Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,356 members, 7,780,962 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:25 AM

Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration (4291 Views)

INEC ‘can’t Say’ If Jega Will Be Removed / Jonathan Is A Trainee President - ACN / Ondo Discovers 14,000 Multiple Registration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by ASANIGBO(m): 5:05am On Feb 01, 2011
The Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) has raised the alarm over the capacity of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to detect multiple registration.

According to the major opposition political party, “the INEC server lacks the capacity to detect double or multiple registration, contrary to the lies that the nation has been fed with by the commission, verification is only at the machine level and not at the server level,” the party said in a statement issued yesterday in Abuja by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed.

The statement said: ‘’That means anyone who registers in five different centres, for example, can indeed vote in all those centres without being detected. This is contrary to what Nigerians were told and it is a national calamity,’’ it said.

The ACN challenged INEC to disprove the claim of its inability to detect multiple registration by demonstrating to all stakeholders how it plans to do it, adding that failure to do this, “the Federal Government must set up a panel of inquiry to investigate how the country can be taken for a ride on an issue that is so critical to national survival.”

The panel, it said, must find answers to the following posers: “Who advised INEC to procure a system that cannot detect double/multiple registration? Why did INEC lure Nigerians into a false sense of security that no one can get away with double/multiple registration?

“What, if any, is the level of complicity of the PDP-led federal government in this national calamity? What guarantee can INEC, and indeed President Goodluck Jonathan, now give that April’s general election will be free and fair?” the A CN said.

The party urged other opposition political parties, the Coalition of Democrats for Electoral Reform (CODER) and pro-democracy groups to hold a meeting urgently to find a way forward.

“It simply means that every time INEC wants to detect double/multiple registration, it will have to match each set of ten fingerprints of a voter against sixty million sets of ten fingerprints (assuming 60 million people were registered), and the technology procured by INEC simply does not have the capacity to do that.

The ACN said if “it took the British Police three years to establish a national finger print system, it is not what INEC can do in three weeks.”

“We are therefore left with no option than to conclude that the much-ballyhooed, N100 billion voter registration exercise will not produce a credible or accurate voter register. The voter register that will emerge will be packed full with fake names and riddled with double/multiple registration. Needless to say, therefore, that the forthcoming general elections will neither be free, fair nor credible,” it said.

ACN’s latest alarm over the voter registration is unjustifiable, the INEC said yesterday.

Chief Press Secretary to INEC chairman, Mr Kayode Idowu, said all expenses incurred on the procurement of the DDC machines were logically justifiable, adding that contrary to AC N’s view, the embedded software in the DDC would effectively detect multiple registrations once the date is aggregated at ward, local government, state and national levels.

“How could anyone say this is a hoax? The commission has put software in each of the DDC machines to forstall double registration. The truth of the matter is that double registration will be detected once the data are aggregated.

“For instance, if someone registers at two polling units in a ward, that double registration will be detected when the data get aggregated at the ward level.”

He explained that multiple registrations in different local government areas will be detected when the entire date is aggregated at the state level, while multiple registration done at different polling units in different states will be detected by the time the entire data is collected at the national level.

On the DDC machines, Idowu said INEC saved the nation millions of dollars by purchasing the equipment directly from manufacturer at lower prices.

http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/news/26524.html
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by Kobojunkie: 5:07am On Feb 01, 2011
ASANIGBO:

“the INEC server lacks the capacity to detect double or multiple registration, contrary to the lies that the nation has been fed with by the commission, verification is only at the machine level and not at the server level,” 

The statement said: ‘’That means anyone who registers in five different centres, for example, can indeed vote in all those centres without being detected. This is contrary to what Nigerians were told and it is a national calamity,’’ it said.

The ACN challenged INEC to disprove the claim of its inability to detect multiple registration by demonstrating to all stakeholders how it plans to do it, adding that failure to do this, “the Federal Government must set up a panel of inquiry to investigate how the country can be taken for a ride on an issue that is so critical to national survival.”

The panel, it said, must find answers to the following posers: “Who advised INEC to procure a system that cannot detect double/multiple registration? Why did INEC lure Nigerians into a false sense of security that no one can get away with double/multiple registration?

“What, if any, is the level of complicity of the PDP-led federal government in this national calamity? What guarantee can INEC, and indeed President Goodluck Jonathan, now give that April’s general election will be free and fair?” the A CN said.

