Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,493 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended (31116 Views)

EndSARS: Keyamo Speaks On Delta Shooting,Says Victim Alive, SARS Not Responsible / Keyamo Speaks On Relationship With Jerry Ikogho, Fraudster Nabbed By FBI / Festus Keyamo Speaks On The Crowd That Welcomed Buhari In Ebonyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by Edo2020: 6:06pm On Jun 30, 2020
The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Barr. Festus Keyamo, on Tuesday, said the processes of recruiting 774,000 Nigerians across the 774 local government areas for the 774,000 federal government job has not been suspended.

Barr. Keyamo stated this in a statement made available to Igbere TV, in reaction to the alleged suspension of the FG programme under the National Directorate of Employment (NDE) by the National Assembly, following his disagreement with them.

The minister was earlier in the day walked out of a meeting with the lawmakers, who had invited him to give details of the special public works programme, which aims to engage and pay 774,000 unskilled youths N20,000 for three months.

But in the statement, Barr. Keyamo said the National Assembly lacks the power to suspend the programme. He accused the lawmakers of wanting to dictate and control the programme, saying he would rather quit the job than compromise.

He, therefore, directed all the Selection Committees across the 36 States of the federation inaugurated on Monday, for the 774,000 jobs, to proceed with their work unhindered, saying “only Mr. President can stop their work.”

The statement reads,
“Today, in obedience to their invitation, I appeared before the Joint Committees on Labour of both the Senate and the House. The Distinguished Senators and Honourable Members sought to be briefed on the implementation of the Special Public Works Programme so far.

However, there was a misunderstanding between us when they questioned why I did not privately submit the program to them for vetting before taking certain steps. They suggested that they ought to have an input on how the programme should be implemented. In other words, they sought to control the programme as to who gets what, where and how.

However, I insisted that I could not surrender the programme to their control since their powers under the constitution does not extend to that. They insisted on a closed door session.

At this point, I remarked that it was only fair for me to respond to their position before the press, since their own position was also made public. In any case, I remarked that the Nigerian people deserve to know the details of the execution of this all-important programme.

I was then asked to apologize for insisting on a public interaction and I said there was nothing to apologize about, because their powers to expose corruption provided for in section 88 of the Constitution cannot be exercised in private. As such, there was no need to apologize by insisting on a Constitutional provision. Even their Rules that may provide for private hearings on public matters cannot override the provisions of the Constitution. I was then permitted to leave. I took a bow and left. I NEVER walked out on the respected Committees as they may want to bend the narrative.

After I left, I understand that the Joint Committees purportedly suspended the work of the Selection Committees nationwide until they decide how the programme should be run and who should be in those Committees. My opinion is that it is tantamount to challenging the powers of Mr. President.

I regret to say that their powers under section 88 of the 1999 Constitution is only limited to investigations, but NOT TO GIVE ANY DIRECTIVE TO THE EXECUTIVE.

A Committee or Committees of both Houses do not even have powers to pass binding Resolutions. They can only make recommendations to Plenary. In this case, even Plenary CANNOT give DIRECTIVES to the Executive.

All my life, I have fought for good governance and constitutional democracy. I will not come into government and be intimidated to abandon those principles. I will rather leave this assignment, if Mr. President so directs than compromise the jobs meant for ordinary Nigerians who have no Godfathers or who are not affiliated to any political party.

I therefore, respectfully further direct all the Committees set up nationwide made up of CAN, NSCIA, NURTW, Market Women, CSOS, Youth Organisations, respected traditional rulers, etc to proceed with their work unhindered. Only Mr. President can stop their work.”

https://igberetvnews.com/1356526/drama-senators-walk-minister-festus-keyamo-meeting/

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by Golan007: 6:16pm On Jun 30, 2020
Well said Keyamo. Well said.

108 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by SmartProf(m): 6:24pm On Jun 30, 2020
Brave man. A lot of those guys in the senate have boys and loyalists to settle with jobs. Infact in Naija once there is a job opening, many applicants abandon their CVs and certificates to begin looking for recommendation letters from high political offices. Oga Minister, just cut all their tickets

99 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jun 30, 2020
Gbagam!

