yet living evidence is there for you to see. They should disconnect all these Yaba Left internet connections with alacrity. grin cheesy tongue

I cannot imagine you being head of FESTAC '77 allowing the world acclaimed face of Queen Idia of Benin Empire to be its symbol. Simply because its Benin. Not from so called majority tribe. You would have concocted a mediocre WAZOBIA symbol that nobody could identify with. Just because of envy and bigotry.

At this rate Benin matter will just give you heart attack one day and Benin will continue to wax ever stronger. grin

Not interested in your WAZO.

But any analysis Eastward shouldn't breath.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

African Dancing & Singing / Were There Fair Africans (non-arabs) In Africa Before The Europeans Came? / Itsekiri Is Yoruba Mr Jprice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.