Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,424 members, 7,808,516 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? (42751 Views)

Faulty But Neat Sony Vaio Centrino Laptop For Cheap Sale: 25k Only. / Intel Centrino,intel Celeron,core Duo,core 2 Duo Architecture / Dell D600 PM centrino,1.4ghz,512Mb,40gb,DVD/CDRW,Wireless Laptop N71,500 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by natur(m): 2:09am On Jun 14, 2007
Can anyone tell me the difference between Celeron, Centrino and Pentium. I'm still confused, somehow.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by Jwhizzy(m): 11:01am On Jun 14, 2007
Celeron, centrino and pentium. From what I know, they all belong to Intel corporation.

Centrino is not a processor unlike celeron and the Pentiums (I stand to b corrected). Rather Centrino is a make up that has Pentium M as the processor and other add-ins. They are adjudged to be faster and produce less heat.

Celeron processors seem to have very high processor speeds but you can't trust them for high functionality like 3d gaming because they overheat. So a celeron 2.2Mhz for instance could b equivalent to a Pentium M wit 1.5-1.8mhz. So don't b decieved.

Suggestion: For your desktop, you can get a P4 or mayb a Celeron but gor your lappie, Pentium M is the best if you can afford it. If you can't, just go for a P3 or P4. For me celeron is a not good for a laptop because if your laptop ain't got 2 fans, then, you might as well be prepared to change the body pretty soon.

Centrinos are the machines from Intel that have Pentium M processors. Hope this is helpful?
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by karlken(m): 1:16pm On Jun 14, 2007
How good are mercury laptop products smiley
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by inze(m): 4:15pm On Jun 14, 2007
Well said Jwhizzy,

All u said stands correct, i use a laptop running on 1.73ghz, 256mb ram, 60GIG hard-drive, DVDrom and it serves me well as in processing speed and all that, just the fact that it generates lots of it when used over a long period of time (10 hours).

Asides that, you stand correct.

Big Ups.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by Jwhizzy(m): 4:34pm On Jun 14, 2007
10ks @inze.@karl,i once had an offer for a mercury celeron m 512mb 40gig for 60k.Gues wat?I turnd it down.Gues y?D same reason y d almost d whole world use windows os and few use linux.We r al usd 2 dell,hp n compaq.Atleast,u cn vouch 4 those.As 4 mercury,i dnt knw much.Its just like buyin a mitsuchaki or kawamuchi tv.Cn u get d parts.Do u trust d hardware.R there repair centres 4 it around.Think abt dat.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by natur(m): 8:51pm On Jun 15, 2007
@Jwhizzy,

Sure bug, your contribution is of help, and is define. But, tell me -- and I guess -- centrino is better-off considering this add-in, or maybe is not what I think. Can I know exactly what-and-what could be added to PM to make it a Centrino. Thanks Hell a lot.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by Rmomodu: 8:39am On Jun 16, 2007
Jwhizzy:

Celeron, centrino and pentium. From what I know, they all belong to Intel corporation.

Centrino is not a processor unlike celeron and the Pentiums (I stand to b corrected). Rather Centrino is a make up that has Pentium M as the processor and other add-ins. They are adjudged to be faster and produce less heat.

Celeron processors seem to have very high processor speeds but you can't trust them for high functionality like 3d gaming because they overheat. So a celeron 2.2Mhz for instance could b equivalent to a Pentium M wit 1.5-1.8mhz. So don't b decieved.

Suggestion: For your desktop, you can get a P4 or mayb a Celeron but gor your lappie, Pentium M is the best if you can afford it. If you can't, just go for a P3 or P4. For me celeron is a not good for a laptop because if your laptop ain't got 2 fans, then, you might as well be prepared to change the body pretty soon.

Centrinos are the machines from Intel that have Pentium M processors. Hope this is helpful?
@Jwhizzy,
You do stand to be corrected. Celeron laptops are old. There is a new version of celerons that have been produced and it is called celeron mobile (celeron m). This takes in the short comings of the previous version into consideration. It cools well and works fast. I know a lot of people that use celeron M laptops and they have not been complaining. The only problem celeron m laptops have is the bad image caused by the previous version
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by dejia(m): 9:20am On Jun 16, 2007
From the little experience i have with computers, i think Celeron is ok for most home users, people who simply use computer to type,browse and nothing extra- ordinary.
Most celerons running on ,400 or 533MHZ and are slower and cheaper than Pentium.i think is idea for internet cafes.

Pentium or MMX as most pple call it in nigeria, is Multi Media Xtension its very good for games,graphics, Media ( sound & video editting) its faster cos most of them run on 800MHZ. i think its idea for pple who really do alot on the pc.its its very rugged as well, if u need to compare it with a celeron is like comparing a KIA with a Toyota.