“It simply means that every time INEC wants to detect double/multiple registration, it will have to match each set of ten fingerprints of a voter against sixty million sets of ten fingerprints (assuming 60 million people were registered), and the technology procured by INEC simply does not have the capacity to do that.

The ACN said if “it took the British Police three years to establish a national finger print system, it is not what INEC can do in three weeks.”

“We are therefore left with no option than to conclude that the much-ballyhooed, N100 billion voter registration exercise will not produce a credible or accurate voter register. The voter register that will emerge will be packed full with fake names and riddled with double/multiple registration. Needless to say, therefore, that the forthcoming general elections will neither be free, fair nor credible,” it said.

OH BOY!!!  tongue tongue tongue 

And only some days ago, I talked on how data integrity is to be questioned.
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by fstranger1: 5:11am On Feb 01, 2011
^^^

DO nothing woman, you wan start to criticize again

Cant you do without criticizing?
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by lekside44(m): 12:04pm On Feb 01, 2011
its a pity acn knows nothing about database. if queried, it will detect even families that have similar DNA structure. don't be deceived by politicians
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by Akolawole(m): 12:10pm On Feb 01, 2011
What is the essence of database then if it cant fish out multiple registration.

If it works perfectly with Nigeria immigration service in procurement of passport then it should work for INEC.

In alternative, maybe of the guys in ACN had registered in 2 places or the INEC stuff is NOT 'real-time'
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by violent(m): 12:14pm On Feb 01, 2011
I have always known that those expensive fake Chinese products in the hands of incompetent youth corpers would be the sole driver of a massively rigged electoral process.

Hurray!
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by usbcable(m): 12:14pm On Feb 01, 2011
most likely propaganda.
but its good  because it will make INEC sit up.
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by habbi: 12:40pm On Feb 01, 2011
Why double registration if the database is perfect!
na wa oh,
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by Muza(m): 12:58pm On Feb 01, 2011
violent:

I have always known that those expensive fake Chinese products in the hands of incompetent youth corpers would be the sole driver of a massively rigged electoral process.

Hurray!

u ar a big foool for the bolded part, grin
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by FrankC3: 1:16pm On Feb 01, 2011
I'm afraid that ACN may be right on this. I understand that data collation is not happening in real-time, so it is impossible to make on-the-site multiple registration detection. But INEC claims that there will be data collation in LGA, State and National levels. Database or no database, my guess is that you need a high capacity server that can call and match multiple fingerprint data against each other at short intervals and you can imagine what it is like if you are dealing with 60million(INEC estimate) fingerprint data.

You may also appreciate that INEC did not include cost of Central servers in their RFP. They only demanded for DDC and accessories. My guess is that INEC may not understand this issue until they get there. If INEC actually plan to detect multiple registration at different levels , then i expect that there will be Central Servers in each of these locations, but there is none as we are talking. I don't know these DDC machines to have the capacity that INEC is claiming. Either that INEC is deceived or they are deceiving us.
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by bisiaet: 1:25pm On Feb 01, 2011
So what is ACN suggestion or the solution?
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by lekside44(m): 1:27pm On Feb 01, 2011
Double registration is not just possile. a carmel could pass through the eye of a need, but you cannt register 2twice without been disqualified
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by koyuid(m): 1:29pm On Feb 01, 2011
It will be very expensive to have all the ddc machines connected on real time basis (i.e you will need 120,000.00 vsat conn) just for the purpose of detecting multiple registration. multiple registration can easily be detected when the data is being processed.
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by choice2(m): 1:52pm On Feb 01, 2011
Nairalanders, pls think b4 u talk. I guess ACN( Asiwaju Congress of Nigeria) find it difficult to do double registration. that is why the talking. Let wait and see. I dey laugh
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by deb(m): 1:53pm On Feb 01, 2011
some of us knew that before and we made noise about it but nobody listened.
We have just wasted almost N100billion on a futile exercise that cannot prevent rigging.
History will judge all these corrupt fellow that call themselves leaders and Jega is one of them
because he has refused to listen to the words of reason
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by deb(m): 1:55pm On Feb 01, 2011
choice2:

Nairalanders, pls think b4 u talk. I guess ACN( Asiwaju Congress of Nigeria) find it difficult to do double registration. that is why the talking. Let wait and see. I dey laugh

