Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,813 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

University Of Life, Why Practicality Matters. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Life, Why Practicality Matters. (194 Views)

Let’s Talk Life!! Why Do 3rd Class Graduates Do Better Than First Class Students / University Of Ibadan Rejects JAMB’s 120 Admission Cut-Off Mark / ASUU STRIKE: University Of Ibadan Terminates First Semester. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

University Of Life, Why Practicality Matters. by ForgingLife: 10:56pm On Jun 30, 2020
What’s that? Well, it’s what those individuals who have not had the good fortune to study at a “good” university would call experience.
We have heard on this blog that the delivery of many academic courses in Third World Countries can be abysmal, using outdated material, and presented by those with little knowledge of the practical application of the subject matter. It’s inexcusable, but the same paper qualifications are essential requirements by employers, irrespective of their value.

As an employer myself, my view is that an individual who is motivated to follow self-directed learning demonstrates dedication and character strength. I consider that those who have chosen to study in this way are more mature and committed and hence more employable.

We heard from one of the authors that he chose to drop out of his course and take responsibility for his learning. While that is both admirable and courageous, you should remember that it will only work when one is prepared and ruthlessly disciplined about managing your time, study, and life in general.

So, when it comes to employment, which comes first? Experience or theory? And how to get experience? You need the expertise to get the job you want, and you need a job to get the experience.

It’s a puzzle exaggerated for those without formal qualifications. Some professions, such as a pharmacist, are predominantly practical but they require a substantial underpinning theoretical knowledge. In this example, both theory and practice are essential. However, that is not always the case: customer-orientated services need a much more practical approach and one best learned on-the-job.

I do not have a magic answer: there isn’t one. But I do know that if you are willing to work and remember that all experience is valuable in some sense, the path you choose can be flexible, and not necessarily bound by academic constraints.

https://ogpar.is/university-of-life-is-practicality-worth-it/
Re: University Of Life, Why Practicality Matters. by LordIsaac(m): 7:00am On Jul 01, 2020
Nice piece

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Want To View Craziest Happenings In The World, Join Our Tv 07040154668 / Uniuyo:all Tuskites On NL Gather Here, Very Important / The Growth Of Arm Banditry In Northern Nigeria; The Role Of Negotiation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.