Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,181 members, 7,807,580 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition (46976 Views)

Equatorial Guinea Vs Cote D'ivoire: AFCON 2023 (4 - 0) On 22nd January 2024 / Athletes Representing Nigeria At Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022 (Full List) / Athletes Representing Nigeria At Tokyo 2020 (Full List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by PureFace1(m): 6:36pm On Jul 02, 2020
A Nigerian chess champion has been stranded in Cote d'Ivoire after representing Nigeria in a competition

After representing Nigeria at the competition in Sierra Leone, Adu attempted to get to Lagos via road trip but has been stuck in Cote d'Ivoire

After travelling from his base in the United States to represent Nigerian at the Zone 4.2 Individual Chess Championship in Freetown, Sierra Leone which ended on Friday, March 20, 2020, Oladapo Adu has been unable to return home and has now been stranded for more than 12 weeks in Cote d’Ivoire due to the coronavirus lockdown that led to restrictions in traveling.

After the competition was cut short in Freetown, Adu had attempted a road trip back to Lagos but was turned back at the Cote d'Ivoire-Ghana border by Ghanaian police.

The chess player said he is broken over the situation as he is currently staying strangers.

"I'm just waiting for borders to open on July 15th and then head back to Nigeria," Adu told Pulse.

For him, this has been a traumatising and demoralising experience.

Adu said he has had to move from one accommodation to another while in Cote d'Ivoire. He eventually got help from a pastor in Lagos who connected him with where he is currently staying.

He explained that the competition went on during the early stages of the coronavirus in Africa but was quickly ended on March 20 when the situation got more serious.

Even more disappointing for Adu, he has been unable to get any sort of help from the Nigerian government and the Chess Federation.

Adu was selected alongside four players to represent Nigeria at the competition and he as usual funded himself.

"They select people but they always ask you to fund yourself which we've done," he said.

Adu has won the competition back to back in 2015 and 2016 and was looking towards a third win in the yearly tournament which serves as a qualifying tournament for the Chess World Cup.

Oladapo Adu is a two-time winner of the said competition.

The other players who represented Nigeria were lucky to leave with other airlines before the lockdown but his Air Cote d'Ivoire flight was cancelled.

"I actually bought my flight ticket in the US before coming to Nigeria," he said.

“I left the USA to Freetown to represent Nigeria and this is all I get for it - nothing," he said.

He sought help from the Nigerian embassy and has been in touch with the Nigerian Chess Federation but has been unable to get any help.

The President of the Nigerian Chess Federation, Adeyemi Lekan, however, told BBC Sport Africa that he has been in constant communication with Adu and claimed to have reached an agreement with the Ivory Coast Chess Federation president to provide a monthly sum of N91,000 ($200) to Adu for his upkeep although Adu also insisted he has not received such money.

The Ivory Coast Chess Federation President, however, also confirmed in the report that he has not reached any of such agreement but said he gave the sum of N78, 000 ($172) to a chess player that hosted Adu at his home.

https://www.pulse.ng/sports/more/oladapo-adu-a-nigerian-chess-champion-has-been-stranded-in-cote-divoire-after/rm97vb3

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by majamajic(m): 6:43pm On Jul 02, 2020
Not again

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:54pm On Jul 02, 2020
Adu was selected alongside four players to represent Nigeria at the competition and he as usual funded himself.

"They select people but they always ask you to fund yourself which we've done," he said.
He has done his best for his nation.
Even funding himself in previous tournaments.
He has won the competition back to back for the country in recent past.

The federal government and chess association of Nigeria should do something about this ASAP.

This is one of the people making our darling nation proud out there.

If you are reading this,
We assure you that something will be done this weekend....unfailingly.

God bless you Mr Adu!

134 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jul 02, 2020
Project Nigeria failed.. A whole chess champion stranded..

How I wish I can wake Azikwe from his grave and give him a good knock on his head for objecting secession... Azikwe, no worry na he'll u dey go

Modified: my igbo kinsmen are attacking me... All bcox I said the truth, they have turned to attack mi.. But the truth is the truth..

The truth is,

Hausa are great

Igbos are greater

Yorubas are the greater greatest

And our God, Chineke is the great greater greatest

I am igbo man but I av always love yorubas all Tru my life..

