Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,979 members, 7,806,858 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:37 AM

WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa (11403 Views)

WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped / African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-iweala From Vying For WTO Director / Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by Islie: 5:03pm On Jun 30, 2020
Nigeria’s candidate to head the World Trade Organization (WTO) said she feels “strong support” from Africa and expects African leaders to unite behind one candidate as sources following the race said she is gaining broader backing.

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, a former finance and foreign minister who has more than 25 years experience at the World Bank, is seeking to replace Brazil’s Roberto Azevedo who announced last month he would step down on Aug. 31, in a surprise move at a critical juncture for the body.

Africa has struggled in the past to unite behind one candidate and the Geneva-based watchdog has never been led by someone from the continent before, nor by a woman, and there is broad feeling it is Africa’s turn.

“I cannot presume for any group but I can tell you that I feel strong support from the region,” she told Reuters late on Monday, saying she was having “very constructive conversations” among the 164 members.

One delegate described her as “definitely the favourite”, especially since European Trade Commissioner Phil Hogan dropped out, and likely to be acceptable to China and the United States.

Egypt’s Hamid Mamdouh, a former WTO official, is also a candidate and was endorsed by the African Union months ago, before Okonjo-Iweala’s candidacy was announced.

The new head’s in-tray includes overseeing reforms, clinching a long-overdue multilateral trade deal, coping with a post-COVID recession as well as growing protectionism and U.S.-China trade tensions.

“The problems are very deep and challenging but they are not insoluble,” she said, stressing the need for reform including of the body’s top court which is a priority for Washington.

Critics say she does not have enough direct trade experience but she says being an outsider is an advantage. Backers laud her negotiating skills, including a deal to cancel billions of dollars of Nigerian debt.

“Over my long career I’ve managed to build relationships and platforms at levels high enough to be able to dialogue with the right people,” she said.

Nominations are open until July 8 at the WTO, which traditionally chooses a chief by consensus.

https://www.independent.ng/okonjo-iweala-wto-nominee-says-has-strong-support-from-africa/

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by supercase1(m): 5:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
Categorically, based on my intellectual capacity and my vast knowledge, tactically and tentatively, right from the beginning of times especially in the times of the light of Exodus evolution, I have come to a concrete, definite and profound conclusion that fulanis and hausa are the reason why Nigeria is not progressing
Thank you

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by Bethel4Life(f): 5:07pm On Jun 30, 2020
ok
Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by WoundedLamb: 5:07pm On Jun 30, 2020
First African, first woman... that's a tough call. I wish her the best.

38 Likes

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by BtcAirdrop: 5:08pm On Jun 30, 2020
I wish her success, she is truly a strong woman, and a good role model to our youths.

8 Likes

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by Bethel4Life(f): 5:08pm On Jun 30, 2020
supercase1:
Categorically, based on my intellectual capacity and my vast knowledge, tactically and tentatively, right from the beginning of times especially in the times of the light of Exodus evolution, I have come to a concrete, definite and profound conclusion that I actually have nothing to say... Thank you.
me all i have to say is Igbo amaka people to the world

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by Amotolongbo(f): 5:25pm On Jun 30, 2020
supercase1:
Categorically, based on my intellectual capacity and my vast knowledge, tactically and tentatively, right from the beginning of times especially in the times of the light of Exodus evolution, I have come to a concrete, definite and profound conclusion that I actually have nothing to say... Thank you.
May God bless you for being truthful

5 Likes

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by Karlifate: 5:41pm On Jun 30, 2020
The Egyptians you see today, you shall see them no more.

Kudos to NOI.

Egypt & AU has finally mellow, with all their initial gragra.

13 Likes

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by my2chains(m): 6:56pm On Jun 30, 2020
It shall be well with all of you reading this,

from today you all shall be blessed without measures!

Your cups shall flow unimaniginably well!

Op you shall live a ripe fruitfull old age,
your life is blessed

peace!

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jun 30, 2020
In other words....

"Her followers no be 1bn but the fanbase strong gidigan"
Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by Slawormir: 6:56pm On Jun 30, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

Go go our baby girl miss Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
Lets show the world we are the real niggarrrs of Africa

1 Like

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by Jakemedg(m): 6:57pm On Jun 30, 2020
Of course Madam Ngozi Okonjo Iweala as an African it's expected that Africans rally behind you

1 Like

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by Olareveals(f): 6:58pm On Jun 30, 2020
Check my profile
Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by Rawtruth1: 6:58pm On Jun 30, 2020
Before nko? Who can equal Igbo brain? Give one Igbo technocrat and economic wizard Nigeria presidency in 2023 and behold a completely transformed Nigeria like Dubai. Without any prejudice, Igbos have the intellect naturally

7 Likes

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by frog12: 6:58pm On Jun 30, 2020
can this woman go away

someone said the other day, that the administration force her name there.
now is the opportunity for her to withdraw.
Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by chidiebere2020(m): 6:59pm On Jun 30, 2020
Ok
Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by olioxx(m): 6:59pm On Jun 30, 2020
Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by Ayemileto(m): 7:00pm On Jun 30, 2020
Wonderful.
Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by NaijadrivaCars: 7:00pm On Jun 30, 2020
Chai, this would put 'darts' to the hearts of zombies.

5 Likes

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by GeneralPula: 7:00pm On Jun 30, 2020
Goodluck!
Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by IMO01: 7:00pm On Jun 30, 2020
hu
Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by jamalnation(m): 7:00pm On Jun 30, 2020
I hope she wins

1 Like

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by olioxx(m): 7:00pm On Jun 30, 2020
supercase1:
Your matter STRONG GIDIGAN.
Sha nor go enter street.

3 Likes

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by WakeNbaked: 7:01pm On Jun 30, 2020
Over support self, if them no appoint you we dey go burn WTO straight.
Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by Firstorderwizard(m): 7:02pm On Jun 30, 2020
Bad news for afonja muslims undecided
Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by itsIYKE(m): 7:03pm On Jun 30, 2020
Bj
Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by Arabiandude: 7:03pm On Jun 30, 2020
Bethel4Life:
me all i have to say is Igbo amaka people to the world
Do you know that she wouldn't have gotten this nomination if the FG had not done so?
Do you also know that if not for the FG strong backing, Ecowas that recently endorsed her wouldn't have done so?

Why don't you call Nnamdi Kanu to nominate and support her and ask FG to withdraw their support for her and expect Igbos to make her win?

So shut-up your mouth because this is not about any fvcking Igbo but Nigeria project.

The last time I even checked, NOI is from Delta State, Niger Delta, South/South.

8 Likes

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by itsme01: 7:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
They won't thank Buhari now
Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by Ogonimilitant(m): 7:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
Buhari knows that when it comes to merit, Igbos will get it for Nigeria
that's was why he changed his position from submitting abokis name.

He knows its only a Bifran can win this position based on merit

3 Likes

Re: WTO Nominee, Okonjo-Iweala, Says She Has “Strong Support” From Africa by emmabest2000(m): 7:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
More grace.to your life Madam

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Without Igbos, Nigeria Will Be Boring / El-rufa’i Dashed People’s Hopes — Kaduna Elders / Federal High Court Accredited Journalists, Not DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.