Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,324 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:20 AM

Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? (42750 Views)

Faulty But Neat Sony Vaio Centrino Laptop For Cheap Sale: 25k Only. / Intel Centrino,intel Celeron,core Duo,core 2 Duo Architecture / Dell D600 PM centrino,1.4ghz,512Mb,40gb,DVD/CDRW,Wireless Laptop N71,500 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by Ajodabile: 10:45pm On Jun 24, 2007
Manzero
My centrino DOES dynamically change the processor speed. I can even set the particular clock speed I want using the power management utility, and using the windows resource manager, I can follow its effect, But even that is not necessary, once it is running on battery power, programs that use a lot or processing power tend to slow up, because I SET IT THAT WAY TO PROLONG BATTERY LIFE. it does not wait to lower speeds after long periods of disuse. It lowers it once it is running on battery, or once i change the power profile.

Concerning the 512 megs and gaming, then we are no longer talking about processor power, but RAM capacity. I was comparing my Celeron M to a Pentium M of similar capability, and I could not notice the difference, wether I was doing serious gaming or not.

And let me say that I am a student, and when I am not working on my laptop, I am Gaming. Serious gaming.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by dakmanzero(m): 10:54pm On Jun 24, 2007
Lemme explain.

Speedstep varies your clock multiplier as you use the machine. That means that if I send a block of instructions to a ss-enabled Pentium M, it can change its multiplier on the fly and gain a higher core speed, with a constant FSB.

Your celeron uses Low Voltage Operation, which is a similar concept but only in theory. In this case, the switch is more mechanical than dynamic, and must be explicitly demanded, if not by software, by some form of hardware signal. It causes a change in core speed on an electronic level, slowing down ALL processes for the purpose of conserving power.You can select the clockspeed you want, and some nice utilities can help you switch low voltage on and off during use.

However , the net gain compared to speedstep is minimal, and since in most cases where LVM would be invoked, your lappy should have gone into standby anyway, the gains are usually minimal.

Dude. There are reasons why Intel sells celerons cheap. We all know they are nice processors, but trying to claim they are the equal of their parent processors is just futile and irrational.  In the past if intel ever discovered a celeron was close to its processor in performance, for whatever reason, they would ARTIFICIALLY cripple it.

disabling half your cache is due to a hardware defect, but locking your multiplier at 24x, throttling your FSB and removing speedstep are DELIBERATE actions by intel because they know many of u wont do tasks that will make u notice that half your cache is missing.

PS: Serious gaming, eh? don't make me laugh. Call me when your maching can handle Oblivion,quake 4 and rainbow six:vegas.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by adomidoben: 7:59am On Jun 25, 2007
Dakmanzo, Pls send your email address to me. adomi2007@yahoo.com
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by denex: 7:18am On Jun 26, 2007
HP Compaq presario V5204NR (EZ429UA)

Intel Celeron processor
15.4" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Display
40GB HDD
512MB DDR SDRAM
1.46Ghz
up to 128MB Video memory
DVD/CD-RW combo drive
Express Card/54 PC Card Slot
Expansion Port 2
microsoft windows XP Home.
N90,000 each.

Still in sealed in their packs. Phone or Text:08025328348
email: nexbestthing@yahoo.com
Yahoo messenger:nexbestthing

am always online.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by Ajodabile: 9:58am On Jun 26, 2007
Manzero, I guess I misunderstood the SS feature.
Note however, that I said I would always recommend a PM for whoever had the dough to buy it. But as far as price is a consideration, the difference inperformance - from my point of view - is not enough to justify the 3X increase in price.Or maybe I'm just overdefending my Celeron!

I do not know about the games you listed but how does Halo 2 compare?
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by seun001(m): 4:56pm On Jun 26, 2007
think am going o have to put this acquisition on hold.cos am really now confused.mayb i'd get one of u people online and chat u as to wot i really need.bt u all have been really informative.bt really i need a good laptop that will take anything that i garbage into it.dnt need a computer that will hassle me with battery life problems too.gues the price doesnt really matter to me so far i get a strong lappy.cheers
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by shango(m): 12:57am On Jun 27, 2007
darkmanzero, in an attempt to show off his knowledge on CPUs ended up not helping the OP of this thread.

Seun, if you have a 1000 dollars or more, look for a Intel Core 2 Duo Laptop. It has the best battery life/performance ratio, it is future proof (being a 64bit cpu) and its performance rivals most desktop computers out there. Any Core 2 Duo system, no matter how lowly clocked it is, can run Vista with all Bells and Whistles.

If you have less than 1000 dollars then get an AMD Turion 64 Laptop. It is also 64bit but doesnt have the performance of the Core 2 Duo. But it has great battery life and make sure you get one with a dedicated graphics card.

But if you can spend 1000 or more you can get a really sweet laptop nowadays. Which is what I recommend.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by dakmanzero(m): 10:10am On Jun 27, 2007
Yep, thats the biggest failure. The OP didnt understand my long post. I almost feel like deleting it now.

I just posted it cos so many people were giveing *mis* information. I'm hoping one of the 'gurus' here reads it and gets things clarified for himself so he gives better advice in the future.

As for advice to any laptop buyer, this is my general advice:

1) Ignore the word 'centrino' because it means nothing. Always check the ACTUAL specs.

2) take nothing less than core duo as main processor. If you are going for budget, go for Celeron, but consider buying an extra battery. It will still be cheaper than a core duo

3) Accept nothing less than 1GB ram, even if you are going for a celeron. NEVER accept 512megs.