Centrino , are faster, they are like newer version of Pentium, but the most important difference to me is There Batteries last much longer than that of the Pentium 4 , the pentium 4 are also heavier in weight compared to the centrino ( this is only for laptops).

My conclusion, My broda, sometimes most of this things dont really matter, it depends on what u do on ur pc. and the software u use on them, i beleive most of this manufacturers are just coming out with newer stuffs to collect our money, its just like cellphones, becos now, we have some newer models called duo core or is it core duo model coming out. i feel i can still do most of my daily work on a celeron without any problem.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by fromuk(m): 10:31am On Jun 16, 2007
last week i went to buy a laptop from one of the leading PC store in Europe, i intended buy centrino but when i went their i fund out that centrino is almost not available. what on board now from Intel is Dual Core 2 Duo i asked one of the Tech Guys they have their he told me that Core 2 Duo is the letest in computer processor. I ask how he told me that with special CD you can record on both sides which centrino and others cant do.
Pls i want to know if this is correct as i have not opened the laptop i bought yet which i can easily send back if actually he decived me.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by Christino(m): 11:59am On Jun 16, 2007
fromuk:

last week i went to buy a laptop from one of the leading PC store in Europe, i intended buy centrino but when i went their i fund out that centrino is almost not available. what on board now from Intel is Dual Core 2 Duo i asked one of the Tech Guys they have their he told me that Core 2 Duo is the letest in computer processor. I ask how he told me that with special CD you can record on both sides which centrino and others can't do.
Please i want to know if this is correct as i have not opened the laptop i bought yet which i can easily send back if actually he decived me.

He was probably right all along but at this point, he's talking trash! unless of course you were'nt paying attention or you got carried away by the prospect of using an ultra modern laptop.

He was prolly refering to Multi Layer (or Double Layer) DVD +-RW.

Your processor speed has nothing to do with that, you can even purchase external devices to do that. Core2Duo is not only powerful, it emits less heats and thus conserves battery life.

It's relatively cheap, about $700 after rebate for the new toshiba with thumbprint recognition. Watch out for user reviews before you buy. Toshiba Satellite M series is bullshit, with no reset button and 95% thumbs down from users. That i think should come first!
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by darqly(m): 12:05pm On Jun 16, 2007
Good, I just learnt something. Then can someone can please explain where AMD Athlons fall into?? I know they're excellent for gaming as well.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by Niggy(m): 1:27pm On Jun 16, 2007
Processor can be categorized into
1. Performance processors
2. Econonic processors
3. Gaming

Pentiums, Centrino, Pentium M ,Core and the rest in this kind are performance rated.
Celeron is an econonic processor. Economic by been cheap.

A processor has the L1 and L2 cache. For celerons the size of the L1 and L2 cache is reduced compared to their speed equivalent pentiums and this is why it's cheap. This is the major difference between a pentium and celeron. Celeron is made from the same architecture pentiums are made from hence they can't radiate more heat or run slower than their pentium speed equivalent. Since it has a smaller L1 and L2 cache, it is not recommended for high end gaming or animation or strong computer works. Though i would work, but don't expect the performance u would ve gotten with a pentium.

Centrino is a brand name by intel. when a laptop has[b] Intel[/b] wifi, intel lan, intel Hub and pentium m processor, it is a centrino brand.

I know there is a new brand of celeron, call celeron D. I ve not reviewed that.

I ve used a celeron 2.6Ghz once, and i performed fine. I play Pro Soccer Evolution 6, wolfenstein and other good games without flaw.

I now use a Toshiba satellite pro A 120 with core solo 1.86Ghz processor. wink
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by castro(m): 3:37pm On Jun 16, 2007
Hi guys,pls who can tell me which of the three is most suitable for civil engineering softwares such as CIVILCAD,STAAD PRO and WATERCAD? can i use a laptop with a Pentium 3 for these softwares,please advice.Thanks a million.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by touche(m): 5:22pm On Jun 16, 2007
intel:
celerons r cheap ass processors, pentium r like ol skul, centrino's d shh (esp core-duo)