I feel you should think more before you post. ACN has dared INEC to prove them wrong.
I think that is what we should all be clamouring from INEC to do now. Some people need to go to jail for this really
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by ssfWeShss: 1:58pm On Feb 01, 2011
INEC should stop lying and let people know the truth as to whether its possible to multi-vote or not,  (im thking of voting for either ribadu or goodluck, multi voting will enable me do both!!!)  grin cool wink smiley
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by naso2(m): 2:10pm On Feb 01, 2011
people will just post and comment on things they know nothing about.  Is it that ACN does not have technical consultants to explain how these things work or Lai is just on another noise making trip? I cant believe he said this:

Well the response from INEC is clear enough for anyone who has no hidden agenda

“For instance, if someone registers at two polling units in a ward, that double registration will be detected when the data get aggregated at the ward level.”

He explained that multiple registrations in different local government areas will be detected when the entire date is aggregated at the state level, while multiple registration done at different polling units in different states will be detected by the time the entire data is collected at the national level.
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by KokoBeware: 2:19pm On Feb 01, 2011
INEC does not need to match the finger prints of each person with 60million nigerians, it is going to be done at LGA and State levels which is feasible and the machines dont need to be real time after the exercise the will collate the data and compare,

i just wish JEGA will print out some names of double registered people after the registration exercise to silence the critics, if not the ACN guy will definitely have more to say
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by anonimi: 2:45pm On Feb 01, 2011
Chase the Hooligans-in-Power (HiPs) out and vote in better candidates.

Remember to RSVP -

Register;
Select and sponsor(your candidates);
Vote;
Protect your votes;

Let this be our motto for this election period.
Copy and text the motto to as many as possible on your GSM (and/or email) and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by lwise(m): 2:52pm On Feb 01, 2011
I believe most of our leaders are illiterate despite their level of education.
I dont think you need any technical detail b4 you know how to figure out things like this.
At the collation center you can easily detect double registration even two people with the same name.
Except if INEC intentionally want to frustrate their own effort,this coming election will surely be fruitful.
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by Kobojunkie: 2:53pm On Feb 01, 2011
lekside44:

its a pity acn knows nothing about database. if queried, it will detect even families that have similar DNA structure. don't be deceived by politicians

Did you bother reading the article? It actually explains a lot of how a DATABASE is not a SOLVE ALL in this case. Data  in a database is as good as the users who enter it, and NO, detecting duplicate data is NOT AS EASY as you think. The article also goes into explaining that stress to you.

I suspect INEC may have to, right after this exercise, get into intensive DATA CLEANING mode, probably till election day itself to get this one done right.
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by texazzpete(m): 2:57pm On Feb 01, 2011
Kobojunkie:

OH BOY!!!  tongue tongue tongue 

And only some days ago, I talked on how data integrity is to be questioned.

What the hell is the matter with you? Are you so caught up in your pessimism that you won't even exercise your brains?
The ACN fellow has NO SHRED OF PROOF whatsoever that what he is saying is correct. he has no clear or total picture of what INEC's backend technology is. All the man is saying is : "INEC, you people cannot do it. Oya, if you can detect multiple fingerprints come and give us a public demonstration"

In other words, the Alhaji Lai Mohammed is just TROLLING.

The INEC guy's response is apt. The data will be aggregated at ward level, then at local government level, then at state level. Nobody's gonna do multiple registrations across different states. Hell, most people who will try to do multiple registration will attempt it in different polling units in the same local government. As a result, the verification will typically be done with only a dataset numbering in the tens of thousands. Hardly the 60 million that the ACN dolt is spouting.

deb:

I feel you should think more before you post. ACN has dared INEC to prove them wrong.
I think that is what we should all be clamouring from INEC to do now
. Some people need to go to jail for this really

You don't just make wild claims then 'dare' people to prove them wrong.
Oya, i think you're a hermaphrodite. I dare you to post nude pics of yourself to prove me wrong otherwise we all agree you are one.

See how brainless that sounds?
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by texazzpete(m): 3:00pm On Feb 01, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Did you bother reading the article? It actually explains a lot of how a DATABASE is not a SOLVE ALL in this case. Data  in a database is as good as the users who enter it, and NO, detecting duplicate data is NOT AS EASY as you think. The article also goes into explaining that stress to you.