9 Likes

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by Brandstudio01: 6:26pm On Jun 30, 2020
Thank God he is now my president.
This why people doesn't want me alive on Nairaland

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by UAE123(m): 6:31pm On Jun 30, 2020
In as much as I have no problem with the national assembly members having an input as to how the beneficiaries are to be recruited, I am against their desire to control or determine who gets the employment because their only aim is to make sure that only their loyalist benefit from it why the targeted persons are left out. Our legislatures to me are our biggest problem

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by Elsadam(m): 6:32pm On Jun 30, 2020
Nigeria shall be great

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by SaintBeehot(m): 6:33pm On Jun 30, 2020
undecided I never knew we still had such men with high integrity

79 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by my2chains(m): 7:11pm On Jun 30, 2020
It shall be well with all of you reading this,

from today you all shall be blessed without measures!

Your cups shall flow unimaniginably well!

Op you shall live a ripe fruitfull old age,
your life is blessed

you guys need more blessings!
And indeed you will get it
amen!

peace!

84 Likes 1 Share

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by NaijadrivaCars: 7:12pm On Jun 30, 2020
cheesy
Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jun 30, 2020
I stand with Keyamo on this. Even though I don't agree with a lot of his previous political positions, Keyamo has shown that he will fight for what he believes in irrespective of whose ox is gored.

Principled people like this are hard to find in our political space.

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by Icon4s(m): 7:13pm On Jun 30, 2020
White Elephant recruitment

1 Like

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by LaIabobo: 7:13pm On Jun 30, 2020
Well said SAN cheesy You accused someone in public and wants him to respond in a closed-session lmao
So the senate committee also wants to suspend a minister from doing his job?? Nigeria sha
They couldn't even wait to pass the recommendation to the floor.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by TransflectTP(m): 7:13pm On Jun 30, 2020
Nigeria my country

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by Bossontop(m): 7:14pm On Jun 30, 2020
undecided
The fact about this country is dat the politicians hate d masses...... Shikena!!!

9 Likes

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by jamalnation(m): 7:15pm On Jun 30, 2020
another drama in d making

1 Like

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jun 30, 2020
Bunch of rouges...suspend ko, suspend ni

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by yinchar(m): 7:16pm On Jun 30, 2020
The House of Representatives have met their match!

Useless bunch of people.

Both the Senate and the HoR needs to be disbanded.

They contribute to the problem of this country....without even considering the their massive pay.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by Hemanwel(m): 7:16pm On Jun 30, 2020
Where are those who called out Saraki in the last administration?

Oh, you have suddenly lost your voices, huh?

5 Likes

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by kolafolabi(m): 7:16pm On Jun 30, 2020
They wanted to hijack the process but we will not take it

9 Likes

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by DrHost: 7:16pm On Jun 30, 2020
HEROES AND HEROINES INITIATIVE
The Heroes and Heroines Initiative is an initiative whose mission is geared towards making impact in the lives of secondary school students through its diverse activities that bother on education.
As we propel our activities through online platforms with our committed volunteers,
we plan to provide the following services to tertiary institution aspirants/secondary school students;
Discussions on admission/career trends in Nigeria.
Online seminars on education, career choice sensitization and the likes.
Personal development workshops for participants.
Mentorship
Interested? Join by filling this form https://forms.gle/RvgARXkUeDmkNxAL8
For any enquiry, message/call these numbers;
Fehintoluwa: 09032212634
Augustine: 08167008223
Badirat: 08164649734

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by Lanretoye(m): 7:17pm On Jun 30, 2020
Lawmakers wey no sabi provisions of the law...
Custom dem hijack,police dem hijack,ministries dem hijack dem still wan hijack poor man business.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by Ripama: 7:18pm On Jun 30, 2020
Sad

2 Likes

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by Joshintua(m): 7:18pm On Jun 30, 2020
Good move by a brave man

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by Julibet: 7:20pm On Jun 30, 2020
Imagine if every senator and politician has this man's bravery. This country would have been better.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by GoldenJAT(m): 7:21pm On Jun 30, 2020
Them suppose exchange blow!! To show how serious they are.

2 Likes

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by shekauvsbuhari: 7:23pm On Jun 30, 2020
20k jobs that would last for only three months? That's why they want to fight. Is that what they would use to settle their boys? That's rubbish.

7 Likes

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by opey112(m): 7:23pm On Jun 30, 2020
He knows his onions... He is a SAN he understands the Nitty gritty

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 774,000 Jobs: Keyamo Speaks After Senate ‘Drama’, Says Recruitment Not Suspended by selfdefence: 7:23pm On Jun 30, 2020
before wetin concern dem concern the work

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Scores Injured As APC, PDP Thugs Clash In Lagos / In Response To "Ohanaeze's" Recent Claim Against Jonathan / NNPC May Reduce The Price Of Fuel Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.