castro u'd need a pentium 4 (or pentium m), 512mb ram, > 2.0 Ghz processor (pentium) or lyk >1.7Ghz for centrino)
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by adomidoben: 7:29am On Jun 17, 2007
To everybody in the house,  please which computer desktop configuration is ok for home use. The specification must take care of the following: high speed, internet, DVD writer and rugged for children/parents handling. Do you advise on clone, Tokunbo or branded new one. Please present your explaination in clear english and not the usual broken english.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by Jwhizzy(m): 5:44pm On Jun 17, 2007
Well said house.But i stil maintain dat u stay off anytin celeron for laptops.Dis is cos celeron processors require more processor speed for high end operations especially 3d gaming n multimedia in comparison 2 their pentium counterparts.Hence,they r more likely goin 2 produc more heat,shorter battery life 4 ur laptop n wear out more easily.So weda its a celeron,celeron m or celeron d,be weary.Bt i gues it all coms down to d use u'd b putting ur notebook to.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by adomidoben: 2:15am On Jun 18, 2007
Will someone please give answer to my request above - concerning specification of desktop good for home use
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by ryu11(m): 9:16am On Jun 18, 2007
Hi all!!

Toshiba Satellite M series is bullshit, with no reset button and 95% thumbs down from users. That i think should come first!

I want to pick a Toshiba Satellite A135-S2286

is it part of the M series you mentioned.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by PHBABE(f): 3:04pm On Jun 18, 2007
wat about the AMD processors, are they good? how do they compare. i have been putting off buying a laptop too cuz i dunno wat to buy.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by inze(m): 6:21pm On Jun 18, 2007
@ PHBABE

AMD processors are crazilly cool, if you need a good laptop, i'll advice you go for the Alienware Laptop, when i begin to write down the specifications i know you'll go gaga, well here it is.

Better still, read for yourself

http://alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Aurora_mALX/aurora-m_specs.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AURORA-M-ALX&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT#pdp-nav

Enjoy
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by seun001(m): 7:22pm On Jun 19, 2007
well,u guys are really scaring me ooo.i had concluded plans to buy a laptop .its an LG brand.specification is as follows:

• R400-52PLAD
 SPECIAL FEATURE: Smart Camera; LG labtop with an inbuilt camera which can be used as a webcam enabling you take picture, videos and send across the internet

 OTHER FEATURES:
*CPU: Intel Celeron M Processor 430 (1.73HGz)
*LCD: Fine Bright 14.1” WXGA TFT LCD
* Video: Intel GMA 950 Graphics
* Memory: 512MB DDR2
*HDD: 80GB SATA HDD
*ODD: DVD/CD-R/W Combo
*Wired LAN: 10/100 Integrated Fast Ethernet
*Wireless LAN: 802.11b/g NIC
*Modem: 56K
*Bluetooth
Software Included:
*Window VistaTM Homebasic.

please really need a precise and objective appraisal of this laptop.also the review should include nigerian use.intermittent power supply and all problems associated with using a laptop in nigeria.i intend to use it heavily as time goes on.thanks in anticipation of ur replies.cheers
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by inze(m): 1:17pm On Jun 20, 2007
@Seun.

Thats laptop sure is a good one, depending on what you want to use it for, its almost the same specs with what i have now.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by dakmanzero(m): 1:55pm On Jun 20, 2007
@seun001

That laptop is a turkey.

1) 512 megs of RAM is utterly useless for vista, and you will curse the machine if it is XP with current software. I'm typing this from an nx8220 running XP, and until I upgraded it to 1GB memory recently I wanted to throw it out of the window. 1GB is the minimum for vista, and u really should not bother until u have 2GB

2) As a gamer, I will NEVER buy any laptop using intelGMA. I'd rather go for NVIDIA or ATI graphics. If you are a non-gamer, it may be sufficient, but nvidia/ati will give you the best of VISTA's new interface.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Grafic-Cards.130.0.html

GMA is class 4 or 5 on that list, I think.

3) Think very very very hard about a celeron M. That laptop is probably a Z-class that I saw once at LG showroom in Ikoyi and I identified the processor as a speedstep-disabled pentium M (see my post above to get clarifications). That means overheating and poor battery life. Tread carefully.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by SHOT(m): 2:10pm On Jun 20, 2007
nice and comprehensive lecture from dakmanzero. but u all shouldnt forget that cost implications.
nigerians want a cheap system as long as it can do wat they want for the main time. but if u are a gamer, video editor or into any thing graphics, then dont consider a celeron
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by dakmanzero(m): 6:55pm On Jun 20, 2007
Yes, I understand.

For a desktop, a celeron will usually be good, because the difference between p4's and p4-based celerons isnt good for nongaming tasks.

However this is a laptop discussion, and because of the lack of speedstep, most celeron lappys are not a good choice because of poor battery life, and you know NEPA.

also, Naija is a tropical region, you dont want an overheating laptop because the manufactirer may not have made provisions for the kind of temps it will reach ona dail basis. It could become unstable and fail early.