Since I left Abia state when I was 25, I av lived wit the yorubas for almost 25 years and they are the greatest.. Very accommodating, silent achievers..
Infact I can deny my igbo and change to yoruba.

I married a Yoruba, my kids bears yorubas name..

God bless the Yorubas

They are the west just like America, Europe and so on..

God bless my igbos too

147 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:54pm On Jul 02, 2020
majamajic:
He should relax na , or come down to Nigeria

107 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by lordlugards: 8:54pm On Jul 02, 2020
Only One comment and it made FP.
Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by Michaelmercy(m): 8:54pm On Jul 02, 2020
Sincerely, being a Nigerian is one of Mistakes you must avoid in your next life grin

85 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by Goldencheese(m): 8:54pm On Jul 02, 2020
Nigeria, Nigeria, una no ever dey disappoint. A whole Chess Champion for the country stranded without upkeep? cry cry cry

27 Likes

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by HeartofGod1: 8:54pm On Jul 02, 2020
grin
Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by mcdokwe(m): 8:54pm On Jul 02, 2020
Is our President aware?
Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by SmartPolician: 8:55pm On Jul 02, 2020
When we tell them that the country is a deep shithole, some senseless idiots are angry

14 Likes

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by vicarsenal(m): 8:55pm On Jul 02, 2020
God dey.. Pẹ̀lẹ́

1 Like

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by Jerrick(m): 8:55pm On Jul 02, 2020
You fvck with the wrong country grin

18 Likes

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by MoodysMood: 8:55pm On Jul 02, 2020
He should trek home na. Isn't trekking part of the competition? undecided

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by LosC: 8:55pm On Jul 02, 2020
Send NAF jet to pick him up. He's an asset

10 Likes

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by Ayantoyeopeyem(f): 8:55pm On Jul 02, 2020
sorry bro, but need I remind u? NOTING DEY FOR NAIJA!

2 Likes

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by Onyekachi419(f): 8:55pm On Jul 02, 2020
Nigeria will forsake you grin

19 Likes

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by Enemyofpeace: 8:56pm On Jul 02, 2020
Nigeria na country?why him too go represent jungle? Mtcheew

14 Likes

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by gambia(m): 8:56pm On Jul 02, 2020
You better remain there.

3 Likes

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by sirblend: 8:56pm On Jul 02, 2020
Good for him.
After the competition he wanted to stay behind to knack Ivorien women.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by BanevsJoker(m): 8:56pm On Jul 02, 2020
majamajic:
Will it kill you to read?

37 Likes

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by sirblend: 8:56pm On Jul 02, 2020
Ool
Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 02, 2020
majamajic:
say no to weed grin

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by Perfecttouchade: 8:56pm On Jul 02, 2020
And it's another one
Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by Roon9(m): 8:56pm On Jul 02, 2020
Lmao! Dunno why I find this news hilarious.
Onujuvwe? lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by Kendumazy(m): 8:56pm On Jul 02, 2020
Just imagine!

1 Like

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by martineverest(m): 8:57pm On Jul 02, 2020
Enemyofpeace:
Nigeria na country?why him too go represent jungle? Mtcheew
read first b4 spewing thrash

3 Likes

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by AmazingELixir: 8:57pm On Jul 02, 2020
grin

We have somany things bothering us like the new stamp duty administration abeg!...he should find his way home joor.

1 Like

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by ObaOfIgbos1: 8:57pm On Jul 02, 2020
sad
Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by samuel19222(m): 8:57pm On Jul 02, 2020
F
Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by Aboguede(m): 8:57pm On Jul 02, 2020
Wise country grin

They know they are doing him more help to allow him use 9ja name for his glory shocked

4 Likes

Re: Oladapo Adu Stranded In Cote D'ivoire After Representing Nigeria In Competition by crossfm: 8:57pm On Jul 02, 2020
APC government will be like,who send you.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Meets New Juventus Teammates For The First Time (Photos) / Manchester United Fans Celebrate Mourinho’s Sack / Jay-Jay Okocha In Court On Money Laundering Charges In Aberdeen, Scotland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.