I suspect INEC may have to, right after this exercise, get into intensive DATA CLEANING mode, probably till election day itself to get this one done right.

Did you bother to read the INEC rep's response?

Detecting duplicate data is not as difficult as you think. Especially when that check will be done at ward level.
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by Kobojunkie: 3:04pm On Feb 01, 2011
texazzpete:

What the hell is the matter with you? Are you so caught up in your pessimism that you won't even exercise your brains?
Stating the obvious is pessimism, I get it. But please focus on the topic some more.

texazzpete:

The ACN fellow has NO SHRED OF PROOF whatsoever that what he is saying is correct. he has no clear or total picture of what INEC's backend technology is. All the man is saying is : "INEC, you people cannot do it. Oya, if you can detect multiple fingerprints come and give us a public demonstration"

I am not a fan of the man myself but that does not mean the contents of the article are to be ignored or that he is wrong as a result. Note, ACN is challenging INEC here. INEC can either accept the challenge or pretend the data is clean.

Like I already tried explaining, Database DO NOT offer automatic data integrity. The data in a Database is just as good as data entered and so there are high chances in this case that INEC will have to get into some serious data cleaning exercises. I read both and I believe there will definitely need to be some scrubbing of the data collected at the end of the day.

texazzpete:

The INEC guy's response is apt. The data will be aggregated at ward level, then at local government level, then at state level. Nobody's gonna do multiple registrations across different states. Hell, most people who will try to do multiple registration will attempt it in different polling units in the same local government.  

Considering people can travel and do travel. It is not far-fetched to believe some people probably registered in different states already. But again, one does not have to travel to another state to register more than once. According to some, it is already possible to do that in the same registration zone. So, aggregating data at ward level and so on, DOES NOT GUARANTEE integrity.
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by Kobojunkie: 3:07pm On Feb 01, 2011
texazzpete:

Did you bother to read the INEC rep's response?

Detecting duplicate data is not as difficult as you think. Especially when that check will be done at ward level.

What has doing it at ward level to do with ease of detecting duplicates or other inconsistencies in the database?
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:13pm On Feb 01, 2011
Kobojunkie:

What has doing it at ward level to do with ease of detecting duplicates?

Ask me ooh? our barely competent leadership expect us to digest their incoherent and illogical explanations hook-line-sinker and not take a dump for weeks. grin Imagine the other incompetent crashed Satellite saga when they explained that the Satellite was faulty and had to be parked grin I guess Coscharis mechanics would have been rocketed to location to fix the faulty satellite from there they can release the hand-brake grin

Why there is a lot of doubt and criticism over such initiatives by INEC is that they have not shown step-by-step how they can assure that our votes will really count and that voters are not digital ghosts in the machine
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by onyengbu1(m): 3:16pm On Feb 01, 2011
For someone to come here and claim that it is hard to authenticate entered data in order to fish out double registration is a clear demonstration of naivety of database and programming issues.

Its one of the simplest script any programmer can write.

Though such scripts can be manipulated as kobojunkie is claiming here but it has to be someone who has HACKED into the 'system' and not just any ordinary data entry guy that feels like doing double registration.
People can register more than once on different databases but will be fished out when all the databases are reconciled.
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by Ty207: 3:21pm On Feb 01, 2011
inec is right the ddc machines will detect double entries at state/federal level(when they integrate the data together) for God sake it is not possible to detect that now because the machines are not connected to server to do that inec will need another N40billion, lol
Internet/server for 50,000 ddc machines no be small tin o! Guest Jega is trying to manage our funds grin
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by Kobojunkie: 3:22pm On Feb 01, 2011
^^^ For 60 million records, you are way below . . . lol
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by onyengbu1(m): 3:35pm On Feb 01, 2011
@kobo,
It MIGHT be that costly because because each center will need earth stations to get them networked with the main server of the INTRA NET.

Unless you expect inec to host their centranl database accessed by the INTERNET.
That will be very dumb, u know.
Re: Acn: Inec Can’t Detect Multiple Registration by Kobojunkie: 3:40pm On Feb 01, 2011
lol . . you are so on a different level with that one. lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cameroon Dam Release:the Conspiracy! / Nnamdi Kanu Challenges A Pro-nigerian / Recent Developments In Eko Atlantic City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.