I however noted the BIG, SUBSTANTIAL cost savings on a celeron. As always, I say tread carefully.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by pierremarc(m): 8:29pm On Jun 21, 2007
please where does AMD come in? hola back
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by dakmanzero(m): 10:55pm On Jun 21, 2007
AMD is a different company

they have their own processor lines.

Theres much debate about their merits but generally you can expect this:

1) Desktop AMDs will typically outperform a similarly priced INTEL, sometimes by a factor of 2. With pentium4 it was embarrasing for intel how much more powerful AMD's were.

2) Compared to pentium 4, a lower clocked AMD would usually be faster. eg 1.7ghs amd beats 2.26ghz p4

3) The above is NOT true for LAPTOP chips, where the pentium M has always been superior and the Intel core 2 duo reigns supreme. HOWEVER AMD ARE CHEAPER, AND BETTER BATTERY LIFE/COOLING THAN MOBILE CELERONS.

4) Currently, AMD doesnt compete in the same space as core2duo. Core2duo is faster and better, but also more expensive, than anything AMD can muster.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by thegame(m): 1:11pm On Jun 22, 2007
you haven't mentioned the wireless capabilities.I own a toshiba tecra and the connectivity is full. You can't get that connectiity with pentium M as i understood and also celeron or centrino is the best for laptops not pentium.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by dakmanzero(m): 5:36pm On Jun 22, 2007
The CPU has nothing to do with wireless connectivity. Of course a pentium M can support wifi!

The only difference between a centrino and a non-centrino is that the Wireless chipset *may* not be by intel.

Since there isnt anything particularly amazing about intel wifi, this is a non-issue. If u need wifi, look on the box.

Also DUDE! don't get confused! What you said about celeron/centrino being better than pentium is complete nonsense! his is because centrinos include pentiums, and celerons are crippled pentiums. The person advising you was probably saying this:

Pentium M (what you interpreted as centrino) and celeron are better for laptops than pentium 4 (which you list as pentium). and this is absolutely CORRECT! I can't explain again, go read my post and if u are still confused hit intel.com and do some research.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by Ajodabile: 8:39pm On Jun 24, 2007
Celeron seems to be taking some flak, but here's some words from a Celeron user. I have a Compaq laptop with a Celeron M 1.86 Ghz processor, and 512 Mb of Ram. From the Nigerian point of view, Celeron is a winner because it is Cheap! I got mine for less than 60 grand (about $430), brand new!
Also, unlike what some have been saying, it also has the speed stepping feature (if by speed stepping it is meant the ability to reduce your processor speed in order to make the battery run longer)
And I have been able to compare it with my mother's laptop, a toshiba centrino with similar specs, but with a pentium M 1.76 Ghz processor, and I cannot tell the difference (In terms of computing power, heat radiation, gaming power and battery life). And guess what? She bought it for 170 grand. Thats the price of three of mine!.
I will always reccomen a Pentium if you have the money to spend, and if you want to say "my laptop has a pentium M processor" (and as you say it, you can glo with pride!) But the advantages, whatever they are, are too small to justify paying such a huge price.

(As an aside, Celerons are NOT defective Pentiums that did not meet quality standard, they ARE Pentiums with a certain amount of cache memory disabled. As such, they are slightly slower.)
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by dakmanzero(m): 10:00pm On Jun 24, 2007
@ajodabile

I am also a proud celeron owner cheesy my celeron-128 800mhz when overclocked could beat the p3's of that time due to low cache latency. And cost about 1/3 as much cheesy

Yours is probably one of these celerons:

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/celeron_m/index.htm

It does NOT have speedstep. It has something called low voltage tech, which is not the same thing. It cannot change speed dynamically, but it CAN lower its clock speed after a long period of disuse. However

NOT ALL CELERONS HAVE THIS FEATURE. you got lucky! Most people who buy a celeron M will suffer heat and low battery life.

You will also notice that your celeron has a locked multiplier of 24x, which means even if you have a good clockspeed, your FSB is throttled and ANYONE who knows anything about processors knows the FSB is where its at. You also have 1 MEG of your cache memory disabled

BECAUSE IT WAS DEFECTIVE

So u can't claim you have the same performance as a pentium M for gaming. The celeron M's are a bit better than most celerons because of the closeness in features to the paretnts, but they are still nothing more than crippled pentiums. The low low price however *does* make for a bargain deal. The advice is all there in my earlier post!

Also, dude, u got 512megs there. No way that thing is doing any serious gaming.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Thread For Cisco Networking / How To Remove The Win32 Virus That Turns Files To Shortcut On Ur Hdd,flash,mcard / 21 Amazing Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Google

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.