4) If you are going for gaming, you must NEVER accept intel graphics. If you are not gaming and do not need 3d power, intel GMA is fine but not ideal- vista will be slower. ATI or NVIDIA graphics are more expensive but neccesary for gaming and the new glass vista interface.

5) Other accesories (hard disk, cd/dvd writer, bluetooth, wifi,screen,usb ports, internal speaker, TV out) are as per your personal preference/pocket

If you follow the above rules you should get a good laptop.

Remember, any laptop that has less than 1GB ram is a turkey.

Remember you should go for dual core. ONLY go for  single core if you are on a budget, and in that case go for a celeron and NOT a pentium M, because you may not notice the difference with todays' workloads. Pentium M will give better battery life but the expense will be too high. You are better off getting a core duo at that point.

Stay away from AMD on laptops.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by Seun(m): 10:22am On Jun 27, 2007
I think the size of the cache is more important than the number of processors on a laptop. I'd rather buy a single core Pentium M770 with 2mb of L2 cache (HP 510) than a dual core celeron. Celerons are just pure evil.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by dakmanzero(m): 8:15am On Jul 02, 2007
when the person's budget is low, i guess cache size isnt that much of an issue. Single core pentium Ms are too expensive for people on a budget, and almost impossible to use for someone who has gotten used to dual core. You *will* notice the extra thread contention. I'm typing this from a PM 1.86GHz and I have gotten used to a core duo 2Ghz. The difference is far more than 1.86 vs 2.0ghz. You DO notice the extra 'stickiness', so in my opinion a single core pM isnt really worth it, from both budget and performance standpoints.

But if u dont notice it, good for u
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by sojioguns(m): 1:59pm On Jul 11, 2007
The difference in these processors, apart from the core design is the size of the cache (L2 cache). Celeron has about 512KB cache, pentium M has 1MB cache, core duo has 2MB cache and core 2 duo has 4mb cache) So it boils down to what you use your computer for.
If you do multimedia work, then get at least a core duo with DDR2 RAM (1GB RAM)
Iif you do basic stuff, then get a pentium m with at least 512 MB RAM

If your laptop comes with Vista, make sure you have at least 1GB RAM on it. Vista is RAM heavy. And check the VGA card on it. select either ATI or Nvidia cards. The onboard Intel VGA cards are crap.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by earthrealm(m): 8:12pm On Jan 28, 2008
hello guys is there any diff btw core 2 duo n duo core?
am a lil confused, if so which one is better
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by sojioguns(m): 1:40pm On Jan 30, 2008
I would say go for the Core 2 duo. But make sure that the cache size is 4MB before you can notice any speed improvement. (you could check it on the box)
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by Seun(m): 1:46pm On Jan 30, 2008
Single core pentium Ms are too expensive for people on a budget, and almost impossible to use for someone who has gotten used to dual core.
Look for the HP 530 laptop. The better model comes with a solid Pentium M processor.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by kam27(m): 11:20pm On Feb 10, 2008
dakmanzero:

Yep, thats the biggest failure. The OP didnt understand my long post. I almost feel like deleting it now.

I just posted it because so many people were giveing *mis* information. I'm hoping one of the 'gurus' here reads it and gets things clarified for himself so he gives better advice in the future.

As for advice to any laptop buyer, this is my general advice:

1) Ignore the word 'centrino' because it means nothing. Always check the ACTUAL specs.

2) take nothing less than core duo as main processor. If you are going for budget, go for Celeron, but consider buying an extra battery. It will still be cheaper than a core duo

3) Accept nothing less than 1GB ram, even if you are going for a celeron. NEVER accept 512megs.

4) If you are going for gaming, you must NEVER accept intel graphics. If you are not gaming and do not need 3d power, intel GMA is fine but not ideal- vista will be slower. ATI or NVIDIA graphics are more expensive but neccesary for gaming and the new glass vista interface.

5) Other accesories (hard disk, cd/dvd writer, bluetooth, wifi,screen,usb ports, internal speaker, TV out) are as per your personal preference/pocket

If you follow the above rules you should get a good laptop.

Remember, any laptop that has less than 1GB ram is a turkey.

Remember you should go for dual core. ONLY go for single core if you are on a budget, and in that case go for a celeron and NOT a pentium M, because you may not notice the difference with todays' workloads. Pentium M will give better battery life but the expense will be too high. You are better off getting a core duo at that point.

Stay away from AMD on laptops.

I've had my Laptop for more than a year and It's AMD (Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology). To be sincere the system is Ok.
Why condemn AMD?
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by seun001(m): 8:52am On Feb 11, 2008
kam27:

I've had my Laptop for more than a year and It's AMD (Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology). To be sincere the system is Ok.
Why condemn AMD?

i guess u haven't been using ur sys heavily,
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by sojioguns(m): 11:20am On Feb 12, 2008
Pls dont condemn AMD oh! I am a fan. I know they used to have heat dissipation problems but i still think AMD makes the fastest processors on the planet. lol! The new turion dual cores are kisk ass.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by Neoteny(m): 12:12pm On Feb 12, 2008
heck no. amd on lappys arent bad, surprisingly even better than some pentium mobile offereings. run benchmarks on single threaded apps and see. right now dual cores are not fully utilized cos most apps are not multithreaded. besides amd's amd-v is better virtualization technology than intel and also amd is great for 64 bit systems.
Re: Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? by contact(m): 2:16pm On Mar 30, 2016
What of AMD?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Thread For Cisco Networking / How To Remove The Win32 Virus That Turns Files To Shortcut On Ur Hdd,flash,mcard / 21 Amazing Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Google

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.